The Ultimate Blu-ray Player Buyers Guide

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guys,

Anyone out there with a Pio BDP120 tried to play .avi or .mkv files via the USB. I'm considering buying one off the Pio Clearance centre for $289 and have and external HDD full of movies in .avi format.

Cheers.

Some advice please. Currently looking to buy either the Sony BDP-S760 or the Onkyo DV-BD507. Haven't heard much about either model. Any thoughts on the way to go? Also anyone know prices for these two models.

Thanks

Edited by David1

The Sony BDP-S760 has had some excellent reviews and apparently shares most of its innards with a higher grade Sony BD player: e.g.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/home-cinema/...u-ray-Player/p1

My local Good Guys had one today for about $565 - there have been reports of them being ordered at JB HiFi for $599. GGs is the only shop in my area where I have seen them in stock.

I wouldn't be surprised is the Onkyo BD player is rebadged from one of the mainstream producers.

Some advice please. Currently looking to buy either the Sony BDP-S760 or the Onkyo DV-BD507. Haven't heard much about either model. Any thoughts on the way to go? Also anyone know prices for these two models.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know of a good Blu Ray lens cleaner that's available locally. Panasonic recommends it's own RP-CL720E cleaner, but try getting one in oz! There's the Maxell BR-LC available at Amazon that uses "air cleaning" , not sure if this would be much use. All ideas welcome.

Edited by keiron

Well I'd have to now recommend the AMTC Blu-Ray player from Dick Smith's.

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...uct/View/GH7110

My issues originally were due to a faulty USB and my TV. I've found out I sometimes lost sound was because of the TV. If I turned it off and on sound would work.

It upscales everything even MKV and DIVX. Picture quality is excellent. Pity there are no firmware updates though.

It works well for $179 bucks.

Hi Guys,

need some help for my parents set up. They just got a new tv and want to get a bluray player. At the moment they have an old HTIB dvd setup with the surround speakers being connected to the main unit. They want to keep the existing speakers and just replace the main unit with a BD capable player. Is this possible? From what I can gather analogue outputs on the back of most stand alone players need to still be connected to an AV Receiver, or can I just hook speakers straight to the analogue outputs? Can anyone suggest a player that might be able to do the job?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

You could buy a LG HD798 ? or HD799 which will come with a 250 or 500gb HDD respectively. I reckon they're good units that will obviously do you Blu-Ray playback, but will be able to record onto HDD and onto Blu-Ray discs or DVDs too. Unit has wireless built in to allow content streaming, as well as a USB port allowing any size external drive plugged in to be recorded onto directly or content backed up onto. Also the file format is fairly common, and can be converted easily once on a PC into your preferences. Hope that helped.... I may of got the model # prefex wrong though.

You could buy a LG HD798 ? or HD799 which will come with a 250 or 500gb HDD respectively. I reckon they're good units that will obviously do you Blu-Ray playback, but will be able to record onto HDD and onto Blu-Ray discs or DVDs too. Unit has wireless built in to allow content streaming, as well as a USB port allowing any size external drive plugged in to be recorded onto directly or content backed up onto. Also the file format is fairly common, and can be converted easily once on a PC into your preferences. Hope that helped.... I may of got the model # prefex wrong though.

I thought these units were BD playback only?

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys

I just purchased a Samsung UA55C7000

Currently have a LG HR598D That is not a 3d player, so i need a 3d blue ray player to go with the TV

I probably want a Samsung player do not need PVR capabilities just a stand alone 3d player

possibly looking at the BDC6900, also looking at the 5900 (it says it is 3d capable...what does this mean?)

I have an Older Yamaha Amp RXV459 - SO NO HDMI inputs, i will have to run Optical to the amp and HDMI to the tv

can you guys suggest what is best from your experience

Thanks

• 2 months later...