• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Crazynuts,

You mentioned they offered store credit. What I might do is wait for the next gen Samsung 7, 8 an d9's to come out and then reconsider. I love my ambilight too much.

Just don't wait too long. They were already trying to sting me as I've only complained now, 5-6 months after purchase. I just stuck to my guns and said I only recently purchased a PS3 and noticed the flaw (which I did, but knew about the problem beforehand).

I had the VIC repairman out on Wednesday around noon. Said either he'd be in contact within two days. Called their office today around 2pm, said she'd they'd get back to me today... Was busy and before I knew it, it was 5:10pm...and of course, they have finished for the week.

Looks like I'm unfortunately in the bucket where this may be long winded...not like Crazy's 2 day experience...

I'm just a little concerned as it sounds like the 9703's are flying out the window...

noisuf

Don't wait for them to call you, keep calling THEM!

On Monday, hassle them out a bit. Say you would appreciate an update ESPECIALLY if they say they will call you back in a few minutes and you haven't heard from them for a few hours.

You got to keep the pressure on them a bit.

So I'm thinking of getting a 47" 9703 from the local HN, but just needed to check on a few things with the philps guru here.

Does the 9703 exhibit any of the flickering problems mentioned earlier In the thread? I'll be using a PS3 as my main disc player thru a denon 3808 which seems to have problems with the previous model? Following on from this, can the 9703 display a native 24fps picture? I'm comparing the philips to the pana 46" 800z that does 24fps.

Also, what sort of price should I be aiming for? Current quote from HN is $3090. If anyone has a receipt that might be useful to me, please send me a pm.

Cheers,

Dylan

So I'm thinking of getting a 47" 9703 from the local HN, but just needed to check on a few things with the philps guru here.

Does the 9703 exhibit any of the flickering problems mentioned earlier In the thread? I'll be using a PS3 as my main disc player thru a denon 3808 which seems to have problems with the previous model? Following on from this, can the 9703 display a native 24fps picture? I'm comparing the philips to the pana 46" 800z that does 24fps.

Also, what sort of price should I be aiming for? Current quote from HN is $3090. If anyone has a receipt that might be useful to me, please send me a pm.

Cheers,

Dylan

The 9703 is the ONLY LCD (out of all that i tested) that has absolutely NO flickersing issues. It was as smooth as a dedicated computer LCD monitor in terms of performance and colour reproduction.

I tested LG, Sony, Samsung and few other brands. EVERY SINGLE ONE of them had the flickering issue (like the 9632) but not to the same extent. The LG Scarlet was the one that came closest to the Philips 9703 in colour and performance.

Yes, the Philips also has native 24fps support.

Price, considering the popularity of this screen and lack of availability, I think if you got it for anything below $3000 you would be lucky.

I am a bit of SHOCK & ANGRY to find out that this TV is ONLY 1080i. :angry:

Have anyone contact Philips Australia about this issue?

The Philips 47PFL9632D is 100% 1080p (1920x1080) progressive so I don't know who told you this.

It is incorrect.

The Philips 47PFL9632D is 100% 1080p (1920x1080) progressive so I don't know who told you this.

It is incorrect.

I was under the same impression till I did more reasearch.

The TV actually does the following; 1080P-->1080i-->Enhancment-->1080P

There is LOTS of information and evidence supporting this theory. Read a few pages back to a link for info supporting this.

EDIT: Connect your PC to your TV and have a look at all the interlacing you get when moving your mouse or window.

EDIT2: Have a look at these links

http://www.youtube.com/user/ralphfx

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613872

Edited by CrazyNuts
I was under the same impression till I did more reasearch.

The TV actually does the following; 1080P-->1080i-->Enhancment-->1080P

There is LOTS of information and evidence supporting this theory. Read a few pages back to a link for info supporting this.

Does that also apply to the 9703??

Well picked one up today. 47PFL9703D for $3050 including delivery from my local HN in Alice Springs. They have about 3 more in stock if anyone is really hard up finding one...

Stunning panel. Replacing a Sony KVHR32. The only area it doesn't quite best the KVHR is black levels and contrast, but unless you're comparing side by side when you're watching Planet Earth on HD DVD in glorious 1920x1080p, you'd hardly notice...

Edited by Kirium
Well picked one up today. 47PFL9703D for $3050 including delivery from my local HN in Alice Springs. They have about 3 more in stock if anyone is really hard up finding one...

Stunning panel. Replacing a Sony KVHR32. The only area it doesn't quite best the KVHR is black levels and contrast, but unless you're comparing side by side when you're watching Planet Earth on HD DVD in glorious 1920x1080p, you'd hardly notice...

I have been looking for one in Newcastle to have a look at but no luck finding one

I have been looking for one in Newcastle to have a look at, but no luck finding one

25 hrs drive to Alice is a bit far :)

I have been looking for one in Newcastle to have a look at, but no luck finding one

25 hrs drive to Alice is a bit far :)

You could always go into your local HN and see if they can source a display from the Alice store... That's more what I was getting at.. ;)

I know David Jones have sourced stock from other stores for me before, but it can't hurt to go in and ask at your local store to see if they can do it.

You could always go into your local HN and see if they can source a display from the Alice store... That's more what I was getting at.. ;)

I know David Jones have sourced stock from other stores for me before, but it can't hurt to go in and ask at your local store to see if they can do it.

I figured that as well

But I might have found one at a not to far away

They have a 42" & 47" on dispaly and one 47" in a box

I Have been waiting on the GB pricing on the samsung's which I like the look of a bit better

My experience in getting Philips to recognise the flickering issues and lead to resolution has not been as quick as other experiences. Having contacted them nearly two weeks ago with the authorised repairman coming out the next day, I've had no movement since. Contacting the VIC and WA state tech managers have either lead to unreturned calls or emails. Myer, where I purchased the TV from, need Philips to come to the party.

If anyone has anything or advice to point me in the right direction, please PM me. Apart from contacting Philips continuously as suggested by others...I don't know what else to do.

I work 60 hours a week at work but have been trying in my free time. I'm going to bug Philips as much as I can today as I have a rare annual leave day.

Thanks for any help in advance!!!

Edited by noisuf
My experience in getting Philips to recognise the flickering issues and lead to resolution has not been as quick as other experiences. Having contacted them nearly two weeks ago with the authorised repairman coming out the next day, I've had no movement since. Contacting the VIC and WA state tech managers have either lead to unreturned calls or emails. Myer, where I purchased the TV from, need Philips to come to the party.

If anyone has anything or advice to point me in the right direction, please PM me. Apart from contacting Philips continuously as suggested by others...I don't know what else to do.

I work 60 hours a week at work but have been trying in my free time. I'm going to bug Philips as much as I can today as I have a rare annual leave day.

I have also started the process in QLD and the service centre guys spoke to me like I am the one who's stupid/at fault.... I will keep updating on how I go. I think if we could make a louder noise, it might be easier....

Hi Noisuf, I am like you with similar working hours or worse....

Just an update, had a word to one of the service engineers in QLD, told:

1. He has fixed many 9632s, and never came across the 1080p->1080i->1080p problem.

2. Asked whether the TV plays Blueray discs from a 1080p blueray player without problem? I replied that that I use a PC instead and experienced interlace/flicker depending on the mode the TV is set in. (To me it sounded like if the TV plays Blueray movie from a 1080p BR player, it must be fine...)

3. Then I mentioned the internet forum where I did more research --> was told not to believe the internet, and there probably is a fix/firmware upgrade that I DID NOT know about.... Duh...

4. He then said he would have to take my TV away for testing (did not even mention/ask to see what I was talking about......)

So I am now waiting for them to ring me for a pickup...

I think those who have not contacted Philips should definitely start now if you are concerned about the TV...

Edited by yumc

Hi Yumc,

It sounds like they're in even bigger denial up in QLD than VIC. Here's the order of Philips customer satisfaction so far (and also order of recognition of issue):

1) WA 2) SA 3) VIC 4) QLD. Haven't heard from other members' experiences in other states.

The VIC state tech manager did call me back finally yesterday late afternoon. He told me they were still carrying out tests and should have results late in the week. They're not conducting tests on my TV so I don't know what they're doing.

By the way, issues still occur when my PS3 is connected directly to the TV via HDMI...interlacing artifacts occur in the PS3 XMB console and also in Bluray movies.

Edited by noisuf

Got a call back from the VIC tech manager today after 2 1/2 weeks...and not providing the answers I wanted to hear.

Compared to another member experience where WA recognised the issue and turned around a new TV in 48 hours, this is what he had to say:

1) TV not faulty

2) When connecting PC, it needs to be in PC mode, even for HTPC

3) Flickering via test discs and blurays not deinterlacing artifacts

4) I quizzed him on marketing mentioned 'flicker free' tv and he says, "only if you watch test screens"

Running out of options............

Got a call back from the VIC tech manager today after 2 1/2 weeks...and not providing the answers I wanted to hear.

Compared to another member experience where WA recognised the issue and turned around a new TV in 48 hours, this is what he had to say:

1) TV not faulty

2) When connecting PC, it needs to be in PC mode, even for HTPC

3) Flickering via test discs and blurays not deinterlacing artifacts

4) I quizzed him on marketing mentioned 'flicker free' tv and he says, "only if you watch test screens"

Running out of options............

Hi Noisuf,

Sorry to hear that, I am still waiting for my TV to be picked up. With regards to the answer of the VIC tech manager:

1. yes, TV is not faulty but just not performing according to spec in my opinion

2. When connecting to PC/HTPC in 1080p in PC mode, you will see lots of deinterlacing artifacts -> in my situation, that's when the tearing/deinterlacing artifact are most noticed

3. he's probably right in stating the flickering via test disc and bluerays are not deinterlacing artifacts

4. I think he's just ignorant and trying to make you give up, who buys a TV home to watch just test screens?? might as well stick a nice poster on the TV screen, that will be flicker free without artifacts.....

On top of waiting for a service pickup (more than a week now....), I have also written an email to Philips stating the problems..... Not sure how far I will get but will keep you updated....