Got A Few Questions About The Mediastar 8022

Hi all

Newbie here with a few questions since this seems to be the place with a lot of knowledge.

no1 I'd like to upload some of the things i have recorded to my pc however when i start transfering using explorer drag and drop it begins to transfer the files but then the laptop locks up entirely. also i noticed the files are an .AVR what program do you recomend to view these (if i can get them onto the computer)

no2 I have recorded a few programs of austar and gone to watch them later (a few days) but they do not play. Its not all but a few. I recorded the programs without a card in the cam and when i go to watch i insert the cam, would that affect it?

Thats all i have so far, so thanx in advance for any help

Regards KevO

when i start transfering using explorer drag and drop it begins to transfer the files but then the laptop locks up entirely.

This might come down to an issue with the firmware in the PVR itself causing Windows' FAT32 file system driver to puke. Update to the latest firmware might help it. Certain people on this forum might claim this problem never existed, it did and is easily reproduced.

You can view the AVR files using VLC

As for your Austar problem, this has been discussed ad-nauseum already. To summarise:

• you *must* have your Austar card in the box when you make the recordings
  • only the recording that is on screen at the time can be relied upon to be useful, any other concurrent Austar recordings may ultimately turn out to be unusable
  • starting a FTA recording after you start an Austar recording may result in the Austar recording being unusable.
  • if your MS PVR is your primary Austar viewing STB you *must* leave the box displaying an Austar channel when ever you are not using it and it *must* remain turned on

All this has been thrashed out and few 'untruths' by mediastar reps that don't want to be officially recognised as MS reps have been revealed in this thread. While the thread deals with a MS 820, it would not at all surprise me to discover that the precise same issues exist with the 8022.

no1 I'd like to upload some of the things i have recorded to my pc however when i start transfering using explorer drag and drop it begins to transfer the files but then the laptop locks up entirely.

[1b] also i noticed the files are an .AVR what program do you recomend to view these (if i can get them onto the computer)

#1 Create and Move the files in the PVR into a subdirectory (blue button). Files in the \AV\ directory have bad short filenames and my win2000 pc doesn't like this and does the same lock up thing. Once in the subdir they are ok...

#1b (free) mpegstream clip is a good place to start. (pay) videoredo is widely used with the topfield users (and arion/mediastar it seems). Also read here and here. Generally i demux in projectX and just burn with ads in guifordvdauthor (although having just started to play with mpegstreamclip i might start using that... But mpegs.c. cant handle HD files {from the mediastar 920} it seems {SD is ok})

Edited by temporary1

#1 Create and Move the files in the PVR into a subdirectory (blue button). Files in the \AV\ directory have bad short filenames and my win2000 pc doesn't like this and does the same lock up thing. Once in the subdir they are ok...

FYI the latest (now comparatively old) firmware for the MS820 resolved this issue, it might be worthwhile checking to see if updated firmware for your box exists - even if it doesn't mention this specific issue (the MS820 did not).