Sony Bravia Making Humming/buzzing Sound

Hi,

I got a new 46 inch Sony Bravia X-Series in September using the group buy that was organised at this forum. The TV has been great. Very happy I got it and I've had no problems with it until now. I'll try and describe it.

When the TV was on previously, it was very quiet. Could hardly hear it and that was good. Not when it is on, it constantly gives off a buzz or a type of humming. Sounds similar to when you are playing the XBOX 360 with its loud humming sound.

Is this normal? It never did this for the past 4 months and now all of a sudden. I work every day from 6 until 7 so it's off during the week and on for maybe 30 mins each night up to a max of 2 hours some nights. A little longer on the weekend.

Is there something wrong with this one? I got the 5 year warranty with it so it's covered but this buzzing is starting to get annoying. When I watch TV at night with the volume down, I have to have the volume above 10-12 otherwise the buzzing makes too much noise.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could it be a fan? It sounds like a fan running.

If it is though, why did it start up all of a sudden after 5 months and what does this mean? Is that standard for a fan to be noisy after a certain amount of time or should I ring Sony and talk to them about getting it replaced?

Thanks

O have the same problem with my 40xbr, sony is coming out next tues to have a look at it! I also heard that it might be a firmware problem as there are apparent updates for it in the UK, not sure if the updates are out in AU thu, will find out on tuesday! It is annoying i know!

Thanks

Yeah I got that problem as well on my 46x. I just got the tv yesterday and as soon as i switched on, i could hear the sound. I didn't think it is a problem until now i've read ur post.

The buzzing sound is not that loud though, so i can't hear it when im 3m away. But it's clearly there if i stand behind the tv.

I've called Sony, they haven't heard anything about it before

I've called Harvey Norman, where i bought the tv, the Manager said it maybe because of running for the first time. He told me to turn on the tv for 8 hours straight and see if the noise gets louder. He would replace it if it's faulty.

Sounds like the fans for the lamps. I never noticed the noise in the shop and was quite surprised at how loud it is when I first heard it. It's quite noticeable if I'm up close to the TV, like say changing DVDs, but I've never heard it while watching TV. I figure it's no big deal - I do check to see how hot the case gets from time to time.

I suggest going into where a retailer and sticking your head round the back of one the have on display. You'd at least be able to judge if yours was louder than that.

My problem isn't that though. It's hearing the fans sitting 2-2.5 metres away from the screen. Not walking up and listening for it. When I mute the TV, I can hear it buzzing from 2m away.

Granted this is late at night at the TV volume is only at like 7 or 8. Once I pump it up to 12+, I can't hear it anymore because the sound drowns it out but I've watched TV on it for 5 months at night on 7 or 8 and it was quiet as a mouse and now all of a sudden it sounds like there's an industrial fan under it.

i can hear it from about 2.5m away too with volume on, if alot of people are having this issue, im sure its not a problem then. just the fans cooling the tv panel

maybe cuz its summer now and the panel heats up more, thus requiring the fan to spin harder?

Yeah i just checked and i can hear it 2 meters away from the tv if i had it muted.

Seeing that so many ppl got the same problem, it may not be a problem.

I've called Sony, and they said they have not yet heard a concern regarding to this matter.

@_@

I'll just see how it goes in the next couple of days.

But I think donkey33's problem is another issue because it only appeared recently, not when he bought the tv.

Maybe donkey33 never paid attention to it before until now?

It maybe just the fan is running when the tv is on.

Yeah, just read the back of the booklet and found that.

Point is though that they shouldn't be that loud so I'm still going to ring to see if anything can be done because on my set, this sound was non-existent for 5 months and now all of a sudden it is.

For the 5 months before hand, if I lent over the back of the TV, I could hear a slight buzz but now the massive fan starts up as soon as I turn on the TV. Even if it has been off for a few days so it's very cool.

I'll see how I go and report back.

I am so glad I got a 40w. Not only did I save some cash I also have the benefit of no fan to fail. Not to mention the lack of motion flow artefacts and a non distracting bezel. Keeping it simple is much better.

The 40W is ****! Shocking picture quality. The XBR series bezel is much nicer and modern compared to the w

The 40W is ****! Shocking picture quality. The XBR series bezel is much nicer and modern compared to the w

Well i have to disagree with you there m8!, because my 40w is really great, no real problems to talk about, picture quality is really good, and i saved my self nearly a thousand dollar so i can now get some good blu-ray movies lol.

There is nothing wrong with the picture quality of a 40w.What side of the bed did you get of this morning sunshine. :rolleyes:

Can you guys test something for me. I believe the buzzing noise is NOT the fan. When you power up the TV, listen closley to the top/back. Quickly hit mute and you will notice the buzzing sound. A few seconds later the fans WILL switch on, combing with the buzzing sound.

I bought mine in the GB too and was worried, but it seems that many people have this problem. My issue is not so much the noise, but that the buzing noise is a fault as it is SEPERATE from the FAN noise. Help appreciated

To be honest, I thought that small buzzing sound was normal. I'd put my ear near the back of the TV and I'd hear a slight buzzing. I thought that is fine for a 46 inch screen, etc.

My concern was the fan. Like you said, 3-5 seconds after the TV is on, it just starts humming. This never happened before and I went into Sony Central today and went down the back (where it was quiet and the TV was on mute) to a 46 inch X series and put my ear to the back of it and I couldn't hear any buzzing of the fan.

Makes me wonder if these sets are now faulty because mine never had the fans running from the start and this 46 inch instore didn't have it.

A couple of days ago the TV arrived at my house. Initially we put it in the lounge room but had to remove it because we were using a temporary stand which looked too ugly. During that time I didn't notice any fan noise. Then we moved it into my room which is a smaller and more confined space. Now after powering on the TV I can hear the fan but not always. I'm using one of those cheapy DSE Antennas in my room (yes I know what a f***ing piece of s**t it is) and in my lounge room we connected it directly into the plug in the wall. I noticed that (if the fan isn't already on) when I go to a channel where the signal is weak and the pic screws up the fans start to turn on. =\

All,

I have an 46x3100. It is silent. I have mounted it on the wall. There must be a 60 mm gap behind it as well as larger gaps around it. The only thing I notice is the large amount of hot air blown out of the top.

The noise may be because what ever the set is sitting on is resonant to the fan frequency. Move it elsewhere as a trial. Also keep it off the floor or the dust will block the fan.

So since it is a new noise it may be that the dust is stopping the fan from turning.

Alanh