Sign in to follow this  
morricio

Pioneer Kuro 508xda Price Thread

Hey guys, just bought a 508xda kuro at HN Bondi junction for $3850 ill be scanning the receipt within a few days hopefully, let me know if you would like a copy.

Also say if you've gotten a better deal than that, because i only know that its $140 better than the digital centre ad.

pm me or just type in this thread, either's fine.

Edited by morricio

There's already a bunch of other Pioneer kuro price threads - why start another one? :wacko:

Hey guys, just bought a 508xda kuro at HN Bondi junction for $3850 ill be scanning the receipt within a few days hopefully, let me know if you would like a copy.

Also say if you've gotten a better deal than that, because i only know that its $140 better than the digital centre ad.

That's mad. Is this the first case of a buyer cracking the 4K mark on the 508xda? A HN store as well. Was this a cash buy?

Edited by Eazy

Nah we paid credit! Should have pushed for cash though, might have got it cheaper, but it's good because we just earned 6000 Frequent flyer points.

It was a young guy and he knew that i meant business when i said i can get it for $3900 (which was a lie, the digital centre ad was $3990) so he said yeah, we can do that.

Then we went down to JB and said HN is doing it for $3900, can you beat it? they said yes by 50 bucks, but they wanted the guys name, and to ring up HN - couldnt be stuffed with that. So went back to HN and said JB will beat you by 50 bucks, can you match that? They said yep again.

He did say it was under cost, but then said it should be fine.

How on earth can they sell it below cost?!

The kicker was the 5 year warranty and installation + making sure we know how to use it. I probably know more about the TV than the pioneer guy that's coming, but My mum still struggles with the tv we bought 10 years ago! so im thinking bargain - the poor guy that's coming, he doesnt know what he's in for with mum. complete battler with technology. hahaha. better him than me though!

Edited by morricio

Yep got the pm - ive sent the email out, lots asked for a copy!

Let me know how it goes.

What are your thoughts on your Kuro? Pros/cons?

I actually havent got it yet - it's getting delivered thursday.

But the Black levels are amazing. I plugged my laptop into the Panasonic 70A, played some of Transformers in HD, saw some pixelation, but the kuro was so black there was no pixelation to be seen! It's an amazing set. Plus the build quality on Pioneer products is the best, it's a premium product you are buying. All pioneer sets come with a 5 year warranty included,

Pioneer is that confident on it being a quality product. No other manufacturer does this.

I cant really fault it! The PC input detects the native resolution of the panel (on VGA!), and recognises the panel as the pioneer 508xda on the computer, while the panasonic 70A didnt do this, and wouldnt display the native res exactly.

Edited by morricio

That's a phenomenal price for the 508xda! Excellent news about the VGA connection too, I want to use a HTPC with mine so one to one pixel mapping is a definite plus.

I'd love a copy of the receipt too. aidan AT optushome.com.au

Thanks mate!

I am not entirely sure, but I think there are actually some advantages if you use HDMI over VGA, even on the XDA. The Kuro PC input doesn't have access to all the advanced adjustment options that you do with the other inputs. That being said - you also don't have to deal with HDCP stuff which can be a real pain when doing HTPC stuff.

It would be interesting to know if the image settings on the PC input can be adjusted via professional calibration.

Anyway - just something to think about.

I bought a 508xda today for 4K. Not a benchmark by OP's standard but a damn good deal for Darwin. The guys at JB's made my day. Now to wait for it to be delivered. :D

Morricio, I mentioned your price when negotiating for the panel and the dude was gobsmacked. I used that as a base to work toward 4K. I am pretty stoked with the deal considering this is Darwin. If they can do 4K in Darwin - then perhaps 3.7K could be the next benchmark for those living in large metros. Any contenders?

I have a feeling they will drop quite a bit in a couple months - but I've been waiting too long to upgrade to a real tv. No regrets here.

Ive had the 508xda panel now for 2 days, and i am blown away by the picture quality, it's phenomenal!

I can actually see a very slight difference between 720p cinemascope movies and 1080p cinenamascope movies! (when cropped to 16:9 so it fills the panel)

Dont bother with getting a 1080p panel, the human eye cant even resolve it beyond 2m.

I plugged my laptop in and played low res avi sources like Lost at a res of 624x352 and there was no pixelation to be seen!!!!!

ITS UNBELIEVABLE! When i played the same file on my 80cm CRT screen i saw PIXELATION! despite it being a smaller screen!

(granted the CRT was connected via RCA and plasma via VGA)

My Macbook pro connected to the plasma looks even better than when it's using the built in LCD screen. The colour reproduction is just brilliant!

The screen is so black, it just masks any pixelation. (Pixelation usually occurs on dark scenes - grey, black etc.)

Buy a pioneer kuro over any other TV, seriously do yourself a favour, If you still think CRT images are better than this panel after seeing it - something is seriously wrong with you!

--------------------------------------------------------

Side note:

I have also discovered something else - I have connected the DVD player via component - and i have got to say im not that impressed:

BUT - anyone who wants a free "upscaling" DVD player - just plug your laptop into the TV and play the movies through VGA! The quality is great!

All along i thought it was DVD's having shitty resolution that made it look bad on flat panels - but it turns out it's the connectors!

DVD res is fine if played through VGA or HDMI, upscaling DVD players from what i can see dont really do much upscaling work beyond that of a computer - they just change the type of connector between the player and the panel to maximise quality, what a RORT! They expect us to pay 500 bucks for a DVD player with a different connector at the back.

Edited by morricio

I used morricio receipt to negotiate the 508XDA. Thanks very much. I also got the XE-1, and the Planet Earth HD-DVDs for a good price.

Thank you for all your help.

Cheers.

Heheh. Watched a couple of movies tonight. DVDs though as PS3 and BR titles have yet to arrive. I haven't tweaked any settings - and it's a dream. I had to purchase an AV shelf for the Pio but it looks fantastic. JB's dropped it off - but as they were box movers only I didn't bother to ask if they could install. With the help of a mate, I set it up without issue. Now for BR titles/PS3 to rock up. :D

Yep got the pm - ive sent the email out, lots asked for a copy!

Let me know how it goes.

Hi, I have decided to go with the xda as I just can't justify the increased price fo rthe lx. Would you please send me a copy of your reciept to rocketrod19@hotmail.com, I will be heading into bondi junction today to try and negotiate a deal and a copy would sure help. thanks!

Ive had the 508xda panel now for 2 days, and i am blown away by the picture quality, it's phenomenal!

I can actually see a very slight difference between 720p cinemascope movies and 1080p cinenamascope movies! (when cropped to 16:9 so it fills the panel)

Dont bother with getting a 1080p panel, the human eye cant even resolve it beyond 2m.

I plugged my laptop in and played low res avi sources like Lost at a res of 624x352 and there was no pixelation to be seen!!!!!

ITS UNBELIEVABLE! When i played the same file on my 80cm CRT screen i saw PIXELATION! despite it being a smaller screen!

(granted the CRT was connected via RCA and plasma via VGA)

My Macbook pro connected to the plasma looks even better than when it's using the built in LCD screen. The colour reproduction is just brilliant!

The screen is so black, it just masks any pixelation. (Pixelation usually occurs on dark scenes - grey, black etc.)

Buy a pioneer kuro over any other TV, seriously do yourself a favour, If you still think CRT images are better than this panel after seeing it - something is seriously wrong with you!

--------------------------------------------------------

Side note:

I have also discovered something else - I have connected the DVD player via component - and i have got to say im not that impressed:

BUT - anyone who wants a free "upscaling" DVD player - just plug your laptop into the TV and play the movies through VGA! The quality is great!

All along i thought it was DVD's having shitty resolution that made it look bad on flat panels - but it turns out it's the connectors!

DVD res is fine if played through VGA or HDMI, upscaling DVD players from what i can see dont really do much upscaling work beyond that of a computer - they just change the type of connector between the player and the panel to maximise quality, what a RORT! They expect us to pay 500 bucks for a DVD player with a different connector at the back.

Thanks for sending the receipt. In short nobody would match it (even HN Bondi, said it was a "one off" and the "price had chanegd since tehn". Still managed to get it for 4050 from Myer on George street which i am happy with. Cannot wait for it to arrive. With the dvd player (i have an "old" one with no upscaling etc) will the xda do all the upscaling that is requiered? I note that you said you got a shitty picture via component (I assume that means standard connection) but much better via computer. Would it make a difference if the connection between the dvd and the tv was different/better? As you can tell my research thus far has been on the best tv I can afford, need to bone up on everything else now?

Thanks for sending the receipt. In short nobody would match it (even HN Bondi, said it was a "one off" and the "price had chanegd since tehn". Still managed to get it for 4050 from Myer on George street which i am happy with. Cannot wait for it to arrive. With the dvd player (i have an "old" one with no upscaling etc) will the xda do all the upscaling that is requiered? I note that you said you got a shitty picture via component (I assume that means standard connection) but much better via computer. Would it make a difference if the connection between the dvd and the tv was different/better? As you can tell my research thus far has been on the best tv I can afford, need to bone up on everything else now?

No JB's where you live? At the moment I've been watching DVD's on an oldish DVD player (connected via composite) and I'm satisfied with the image. Obviously it's nowhere near as crisp as HD movie but its satifactory. At least until PS3 I've ordered arrives.

could you send the receipt my way too please...

intelligencer @ fastmail.fm

Thanks!

That is ridiculous. I can certainly tell you it was not just a ONE OFF. They didnt tell me it was a "one off", i negotiated a price, what liars!

And the price should only go down, not up - that's another lie they've dished out...

Did you go down to JB Hifi? They should have matched it... what about bing lee just outside the bj centre?

The XDA does the best it can with whatever source you put into it. RCA and component are old shitty connectors, so they're not going to look stunning on a 50 inch plasma. BUT, they are acceptable as a short term solution, as Eazy said, until you get players with HDMI connectors on them.

However if you sit 5m+ away from the TV (very few people would do this) RCA and component looks ok to watch, because the distance is far enough away from the TV, so that you cant see the impurities in the image.

Of course it would make a difference if the connection between the DVD and TV was better - (HDMI) - It looks much better. Go pick yourself up an upscaling DVD player for around 200 bucks, or use your laptop to play dvds through the vga port. The result is so much better!

Edited by morricio

That is ridiculous. I can certainly tell you it was not just a ONE OFF. They didnt tell me it was a "one off", i negotiated a price, what liars!

And the price should only go down, not up - that's another lie they've dished out...

Did you go down to JB Hifi? They should have matched it... what about bing lee just outside the bj centre?

The XDA does the best it can with whatever source you put into it, it wont "upscale" anything though. RCA and component are old shitty connectors, so they're not going to look stunning on a 50 inch plasma. BUT, they are acceptable as a short term solution, as Eazy said, until you get players with HDMI connectors on them.

However if you sit 5m+ away from the TV (very few people would do this) RCA and component looks ok to watch, because the distance is far enough away from the TV, so that you cant see the impurities in the image.

Of course it would make a difference if the connection between the DVD and TV was better - (HDMI) - It looks much better. Go pick yourself up an upscaling DVD player for around 200 bucks, or use your laptop to play dvds through the vga port. The result is so much better!

I spoke to the same guy who did your sale, chris from memory. I tried arguing with him but the bottom line was he would not do the deal again. I got fed up arguing and said "what is the best you can do then". he said 4150. I then rang around JB/Bing Lee/DJ's/Myer etc and the best I could get was 4050. At Myer you get an $80 credit ($20 per 1000 spent) so it worked out close enough for me (and I was fed up!). Thanks again for your help, I suspect that but for your invoice I would not have got an offer of 4150 which was the springboard to get it down another $100. I only wish I was more patient as I suspect that there will be a big drop in the near future, but with that rationale I would neevr buy anything because by the time the price drops there will be something even better out there (or the LX will come down to current xda prices)!

Thanks for your input re DVD, might see if it is possible to connect via HDMI cable and see how that goes. I have been told that provided you have the right connection then you really don't need the upscaling in the dvd player as the tv does it anyway. Now all i have to do is keep harrassing pioneer so they deliver it some time this year and HDMI cables, sureg protector etc.....another reason why I went the xda, I need the extra cash to get all the extra stuff you need to get the most out of these tvs! Thanks agin for your help, like I said, I am sure it made a difference.

Thanks for your input re DVD, might see if it is possible to connect via HDMI cable and see how that goes. I have been told that provided you have the right connection then you really don't need the upscaling in the dvd player as the tv does it anyway. Now all i have to do is keep harrassing pioneer so they deliver it some time this year and HDMI cables, sureg protector etc.....another reason why I went the xda, I need the extra cash to get all the extra stuff you need to get the most out of these tvs! Thanks agin for your help, like I said, I am sure it made a difference.

no worries, but any DVD player with an HDMI output IS an upscaling DVD player. Because it upscales the DVD to HDMI output resolution, which is (up to) 1080p..

Edited by morricio

no worries, but any DVD player with an HDMI output IS an upscaling DVD player. Because it upscales the DVD to HDMI output resolution, which is (up to) 1080p...

the TV does no upscaling of its own, no matter what anyone says to you - It doesnt work like that...

Only the actual video player can upscale what it is playing, whether it be a computer, dvd player with HDMI, or blu ray player.

You can "Zoom in" on the XDA but that's not really upscaling, that's just magnifying the image within the TV and it's going to look bad.

The only thing the XDA is equipped with is a downscaler, to downscale 1080p images to its native res of 768p.

I hope ive cleared some things up for you.

Sorry morrocio, but i think you're incorrect.

The TV does in fact upscale, and it has to, in order to correctly display a normal PAL signal (576) to its native 768 resolution.

Should you choose to set the HDMI to 576p, then the TV will upscale to 768p.

Alot of Pioneer users recommend this setting, myself included, unless you have a high end DVD player, with the better SO chips in them.

The TV does in fact upscale, and it has to, in order to correctly display a normal PAL signal (576) to its native 768 resolution.

Should you choose to set the HDMI to 576p, then the TV will upscale to 768p.

I cant believe i said something that stupid! (i wrote the comment at around 3am, i was exhausted, posted it in the morning without reading it)

Of course the TV has an upscaler in it, as bobby said.

but you still need an upscaling hdmi dvd player to put the signal through at HDMI, is what i was trying to say.

Bobby - is the quality really better putting a DVD through HDMI at 576p as opposed to 720p?

I would have though the scaler in the player was better than in the TV? apparently not...?

Also have you done a Dvd playback on Computer via VGA vs Dvd player via HDMI comparison for quality?

I've found the Computer DVD playback to be stunning via VGA...