Sign in to follow this  
monkey_boyau

Philips 47pfl9632d 47"

Hi BJ your invoice was great. Myer Marroochydore was out of stock but would do the deal on a back order so I ended up at Harvey Norman on the Sunshine Coast Queensland and got one for $3264 including delivery. I paid an extra $299 for an aditional 4 years warrenty which gives a total of 7 years. The original warenty price was $799 so they have quite a marin there. Thanks heaps for your invoice as it made all the difference. Good Guys only came to $3699.

It seems you guys in QLD are getting the best deals. I have gone to a couple of HNs and GG and none would go near $3300. I have also gone to a few of the Myer stores in VIC and the most of them can only do $3400 but without the free cable. All these guys say they won't go below cost. I finally got one to do it for $3300 without free cable which I have bought. Its a backorder but I should get it by the end of next week. Happy with that. Now just really looking forard to getting the TV. Thanks again for the invoice BJ.

Hi,

thortt- Goodguys Caringbah.

Robbie- I bought a surge protector I think it does help a bit but not sure it completely rids the screen of it.

But all in all it really isnt a big deal, its just that if another screen might outperform the Philips anywhere, it could be here...

By the way, I bought the last one in stock, but they might have more stock by now.

Goodluck,

Joseph

Hi Joseph, I rang GG' Caringbah to try to match your price on the Philips. I didn't have a copy of your recepit, but had your first name and purchase date. The guy went and checked the records and got back to me and said that you got the $3300 price because you are a friend of the owner's. Is that right? They would definately not match the price.

BJ's receipt sent to dusty, rowd and jingsu.

BJ, your receipt is famous here at Myer, Melbourne :excl:

Hi all:

Bought the Philips 47" on Thursday from Myer in Carinade, Brisbane. He quoted me $3800 as well but I said I have a price of $3300 with free delivery and HDMI cable. He matched it without much effort, which kinda made me a bit concerned (kinda too easy)

Anyway it arrived yesterday, but the delivery people had left the Myer invoice still on the side of the box. So now I know how much Myer bought it for.

Their Price is $3021 inc GST, which means they still made about 10% on the TV.

So I suggest to you guys to try and bargin to around the $3150 mark as that would be a good price.

Considering all that I still think I got a good deal as I paid using diners (points), myer one ($60 back), free deliver ($35), Free 1.5 metre HDMI cable ($89).

Will try and scan the myer invoice if anyone else needs it.

Copy of receipt to: kevskii@hotmail.com pretty please... Thx.

Edited by mafia

Thanks Buthcher, Robbyw and Aswan. Good to see I could help you guys.

Make sure you get your TV before end of month and express post the tag on the box and form ASAP so as not to miss out on your free TV.

Couple of points.

1. The Warranty in the box said only one year, so I rand the help line philips has provided and rechecked. Apparently there is a new warranty if you buy your LCD after October. One year become 3 years. Yahoo.

2. extra 4 year warranty for $300 sounds like a good deal, but if the TV doesn't have faults by 3 years, likely it won't by 7, so save yourself the $300 and just put it on home insurance.

3. Once you all got your TVs we should discuss how you can upgrade the firmware and if anyone can get the perfect settings for this awsome LCD.

BJ

Hi BJ,

Reading the comments about this TV on the forum has confirmed that this is the television to buy within the next few days. Would you please email a copy of the receipt to jingsu6688@hotmail.com. Many Thanks. :)-

Best regards

Jing Su

Hi

I am also impressed with the Philips 47pfl9632d47 and reading the comments on the forum really confirm this is the TV I should buy. So far the best price I have been quoted is $3800.00(HN Malaga WA).

Is anyone able to email me an invoice for a lower price to josteve4@bigpond.net.au or recommend a store in Perth that would be able to beat $3800.00.

Thanks

Gunther

Hi

I am also impressed with the Philips 47pfl9632d47 and reading the comments on the forum really confirm this is the TV I should buy. So far the best price I have been quoted is $3800.00(HN Malaga WA).

Is anyone able to email me an invoice for a lower price to josteve4@bigpond.net.au or recommend a store in Perth that would be able to beat $3800.00.

Thanks

Gunther

HN Osb Park. See Remo, who got it for me at $3500. Retra Osb Park had it on the floor at $3699. they are walking out the door - actually, I am waiting for mine and was supposed to get it Friday but they are selling them more quickly than they can get them in. He tells me they are 1/3 of their way presold on their next delivery on Monday.

I asked previously in the post but has anyone got any advice re changing default settings and "calibration" - whatever that means...

Hi all, here is another review on this TV for those who are interested: http://hometheatermag.com/lcds/1207lcd/index1.html

Overall, it's given a good rating and compares well with the other TVs. However, two things that concern me a bit are its contrast ratio and non-adjustable backlight.

The 47PFL9732D's only real hindrance is a lower contrast ratio that prevented the image from having as much depth and richness as the other TVs. This display doesn't have an adjustable backlight, relying only on a light sensor that automatically adjusts its brightness based on room conditions. Turning this feature off limits both black level and light output, so you should definitely keep it on. Even then, the TV wasn't as bright as the others in a well-lit room, nor were its blacks as deep in a darkened room with demo scenes from Batman Begins and V for Vendetta. .... The best contrast ratio was achieved with the Light Sensor enabled, but with a piece of gaffer's tape covering the sensor itself. This allowed for a consistent black-level performance. ...

As mentioned in the review, it seems that to obtain the best contrast ratio and black level performance, the sensor needs to be covered so that a dark room scenario is emulated, which causes the backlight to dim. In addition to the contrast issue, I think the backlighting system may unnecessarily increase power consumption. From what I’ve read on the CNET US website, the Sony 46X3100 and Samsung 46” F8 only consume approximately 140-150W (~half their maximum power rating), once calibrated for a dark room. For the Samsung calibration, the backlight was turned down to only 30%. In the case of the Philips TV, the backlight could be set high constantly depending on ambient lighting of the room and the sensitivity of the sensor, which could mean the TV consumes a level of power close to its maximum rating of 275W. If some one has a power meter I'd be really interested to see how many watts this TVs draws both with and without the Ambilight.

Since high backlight=>more power, therefore more power=>more heat=>more component degradation=>shorter TV lifespan! I know I’m being a bit pedantic here but this does make some sense. Either way I’m sure the lifespan will be 60,000 hrs or what ever the spec says but my point is that it could be marginally longer if they allowed the backlight to be manually set to a lower value, plus less power would be used and the black levels may be better. Obviously, setting the backlight low would not be a good idea if the PQ is adversely affected.

Having said all that, I think the non-adjustable backlight is a feature I'm prepared to live with. Perhaps Philips will release a firmware update for this but I'd say that is unlikely as I have read nothing about it in the overseas forums. I currently have the 47PFL9632D on hold at a Myer store in Adelaide and should be picking it up on the 18th. From what I observed at a store recently, I thought the SD picture of the cricket and tennis looked good. The TV seemed to handle fast motion very well and I could not observe TBE, which the Samsung F8 is said to intermittently suffer from. Admittedly, up close I could see a fair bit of pixelation and noise but this was evident on all other TVs displaying a SD broadcast and it became negligible when viewing from the normal distance of about 2.5-3 meters. I would have liked to see some full HD content but a source was not available.

Hi all, here is another review on this TV for those who are interested: http://hometheatermag.com/lcds/1207lcd/index1.html

Overall, it's given a good rating and compares well with the other TVs. However, two things that concern me a bit are its contrast ratio and non-adjustable backlight.

As mentioned in the review, it seems that to obtain the best contrast ratio and black level performance, the sensor needs to be covered so that a dark room scenario is emulated, which causes the backlight to dim. In addition to the contrast issue, I think the backlighting system may unnecessarily increase power consumption. From what I’ve read on the CNET US website, the Sony 46X3100 and Samsung 46” F8 only consume approximately 140-150W (~half their maximum power rating), once calibrated for a dark room. For the Samsung calibration, the backlight was turned down to only 30%. In the case of the Philips TV, the backlight could be set high constantly depending on ambient lighting of the room and the sensitivity of the sensor, which could mean the TV consumes a level of power close to its maximum rating of 275W. If some one has a power meter I'd be really interested to see how many watts this TVs draws both with and without the Ambilight.

Since high backlight=>more power, therefore more power=>more heat=>more component degradation=>shorter TV lifespan! I know I’m being a bit pedantic here but this does make some sense. Either way I’m sure the lifespan will be 60,000 hrs or what ever the spec says but my point is that it could be marginally longer if they allowed the backlight to be manually set to a lower value, plus less power would be used and the black levels may be better. Obviously, setting the backlight low would not be a good idea if the PQ is adversely affected.

Having said all that, I think the non-adjustable backlight is a feature I'm prepared to live with. Perhaps Philips will release a firmware update for this but I'd say that is unlikely as I have read nothing about it in the overseas forums. I currently have the 47PFL9632D on hold at a Myer store in Adelaide and should be picking it up on the 18th. From what I observed at a store recently, I thought the SD picture of the cricket and tennis looked good. The TV seemed to handle fast motion very well and I could not observe TBE, which the Samsung F8 is said to intermittently suffer from. Admittedly, up close I could see a fair bit of pixelation and noise but this was evident on all other TVs displaying a SD broadcast and it became negligible when viewing from the normal distance of about 2.5-3 meters. I would have liked to see some full HD content but a source was not available.

THe model number in this is 47PFL9732D whereas ours is 47PFL9632D. Any difference between the 2?? ALso have noticed on some references to model numbers there is a 97 after the D where others have 47 or 10 after the D. can anyone put any light on this??

THe model number in this is 47PFL9732D whereas ours is 47PFL9632D. Any difference between the 2?? ALso have noticed on some references to model numbers there is a 97 after the D where others have 47 or 10 after the D. can anyone put any light on this??

I think they are essentially the same. The 47PFL9732D comes with an Ambilight that surrounds the entire frame as shown on the UK website here http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/gb/consumer/...

The 10 or 47 postfix could just be a number to identify which country it is from. Australia seems to have 47PFL9632D/47 where as the UK has 47PFL9732D/10.

Edited by lanek

I think they are essentially the same. The 47PFL9732D comes with an Ambilight that surrounds the entire frame as shown on the UK website here http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/gb/consumer/...

The 10 or 47 postfix could just be a number to identify which country it is from. Australia seems to have 47PFL9632D/47 where as the UK has 47PFL9732D/10.

/79 is australia ;) you only ever find /79 in oz or nz.

/79 is australia ;) you only ever find /79 in oz or nz.

Yeah, sorry that is correct :). I rushed that post earlier and didn't check the Australian model.

While I'm here, could some one please forward a receipt to gordk (at) adam.com.au? I have managed to negotiate a price of $3350 + $38 delivery at a Myer store north of Adelaide which I am quite happy with but I may ask if they can go a little lower or at least ask them to do free delivery. Thanks.

Edited by lanek

G'day Lads,

Any chance of someone mailing me a copy of the BJ Myer receipt?

brad_bateman -at- lycos.com

Thanks in advance,

Brad.

PS. Best price I have gotten in Perth so far is from API Leisure and Lifestyle (www.leisuretown.com.au) which is a company that provide some benefits to employees of my company. They basically look around and source the best price they can find. Apparently they use HN Commercial at least some of the time.

BJ's receipt sent to dusty, rowd and jingsu.

BJ, your receipt is famous here at Myer, Melbourne :excl:

Thanks Butcher ( and BJ ) for forwarding a copy of the Myer invoice.

Can I verify that this invoice is from the Melbourne city store please, and that the sales persons name was Kris?

Reason I ask is because I have just returned from the Bondi Myer where they were happy to match $3300 inc delivery, but when it came to the free HDMI cable they wanted to check with Melbourne.

They claimed that when they called Melb store there was nobody named Kris with a member number 58179 (as shown on the invoice)

Cheers

Rowd

Hi

Thanks

Gunther

Gunther, im from Perth as well n lookin into this TV, well awaiting a copy of receipt from butcher b4 i head down to maybe HN or Retra. Anyone know if the Free 32" offer is nationwide and is only available till end of mth?

Thanks Butcher ( and BJ ) for forwarding a copy of the Myer invoice.

Can I verify that this invoice is from the Melbourne city store please, and that the sales persons name was Kris?

Reason I ask is because I have just returned from the Bondi Myer where they were happy to match $3300 inc delivery, but when it came to the free HDMI cable they wanted to check with Melbourne.

They claimed that when they called Melb store there was nobody named Kris with a member number 58179 (as shown on the invoice)

Cheers

Rowd

I think this was from QLD store. I bought one from Melbourne, but they wouldn't throw in the cable.

Ordered 47pfl9632d/69 on Sunday from HN Auburn for $3350 without haggling. Delivery ex-stock but I requested a delay till today, delivered by 8:30 installed by 11:00 by myself. Not that easy, the set is quite awkward to handle on my own.

Seems OK so far but I am still fiddling with settings. PQ not quite on par to my old Toshiba 36SW9UA CRT with Foxtel or other poor quality sources. But the size makes up for my wife's failing eyesight and now she does not have to bring her chair closer to the set.

hornblower

PS The tosh is available if anyone wants to make an offer

with any luck i will be picking up my tv tomorrow night and am sure i will be playing with settings left right and centre to get things spot on...will let u know how i go and wouldnt mind hearing other peoples setup also ;)

Anyone here got a copy of Docbj's receipt who can fwd on? Im shopping for my TV this Sat.

Would also like to know if the free 32" offer is on nationwide and when the offer ends.

Cheers all.

Edited by mafia

stock is getting very hard to find for this TV.

Has anyone ordered one of these Phiplips 47in from a Sydney Myer store this week? If so, have they got stock?

Anyone here got a copy of Docbj's receipt who can fwd on? Im shopping for my TV this Sat.

Would also like to know if the free 32" offer is on nationwide and when the offer ends.

Cheers all.

Nationwide, all trade retailers stocking Philips 47". Promotional Period ends on the 31/01/2008, although claim period ends 15/02/2008. Philips will honor any redemption sent by the 15th, BUT PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU COMPLETE ALL THE REQUIREMENTS that are asked on the redemption form.

Any incomplete redemptions, sent by the 15th incomplete will most probably not be honored...

Edited by mdv

Nationwide, all trade retailers stocking Philips 47". Promotional Period ends on the 31/01/2008, although claim period ends 15/02/2008. Philips will honor any redemption sent by the 15th, BUT PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU COMPLETE ALL THE REQUIREMENTS that are asked on the redemption form.

Any incomplete redemptions, sent by the 15th incomplete will most probably not be honored...

Thx. So no one's got a copy of Docjb's receipt they can fwd onto : kevskii@hotmail.com

Im going shopping in the morning

It seems you guys in QLD are getting the best deals. I have gone to a couple of HNs and GG and none would go near $3300. I have also gone to a few of the Myer stores in VIC and the most of them can only do $3400 but without the free cable. All these guys say they won't go below cost. I finally got one to do it for $3300 without free cable which I have bought. Its a backorder but I should get it by the end of next week. Happy with that. Now just really looking forard to getting the TV. Thanks again for the invoice BJ.

Hi robbyw,

Well done on your price, I too have been shopping around in melb and it seems more expensive than other states. If you have a or any of the receipts quoted on the forum would you please forward a copy to stephen_gist@bigpond.com.

Thanks in advance.

Sent copy of bj's receipt to gunther, BradBateman and mafia.

Would you please be able to email the invoice to me at layman@iinet.net.au

Thank you very much