Sony Bravia Making Humming/buzzing Sound

Read the last 10 pages mate. Plenty of comments throughout.

I think I'm done. The buzz has pretty much gone and is now a very low hum. I can only hear it if there's absolute silence and I have the TV on mute.

Otherwise, back to enjoying 1080p goodness....for now anyway.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had noisy Fans replaced today on my 46X3100.

Only a very slight improvement - however - still completely unacceptable.

The fans that were taken out were Nidec UltraFlo 40mmx40mmx10mm .

ie Model U40X12MLZ7-53 and were 14dB (see full specs here): Nidec Ultraflo

Technician was quite reasonable and agreed that it definitely was unacceptable and next step is to try the Firmware fix.

(However - he is unable to install the firmware fix until next week.)

Will let you know how it goes.

Hi, had the local technician out again last Thur 10th April.

This time he had the firmware fix with him to install into my 46X3100.

It was successful.

The fan noise is now not audible unless you place your ear within approx 15cm from the top of the unit. (ie its effectively inaudible)

On startup, after approx 10 secs you get about 0.5secs of fan noise (during the inrush current startup for the fans)

and then all goes quiet.

Wonder why SONY hasn't put this in the units as standard....

Hope I don't find out in a years time...

Meanwhile - very happy with the units performance.

I'm running Media Portal with the XFace skin on my HTPC (at 1080P via HDMI) - looks great...

Media Portal - Xface skin

Had the firmware upgrade done on my tv about 2 hours ago. Will not know the full outcome till later tonight when its more quiet.

The service tech said it also upgrades the digial turner as well as fixing the dissapearing channels.

He had no idea about the dvd upscaling problems im having with this tv(the sides not looking right) and recommended calling sony back. He belives that upscaling to 1080p on SD Material is not perfect.

Had the firmware upgrade done on my tv about 2 hours ago. Will not know the full outcome till later tonight when its more quiet.

The service tech said it also upgrades the digial turner as well as fixing the dissapearing channels.

He had no idea about the dvd upscaling problems im having with this tv(the sides not looking right) and recommended calling sony back. He belives that upscaling to 1080p on SD Material is not perfect.

Where are you loated Rabidwolve? I have a tech coming out from euro electronics on wednesday. I am worried that they wont hear what i am hearing because it is only obvious at night when it is quiet. Did he agree the noise was an issue? Was it obvious when you showed it to him? Let us know how the fix goes.

Cheers,

Adjac.

Im located in Lidcombe NSW.

Instantly the tech was aware of the noise and agreed it was loud. Then after the firmware fix we just had a listen close to it and you could still hear some noise from the back.

Unable to get a clear indication if it really improved as construction is going on across the street from my place which strange enough they pumped up the workload when the fix was going in.

If it happens at night when its quiet im still kick up a fuss. I play on low volume at night so others can sleep. I want my tv whisper quiet.

Im located in Lidcombe NSW.

Instantly the tech was aware of the noise and agreed it was loud. Then after the firmware fix we just had a listen close to it and you could still hear some noise from the back.

Unable to get a clear indication if it really improved as construction is going on across the street from my place which strange enough they pumped up the workload when the fix was going in.

If it happens at night when its quiet im still kick up a fuss. I play on low volume at night so others can sleep. I want my tv whisper quiet.

Thanks Rabidwolve. I think they should be whisper quite too. As others have said theres are completely quite. I only notice mine at night when the volume is low and everyone is asleep. It is quite obvious then. Has anyone else had theirs looked at with these symptoms where it was not loud enough to relaly hear during the day but was quite clear at night. What did your tech say, if you had one out?

I had a technican from Pinnacle Electronics to update the firmware on my 40X.......I have to say it does work.........I cannot hear any humming sound when I turn the volume down at nite ..........only hear a small humming sound when I stand next to the TV...........I am so happy now !!!!!!! GREAT !!!

Hi all,

I'm also exceptionally glad I've found this thread as I've got the fan noise too.

I have a 40X3100, manufacture date January 2008.

I first thought the noise was an electronic buzz and due to being away for work etc didn't get to call Bing Lee about it until 3 weeks after I got the unit. Bing Lee then told me that their return policy is only valid for 2 weeks and that I had to go through warranty with City Central Electronics here in Newcastle. They came and picked up the TV, held it for 3 weeks before the technician looked at it (I know this because I rang every week to check up) and then they took another 2 weeks to wait for 'parts'. When I spoke to the tech, he said he could hear the noise, and it was coming from the ciruit board with the power supply (sorry, forget the actual name he used). He then proceeds to tell me that they only replaced this a a "precautionary measure" and that all these models make this noise and that it still makes this noise now the new circuit board is in.

Now, why the hell would you bother replacing any part if you new that it would make no difference??? The tech was not amused when I asked him the same question and told me that if I wasn't happy I should lodge a complaint with Sony. Incidentally, this is the 3rd one of these I've had (originally bought one from a Bing Lee clearance shop, had dead pixel, got a replacement and the image kept going off and on by itself) and neither of the other 2 had the same fan noise. That whole story is a complete thread in itself, but my point is that not all of these have the noise. I've also gone around to various shops (Harvey Norman, JB, GoodGuys, DJs, Myers and Joyce Mayne) and listened to the back of the 40X3100's they have running. I've found that there are more that don't have the noise than ones that do. Again, when I told the tech this he sounded like he was ready to hang up on me.

I picked the TV up tonight and yes, the noise is still there. After reading this thread I now understand that I have fan noise. I can turn the TV on and it is silent for about 10 seconds and then I can hear the fan/s spool up. When I turn the TV off the noise slows down and stops in exactly the same way a fan spinning down would!

I will be calling Sony first thing on Monday and getting them to:

1: Arrange for a tech to come to my house and perform the firmware upgrade

2: Have the same tech come out with new fans in case theses are needed on top of the firmware upgrade

If that doesn't work I'll be ringing Sony again and then contacting the Consumer Advocate. Like all of you, I paid a lot of money for this unit and it should not make this totally unacceptable noise.

I'll update when I know more.

Adam.

Edited by adamd

Has anyone from Perth had the firmware update done. I've got Camtec on the case (apparently the only warranty people in the perth region) and they are still trying to get in touch with Sony to find the fix. So irritating!!

Ive had a good listen to my tv after the firmware update.

I can still hear the buzzing when the tv is on moderate/low volume. Can honestly notice no change.

Gonna call Sony on Monday see what else can be done. Not happy with this set at all.

Edited by RabidWolve

Has anyone had a tech out where your fan noise is only obvious late at night?

I cant hear mine during the day when there is alot of surrounding noise and i have the volume moderate to high.

I only hear it at night when everyone is in bed and i have the volume around 8-10.

I have a tech coming out on wednesday and i am afraid that he wont be able to hear it well enough and will charge me the $150 service call.

Has anyone had a tech out where your fan noise is only obvious late at night?

I cant hear mine during the day when there is alot of surrounding noise and i have the volume moderate to high.

I only hear it at night when everyone is in bed and i have the volume around 8-10.

I have a tech coming out on wednesday and i am afraid that he wont be able to hear it well enough and will charge me the $150 service call.

Just show him this thread.......i am sure most technican would have come across this problem.......and will upgrade the firmware for u ...........just tell him to upgrade the firmware ............ I am glad that i did...........no more humming noise on my 40X now !!!

Just show him this thread.......i am sure most technican would have come across this problem.......and will upgrade the firmware for u ...........just tell him to upgrade the firmware ............ I am glad that i did...........no more humming noise on my 40X now !!!

Hi caff111 is that even when you put your ear up to the vents at the top? which company did your upgrade? Was your fan noise obvious when the tech was there?

Thanks for your responses everyone.

Cheers

Adjac.

Hi caff111 is that even when you put your ear up to the vents at the top? which company did your upgrade? Was your fan noise obvious when the tech was there?

Thanks for your responses everyone.

Cheers

Adjac.

There's no more humming sound after the firmware upgrade............I used to hear the humming 3 metres away and when having the volume below 17 at nite............now even I mute it........I can't hear any humming noise........

The techican is from Pinnacle Electronics..........I contacted Sony first and then they advice Pinnacle as they are closest to my area.......you just tell the technican that u hear the humming even 3 metres away at nite when volume is low..........they will do the firmware upgrade anyway..........it does solve the problem for me !! I think Pinnacle does know this problem as there were members who had their firmware upgrade by them too (check earlier posts) .............not sure about others.

Has anyone had a sony authorised technician perform the firmware out of a major capital city ? I live 200km away from Perth and sony have said that they won't send a technician to perform the upgrade, I'll have to lug the TV to Perth.

Anyone performed the firmware upgrade themselves ? I have a AUG 07 46X3100

The repair centre called me today to ask when they could return my TV. Funny, considering I went and picked it up last Friday :rolleyes: . They did agree to do the firmware upgrade and replace the fans for me so I'll take my 40X in tomorrow to have them do it (this work is being done "just as a precaution" I'm told). Had a conversation with the tech via the receptionist, who tells me he is 90% sure that it is not fan noise. I can't quite see how that's the case seeing as you can hear my 'noise' spool up about 15 seconds after turning the TV on and hear it spool down just after turning it off (exactly like a noisy PC fan). I'm at least happy they're going to do the work but not sure yet how long it will take to get done.

Can anyone answer a couple of questions for me in the mean time?

1. What is the exact version of the firmware upgrade and is it supposed to fix any other known issues?

2. How can I tell if the firmware upgrade has successfully been completed (as opposed to them doing nothing and just telling me it's done - with no change to the unit)?

3. How many fans are there in my 40X3100, and can you see them through the top of the unit?

Thanks,

Adam.

I've attached a link so that everyone can see and hear how my 40X3100 is behaving with the noise present. Mine has just gone back today for the firmware upgrade and fan replacement and I wanted some evidence of what it was like before it went.

Hope this might help someone else diagnose the same issue with theirs.

My video can be found at this link:

http://media.putfile.com/40X3100-Fan-Noise

You will need to turn your sound up, and despite there being some evident internal noise from the video camera (it's an old one) the problem noise is quite easy to hear. You should also be able to easily see the fan cover as previously posted by waratahbay. Although in this video I don't move from one side of the unit to another, the sound is more obvious, when the camera is positioned over each fan cover, than it is in the middle of the unit (have another video if you want to see that). I can hear this noise 4m away, over a conversation on the tv with the sound set at 12.

I have not edited the video in any way except to add labels to highlight the following events:

Time/Event

1 sec - TV On

5 sec - Image On

19 sec - Fan On

29.5 sec - TV Off

30 sec - Fan Off

Adam.

Edited by adamd

Well gave Pinacle a call, the person told me if there is an issue they will have to take it away to fix the issue which will leave me without the TV for a few weeks.

Cant let the TV go at the moment. GTA IV is almost here.

Am not happy about this.

Might fire an email off to Sony expressing my dis-satisfaction and see if anything happens in the meantime.

Question.

Would buzzing sounds be coming from the Fans or the Circuit Board?

Pretty sure mine comes from the fans. It starts up about 10 seconds after turning it on. 52 inch X and XBR don't have fans and don't make noise apparently.