Sony Bravia Making Humming/buzzing Sound

My 46XBR fan starts up audibly about 10 seconds after powering on, too. I rang Sony Service two weeks ago (a day after I bought it), I asked them if this was a known problem and they said "yes". 3rd party service technician came out a week later and said, "yes, it's the fan" (duh), that it probably had noisy fan brushes (whatever that means) and that they would order in a different fan part which would take about 4 days to arrive. 10 days have gone by and no contact from them, will follow up tomorrow. The fan noise is quite audible from my sofa and the other half walks out in disgust during dialogue-driven programmes.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i Just called sony and they said that the expect the fans to arrive next week.... ( i doubt it)... Also i asked whether they fix it onsite and they said yes so just have to play the waiting game! BUT i hope it fixes the problem! because it is a great TV!

Edited by drazman2000

i Just called sony and they said that the expect the fans to arrive next week.... ( i doubt it)... Also i asked whether they fix it onsite and they said yes so just have to play the waiting game! BUT i hope it fixes the problem! because it is a great TV!

G'day Drazman

Do you live in the country or the city ? I've got the same prob with our 46x3100 purchased 31/12/07 with a manu date of Aug 07 in Japan. We live about 200km away from Perth..... will they travel that far ???

Cheers

My 46XBR fan starts up audibly about 10 seconds after powering on, too. I rang Sony Service two weeks ago (a day after I bought it), I asked them if this was a known problem and they said "yes". 3rd party service technician came out a week later and said, "yes, it's the fan" (duh), that it probably had noisy fan brushes (whatever that means)

They're talking about the motor that drives the fan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushless_DC_electric_motor

I'm VERY surprised they wouldn't use brushless fan motors in a product like this.

My 46XBR build date September 07 has no audible fan noise, but is being returned for flashlight issue.

How bad was your flashlight issue? My Aug 2007 40X has mild flashlighting in the top right corner, though it's not so obnoxious that it intrudes 99% of the time.

How bad was your flashlight issue? My Aug 2007 40X has mild flashlighting in the top right corner, though it's not so obnoxious that it intrudes 99% of the time.

With settings Backlight 3, Picture 76, Brightness 48, Power Saving Low, the backlight bleed was noticeable in dark movie scenes. There was bleeding in all corners and another area half way down the left side which was brighter than the rest.

Have set up the new tv. December 07 build. Has some clouding but at my settings it's not noticeable. No dead/stuck pixels, and hopefully no noisy fans. Fingers crossed.

Still love this tv though :rolleyes:

With settings Backlight 3, Picture 76, Brightness 48, Power Saving Low, the backlight bleed was noticeable in dark movie scenes. There was bleeding in all corners and another area half way down the left side which was brighter than the rest.

Have set up the new tv. December 07 build. Has some clouding but at my settings it's not noticeable. No dead/stuck pixels, and hopefully no noisy fans. Fingers crossed.

Still love this tv though :rolleyes:

Heyskip, how easy was it to return your TV ?? Did Sony travel out to your home, inspect and give the go ahead for a new TV or did you have to take it to them and plead your case ??

I have excessive fan/whirring noise and bleeding from corners from some sources..... Aug 07 46x3100

Cheers

Heyskip, how easy was it to return your TV ?? Did Sony travel out to your home, inspect and give the go ahead for a new TV or did you have to take it to them and plead your case ??

I have excessive fan/whirring noise and bleeding from corners from some sources..... Aug 07 46x3100

Cheers

I took the matter up with the retailer ~16 days after purchase, didn't contact Sony at all. I handled it this way because I knew for a fact that Sony doesn't recognise uneven backlighting as a fault. The whole process was relatively pain free, but I think this would depend on the retailer.

Good luck with your tv tjmckay. Don't accept no for an answer. I know that if my tv develops a buzz/whirring noise it'll definately be going back.

Its hard to take it back to the retail for buzzing noise because i tried, and they are said "I can't hear a thing"! I was like yeah because of all the background noise! Then he said that if it was loud enough i should be able to hear it! I was like stuff it just took it back home and got sony out! Much less headaches, but i do recommend that if you are taking it back to the retail for noises, make sure they test it in a relatively quite area!

Its hard to take it back to the retail for buzzing noise because i tried, and they are said "I can't hear a thing"! I was like yeah because of all the background noise! Then he said that if it was loud enough i should be able to hear it! I was like stuff it just took it back home and got sony out! Much less headaches, but i do recommend that if you are taking it back to the retail for noises, make sure they test it in a relatively quite area!

Cheers Fella's

Drazman, do you live in the city or country ? So they just replaced the fans whilst you were there at home ? Take long ? I've just gotta be careful about getting a sony repairer 200kms out from Perth.... Gotta make sure that it's an actual fault, otherwise they'll charge me my left n&t....

So does anyone actually got it fixed by sony? How much better than before the fix? I am still wondering whether I should contact sony for a fix or just live with it ..........the humming sound is more noticeable at night with quiet environment and volume sound under 17 or during some silent scene.............btw, what's Sony phone no. for service enquiry? Thanks !

Sony's number is 1300 133 995.

The customer service so far has been quite good. Contact was made an hour after the salesman raised the issue. He referred it onto the repairs department and they contacted me the next morning. The repair guy is coming out next Friday, could have been Wednesday but noone would be home.

Will let you know what they say/do.

I'm so glad I found this thread, I thought I was going crazy with the noise my 46XBR has been making.

It's definitely the fan and it kicks in after 5 seconds of powering up and is very noticeable when watching the tv in the evening with no outside noise interference. I can easily hear it from 3 - 4m away.

This is the third XBR that I've experienced this same noise with - I previously owned a 40" model which was noisy, took that back to Sony Central and compared side by side (in a relatively quiet room out the back) to another 40" to find that too was noisy. So I put it down to the 40" model being susceptible to a loud fan noise. As such, I upgraded to a 46 XBR only to find that has exactly the same problem. Each unit that I owned would've been the first batch to come to Tassie, so I guess that makes them a Nov 07 model.

The retailer has been very helpful thus far but might start getting fed up with me taking back tvs, especially when it's pretty hard to hear the fans in a noisy shop. From the sounds of it it might be worth calling a Sony technician but I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if others find this to be a suitable resolution.

O.K NOW LETS GET SOMETHING STRAIGHT, I TOO HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING THE HUMMING/WHIRRING SOUND FROM THE BACK OF MY BRAND NEW SONY BRAVIA XBR40 WHICH JUST 3 WEEKS OLD.

SO I CALLED SONY TECH SUPPORT TODAY AND THE GUY TELLS ME THAT THERE IS AN EXPLANATION IN THE BACK OF THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL THAT THE WHIRRING SOUND MADE BY THE COOLING FANS IS NOT A FAULT, WELL IF I WAS AWARE OF THIS BEFORE I BOUGHT THE TELEVISION I WOULD HAVE DEFINATELY BOUGHT A DIFFERENT BRAND.

**WHAT USE IS THERE LISTING THIS IN THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL IF YOU ONLY GET AN INSTRUCTION MANUAL ONCE YOU HAVE BOUGHT THE TELEVISION**

THIS SHOULD BE LISTED ON THE DISPLAY NEXT TO THE TV IN-STORE ALONG WITH THE REST OF THE TV'S FEATURES IS THIS IS NOT A 'MALFUNCTION'!

I AM VERY ANNOYED AND CAN THIS PROBLEM BE FIXED AND HAS ANYONE HAD THEIR NOISY FAN PROBLEM FIXED?

THE BUILD DATE AND COUNTRY ARE AS FOLLOWS: SEPTEMBER 2007 JAPAN

EVENTHOUGH IT IS A LOW SOUND AND CAN ONLY BE HEARD WHEN THE VOLUME IS LOW OR IN A SILENT ENVIRONMENT YOU DON'T PAY $3000+ FOR A TV TO MAKE ABNORMAL NOISE

THIS IS A RORT PEOPLE!, WHOEVER ELSE IS EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM PLEASE REPLY AND LET'S STAND UP AND FIGHT THESE COPORATE GIANTS BECAUSE ITS US CONSUMERS WHO MAKE THEM BIG!

O.K NOW LETS GET SOMETHING STRAIGHT, I TOO HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING THE HUMMING/WHIRRING SOUND FROM THE BACK OF MY BRAND NEW SONY BRAVIA XBR40 WHICH JUST 3 WEEKS OLD.

SO I CALLED SONY TECH SUPPORT TODAY AND THE GUY TELLS ME THAT THERE IS AN EXPLANATION IN THE BACK OF THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL THAT THE WHIRRING SOUND MADE BY THE COOLING FANS IS NOT A FAULT, WELL IF I WAS AWARE OF THIS BEFORE I BOUGHT THE TELEVISION I WOULD HAVE DEFINATELY BOUGHT A DIFFERENT BRAND.

**WHAT USE IS THERE LISTING THIS IN THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL IF YOU ONLY GET AN INSTRUCTION MANUAL ONCE YOU HAVE BOUGHT THE TELEVISION**

THIS SHOULD BE LISTED ON THE DISPLAY NEXT TO THE TV IN-STORE ALONG WITH THE REST OF THE TV'S FEATURES IS THIS IS NOT A 'MALFUNCTION'!

I AM VERY ANNOYED AND CAN THIS PROBLEM BE FIXED AND HAS ANYONE HAD THEIR NOISY FAN PROBLEM FIXED?

THE BUILD DATE AND COUNTRY ARE AS FOLLOWS: SEPTEMBER 2007 JAPAN

EVENTHOUGH IT IS A LOW SOUND AND CAN ONLY BE HEARD WHEN THE VOLUME IS LOW OR IN A SILENT ENVIRONMENT YOU DON'T PAY $3000+ FOR A TV TO MAKE ABNORMAL NOISE

THIS IS A RORT PEOPLE!, WHOEVER ELSE IS EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM PLEASE REPLY AND LET'S STAND UP AND FIGHT THESE COPORATE GIANTS BECAUSE ITS US CONSUMERS WHO MAKE THEM BIG!

Your fkn joking - just read the instruction manual and it is right there :angry:

Under Trouble shooting on pg 46 it states 'There is a whirring sound - this is the sound of internal fans of the TV (except for KDL-52XBR/52X3100). This is not a malfunction"

Now I dont give a toss if it says it in the manual or not, they can stick that clause up their backsides. The Sony technician is coming out on Friday and whilst I want to wait and hear what they say, I may call the place I purchased from and demand a refund and get them to take it up with Sony.

Edited by SRS13

I've have had the same problem and am currently on my second set. The local service company has just called to say that there is a software upgrade available and that it will reduce the noise but may not eliminate it. It's booked in for next Wednesday - will keep you posted.

Guest Chucky1110

The Sony technician came in today to examine my Bravia XBR 46". I had all windows closed, and even switched off my PC to make environment quiet. Then we put the TV on mute.

Well, he said noise level would be deemed unacceptable to normal use if you can hear it from about 3m+ away. My room only allowed me to stand 8m away, and so I could demonstrate to him that I can easily hear it from 8m+ away.

We both agreed its way way noisy. He did some diagnostics and its 100% confirmed that noise is due to fan, and nothing else. He confirmed it finally by switching the fan off and on, and you could in fact hear the fan start a bit like a motorbike.

The outcome is that they promised to replace the fan(s), which they should get within about 3 days. I hope the replacement fans are a different design.

Did anybody have their fans replaced already? Did it solve the problem ?