Anyone Buying A Bravia Who Doesn't Want The Ps3?

i just rang HN @ Moore Park

$687 + 1 free game [from a range] is their current price

i asked about doing a group buy for 50 units. i spoke to a manager. he said best price he can do is $650.

riiight.....

vinex, so how did you get it for $550 again? and $500 if you use your bargaining power? please tell me what this special power is which makes people want to give away something for nothing. please. i would love a super power like that. would put superman to shame!

Edited by mark_s

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It seems that the only people that are highly offended at the low offers made here are those that obviously paid too much for their Evil Bastard products and feel that the PS3 they dished out $1K for e few months back shouldn’t have depreciated so quickly and are annoyed at the fact that their little marvels are eventually reaching the kind of prices they should always have been at from the start."

Incorrect. the people that dished out 1k, got a lot more than just the base unit, which is what the watered down 40gig is.

The price of the current 40gig is misleading.. you get nothing with it. but you are still paying almost $700. Do the math.

As i mentioned in another post, the last 60gig pack i seen in retail, offered 2 games and the remote... or another controller.

Price was $939.

I have just bought my PS3 for $529!!! What a great deal....the RRP on this was $699.

If anyone wants the details of this deal please e-mail me on: iamsostupidforoverpaying@hotmail.com.

Happy to help.....

congratulations on the most ridiculous post I have read so far on this forum. : P

/cheer

$687 + 1 free game [from a range] is their current price

i asked about doing a group buy for 50 units. i spoke to a manager. he said best price he can do is $650.

I know what I saw in the store last week on Saturday....I was there!

You can strike good prices if the store negotiates a good deal with the company (Sony in this case) and then passes on the savings. If all the units bought in that consignment were sold out, the price would revert back to the normal. There is no way the store can sell you at a cheaper price (regardless you buy 50 or 500 units) if they have already paid a higher unit price.

In any case, no one's stupid enough to be making a false claim about a particular store knowing well that people would call or go to the store to enquire the price.

so it's best not to make presumptions. some people here actually don't like to see fellow members being ripped off and wanna say something about it.

exactly.

I only paid $520 for mine (import) when they were selling locally for $1K.

My entire point in posting in this thread was to warn people who might not know better (you know people who bought a Sont TV, got a free PS3, but have no real interest in gaming and no idea what they are worth?) that to accept an offer of $350 for a brand new PS3 would be crazy when they could easily get $500+ for no extra effort.

The fact that there is this little sub-culture amongst Sony owners that their products are worth more second-hand than new products is another reason we call them Evil Bastards Inc. because that is just not right. How Sony have managed to get their consumer to believe this is miraculous and obviously very clever. I just expected more of most of you guys on this forum (especially you Andrew). I do get that on ebay you can get high prices but seriously - who in their right mind would buy on ebay! And even if the box has not been opened on your freebie PS3, it is second-hand (just not used). Yeah yeah I know I am splitting hairs now, but I see a difference! Especially inside the first 14 days of ownership.

I just expected more of most of you guys on this forum (especially you Andrew).

Hang on, so you think that people should happily hand over their brand new, still sealed in the box PS3s for $350, when the cheapest you can get them in store is $650+ ???

The guy was trying to scam a cheap PS3, he was caught out.

There's no personal agenda, I just don't want to see someone who doesn't know better get ripped off.

exactly.

I only paid $520 for mine (import) when they were selling locally for $1K.

My entire point in posting in this thread was to warn people who might not know better (you know people who bought a Sont TV, got a free PS3, but have no real interest in gaming and no idea what they are worth?) that to accept an offer of $350 for a brand new PS3 would be crazy when they could easily get $500+ for no extra effort.

People on this forum are generally knowledgeable enthusiast types, surely they would know what a ps3 is worth.

I guess it can't hurt.

Hang on, so you think that people should happily hand over their brand new, still sealed in the box PS3s for $350, when the cheapest you can get them in store is $650+ ???

There's no personal agenda, I just don't want to see someone who doesn't know better get ripped off.

I dont think that $350 is totally unreasonable for something that is not bought from a retailer direct - even if a bit on the low side. I do however think that asking $500 or more is a rip-off. Not just because the new price is not much more, but also because they shouldnt sell for this much in the first place and as such their value is inflated to start with - a big reason that HD-DVD has always been the better of the two options for consumers (not that I want to start another format war thread).

Hey, you hang on!! No one is trying to scam anyone here. People are quite knowledgeable on this forum and no one's a fool!

What basically people are saying is that in the next month or so the prices of PS3 are bound to come down even further once the market is saturated. So if you are unable to get your asking price, there are some on this forum who have offered $350.

If you think you can sell them for $600, please go ahead and sell them....no one is stopping you.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a PS3 of e-bay unless it's a pickup.

I dont think that $350 is totally unreasonable for something that is not bought from a retailer direct - even if a bit on the low side. I do however think that asking $500 or more is a rip-off. Not just because the new price is not much more, but also because they shouldnt sell for this much in the first place and as such their value is inflated to start with - a big reason that HD-DVD has always been the better of the two options for consumers (not that I want to start another format war thread).

I've been sitting back reading this thread with much laughter, biting my tongue in an effort to not add my 2 cents worth. But this one - I couldn't resist!

The thread started off looking for anyone wanting to make a few bucks selling a PS3 they didn't need/want - now you're deciding that a PS3 isn't worth what people are paying for it?! Are you nuts?!

I appreciate value is an inherently subjective term, but if we stick with the "it's worth whatever someone will pay for it" theory, these things are if anything UNDERVALUED.

The shelf price is $598/$699, and judging by many recent threads many retailers are out of stock. Applying the laws of supply and demand then, surely a PS3 is worth MORE than that RRP figure! Alternatively if you consider that in the absence of any other 'tangible' concepts, something is 'worth' the production cost plus a profit margin (this is how the world works, even if you actually believe Sony is currently 'giving them away') - then surely they are still worth somewhere in the vicinity of $500.

It's one thing to be adding general chit-chat but when you're talking complete and unadulterated crap, well... it seems you have only 2 'allies' in this thread - everyone else thinks you're a flog. I'm inclined to side with the overwhelming majority myself.

I know I'm also probably getting off topic here but I just can't help myself any longer, I'm bored at work and need to pass the time until I can watch the cricket after the lunch break somehow!

In your not-so-humble opinion then, what is the true 'value' of a PS3? And on what complex and intellectual basis have you arrived at this value?

I also believe that if something is unopened/sealed/not been used, it is still new, regardless of whether it's sitting on a shelf or in someone's cupboard at home

/end rant!

Edited by ronburgundy

Do they need anymore employees at your work?

Actually yes, but that's another matter! If you know of any good accountants, send them my way.

I actually do have stuff to do but...meh...I'm in full on CBF mode. There's about 25 of us here this week (out of 100 normally) and it's soooooo quiet.

ronburgundy

As I wait eagerly in anticipation of any opportunity to entertain you and others, I will indulge you on my feelings of the "value" of a PS3.

Value is subjective and as such value to me is not based on the ability to game (on PS3), production costs plus profit (or minus loss) or the relative merits of BD over HD-DVD for starters but rather, on what the improvements these formats give above other media that I am interest in such as FTA, DVD, Fox etc. Call me Joe Average if you like, but for the price premium BD and PS3 are asking for the relatively minor overall improvement in PQ and sound, just do not stack up. Add to that the BD movies are a lot more expensive than DVD and its not even close. HD-DVD are on the right track with Toshiba machines marching out of retailers like Amazon and Walmart for $99 recently. That find of price starts stacking up very well compared to DVD even if the movies are twice the price of DVD's at the moment. Add the fact that theres no region locking on HD-DVD and the game is well and truly on. So to cut to the chase, I value a PS3 at slightly more than DVD (maybe as much as double the value) but certainly not as much as 10X the value (on the player side) like the pricing of PS3. There just isn’t 10X the extra picture and sound quality.

Edited by Bertzz

ronburgundy

As I wait eagerly in anticipation of any opportunity to entertain you and others, I will indulge you on my feelings of the "value" of a PS3.

Value is subjective and as such value to me is not based on the ability to game (on PS3), production costs plus profit (or minus loss) or the relative merits of BD over HD-DVD for starters but rather, on what the improvements these formats give above other media that I am interest in such as FTA, DVD, Fox etc. Call me Joe Average if you like, but for the price premium BD and PS3 are asking for the relatively minor overall improvement in PQ and sound, just do not stack up. Add to that the BD movies are a lot more expensive than DVD and its not even close. HD-DVD are on the right track with Toshiba machines marching out of retailers like Amazon and Walmart for $99 recently. That find of price starts stacking up very well compared to DVD even if the movies are twice the price of DVD's at the moment. Add the fact that theres no region locking on HD-DVD and the game is well and truly on. So to cut to the chase, I value a PS3 at slightly more than DVD (maybe as much as double the value) but certainly not as much as 10X the value (on the player side) like the pricing of PS3. There just isn’t 10X the extra picture and sound quality.

27 minutes until the lunch break is over!

Ok so even if I don't agree, you've at least got a reasonably intelligent answer, I will concede that much.

But what we're talking about is relatively juvenile technologies, such that the costs to produce what you deem to be a 'merely' incremental increase in PQ/SQ are high. Again though, think back to when DVD/PS2 (and PS1 for that matter) cost when they were at the same phase in their life cycle as PS3.

At $699, that is 10x $69.99, which is roughly what one pays for a DVD player from Strathfield, or perhaps a Tevion or something. While they share the same medium as 'better' DVD players, they're not quite as good quality. I'm relatively ignorant on such things really, but from all I hear PS3 is an excellent BD player, and if you want to compare BD to a $70 DVD player well you're probably missing the point.

I also don't know a lot about HD-DVD, other than the fact that you need to buy an add-on to the X360 to make a meaningful comparison to PS3 (a gaming machine that playes HD movie material). I'm not sure what that does to the comparison in terms of price (hey I might be ignorant, but at least I'm admitting it, unlike some!), but then from what I can gather you're suggesting HD-DVD has more 'value' than PS3/BD - in which case why do you want one in the first place, even if you are willing to wait to get it?

Oh this is fun - 18 minutes and counting!

why do you want one in the first place, even if you are willing to wait to get it?

I want a BD and HD-DVD player if a winner of the war doesnt emerge soon, but only at a price that stacks up. For me thats in the range that Yanks are paying for HD-DVD player when on special ($99) or maybe even as high as $200. I know that aint getting me a PS3 for a very long time, but I am sure that HD-DVD will win because of this fact. Gaming on PS3 can only prop up BD for so long.

Edited by Bertzz

Agree, its more of a scam to ask for $500 or more. If any one actually buy it at this price from another person who got it free. Gee that person is one desparado!

I just expected more of most of you guys on this forum (especially you Andrew).

gay, this is the worst post ive ever read, he is genuinely trying to help those who have no clue about ps3 prices, whilst those offering these ridiculous $350 prices know exactly that some don't know the real value of their ps3's, and are trying to take advantage of that.

That to me is a SCAM, and those who do it can go DIAF.

Andrew, you're the man, keep it up, some people on here are scum

gay, this is the worst post ive ever read, he is genuinely trying to help those who have no clue about ps3 prices, whilst those offering these ridiculous $350 prices know exactly that some don't know the real value of their ps3's, and are trying to take advantage of that.

That to me is a SCAM, and those who do it can go DIAF.

Andrew, you're the man, keep it up, some people on here are scum

Its silly to accuse those offering $350 is trying to SCAM.

Even mum and dads going to the shop and bought a new sony tv, will have been told it comes with a free PS3 by redemption, and naturally people will ask how much it cost. in most other shops like Myer and DJ they even print it out free PS3 RRP at 699..

If those who bought a SOny tv and have no clue about the free PS3 he's going to get VIA REDEMPTION. (Means he has to make an effort to redeem it!) , he must me living in the cave all these years.

And you are telling me people who comes to this forum to offer their PS3 for sale have no clue of ps3 price??

you're the man, keep it up, some people on here are scum

Cowabungadude, the only scum on this forum is you!! Have read some of your recent postings and your language is utter filth!! Go and get laid to get some of that frustation out of you!

Edited by vinex

The PlayStation 3's initial production cost is estimated to have been US$805.85 for the 20 GB model and US$840.35 for the 60 GB model;[37] however, they were priced at US$499 and US$599, respectively.[38] The high manufacturing costs meant that every unit was sold at a loss of approximately $250

That's as ridiculous as the proposition that seller stores make only 6% profit on the PS3 units. OK...6% of $699 is approx $42. Stores like Big W & Kmart advertise these units at $598. Therefore these stores would be making a loss of $57 each time they sell a unit!! Smart business tactics!!

Edited by vinex