Sign in to follow this  
Bus_Boy

Advice for used reciever

I'm on the look out for a used receiver. Eventually it will become a pre-amp only, but in the mean time, i will be using it to run some DIY 2 ways. I've come across one on Ebay, a Yamaha RX-V663. Now it says it's that the rear channels can be used to bi-amp the mains. Does this mean that the rear channels, can be connected tweeters via the crossover (external passive) and the front channels to the woofers? Sorry if it sounds like a bit of a silly question, but it's one i dont know the answer to..

It also has YPAO auto calibration. Is this a worthwile feature? I

Edited by Bus_Boy

yes thats exactly what it means, i used to run my 661 like that (now i run it from an intergrated)

Ypao aint bad, but i find it stuffs up most of the time and i have to go in and change most of the settings by ear anyway. ut it does try and match the centre to the fronts which is good if its from a different manufacturer

If i'm using seperate channels, how does it limit the gain that goes to certain speakers? Obvisouly, if i bi amped it, my tweeters will not handle the same power as my woofers, how are the adjustements made?

If i'm using seperate channels, how does it limit the gain that goes to certain speakers? Obvisouly, if i bi amped it, my tweeters will not handle the same power as my woofers, how are the adjustements made?

The Xovers in the speakers should take care of that.

Do the Yamaha rears have the same power output as the front channels?

Not sure, i'll have to check, but i think it was 95 x 6, or there abouts..

could this also be done by using both A and B speaker terminals so you can still use the rear channels to drive the rear speakers or would you be connecting them to the same amps inside the receiver and therefore would make no difference. Oh, I think I just answered my own question.

no you cant use the A and B ones, as you have to choose between zone 1 and 2 when watching things

the surround channels are only the Surround Back channels so you can still get 5.1, just not 7.1.