Sign in to follow this  
redgsr

Anyone Buying A Bravia Who Doesn't Want The Ps3?

Forget RRP as it is irrelevant it is about relative value.

Anyone on this forum who pays RRP or even close to it please raise their hands.........what's that no one..OK let's move on.

Most people here, myself included wait until they feel they have acquired the best possible price they can negotiate for a product, or wait until the product is priced at a point that they deem the best value or the price that they were willing to pay for it.

My example is the Beyonwiz DP-P1 which I just purchased for $780. I refused to buy one until I could get one for under $800 as in my mind that is all I was willing to pay for it.

What it was actually worth was irrelevant to me as I was only willing to go this high for it.So if I post here asking if anyone wants to sell me a new DP-P1 for $780 contact me.

Then everyone jumps on and starts rambling about RRP and you could get $100 more on ebay etc etc.

I don't care.

If I cannot buy one for the price I am willing to pay I will not buy one.

If no one wants to sell me one for that price I will not buy one.

If people think they are worth more than that, keep them or sell them for more elsewhere.

I don't care as I will not pay more for it than it is worth to me in my eyes.

Again forget RRP or street price it is about relative value to the purchaser.

Think about that next time you go into a store and haggle a price with a salesman. Stop at the point you think he should sell it for not what you think it is worth to you. I bet you don't.

As I said earlier the $350 was IMHO a little low but not out of the question for an owner of one that had no interest in it, or already had one and didn't want to go to the trouble of advertising or ebay etc.

Byte-me you are spot on with your explanation!! The most important thing is how much you want to pay for it! If you are happy with the price, you will buy a product....if not wait till the price drops.

Guys, again I make this point......everyone is more than welcome to go out and get the best deal they possibly can....whether you are a seller or a buyer! If I was getting a PS3 for free, I'd be also looking at the best possible price I can fetch for it.

However, some of us are prepared to wait for prices to go down and then maybe look into purchasing one.....the best deal possible. Obviously, personally I am not in a hurry as I have a BD player and play PC games. People have made offers....if that's not up to your expectation, don't sell it at that price....that's the bottomline!

Edited by vinex

regardless if it is free or not, if something is worth x amount of dollars, i will try and sell it for as close to $x as it is worth, or more. its all about recouping your costs.

I used to be a store manager @ EB Games around 3-4 Years ago now. I saw how much the PS2 at the time cost us. And during the great PS2 XMAS WARS EB Games policy was to beat any price in the center of the PS2 by any retailer by $1. So i would go and check every day what the price was at the competitors in my center, and, upon returning to my store, undercut that price by $1. At one stage we were loosing $25 on every console we sold. So then it is up to my team to make up those losses - Extended Warranties [100% Margin], Memory Cards, Games, Bags you get the idea. Very rarely, anyone walked out of the store with JUST a console. Its all about getting customers into the store, having the experience of friendly sales staff, and hopefully, REPEAT BUSINESS. its where the money is AT for many years to come after the initial purchase!

Edited by mark_s

I'll spell it out again for you $557

You must live in lala land. I can tell you right now that the best price I could get anywhere from Penrith through to Parramatta last week was the one I purchased at $593.00 from JB. Domayne laughed at me and refused to talk any lower than $630, HN had no stock at all and were taking orders at $699 etc etc etc.

Now.... as far as it only being a BlueRay player and gaming console you should also consider that you can stream music, divx, avi and full dvd files from your networked computer....as well as connect to the net...if you really want to.

As far as prices dropping soon......have you tried to buy any console in the last day or so.....from what I can find out the only ones you can get is the Xbox 360.....seems like demand has outstripped supply....a real good reason to drop prices......NOT.

Was going to watch my new 52x Sony tonight. Might just watch this thread and get a laugh out of this instead......

Indeed, made my Friday at work go quicker.

99 posts and counting...

One more for a maiden century....

What if I told you I had a boxed Nintendo 64 in pristine condition, is that something you might be interested in?

actually i would, lol :P

this is crazy seeing as though you can walk into any GAME store and trade-in your used ps3 for $400 cash on the spot (there is your ebay fix losers) and we all know how much these stores rip with trade-in, but i think the moral of this thread is:

I ALREADY HAVE ONE AND ALL YOU LOSERS TRYING TO SCAM DON'T

:D :D :D :D

and i'll think of you when i'm playing mine tonight B)

Edited by cowabungadude

I can tell you right now that the best price I could get anywhere from Penrith through to Parramatta last week was the one I purchased at $593.00 from JB.

Obviously you did not try all stores.....western sydney is not entire sydney!

To the others, come up with as much sarcasm as you like.....we shall all see who has the last laugh!! Watch this space.

It seems this thread is going nowhere. We will agree to disagree. People on both sides have very strong views and neither party will change their views (well I know I am not changing mine).

lol, but you still don't have a ps3

and nobody is disagreeing here, you are just plain wrong and liar :D

kthxbi

Edited by cowabungadude

Obviously you did not try all stores.....western sydney is not entire sydney!

To the others, come up with as much sarcasm as you like.....we shall all see who has the last laugh!! Watch this space.

It seems this thread is going nowhere. We will agree to disagree. People on both sides have very strong views and neither party will change their views (well I know I am not changing mine).

POssibly I should have tried the more affluent areas of Sydney....I am sure they would have been much cheaper....then I could have wasted $30 worth of fuel to get there and find they were sold out.....silly me.

I am sure that you will come up with some way of trying to prove your point in the future....most likely with a reduced specification model....20 gig and no wireless connection......now that would constitute a price reduction.

As mentioned before......you still don't have a PS3....and I like a few others here are enjoying ours and having a good laugh as well.

As I said earlier the $350 was IMHO a little low but not out of the question for an owner of one that had no interest in it, or already had one and didn't want to go to the trouble of advertising or ebay etc.

I still dont get it. Why would someone avoid the 5 minutes and $50 required to get $300 odd more for their product than to be suckered by an individual such as yourself? And I will keep the second one too, because its a bumbling player/media centre/console.

Edited by rezok

I stumbled into this thread and find it intriguing. I am not into x-box, PS, etc and really couldn't care less about such items but one observation which many are overlooking is that the $350 being offered is not exactly a bad offer - certainly it cannot be considered scamming IMO. Whatever way you look at it, the PS3 being given free with the Bravias, as soon as it changes ownership, it becomes second hand, even if unopened. This is an undisputable fact. Do Sony PS3 consoles allow transfer of rights to a change of ownership? If it is second hand, many warranties I have seen usually only apply to the original owner. (I'm not sure about extended warranties though).Therefore, if the high street shop price (not rrp), going by figures bandied about here, is about $650, paying $550 is about 85% of new and that is with no warranty. Anyone buying at that price should be warned against it. IMO, doing a deal at $350 is about 54% of the $650 and is a fairer representation when buying something with no warranty - along with the seller having no hassle and no fees, etc..

Even if Sony do allow transfer of ownership, paying 85%+ for a second hand item is still high IMO.

Whatever ones views on this subject, some of the language used and the methods employed to attempt to twist peoples words in this thread is simply, nasty.

Agree, its more of a scam to ask for $500 or more. If any one actually buy it at this price from another person who got it free. Gee that person is one desparado!

Nothing in life is free. Most of the recent Sony Bravia purchasers probably paid close to $rrp for their new TV. A figure that, like with most electronic goods is quite exorbitant. No-one got a free PS3, they just got more value for their money.

Nothing in life is free. Most of the recent Sony Bravia purchasers probably paid close to $rrp for their new TV.

I bought my Bravia for 25% off RRP. Still, I'll be damned if I let the bonus PS3 go for under $500. I'd rather give it away for free to a remote family member...

Cheers

Steffen.

I stumbled into this thread and find it intriguing. I am not into x-box, PS, etc and really couldn't care less about such items but one observation which many are overlooking is that the $350 being offered is not exactly a bad offer - certainly it cannot be considered scamming IMO. Whatever way you look at it, the PS3 being given free with the Bravias, as soon as it changes ownership, it becomes second hand, even if unopened. This is an undisputable fact. Do Sony PS3 consoles allow transfer of rights to a change of ownership? If it is second hand, many warranties I have seen usually only apply to the original owner. (I'm not sure about extended warranties though).Therefore, if the high street shop price (not rrp), going by figures bandied about here, is about $650, paying $550 is about 85% of new and that is with no warranty. Anyone buying at that price should be warned against it. IMO, doing a deal at $350 is about 54% of the $650 and is a fairer representation when buying something with no warranty - along with the seller having no hassle and no fees, etc..

Even if Sony do allow transfer of ownership, paying 85%+ for a second hand item is still high IMO.

Whatever ones views on this subject, some of the language used and the methods employed to attempt to twist peoples words in this thread is simply, nasty.

Wrong. A warranty is a statutory legal right and applies to a product that in this case is under 12 months old.

Handing an unopened ps3 to another party with a shipping docket from sony will give you the same warranty rights and the purchaser of the tv in the first place.

Anything less than 10% is looking for a sucker - and there is no hassle, and I assure you the warranty will stand.

Edited by rezok

No...it could possibly be that YOU ARE WRONG! Sony may honour the warranty (I have not read the Sony warranty card so am unsure)....however, alot of electronic items have their warranty void once it is onsold regardless whether it is still under the initial warranty period. It is worth checking up on though.....just in case. Given the PS3 was provided on redemption, it may well be that Sony, having the initial purchasers details, may warrant it void if another individual claims.

If you read the small print on many warranty cards, it does void the warranty upon sale from the initial purchaser

Wrong. A warranty is a statutory legal right and applies to a product that in this case is under 12 months old.

Handing an unopened ps3 to another party with a shipping docket from sony will give you the same warranty rights and the purchaser of the tv in the first place.

Anything less than 10% is looking for a sucker - and there is no hassle, and I assure you the warranty will stand.

No...it could possibly be that YOU ARE WRONG! Sony may honour the warranty (I have not read the Sony warranty card so am unsure)....however, alot of electronic items have their warranty void once it is onsold regardless whether it is still under the initial warranty period. It is worth checking up on though.....just in case. Given the PS3 was provided on redemption, it may well be that Sony, having the initial purchasers details, may warrant it void if another individual claims.

If you read the small print on many warranty cards, it does void the warranty upon sale from the initial purchaser

I never claimed I was right - just what I had read in other warranties :P In this scenario. I'd have thought that whoever registered the TV would be considered the original PS3 owner. Also, regarding statuatory consumer legal rights, are these also only applied to the original purchaser (unless a manufacturer recall has determined a product wasn't 'fit for purpose' or dangerous at initial time of sale)?

Can I assume then that you would be prepared to pay 90%+ of the new price to a complete stranger for an easily obtainable, second hand item, irrespective of condition (its irrelevant here that the item in question is a 'freebie' - which of course, nothing really, truly, is :) )? Each to their own, it wouldn't be me, though I can understand those who'd feel that they'd rather give something away than accept a lower than anticipated price - I think I'd fall into that camp. Sometimes, its not all about the money but what you can do to help out others.

c Edited by Top_Bhoy

I'm based in Brisbane. I think I have pretty much decided on a Bravia x3100. I have no need for the

playstation as I have a gaming computer and will buy a hd dvd player.

I can let you know once I have purchased the tele if you like, probably over the next week or two at the

most.

Cameron

You do know that Warner Bros has just gone Blu-Ray exclusive? That gives Blu-Ray 75% of the HD market. Seems a little pointless to only own an HD-DVD player, and not a Blu-Ray.

Wow - this is one of the most controversial threads I've ever started on a forum! I go a way for the weekend and it's blown out to 8 pages!

Funny part is the $$$ I had set aside for a PS3 I decided to spend on a Mountain Bike on the weekend - girlfriend finally got her leave approved so we're going skiing overseas in a few weeks so I decided getting my fitness up would be much better than sitting on the couch.

So the initial, controversial offer is withdrawn, wonder what they'll be worth in late Feb when I get back ;) Might get a few games in the US.....

Edited by redgsr

Wow - this is one of the most controversial threads I've ever started on a forum! I go a way for the weekend and it's blown out to 8 pages!

Funny part is the $$$ I had set aside for a PS3 I decided to spend on a Mountain Bike on the weekend - girlfriend finally got her leave approved so we're going skiing overseas in a few weeks so I decided getting my fitness up would be much better than sitting on the couch.

So the initial, controversial offer is withdrawn, wonder what they'll be worth in late Feb when I get back ;) Might get a few games in the US.....

Cheaper to buy from www.playasia.com than USofA. I already have Gran-Tourismo 5 HD truley AWESOME...yep you enjoy your moutain bike thingy ma jiggy...we'll enjoy true HD entertainment :rolleyes:

We look forward to your next offer :rolleyes:

Haha. Thanks to redgsr for starting the most entertaining thread I have ever had the pleasure :blink: of being involved in.

Just so you all know, my original offer of $350 still stands.

If you do intend on responding to this thread, please keep in mind the forum guidelines. This includes the harassment of other forum members.

When was the last time you were asked to prove your identity and registration during a warranty claim?

You take your item to the centre with a receipt, if its within the 12 month period, its repaired. Simple. In this case, I assume it will be a congrats card from Sony dated xx.

Edited by rezok

well, to begin with many items require you to complete a warranty card with your personal details and attach the receipt (or name the retailer your purchased the item from). In fact, many state under warranty conditions that if the card is not complete, then the warranty is void. And yes, this did happen to me as I had not sent the warranty card on an item without the proof of purchase within a set time. WHile, after alot of complaining, I did get the item repaired, the fact is that it was a pain in the neck.

what they may do with this information is matched the purchasers details with a serial number of the item.

As I pointed out, you should not take it for granted an any second hand item that the warranty will be honoured. As I also said, this does not apply to all product manufacturers. It may be that Sony do not have this condition. However, be assured that many others do.

When was the last time you were asked to prove your identity and registration during a warranty claim?

You take your item to the centre with a receipt, if its within the 12 month period, its repaired. Simple. In this case, I assume it will be a congrats card from Sony dated xx.

Hi

i am based in brisbane. I have purchased a high def sony tv today. I want to off load my playstation 3. New in box. never opened. $500 can be either pick up in person or i can drop it off to south brisbane only.

0431 293 409

thanks