• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys

BJ sent me a PDF document from Philips that shows that LCD TV purchased after Oct 1 2007 are covered by 3 years warranty so I have printed it out to keep with the TV for warranty purposes. FYI, I bought the TV from Myer Garden City in Perth at $3100. They did not even have the TV on the floor for display. I called asking for a price quoting BJ best price of $3300 and the sales rep were happy to do it for me at $3100. At the time, the sales rep was adamant the TV only comes with 1 year warranty though as he claimed he had contacted Philips only a week ago and was advised by Philips that it only comes with 1 year warranty. But the document from BJ suggests otherwise.

He said they cannot budge on the pricing for the extended warranty though, so at the time I bought the 3 years warranty cover based on the premise that the TV only comes with 1 year warranty. Apparently the extended warranty can only be purchased at point of sale? 3 years cover is $315 but the best he can do it $289. He confirmed that the extended warranty can be cancelled within 30 days so I guess I will have to make another trip to Myer to cancel it. I might give Philips another call tomorrow to confirm before doing so. They have 2 in stock in their Perth Kewdale warehouse so there should be 1 left for anyone that is interested.

All up, the sales rep put through two separate transactions. He does it in a funny way though. He said he has to charge the full $315 for the 3 years product cover. So on the first transaction, he charged me $3074 ($3100+$289-$315), and the full $315 on the 2nd transaction for the 3 years product cover. I paid for the whole lot using AMEX and my wife's Myer One card too. I forgot to mention that I got him to throw in a $89.95 HDMI cable too for free and delivery is also included in the price.

Only "problem" I have now is I really would have liked to extend the warranty by an additional two years so that the TV has 5 years of warranty cover. Their price for a 5 years (3+2) warranty cover is a crazy $449 and he is quite adamant he can't move much on the warranty pricing. I don't think this is worthwhile, what do you guys think?

Do you guys think if it is possible to go to another retailer such as HN, GG or JB, and tell them I just want to buy 2 years extended warranty for a LCD TV I just bought elsewhere? Appreciate your feedback, cheers.

Edited by sschen
Hi robbyw,

Well done on your price, I too have been shopping around in melb and it seems more expensive than other states. If you have a or any of the receipts quoted on the forum would you please forward a copy to stephen_gist@bigpond.com.

Thanks in advance.

Melb HN Knox have given a price of $3550 but would be very interested in a copy of a Vic receipt for $3300 to get this better deal as he wouldn't come any lower. Could someone please email to yekop@hotail.com

Thanks to everyone on this forum and especially Soraya for all their feedback on price. With the help of Soraya's invoice i managed to get an identical deal of $3,300 for the tv $150 for 4 years additional warranty.

I first tried all the shops in Wollongong (NSW) area but no one could even get close to Soraya's price even after showing them the receipt and they said to go to HN Auburn. On my way to HN i decided to stop in at Domayne Auburn. Spoke with the manager there Rachel. After calling around HN to confirm the price they agreed to match the price on Soraya's receipt. I was happy to take it considering the best i was getting in Wollongong was $4,000 with 4 years extra warranty.

I would be happy to pass on my invoice if anyone wants it. Also, have no probs recommending Rachel at Domayne who was very friendly, knew her stuff and great to deal with.

Edit: Mistyped the tv price

Edited by mikdude

Guys

BJ sent me a PDF document from Philips that shows that LCD TV purchased after Oct 1 2007 are covered by 3 years warranty so I have printed it out to keep with the TV for warranty purposes. FYI, I bought the TV from Myer Garden City in Perth at $3100. They did not even have the TV on the floor for display. I called asking for a price quoting BJ best price of $3300 and the sales rep were happy to do it for me at $3100. At the time, the sales rep was adamant the TV only comes with 1 year warranty though as he claimed he had contacted Philips only a week ago and was advised by Philips that it only comes with 1 year warranty. But the document from BJ suggests otherwise.

He said they cannot budge on the pricing for the extended warranty though, so at the time I bought the 3 years warranty cover based on the premise that the TV only comes with 1 year warranty. Apparently the extended warranty can only be purchased at point of sale? 3 years cover is $315 but the best he can do it $289. He confirmed that the extended warranty can be cancelled within 30 days so I guess I will have to make another trip to Myer to cancel it. I might give Philips another call tomorrow to confirm before doing so. They have 2 in stock in their Perth Kewdale warehouse so there should be 1 left for anyone that is interested.

All up, the sales rep put through two separate transactions. He does it in a funny way though. He said he has to charge the full $315 for the 3 years product cover. So on the first transaction, he charged me $3074 ($3100+$289-$315), and the full $315 on the 2nd transaction for the 3 years product cover. I paid for the whole lot using AMEX and my wife's Myer One card too. I forgot to mention that I got him to throw in a $89.95 HDMI cable too for free and delivery is also included in the price.

Only "problem" I have now is I really would have liked to extend the warranty by an additional two years so that the TV has 5 years of warranty cover. Their price for a 5 years (3+2) warranty cover is a crazy $449 and he is quite adamant he can't move much on the warranty pricing. I don't think this is worthwhile, what do you guys think?

Do you guys think if it is possible to go to another retailer such as HN, GG or JB, and tell them I just want to buy 2 years extended warranty for a LCD TV I just bought elsewhere? Appreciate your feedback, cheers.

Keep the warranty you have. This should extend the total warranty cover for your tv to 6 years (3 years from philips and 3 from Myer). I don't think other retailers would be willing to sell warranty on a product they didn't sell you.

Hi all!

If someone could forward a copy of the now infamous invoice (or any other invoice) that would be greatly appreciated.

My email address is: aallegos@yahoo.com.au

Thanks in advance,

Alex

...to be clear I was asking for an invoice for the Philips 47pfl9632d 47" (as opposed to a random invoice...) :)

Cheers

Alex

Guys

Hey sschen:

Any chance I can get a copy of your invoice??? Just want to try something with Myer.

Thanks

bj

Thanks to everyone on this forum and especially Soraya for all their feedback on price. With the help of Soraya's invoice i managed to get an identical deal of $3,00 for the tv $150 for 4 years additional warranty.

I first tried all the shops in Wollongong (NSW) area but no one could even get close to Soraya's price even after showing them the receipt and they said to go to HN Auburn. On my way to HN i decided to stop in at Domayne Auburn. Spoke with the manager there Rachel. After calling around HN to confirm the price they agreed to match the price on Soraya's receipt. I was happy to take it considering the best i was getting in Wollongong was $4,000 with 4 years extra warranty.

I would be happy to pass on my invoice if anyone wants it. Also, have no probs recommending Rachel at Domayne who was very friendly, knew her stuff and great to deal with.

Hi Mikdude,

yes please! I would like a copy of your invoice. I have deposited on the TV, but the store doesn't have stock, so may have to go elsewhere. My local HN won't go anywhere near the price you paid. My email is yaberen@yahoo.com.au thank you in advance.

... I asked previously in the post but has anyone got any advice re changing default settings and "calibration" - whatever that means...
with any luck i will be picking up my tv tomorrow night and am sure i will be playing with settings left right and centre to get things spot on...will let u know how i go and wouldnt mind hearing other peoples setup also ;)

I haven't got my TV yet so I can't suggest any settings but here are a few threads I've found from overseas forums that provide settings and discuss issues that have been discovered:

The settings thread from AvForums includes several calibrations including the following:

Contrast 75 - 86 depending on ambient light (there are steps in backlight levels at 86 and 69)

Brightness 60 - This increases shadow detail with my lower contrast levels

Colour 50

Dynamic contrast - Max (this is the only way to achieve the minimum backlight setting. I prefer to have this and put up with the other effects it causes).

Pixel Perfect HD -OFF (gives a horrible texturing effect that the set can't keep up with when any movement occurs on SD)

Dynamic motion 100hz thing - Minimum

100Mhz Clear LCD - ON, but I really can't tell any difference on or off, anyone know what to look for?

Active control - ON (this massively reduces the halo effect around edges when using the 100Hz)

Sharpness - 0-10 doesn't make any difference for me when Pixel Perfect is off. Do other people agree?

Tint whitepoint - red 100 blue 100 green 85 blackpoint - red 6 green 5

Colour enhancement - MAX - this seems to reduce the green push that I dislike

Light sensor - OFF

MPEG thing - ON

Noise reduction - min (not max)

Below is a list of issues compiled by a member of AVForums recently here to summarise the discussions of the 94 page Philips 37/42/47pfl9632/9732 thread. From what I have read so far of this thread, I believe Philips have already released a number of firmware updates in the UK that have fixed various other issues that may not be listed here, so there is a good chance that we will encounter those too unless we have the very latest firmware.

Most of the issues seem quite minor so I am not overly worried. As some people may know, the 47PFL9732D won the European Imaging and Sound Association (EISA) award (shown here) for best video panel of 2007, so surely it couldn't have too many significant deficiencies. ;)

Known problems/faults with the 9632/9732/9900 range with .014 firmware
----------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Picture Lag is present of about 120-150ms (game input and lipsync).

- There is no way to shorten this dealy even by removing all
    picture enhancing features.
  - Less than expected gaming experiance.
  - If you follow Philips guide lines for removing lipsink
    (feeding audio in and out of the LCD) you'll loose DTS/5.1
    due to HDCP protection rules (downgraded) unless you
    use HDMI 3 (see point 8).

2) DNM (digitial natural motion / 100hz) does not work if you have the
  LCD's source input set to 'PC'.

- Even though the options are available in the menues (not greyed out)
    the enhancement is missing in the displayed picture.
  - Removing 'PC' input results in poor 1080p quality for PC connections
    (picture flicker on mouse pointer movements) but DNM will work.

3) Playstation 3 GUI glitching, noticeable in PS3 store when in 1080p.

- A solution is to set the input as 'PC', however doing this disables
    DNM which is not acceptable when waching Bluray (see point 2).

4) Sources using EXT1 / EXT2 RGB suffer poor picture quality (blured).
  Sudden drops in contrast also happen even when all picture processing
  features are off.

- Greens edges appears on screen (esp between grey graidents).
  - Contrast drops happen frequently when using a Wii console.

5) Even though the LCD is suppost to be 14bit color processing it seems
  to suffer from bad color banding.

- Displying a Color gradient charts shows the problem perfectly.

6) Problems with the EPG if a card is present in the common port with no
  active subscriptions in progress.

- The EGP can lock up (but you can still exit).
  - Exiting the EPG can cause an unsupported format message for a few seconds.
  - Problem can be solved by removing the CI adapter.

7) If you have three HDMI sockets plugged in at the same time some can
  stop working. You have to unplug one for the others to work again.

- This is solved by an upgraded SSB board inside the LCD, it can be
    determined if you have the new SSB by your serial number, if it has
    an 'A' its the old board, a 'E' is the new board.

8) HDMI 1 and 2 cannot pass DTS/5.1 audio to the LCD's digital output,
  instead it is downsampled to stereo.
  - HDMI 3 seems to allow this (apart from on HDCP protected content)
    but it can be tricky to get working and its possible it does not
    work on all SSB types.

9) According the the specs the new SSB does not support 14 bit picture
  processing although philips clearly advertise this screen does.

- Old board model number is PNX8537.
  - New board model number is PNX8541.
  - [url="http://www.nxp.com/#/aip/aip="]http://www.nxp.com/#/aip/aip=[/url][aip=200435]|pp=[v=d,t=aip,i=200435,fi=,ps=0]|[0][0]

Keep the warranty you have. This should extend the total warranty cover for your tv to 6 years (3 years from philips and 3 from Myer). I don't think other retailers would be willing to sell warranty on a product they didn't sell you.

Mike

The Myer warranty I bought actually is their "3 Years Product Cover". This means that the warranty is effective for 3 years from the date of purchase. Since this TV already comes with 3 year manufacturer's warranty, the warranty cover I bought is useless anyway. If it was 3 years extension on the manufacturer's warranty for $289, I would not have mind too much. But from memory, Myer's "5 years product cover" is either $449 or $489, I can't remember. Perhaps someone who has bought the Myer "Product Cover" can verify if what I have written is correct or not?

Edited by sschen
...to be clear I was asking for an invoice for the Philips 47pfl9632d 47" (as opposed to a random invoice...) :)

Cheers

Alex

Alex

Emailed you a copy of my receipt. Good luck with it.

I haven't got my TV yet so I can't suggest any settings but here are a few threads I've found from overseas forums that provide settings and discuss issues that have been discovered:

The settings thread from AvForums includes several calibrations including the following:

Below is a list of issues compiled by a member of AVForums recently here to summarise the discussions of the 94 page Philips 37/42/47pfl9632/9732 thread. From what I have read so far of this thread, I believe Philips have already released a number of firmware updates in the UK that have fixed various other issues that may not be listed here, so there is a good chance that we will encounter those too unless we have the very latest firmware.

Most of the issues seem quite minor so I am not overly worried. As some people may know, the 47PFL9732D won the European Imaging and Sound Association (EISA) award (shown here) for best video panel of 2007, so surely it couldn't have too many significant deficiencies. ;)

lanek

Thanks very much for this. I have bookmarked the posted URLs and will go through the "official" thread in the coming days. Cheers.

Edited by sschen
Mike

The Myer warranty I bought actually is their "3 Years Product Cover". This means that the warranty is effective for 3 years from the date of purchase. Since this TV already comes with 3 year manufacturer's warranty, the warranty cover I bought is useless anyway. If it was 3 years extension on the manufacturer's warranty for $289, I would not have mind too much. But from memory, Myer's "5 years product cover" is either $449 or $489, I can't remember. Perhaps someone who has bought the Myer "Product Cover" can verify if what I have written is correct or not?

A Myer's salesperson told me their product warranty for 4th and 5th year is more expensive than if it was for 2nd and 3rd year. The $400++ price for the extra 2 years to bring it to 5 years is correct . With Myers warranty it appears its not the number of years you are paying but how old is the product when the extra warranty kicks in.

For those who pay $300 for a HN extended 4 year warranty plan to bring it to 7 years, sounds good value but consider the fine print. HN extended warranty you pay for the number of years but also noted it has says eg. "48 months BTB" (which I think means "back to base"). Under their clause for freight, they only cover freight cost for items under 5 kgs and if you live within 20kms from a service centre. So it doesn't look like its home service after manufacturer's warranty and if one is buying a big screen TV might need to ensure its fits into a car otherwise might end up with a hefty freight cost by courier. I guess without the box a 47" will still fit into the backseat of a family car. Those with HN extended warranty might want to confirm if the above is correct.

Cheers

Alex

Hello Gents,

It would be muchly appreciated if you could do the same and forward the invoice to my email as per below:

markzoghbi@amnet.net.au

Regards & Thanks

Yours Sincerely

Mark Zoghbi

Hello Gents,

It would be muchly appreciated if you could do the same and forward the invoice to my email as per below:

markzoghbi@amnet.net.au

Regards & Thanks

Yours Sincerely

Mark Zoghbi

Can I have a copy of it sent to mintox_80@yahoo.com.au as well.

Many thanks

John from Myer Melbourne gave me the same deal too. So far he is the only one in Melbourne who is willing to give this deal. So if any one in Melbourne wants a good deal, John is the man.

Hi There,

Can you please forward a copy of your Melb receipt to: yekop@hotmail.com

Thanks heaps,

Rob

Guys

Hi sschen,

I'm looking to buy in Perth today or tomorrow. If you could forward me a copy of your invoice, it would be very much appreciated. Then I'll go for a drive down to Garden City. brad_bateman -at- lycos.com

Thank you VERY much.

Brad.

Hi sschen,

I'm looking to buy in Perth today or tomorrow. If you could forward me a copy of your invoice, it would be very much appreciated. Then I'll go for a drive down to Garden City. brad_bateman -at- lycos.com

Thank you VERY much.

Brad.

Brad

Just thought I will let you know that Myer Garden City does not have this screen on display. I am not sure where about you live, but the Philips 42", 47" & 52" were setup side by side very nicely at Good Guys Cannington, so this is where I will go if you want to see the screens.

Ask for Jonathan when you are at Myer Garden City, tell him you want the same deal he gave Stephen on saturday. He said he was doing $3300/TV for someone previously wanting to buy three so considering I only bought one, I think he gave me a very good deal? When I went and see him, I did say I am a friend of a DTV forum member that previously bought a 50" Samsung P91 plasma a couple of months ago from him so perhaps that helps. I did say I will be refering more sales to him. I did not even have to produce BJ receipt, I just said my best deal was $3300. To be honest, I am quite surprised he was able to shave $200 off.

In any case, I will forward you a copy of my receipt. There is only one left in the Perth warehouse as of late saturday afternoon, the next shipment is due 18/01. Good luck and do let us know how you go.

Brad

Just thought I will let you know that Myer Garden City does not have this screen on display. I am not sure where about you live, but the Philips 42", 47" & 52" were setup side by side very nicely at Good Guys Cannington, so this is where I will go if you want to see the screens.

Ask for Jonathan when you are at Myer Garden City, tell him you want the same deal he gave Stephen on saturday. He said he was doing $3300/TV for someone previously wanting to buy three so considering I only bought one, I think he gave me a very good deal? When I went and see him, I did say I am a friend of a DTV forum member that previously bought a 50" Samsung P91 plasma a couple of months ago from him so perhaps that helps. I did say I will be refering more sales to him. I did not even have to produce BJ receipt, I just said my best deal was $3300. To be honest, I am quite surprised he was able to shave $200 off.

In any case, I will forward you a copy of my receipt. There is only one left in the Perth warehouse as of late saturday afternoon, the next shipment is due 18/01. Good luck and do let us know how you go.

Hey Sschen,

I also live in Perth. Can you flick me a copy of the receipt to mintox_80@yahoo.com.au?

Thanks mate :rolleyes:

Hey Sschen,

I also live in Perth. Can you flick me a copy of the receipt to mintox_80@yahoo.com.au?

Thanks mate :rolleyes:

Mintox

Emailed a copy of my receipt. Feel free to forward on to other forum members that request it. Cheers.

lanek, Thanks very much for this. I have bookmarked the posted URLs and will go through the "official" thread in the coming days. Cheers.

No worries, glad some one else found the links useful. By the way, that's a great price you got in Perth...The best I've managed here in Adelaide is $3350 from Myer, not including delivery. It should be arriving after the 18th. If some one has done better in Adelaide, please let me know.

Mintox

Emailed a copy of my receipt. Feel free to forward on to other forum members that request it. Cheers.

Stephen,

That is a fantastic price. Don't think anyone can beat this. Have you decided what you are doing with the extended warranty. Even if you pay $400 or so with Myers, you are still in front.

John from Myer Melbourne gave me the same deal too. So far he is the only one in Melbourne who is willing to give this deal. So if any one in Melbourne wants a good deal, John is the man.

Hi Robbyw,

I would be most grateful if you could email a copy of the invoice to me at:

robertljoseph@gmail.com

Many thanks, RJ

Hi there, I'd appreciate a copy of your receipt too. travis_c (at) optusnet.com.au.

The Phillips sounds like a good deal - I was looking at the Sony earlier but I already have a PS3.

Brasil, forwarded you a copy of my receipt. Good luck with it. Cheers.

Stephen,

That is a fantastic price. Don't think anyone can beat this. Have you decided what you are doing with the extended warranty. Even if you pay $400 or so with Myers, you are still in front.

robbyw

Not sure what I will be doing with the extended warranty yet to be honest but I will most likely go back to get a refund. I don't think the sales rep is willing to move on the extended warranty so it won't be $400, more like either $449 or $489. I told myself $300 is the most I am willing to spend on the additional 2 years warranty. To be honest, my experience tells me if a TV is going to fail, it is most likely in the first 3 years. I have never had a TV failed after 3 years, that is why I thought paying more than $400 is a bit stiff. That said, I am not a TV repair technician, they are probably best qualified to know about this kind of thing.

I don't quite understand the logic, I know someone has already explained that you are paying for the age of the product with the Myer extended warranty but.... Haha. :)

Edited by sschen

Just received delivery of one of these set. Setting up was a breeze.

The stand is half the weight. It consists of a thick glass base with a solid metal stand.

Not the plastic looking type with piano finish on some brands. The stand can swviel around the base.

It also comes with an aluminium wall mount if ever you need it.

On my old set-top box, sometimes I have problems with reception to my old CRT, with weak signal.

But I must say this new Philips LCD impress me. I had done nothing to my aerial but the signal is strong.

The PQ is excellent even on default settings.

I guess when you only have one TV to look at, unlike in the shops where there are so many to compare, this LCD looks best.

Been watching the Australian Open, with the bigger screen, you feel you are almost there!

Those who are waiting for your set and those thinking to buy one, you won't be disappointed. Go for it!.

....and there's more, the happy story doesn't end here....a bonus 32" LCD on its way!

Just received delivery of one of these set. Setting up was a breeze.

The stand is half the weight. It consists of a thick glass base with a solid metal stand.

Not the plastic looking type with piano finish on some brands. The stand can swviel around the base.

It also comes with an aluminium wall mount if ever you need it.

On my old set-top box, sometimes I have problems with reception to my old CRT, with weak signal.

But I must say this new Philips LCD impress me. I had done nothing to my aerial but the signal is strong.

The PQ is excellent even on default settings.

I guess when you only have one TV to look at, unlike in the shops where there are so many to compare, this LCD looks best.

Been watching the Australian Open, with the bigger screen, you feel you are almost there!

Those who are waiting for your set and those thinking to buy one, you won't be disappointed. Go for it!.

....and there's more, the happy story doesn't end here....a bonus 32" LCD on its way!

robbie

good to know you are happy with it. I received mine this morning at 07:30am as well. My gosh, the box is huge. I agreed with what robbie said, it does not look all that big in the showroom but I can imagine how big it will look in the HT room already. As for the barcode, is this refering to the white sticker that is stuck at the corner of the carton?

I am getting my brother-in-law to drop by later to help move the TV. Can't wait!!

robbie

good to know you are happy with it. I received mine this morning at 07:30am as well. My gosh, the box is huge. I agreed with what robbie said, it does not look all that big in the showroom but I can imagine how big it will look in the HT room already. As for the barcode, is this refering to the white sticker that is stuck at the corner of the carton?

I am getting my brother-in-law to drop by later to help move the TV. Can't wait!!

Yes, believe it is, at the bottom corner.

There are two barcodes with the same serial number corner of each other.

Not sure if they need both or only either one of it.

Incline to send only one, in case if the mail goes missing there is another to standby.

Anyone who had redeem theirs, please throw some advice.

Thanks.

Re the barcodes:

I redeemed mine (the 32" arrived yesterday and I only posted the paperwork on 2 Jan 08!) and I only sent one of the barcodes in and kept the other one, just in case.

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

Does the 32" TV come with a wall bracket like the 47"? Does it has a 3 year warranty too?

Thanks.

Re the barcodes:

I redeemed mine (the 32" arrived yesterday and I only posted the paperwork on 2 Jan 08!) and I only sent one of the barcodes in and kept the other one, just in case.

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

Does the 32" TV come with a wall bracket like the 47"? Does it has a 3 year warranty too?

Thanks.

Brad

Stephen,

You are a gentleman and a scholar (there's not many of us left!). Took your receipt into Garden City this arvo and got the price matched. Didn't worry about extended warranty. I figure that if anything is going to go wrong, hopefully it will be within the factory 3 year warranty. Will put the extra cash toward a PS3... However, they did say that they are now out of stock :( and that more will be arriving on Jan 27. But I don't really mind as I will be out of town anyhow. And you can do the redemption until Feb 15...

Thanks again.

Brad.

Hi there,

Thank you to all those that contribute to this forum. Once I had informed myself about the best prices I was able to negotiate the Philips 47PFL9632d for $3300 + $150 for additional 4 years warranty from HN Auburn, including delivery. Not bad at all!

I'm happy to email my receipt to anyone that needs it.

Would be great to get some tips on the settings, etc if anyone has them.

Thanks again.

Sara

Hi Soraya,

i was hoping if you could please send me a copy of your receipt. or someone else please forward it to me. Thanks in advance.

I'm in the process of getting a refund from Samsung for my 46" M8, hopefully i get the money in a weeks time. I've been reading dozens and dozens of reviews on the Sony X/XBR, Samsung F8 and stubbled on the Philips LCD, after reading everyone's review from this thread i've converted to being a Philips fan as well. at first i didn't think id like the Ambilight feature, but after reading the reviews its seems as thought its not just another gimmick . Also wanted to check if this TV is/has the 100Hz feature as well?

Thanks for all you feed back on this TV guys, im sure Philips would be proud of you all! so long to Samsung and Sony! - all i ever read about their panels are problems that take forever for the company to acknowledge

Please send the receipt copy to chris.montealegre@gmail.com

Cheers :ph34r:

analLIATOR