Sign in to follow this  
donkey33

Sony Bravia Making Humming/buzzing Sound

My 46x only got loud once when the room temp on the aircon said over 20 degrees ... at which point it immediately made the same noise as 20 on the volume ... I was iffy over the bezel and chanel changing and clouds and dark corners and that once off fan noise helped me opt for the refund.

Well, I spoke to Sony yesterday and went through the whole saga with them. They were quite willing to listen to my story and requested that I take my unit back to the service centre (which I did today) so they can re-assess it. Hopefully they'll agree to replace it with a new one that has no noise.

I'll post again when I know more.

Adam.

Edited by adamd

Just thought I would let you know i had the head tech come out from european electronics today and upgrade the tvs main firmware to 2.107.

Believe it or not it actually worked. Like it has been said before the fans go to spin up but are then slowed down and are not audible at all. The only thing i can hear is a slight buzzing which i cant hear from more than a foot away with the tv on mute.

I would suggest anyone who has had the firmware upgraded check that their firmwaare is actually 2.107 as the first tech said it had upgraded but when i checked it was still 2.105. I posted details earlier in this thread on how to do it.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Adjac.

Has anyone who's successfully had the firmware updated found that a few months down the track the humming has started to increase?

I had the firmware updated back in April which eliminated the humming - you'd have to put your ear up next to the tv to hear anything. But a couple of days ago I noticed a hum again. Nowhere near as bad as it was mind you, but not silent like it was after the upgrade. After turning the tv on, after the initial noise when the fans start up, they don't fade away to complete silence like they used to.

I'm probably being pedantic cos it's still heaps better than it was originally, but since I've had three months of absolutely no humming noise I'd like to get back to that.

Its 2.107

Thankd for the instructions....turns out my firmware is 2.105.

How do I upgrade as my fan noise is becoming ever so increasingly louder!! (Not quite a Cesna but getting there!)

Thankd for the instructions....turns out my firmware is 2.105.

How do I upgrade as my fan noise is becoming ever so increasingly louder!! (Not quite a Cesna but getting there!)

Simply call Sony for warranty servies and told them that you had this humming problem and ask them to send a technician for firmware upgrade which will fix the problem !! good luck !!

Those who have had a Sony technician out to their house to upgrade the bravia firmware, how long did it take for the technician to come after ringing up Sony?

Those who have had a Sony technician out to their house to upgrade the bravia firmware, how long did it take for the technician to come after ringing up Sony?

Technician tells me this is a well know fault...the constant humming. He has got it now and will update the firmware but says these aren't known to be very successful.

Sony better replace this thing if it doesn't work or i will be fuming. I know my work has to replace our products when found faulty, and this is no different.

What needs to be done to your Bravia to get this firmware done?? Do you need to send away or rake it in?? Does the tv need to Bern removed from where it is?? Does it need to he opened up?? Just that I have my setup all nice etc and I font really wanna pull it all apart now

Hey folks.

Just found this thread as I've just noticed my X series Bravia KDL-40X3100 is making this whirring noise described in this thread. It's using firmware 2.14.253.

Is it possible to do a firmware upgrade for this TV via USB or would I need to chase Sony to do this even though it's likely to be out of warranty?

Hi All,

Like aramis, I just found this after noticing increasingly loud fan noise from my 46X3100. Has anyone had the firmware done out of warranty? Did Sony cover the cost? If not, could you give an indication of what it cost for a tech to do the upgrade?

I have a 46" bravia (KDL-46XBR) and it makes a really bad high pitch buzzing sound. It's so noticeable that we had to relegate the 46" XBR to the spare room. As we rarely used I totally forgot about the issue, however now the TV is back in use and it's a real problem that I want to address.

I bought it in 2008 and also purchased a 5 year warranty for it, which expired in July I think! During about the 3rd year the panel suffered the fault where the back light failed on one side of the screen, causing horizontal streaking. The panel was replaced and ever since then the TV hasn't been up to standard. I'm pretty sure the buzzing started at this point, and at the same time inconsistent backlighting appeared on the panel, i.e. the screen is on but blank, there are noticeable areas of high light, mainly associated with the corners and edges or the screen.

The uneven backlight is tolerable, however the high pitch buzzing noise definitely is not. I've had a read around Sony's support website (where I found some suggestions for minimising the uneven backlight......pffffft!) and came across a section pertaining to firmware updates. My KDL-46XBR does not have an ethernet port, so is it actually possible to update the firmware on this manually via a USB port?

Although my TV is now out of warranty I think I'll call up Sony and have a whinge, and see how receptive they are.