Philips 47pfl9632d 47"

Guest monkey_boyau

Ive not even had the TV (Philips 47pfl9632d 47") a day yet but.

In the Demo section of the menu's there is a split screen with 100Hz on and off on each side, to be perfectly honest i couln't tell the difference when viewing the tennis yesterday but didnt really have a good look only playing last night. Not event sure the tennis is a good test, but it was the fastest moving image i could find at the time.

I will have another play tonight and see,

Am well impressed with the TV so far, had my laptop hooked up through DVI to HDMI converter, hugh desktop, episodes through laptop looks good.

Has anyone started a Philips 47pfl9632d 47" owners thread yet??

Hi Rapture

Thanks for the info, this Philips 47pfl9632d 47" seems to be more promising evey time i look into it.

in regards to the 100Hz, i don't think you would notice much of a difference until you see a pan scan of image (like a panoramic view of some buildings or where someone quickly moves across the screen) Would really like to get some reviews on how this LCD looks with these types of viewing. Maybe try some action DVDs or something that has landscapes on the background.

BTW has anyone noticed any ghosting effects on the Philips 47pfl9632d 47"?

if anyone knows of a thread thats for users of the Philips 47pfl9632d 47" please let me know.

Cheers

analLIATOR

Edited by analLIATOR

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Frank Benign
Done.

Thanks a lot! Of course you know what you've done now? I was waivering, only semi-interested before. Now I'm going to have to go and buy it.

Well I had an interesting day. Went into Myer in the city (Melbourne), using Sschen's invoice (from Myer in Garden City - Thanks!) as backup. I said to the store rep - I believe his name was Michael - that I knew a bloke who'd bought this TV for a bit under $3100. I said I knew he'd gotten a pretty good price, I didn't expect to price match, but I wondered how close he could get. At first he tried to convince me that I was mistaken, it must have been the 42 inch. I said no problem, let's take a look at the receipt (which clearly shows it's a 47 inch). He studied it for about 15 seconds and then starts going on about how he'd seen "heaps of these" and how he'd rang Myer Garden City and there was no such transaction. Nice way to sell TVs - first treat your seller as an idiot, and then accuse them of being dishonest. I've got no issue with not being able to match the price, but I do have a problem with that sort of attitude - if he'd said "sorry, best I can do is $3400" or whatever I wouldn't have a problem. He didn't even try to negotiate or make an alternative offer, in fact he was quite shirty. Needless to say even if he rang now and offered to give me the TV for free I wouldn't take it. Anyway, I said no worries, if you can't get close I'll go elsewhere. (Interestingly this is similar to my last customer service experience in Myer when a woman working there tried to convince me that the iron I was returning wasn't broken and if it was leaking I must have been using it wrong - how she did this without even opening the box is something of a mystery to me, nor am I quite sure how you can use an iron incorrectly - did she perhaps think I had it upside down?). This is the last time I'll bother even going to Myer to get a quote - doubt I'll bother asking them about the appliances I'm buying for our kitchen/bathroom renos in the next few months.

Went into Harvey Norman (in QV). Spoke with a nice bloke named Oliver. He said his best price was $3700 or thereabouts. Asked him if he could do better, he was firm. I thanked him and was wandering off when he yelled out that he'd make a call and see if he could do better. He came back with $3350, which is still not what I want to pay but at least is in the ballpark of the more reasonable figures we've seen here (plus just as importantly he gets points for effort at engaging with me). Downside is earliest delivery is mid-Feb (meaning they haven't even been loaded on the boat in China yet).

Rang around, none of the Good guys I rang - Thomastown, Brighton, Nunawading from memory - could get close to $3350, although Thomastown said they could do better than their list price of $3600 or so if I came in, but they couldn't give me a better price over the phone as they didn't give cash prices that way. I pointed out that I was in the city, and was unlikely to make a trip all the way out to Thomastown on spec that he might have a better price, but he was insistent. Fair enough, not my problem, I'll just buy elsewhere. On the plus side if there is someone out there who hasta, hasta, hasta have it now Good Guys seem to have stock.

So that was my day.

Well I had an interesting day. Went into Myer in the city (Melbourne), using Sschen's invoice (from Myer in Garden City - Thanks!) as backup. I said to the store rep - I believe his name was Michael - that I knew a bloke who'd bought this TV for a bit under $3100. I said I knew he'd gotten a pretty good price, I didn't expect to price match, but I wondered how close he could get. At first he tried to convince me that I was mistaken, it must have been the 42 inch. I said no problem, let's take a look at the receipt (which clearly shows it's a 47 inch). He studied it for about 15 seconds and then starts going on about how he'd seen "heaps of these" and how he'd rang Myer Garden City and there was no such transaction. Nice way to sell TVs - first treat your seller as an idiot, and then accuse them of being dishonest. I've got no issue with not being able to match the price, but I do have a problem with that sort of attitude - if he'd said "sorry, best I can do is $3400" or whatever I wouldn't have a problem. He didn't even try to negotiate or make an alternative offer, in fact he was quite shirty. Needless to say even if he rang now and offered to give me the TV for free I wouldn't take it. Anyway, I said no worries, if you can't get close I'll go elsewhere. (Interestingly this is similar to my last customer service experience in Myer when a woman working there tried to convince me that the iron I was returning wasn't broken and if it was leaking I must have been using it wrong - how she did this without even opening the box is something of a mystery to me, nor am I quite sure how you can use an iron incorrectly - did she perhaps think I had it upside down?). This is the last time I'll bother even going to Myer to get a quote - doubt I'll bother asking them about the appliances I'm buying for our kitchen/bathroom renos in the next few months.

Went into Harvey Norman (in QV). Spoke with a nice bloke named Oliver. He said his best price was $3700 or thereabouts. Asked him if he could do better, he was firm. I thanked him and was wandering off when he yelled out that he'd make a call and see if he could do better. He came back with $3350, which is still not what I want to pay but at least is in the ballpark of the more reasonable figures we've seen here (plus just as importantly he gets points for effort at engaging with me). Downside is earliest delivery is mid-Feb (meaning they haven't even been loaded on the boat in China yet).

Rang around, none of the Good guys I rang - Thomastown, Brighton, Nunawading from memory - could get close to $3350, although Thomastown said they could do better than their list price of $3600 or so if I came in, but they couldn't give me a better price over the phone as they didn't give cash prices that way. I pointed out that I was in the city, and was unlikely to make a trip all the way out to Thomastown on spec that he might have a better price, but he was insistent. Fair enough, not my problem, I'll just buy elsewhere. On the plus side if there is someone out there who hasta, hasta, hasta have it now Good Guys seem to have stock.

So that was my day.

Considering I am in Perth, I would have thought you guys in Melbourne or Sydney should be able to get better pricings. In fact, the TV box still has an Australia Post shipping note that says that it was shipped from Philips Eastern Creek NSW on 04/01/2008 to the Perth Myer Kewdale warehouse.

Have you tried a different Myer store? Don't let the poor experience of one Myer store deters you from shopping from another Myer store. HN's extended warranty seems to be cheapest? I did not take up the Myer extended warranty because I feel it is too expensive. Personally I will prefer to have five years warranty cover on this TV as I am not likely to upgrade again till five years time? So maybe try to get HN to give you the additional two years warranty for free to seal the deal? I would have been happy to pay $3350 with five years warranty cover.

...hmmm, any ideas how much I should pay for a wall bracket for the 32"? I saw the flat-against-the-wall type in Myer for $129 - surely they come cheaper!! Also, how does the 32" get delivered? Will I be responsible for delivery cost? If so, how much did you pay? Got the 47" delivered today - beautiful!

The 32" model was delivered by a courier for nicks, just called me in the morning and said he would be there in the afternoon with my TV. Posted my receipt etc on 2 Jan and had the freebie delivered on 14 Jan.

So that was my day.

...hmmm, goes to show not all stores are the same. I had a great time with Myer. I went in and said "I know what TV I want, so you don't have to show me anything. In return I want you to match my price". I then told the guy I want it for $3300 delivered, and with HDMI cable ($89.95), paying on my credit card, and points going to my Myer One card (same deal as BJ - I thought it was a fair price so I didn't want to screw them more on price). The guy had a quick chat to his boss and came back with a yes. Sticking point was the extended warranty, which started at $429, then went to $370. They then agreed to $300 when I said that I knew someone else had been quoted that amount but didn't take it up. I went home to think about it. Then I paid my deposit by phone a week ago, no hassles. Was advised earlier this week that the TV is in the warehouse. When I went to pay in full, they told me the extended warranty was on special at $259, so I saved an extra $41. And I'll get a $60 gift card with the Myer One credits. Delivery was yesterday. Driver was running late - he rang to advise new time, and came when he said he would. Have now sent in my redemption form for the 32" and am happily watching the big one! Ambilight takes it from excellent viewing to perfect. MYER's MY STORE!!! And Philips is my TV!

On the other hand, at GG a salesman quoted me $3500 on 27/12, then same fellow quoted me $3700 2 days later, and told me it depends on how hungry he is on the day I buy as to what price we settle on. HN's wouldn't even have a phone conversation with me - he wanted me standing in front of him before discussing anything. Domayne quoted a flat $3800. Woman at Bing Lee had no clue, but every time she took a few dollars off the list price she kept telling me how it was coming out of her pay - such a turn-off, I'm never going in there again.

...hmmm, goes to show not all stores are the same. I had a great time with Myer. I went in and said "I know what TV I want, so you don't have to show me anything. In return I want you to match my price". I then told the guy I want it for $3300 delivered, and with HDMI cable ($89.95), paying on my credit card, and points going to my Myer One card (same deal as BJ - I thought it was a fair price so I didn't want to screw them more on price). The guy had a quick chat to his boss and came back with a yes. Sticking point was the extended warranty, which started at $429, then went to $370. They then agreed to $300 when I said that I knew someone else had been quoted that amount but didn't take it up. I went home to think about it. Then I paid my deposit by phone a week ago, no hassles. Was advised earlier this week that the TV is in the warehouse. When I went to pay in full, they told me the extended warranty was on special at $259, so I saved an extra $41. And I'll get a $60 gift card with the Myer One credits. Delivery was yesterday. Driver was running late - he rang to advise new time, and came when he said he would. Have now sent in my redemption form for the 32" and am happily watching the big one! Ambilight takes it from excellent viewing to perfect. MYER's MY STORE!!! And Philips is my TV!

On the other hand, at GG a salesman quoted me $3500 on 27/12, then same fellow quoted me $3700 2 days later, and told me it depends on how hungry he is on the day I buy as to what price we settle on. HN's wouldn't even have a phone conversation with me - he wanted me standing in front of him before discussing anything. Domayne quoted a flat $3800. Woman at Bing Lee had no clue, but every time she took a few dollars off the list price she kept telling me how it was coming out of her pay - such a turn-off, I'm never going in there again.

Lowtech

Thanks for this. I think I might just go to another Myer store and see if I can ask to buy the 5 years product cover for the price you are paying. I guess I won't know till I ask?

Amazing how stores differ isn't it? It's such a people game - some people are suited to retailing and some aren't. If the guy I dealt with at myer had been like the bloke you dealt with he quite probably would have had a sale on the day. I think he was pretty happy with himself though, he seemed to be the only salesman in the TV section and he'd just sold something - not quite sure what - to the couple ahead of me. Spending ten minutes waiting to be served didn't exactly make my experience any more enjoyable.

In terms of extended warranty, I'd probably be keen to add an extra two years. I've been looking around, quite surprising that someone on the net isn't selling them, not for TVs anyway (I've seen them for cars and small consumer items, like MP3 players, but not TVs). Strikes me that there would be a good little market for those people who want a couple of extra years but aren't willing to pay the world for it.

Hi All,

I have read this topic from the beginning and like many I went in with the plan of buying a Sony X 46" but now am hooked onto a Philips ... the PQ is equally good.

Now I am sourcing the best price in Melbourne so that I can enjoy the cricket and tennis before it ends.

So can anyone *pretty* please provide me a receipt (preferably Melbourne) to reynoldspecial at gmail.com that matches BJ's deal.

Thanks so much in advance.

To all 47pfl9632d owners out there, I have a quick question...

Do we have the ability to display the input signal's refresh rate and resolution?

Hi noisuf

I have done a quick test with my laptop through DVI to HDMI converter, the onscreen information (button on the remote 'i+') will display the resolution, (cant see refresh rate)

for example

set my laptop to 800 * 600 tv displays 'SVGA'

set my laptop to 1024 768 tv displays 'XGA'

set my laptop to 1080p and the tv shows 'HD 1080p'

Unfortunately dont have any other inputs like dvd, blue ray or games consoles to test.

Hope this helps

Hi noisuf

I have done a quick test with my laptop through DVI to HDMI converter, the onscreen information (button on the remote 'i+') will display the resolution, (cant see refresh rate)

for example

set my laptop to 800 * 600 tv displays 'SVGA'

set my laptop to 1024 768 tv displays 'XGA'

set my laptop to 1080p and the tv shows 'HD 1080p'

Unfortunately dont have any other inputs like dvd, blue ray or games consoles to test.

Hope this helps

Hi Rapture, yeah, I can see XGA also when I connect my laptop. However, I would like to see especially what frame rate the TV is receiving, eg. from my PS3...whether it is 24p...

I know Sonys and Samsungs can show this...

Edited by noisuf

Philips gimme da shits, I was begging them for this TV 6 months ago and they only had the poxy 720p in 42"

So I got the X series Sony 46".

Now the friggin thing is outdated within 6 months and philips have bought out what I wanted FFS!

I'd buy it and stick the sony in the shed if the wife would let me!

thanks very much for this thread. I was really tossing up between the Sony X Series 46" as I have always bought Sony but now will go for the Philips 47". Just like so many others could someone kindly email me (victor@virginbroadband.com.au) a copy of their invoice (preferably from a Melb store). The best price I got today from HVN Knox was 3650 for both the Sony and the Philips.

Thanking you in advance.

Hi, was wondering if somebody could forward a receipt for this Philips LCD to majestik36 (at) yahoo.com it would be much appreciated. For anyone who is interested - i have a receipt for a sony 46' w series for $2900. Please let me know if you wish for me to pass this on. Cheers and many thanks in advance!

hi all. just wanted to ask. in regards to using foxtel on the Philips 47" some people here have actually said that they are getting good picture. i wanted to know what type of connections you used for this as i am using scart to component on my Samsung M8 and after i replace the M8 with the Philips 47pfl9632d 47", i noticed that it has a Scart in. would a scart to scart be better that scart to component on this TV?

any advise would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

analLIATOR

ello again

also wanted to ask, This may have been asked already. does the Philips 47pfl9632d 47" play 1080p/24Hz? and is so has anyone seen this?

yes it does, it says so on page 42 of the manual. Here is an extract of it:

Video formats

Resolution

Refresh rate

480i

60Hz

480p

60Hz

576i

50Hz

576p

50Hz

720p

50, 60Hz

1080i

50, 60Hz

1080p

24Hz, 25Hz, 30 Hz

1080p

50Hz, 60Hz

Here is another good review for the 47PFL9632D that was recently posted on CNET UK: http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/televisions/0,39...49295123,00.htm

From what I've read on the AvForums threads and in some reviews, this TV is considered by many to handle SD content better than any other LCD which is nice to know. However, people who do a lot of gaming should note that in the Philips 37/42/47pfl9632/9732 thread, they are saying there is a picture lag of 120ms which makes some games such as Guitar Hero 3 or Singstar virtually unplayable but has little affect on FPSs like Call of Duty 4. This is not a major concern for me as I don't have a gaming console, although I do enjoy the occasional FPS or strategy game on the PC and I may get a PS3 in the future. I'm not sure how this latency compares with other LCDs but some one has recently started a LCD Gaming Lag and Ratings thread to try and ascertain this.

My TV was meant to be arriving in the Melbourne warehouse on Jan 18th but has been put pack to Jan 25th. I was disappointed when I found out as I was looking forward to watching the tennis and test cricket but oh well. I'm glad that I'd not payed earlier as the delayed delivery times has given me some extra haggling leverage. After I told them that a competitor had the TV in stock now and could match their price, Myer brought their former price of $3350 + ~$48 delivery down to $3320 including delivery + I'll get ~$65 back on gift vouchers through the Myer One card. I haven't seen any one else in Adelaide comment about price in this thread so I'll assume this is reasonable.