Pioneer Kuro 508xda Price Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I could get my hands on a 508XDA should I get it or wait for the LX to potentially drop in price?

I know the 508 isn't 1080p but then again how much TV will i be able to watch at 1080p?

What would be a good price for a 508XDA? I know I have probably missed the 508 boat and have little chance of getting one but I thought I might take a look

Cheers

Mate all I can say is I was once caught up on the whole 1080 thing and as much as it killed me on a principle basis I ended up having to get the 508xda over the Lx because the difference in PQ just isnt there at most viewing distances. Seriously Im still blown away by everything I run on it, it is such a fantastic panel. Have not once thought, "gee I wish I had the 1080." Each to their own of course, but if your not satisfied with xda you are a fussy man indeed. If you can find one ;)

1080 x 1920 = 2073600 pixels (FULL HD)

768 x 1366 = 1049088 pixels (HD)

----------

1024512 more pixels

If my calculations are correct, there is nearly twice as many pixels with Full HD than HD. Surely that's got to make a difference.

Guest EZYHD
Mate all I can say is I was once caught up on the whole 1080 thing and as much as it killed me on a principle basis I ended up having to get the 508xda over the Lx because the difference in PQ just isnt there at most viewing distances. Seriously Im still blown away by everything I run on it, it is such a fantastic panel. Have not once thought, "gee I wish I had the 1080." Each to their own of course, but if your not satisfied with xda you are a fussy man indeed. If you can find one ;)

I agree, we still look at our XDA and say how fantastic the picture looks, we sit 3m from screen.

1080 x 1920 = 2073600 pixels (FULL HD)

768 x 1366 = 1049088 pixels (HD)

----------

1024512 more pixels

If my calculations are correct, there is nearly twice as many pixels with Full HD than HD. Surely that's got to make a difference.

Only if your sitting close - check the Seating Distance FAQ and you will find that our eyes can only resolve certain resolutions depending on viewing distance to screen/panel etc.

At 3+ mtrs you would be hard pressed to really see any great difference between a 1366x768 and 1920x1080 same size screen/panel.

Only if your sitting close - check the Seating Distance FAQ and you will find that our eyes can only resolve certain resolutions depending on viewing distance to screen/panel etc.

At 3+ mtrs you would be hard pressed to really see any great difference between a 1366x768 and 1920x1080 same size screen/panel.

Just a side question. Does the PDP-508XDA come with the speakers or I have to order them as well?

Just a side question. Does the PDP-508XDA come with the speakers or I have to order them as well?

Comes with a bottom speaker.Tho if you havent ordered a panel yet i dont think you will find one.

Comes with one detachable speaker which is mounted underneath the screen. Ones of the best features is that it can be removed leaving you with a perfect black gloss rectangle screen- very attractive. some call this the 'minimalist' look. I believe you can then use the speaker as your centre speaker in a dedicated 5/6/7.1 home threatre system or store it away & use your own. IMO looks MUCh better without than with. :blink:

Comes with one detachable speaker which is mounted underneath the screen. Ones of the best features is that it can be removed leaving you with a perfect black gloss rectangle screen- very attractive. some call this the 'minimalist' look. I believe you can then use the speaker as your centre speaker in a dedicated 5/6/7.1 home threatre system or store it away & use your own. IMO looks MUCh better without than with. :blink:

Even tho the speaker makes a great TV speaker i would not use it as a center in a dedicated HT set up,it may be ok if you are using a HTIB but not a decent HT amp.

Hi All,

Where can we still find the 508XDA's in sydney? :)

I'd be trying all the jb hi fi's. they hjave been overpromising a bit and buyers will have pulled out due to non delivery, the tv however still gets delivered to the store (well at least in the case of my local store) - (and not in sydney so dont ask!!! ;)

I'd be trying all the jb hi fi's. they hjave been overpromising a bit and buyers will have pulled out due to non delivery, the tv however still gets delivered to the store (well at least in the case of my local store) - (and not in sydney so dont ask!!! ;)

Hi,

Yeah i saw the 42" everywhere but i am after the bigger 50" as i already have a 42" Q9 samsung 1024X768 plasma.

When you say the image looks soft is this a bad or good thing? :)

The 42 is everywhere if need be ... $2000 is doable. Image looks soft though.

Mate,

I was at Harvey Norman at Martin Place today and they have the floor model on sale for $3636 ( I think)... call them up it has been there a couple of weeks now..

God, for that price just get the lx508a it is $4,800 if you try hard and will be more future proofed than an non 1080p model. When your watching it in ten years time you'll have forgotten about the $1,200 more, which will probably be how much it costs to fill the car :D

C3PO

Hi All,

Where can we still find the 508XDA's in sydney? :)

Hi Mate

Just saw one at Bing Lee Skygardens - their display model ticketed at $2799.

The area where they had it was dark so I couldn't really tell if there were visible signs of abuse to the bezel but from a quick once-over it seemed OK.

The contrast setting appeared to be set low too so hopefully it hadn't been driven that hard. I don't know how long it's been there for as a display model. I wouldn't trust what they say anyway but maybe there's an audit somewhere where you can check the number of hours usage?

You can check the number of hours by pressing the Info button, wait 3 seconds then left, up, left right, power on.

Do this from standby mode. If it worked the blue LED will light up then a second or two later an orange LED will light up on the right hand side of the screen. Press down arrow once or twice and you will see the hours count. Exit by pressing the power button again.

Not sure the salesman would be comfortable with you going into the service menu though! :)

Thanks Guys. I am after a new unit but i guess my hopes are not very good! If not i suppose i need to settle for the next best one, is it a panasonic 80A? 700A or 800A? Or maybe even a samsung q9? All at 50".

Thanks Guys. I am after a new unit but i guess my hopes are not very good! If not i suppose i need to settle for the next best one, is it a panasonic 80A? 700A or 800A? Or maybe even a samsung q9? All at 50".
Pioneer LX508