Sony Bravia Making Humming/buzzing Sound

I purchased a flat screen several years ago and I noticed a buzzing sound immediately after turning the unit on.

I had the unit swapped and found that it made the same noise only the new unit was louder (sometimes it's better the devil you know!).

Anyways....after a while I couldn't stand the noise so Iasked if they could change the power supply for me as I was convinced the buzzing was eminating from the power supply. They eventually came and took the unit away and when I got it back the problem was almost non existent. I could no longer hear it from all practical viewing distances.

Did they simply replace the power supply or did they do something else...? who knows, they never really tell you the truth about repairs.

The sound I was hearing was very similar to the sound the Xbox 360 makes when you are simply sitting in dashboard mode and like my 360 the sound began to oscilate up and down as I wore the unit in. It's one thing to hear a buz but another when that buzz increase and decreases both in volume and pitch.

So far I have read in this thread that the noise is not comming from the fans as they can be heard independantly to the buzzing sound. It also appears that those of you who purchased the 46 & 52 inch are hearing noises when the 40w is not. So I guess it could be power supply related.

Anyways, just my thoughts.

My dad has a 52" x so I'll check his out next time I'm over.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 52 x doesn;t have fans, so it would be silent, it is only the 40 and 46" which it can be heard on. can't wait till the tech comes out on tuesday to have a lot at mine, i bet he will say it is normal... but i will force him to take the fans out or upgrade the firmware which reduces the voltage omitted to the fan... i read else where that the fans make no difference so you can take them out/disconnect them... you agree?

All,

I would not like to see these products run without fans. They generate a lot of heat which if not removed will rapidly reduce the life of the TV. The first thing which will happen is the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply will dry out giving all sorts of weird faults when they are bad enough.

AlanH

Yeah I got that problem as well on my 46x. I just got the tv yesterday and as soon as i switched on, i could hear the sound. I didn't think it is a problem until now i've read ur post.

The buzzing sound is not that loud though, so i can't hear it when im 3m away. But it's clearly there if i stand behind the tv.

I've called Sony, they haven't heard anything about it before

I've called Harvey Norman, where i bought the tv, the Manager said it maybe because of running for the first time. He told me to turn on the tv for 8 hours straight and see if the noise gets louder. He would replace it if it's faulty.

This is A Reply to all of you with The Bravia X Series. I bought one of these back in October. I Noticed the Noise from Day 1. I was so pissed off. I rung sony after the 2 week return period with the shop. so they wouldnt replace it. It is bull that they said that they havnt heard about it before. because they said they heard of it 3 times previously. they by the time they transfered me to the warranty department they were quick to cover up what the call centre person about hearing it before. THERE IS DEFINATELY A PROBLEM WITH THIS TV. I have had it in at Digital domain in adelaide, they had it in repair for 2 months. They said they replaced the fans but they didnt. then they did a firmware upgrade. and changed the DF1 PWB(what ever that is). It has slightly reduced the noise but it is still loud enough to annoy me alot. i almost cant stand watching the TV. It makes me want to throw the remote at the screen. But anyway. I would love to hear anything about how anyone had this problem fixed. the fan noise starts up about 10-20 seconds after being switched on. then it jsut stays on. I will be ringing the repairer again tomorrow. then if they are no help i will be ringing sony again. I WOULD VERY HIGHLY NOT RECOMMEND NO ONE BUY THIS MODEL. IT SEEMS TO HAVE FAULTS.

Everyone who Has this Problem with the X and XBR Bravia (as i Do) Should ring SONY. and complain so maybe they will do something about it. Also Do not recommend this TV to anyone else. I will be ringing SONY tomorrow. and seeing what they say, for the second time (they will probably say they havn't heard about it before(again) : has anyone had this problem completely Fixed?

Everyone who Has this Problem with the X and XBR Bravia (as i Do) Should ring SONY. and complain so maybe they will do something about it. Also Do not recommend this TV to anyone else. I will be ringing SONY tomorrow. and seeing what they say, for the second time (they will probably say they havn't heard about it before(again) : has anyone had this problem completely Fixed?

Hey guys, I have the 46" X with NO buzzing at all... mine has a Manufactured Date of January 2008, I just muted the audio and went up close, I can just barely hear the fans working inside and absolutely nothing sitting 2meters away with no audio, whether they have sorted the issue, who knows... keep banging the drum and complain until it's fixed/replaced.

I think the new batch of fans fix the issue, as the sony tech told me that they have redesigned the fans to make them silent.... But i will let you know, i don't know how long it will take for them to get the fans to replace it for me! But the tech also said that if enough people complain they may write a firmware upgrade like the one in the UK to resolve the issue!

I think the new batch of fans fix the issue, as the sony tech told me that they have redesigned the fans to make them silent.... But i will let you know, i don't know how long it will take for them to get the fans to replace it for me! But the tech also said that if enough people complain they may write a firmware upgrade like the one in the UK to resolve the issue!

Sounds a bit weird that they have to redesign the fans and that they can fix the issue with a firmware update... if this was the case, I'd be concerned the firmware update would simply slow the fans down to stop noise which may be bad for cooling, I'd be demanding a replacement or hardware fix considering the newer ones appear to be trouble free.

Hi

I also have the humming problem on my 40in Bravia as well. I only noticed it one night, about a week after I got the TV, when I sat close with the volume low. The sound is audible from a couple of meters away. As soon as I listen to the sound up close, I'm tuned in, and then I can hear it after that. The lounge room the TV is in, has an attached kitchen. I think the sound of the fridge can drown out the TV. The sound would be anyoying in a room where there is no other background mechanical noise. There are 2 sounds, 1 starts immediately the TV is turned on, and is a barely audible buzzing (not a problem) then about 10 seconds after the TV is turned on, a humming sound winds up. My TV is manufactured December 2007. The point is, 2 other people I work with have the exact same TV, one manufactured December 2007, and both don't have the humming problem. That makes this a fault in my book. I look forward to hearing about how the new fans work.

Thanks - ag.

Im still waiting on an eta on the fans, my room has no background noise so it is very noticable... I know that if the door is open, you can barely hear the sound i guess it is due to there being more noise in the background. Anyhow i will let you know if the new fans make a different!!

I have the F81 as well and the sony PQ is much better!!! Also i think the TVs manufactured in Jan onwards do not have the noise!

Thanks

Hey, I have got the firmware up date. and yes i believe it does slow the fan down. which makes it quieter, but still loud enough to be annoying. I barely hear them now. but when i do (between ads and quiet parts) it makes me really angry because of the price we all paid for this TV you would assume it would have no manufacturing defects.

I would love to hear how the new fans go?

to find out if it is worth putting then in. as last time , when i had the firmware upgrade it took 2 months to get the TV back.

Hey, I have got the firmware up date. and yes i believe it does slow the fan down. which makes it quieter, but still loud enough to be annoying. I barely hear them now. but when i do (between ads and quiet parts) it makes me really angry because of the price we all paid for this TV you would assume it would have no manufacturing defects.

I would love to hear how the new fans go?

to find out if it is worth putting then in. as last time , when i had the firmware upgrade it took 2 months to get the TV back.

Demand a replacement with a new model which I can stand by does not have this buzzing issue (January 2008 Manufacture Date).

You have paid a premium price and expect a premium product, clearly this is not good enough and a firmware update to slow the fans is not a fix, it's a band aid and how do we know if the slower fans with less cooling ability will do the proper job to keep the TV working correctly for many years after the warranty is done??

Edited by GEoMaNTiK

To be honest, I thought that small buzzing sound was normal. I'd put my ear near the back of the TV and I'd hear a slight buzzing. I thought that is fine for a 46 inch screen, etc.

My concern was the fan. Like you said, approx 3-5 seconds after the TV is on, it just starts humming. This never happened before and I went into Sony Central today and went down the back (where it was quiet and the TV was on mute) to a 46 inch X series and put my ear to the back of it and I couldn't hear any buzzing of the fan.

Makes me wonder if these sets are now faulty because mine never had the fans running from the start and this 46 inch instore didn't have it.

I have a similar issue:

A new (December 2007 manufactured) 46X3100 arrived two days ago. (It was a warranty replacement for a previous unit that had a backlight issue)

Was pleased that the backlight issue and blacks are much improved - however - I now have a Fan noise issue.

On startup:

I also have the slight buzzing sound (electronics / transformer ?) that exists, which can only be heard at approx 1m or less. (ie not so concerning)

However,

similar to donkey33, after approx 5 secs after the TV is on, the fan starts up and keeps humming. This is very audible and completely unacceptable.

The Fan noise is audible up to 10m away into another room and the sound volume has to be at > = 13 to cover the noise when viewing from 4m.

Thus during quiet scenes in a movie it is distracting.

I am reasonably certain that it is the Fan as you can hear it spin up (almost an inrush current effect) and then stabilise.

Interestingly, my folks have an Oct07 46X3100 which has the slight buzzing - BUT - NO excessive fan noise (ie nothing audible over 1.5m away)

THUS

AGREE - this type of issue is definitely a FAULT.

REQUEST:

Could those that have had fan's replaced, definitely please advise of their experience / progress / success......??

I will be following up with Sony Warranty team on Mon.

I have created a summary list from this topic that we can continue to update:

46X3100 et al - Excessive Noise Summary & resolution progress:

DTV Member:...... Model:........ Manuf Date:... Noise Level:......... Source:.......... Audible Distance:... Warranty Claim / Progress:

Donkey33........... 46X3100...... ?................. unacceptable......... Fan Hum........ Up.to.3m................ ?

drazman2000...... 40XBR......... ?................. unacceptable......... Fan Hum........ >=3m...................... Tech has checked and ordered new quieter fans

shudint............... 46X3100...... ?................. unacceptable......... Elec Buzz......... ?............................ Harvey Norman will replace if faulty

songaz............... Bravia?......... ?.................. ?........................... ?.................... <2.5m.................... ?

neonkitten.......... 40X3100...... ?.................. OK......................... None.............. silent (<1m)............ N/A

alanh................. 46X3100....... ?.................. OK......................... None.............. silent..................... N/A

drurus............... 46X3100........ Oct07?........ unacceptable........ Fan Hum......... ?............................ Has Firmware update (slows fans) still audible - ongoing

GEoMaNTiK........ 46X3100........ Jan08......... OK.......................... None............... silent (<2m)............ N/A

johnmiceter....... 46X3100........ Jan08??...... OK......................... None............... silent...................... N/A

ag1................... 40X................ Dec07.......... unacceptable........ Fan Hum......... >2m........................ Likely to pursue new quieter fans

Jonesman.......... 46X3100....... Dec07.......... unacceptable........ Fan Hum.......... >8m....................... Will definitely pursue new quieter fans or replacement

JonesmansFolks. 46X3100..... Sep07.......... OK.......................... None............... silent(<1m)............ N/A

Apologies for any errors in the above collation - Pls feel free to correct and add as appropriate.

Better info regarding our experiences will assist others to assess if they have an unreasonable issue such as this.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Jonesman

Demand a replacement with a new model which I can stand by does not have this buzzing issue (January 2008 Manufacture Date).

my 46X was manufactured in Jan 08, but i still have a buzz noise.

for the people who have gotten their fan replaced, did you have to take your tv into warranty? or did technicians come to your house to fix it?

i dont want to have to repack my tv just to get my fans fixed <_<

I have created a summary list from this topic that we can continue to update:

46X3100 et al - Excessive Noise Summary & resolution progress:

DTV Member:...... Model:........ Manuf Date:... Noise Level:......... Source:.......... Audible Distance:... Warranty Claim / Progress:

neonkitten.......... 40X3100...... ?.................. OK......................... None.............. silent (<1m)............ N/A

Filling in the blanks for me:

Manufacturing date of my 40X3100 is August 2007 (Japan) - probably one of the first 3100-series TVs produced. Still no audible fan noise and no buzzing.

I wonder whether this buzzing some are reporting is due to the use of different LCD panels. I recall (vaguely!) reading reports that Sony/Samsung's panel production was not meeting demand and that they were contracting another company to produce extra panels for them.

The electrical buzzing would, I'd suggest, be most likely to be coming from the backlight.

Guest Chucky1110

You can add me to the list.

Mine is a KDL46XBR. Bought about 3 weeks ago, manufactured November 2007.

The humming noise really annoys me. I noticed that it gets louder only when the TV had been working for about 1 hour (presumably the TV gets warmer).

Its especially noticeable during quieter scenes, in the mornings or evenings when surroundings are quiet. At worst, I can hear it from 5m away. Particularly the noise gets obvious when the TV is on mute.

I can tell that the noise is coming from behind the screen, somewhere in the top left (when facing the screen).

Lodged awarranty claim with Sony, waiting for technician to contact me.

I can tell that the noise is coming from behind the screen, somewhere in the top left (when facing the screen).

The top left is where the fan is located.

It's really starting to sound like a seriously crap batch of fans started going into these TVs at some point. And when I say crap, I'm talking Intel stock CPU fan crap :)

The fan noise from my Bravia, (even in hot, humid conditions like last night, when my PC's CPU fan was going off like a jet engine simply by opening a web page) is only audible in dead silence, and only if you're right up next to the TV.

After purchasing the 46X then reading this, I was worried that my display would hum/buz.

Received my TV on the 26/1/08 and it started the noise 2 nights ago. Contacted the retailer I purchased from and he is calling Sony for me. Will advise how I go.

Would a TV that is not even 2 weeks old be replaced or do Sony have to come out and inspect? I expect they would??

Damn am I pissed I did not buy the Kuro... :angry2:

Edited by SRS13

After purchasing the 46X then reading this, I was worried that my display would hum/buz.

Received my TV on the 26/1/08 and it started the noise 2 nights ago. Contacted the retailer I purchased from and he is calling Sony for me. Will advise how I go.

Would a TV that is not even 2 weeks old be replaced or do Sony have to come out and inspect? I expect they would??

Damn am I pissed I did not buy the Kuro... :angry2:

I have exactly the same problem as has been discussed many times in these pages - unwelcome buzzing sounds when the volume is low/muted or at quiet parts of programmes/movies. (40inch XBR)

This is completely unacceptable for any Sony Bravia.

I purposefully bought a Sony and not one of the cheaper manufacturers to avoid this kind of thing and yet less than a week after having accepted delivery I want to send it back and get a Pioneer.

Could everyone having this issue look at the label on the back and give us a manufacturing date and country of manufacture? It would be helpful to everyone if a time frame of manufacture and factory could be attached to this one.

FWIW, my August '07 made 40x3100 is still just fine. Maybe getting ripped off to the tune of $1500 by missing out by a mere 8 weeks on a price drop and a free PS3 was worth it after all ;)