Philips 47pfl9632d 47"

Guest monkey_boyau

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi CrazyNuts

I purchased a Philips 42PFL9632D 42" LCD a few months ago and I purchased it on the belief that it was true 1080p picture. The main reason I chose LCD was also for gaming with the PS3 and Blu Ray movies and that the Philips with the low response time was better for sport than other LCD's.

Now after reading this forum and also the attached review of the 37" model in the UK and comments on the UK forum I am a bit concerned especially with the 1080p issue, the gaming issue, the flickering issue and the lag issue.

I will be contacting Philips tomorrow to raise my concerns.

How did you get into contact with the WA State Manager (I am also in Perth), was it from the support number or email etc?

Edited by WCEAGLES

Hi CrazyNuts

I purchased a Philips 42PFL9632D 42" LCD a few months ago and I purchased it on the belief that it was true 1080p picture. The main reason I chose LCD was also for gaming with the PS3 and Blu Ray movies and that the Philips with the low response time was better for sport than other LCD's.

Now after reading this forum and also the attached review of the 37" model in the UK and comments on the UK forum I am a bit concerned especially with the 1080p issue, the gaming issue, the flickering issue and the lag issue.

How did you get into contact with the WA State Manager (I am also in Perth), was it from the support number or email etc?

I got in contact with him through the support number. Just ring the number and ask to speak to the State Tech Manager.

I'd be interested to know what your experiences are.

Dunno how long ago you bought the TV. Is it possible you could take it back for a refund?

Hi CrazyNuts

I got in contact with him through the support number. Just ring the number and ask to speak to the State Tech Manager.

Dunno how long ago you bought the TV. Is it possible you could take it back for a refund?

Thanks

I have sent them an email to philips support explaining the known issues and asked them to forward to the State Manager in WA. I will see how that goes and if I don't hear anything back will give them a call. I purchase the TV 3 months ago.

Thanks yumc...looking forward to seeing how you go.

I haven't connected a PC (eventhough I told them I had) but I assumed in PC mode, it's all ok?

So it's worse in PC mode?

Hi Noisuf,

In my situation, I noticed the problems when I connect the TV to a PC using 1080p output. I don't know whether it's worse than what you have seen. Please see the youtube video http://www.youtube.com/user/ralphfx

for a demonstration.

By the way, got a call from a service centre today asking me about the problem again -> told them the issues and they said they would have to speak to Philips about that. The person actually said, so you are not using the set normally as a TV??..... So perhaps no service pickup for now. Also, called the customer care the other day, they actually mentioned the issues and asked whether I have been reading the forum only as I stated the model number..... So I am pretty sure Philips knows about the issues and it's a matter of how they handle it.....

All right guys, need your advice...I've had some resolution and big assistance from Myer.

I'm in a position where I can exchange for a TV up to my purchase price or pay difference if a TV I want if more expensive.

However, because I got the free 32" tv with the promotion, I'll need to return that too with my 47".

So, this is what is going through my mind...

1) I've lost a 32" tv which is my laptop monitor that I'll need to replace...more $$$...either replace with actual comp monitor or another 32" HDTV.

2) No more 9703s so will need to go with something like Samsung 9 series but who knows if they have the same interlacing issues?

3) 3 year warranty lost...will be 1 year instead

4) If I go with Samsung, I guess I'll be able to redeem the bluray player which could offset buying another 32".

5) To get to what I have now without these issues will cost more money...a) 32 inch or comp monitor; B) new tv will cost more than what I paid for my 47"

My head is full of questions at the moment but at least I have been provided with an option.

Cheers.

Just an update...no more 9703s at Myer...so no straight swap.

If I want to exchange with another TV, it will be based on their List price which is up to $1700 more than group buys or cheapest prices other members have bought.

So if I am needing to pay $1700 to get something that doesn't flicker...and lose my 32"...I'm starting to think that I should just live with the flickering.

Guys

Just keep pushing your point i ended up with cash refund from Myers after phillips confirmed a RA to them. I also sent them a written letter which i got reponse from, this was where they agreeded the 9632 series does have flicker. I then pointed out to them that the advertisment stated it was a flicker free set and this was false advertising blah blah blah.

it got organised after that

Erin

Guys

Just keep pushing your point i ended up with cash refund from Myers after phillips confirmed a RA to them. I also sent them a written letter which i got reponse from, this was where they agreeded the 9632 series does have flicker. I then pointed out to them that the advertisment stated it was a flicker free set and this was false advertising blah blah blah.

it got organised after that

Erin

Hi, good to know that it worked out for you. Did you have to contact Myers at all during discussion with Philips or only after a RA authorisation from Philips. Any chance of getting a copy of this letter where they agreed re flicker? What state are you in by the way...? I am still pending response from Philips at this moment.

Thanks.

All right guys, need your advice...I've had some resolution and big assistance from Myer.

I'm in a position where I can exchange for a TV up to my purchase price or pay difference if a TV I want if more expensive.

However, because I got the free 32" tv with the promotion, I'll need to return that too with my 47".

So, this is what is going through my mind...

1) I've lost a 32" tv which is my laptop monitor that I'll need to replace...more $$$...either replace with actual comp monitor or another 32" HDTV.

2) No more 9703s so will need to go with something like Samsung 9 series but who knows if they have the same interlacing issues?

3) 3 year warranty lost...will be 1 year instead

4) If I go with Samsung, I guess I'll be able to redeem the bluray player which could offset buying another 32".

5) To get to what I have now without these issues will cost more money...a) 32 inch or comp monitor; B) new tv will cost more than what I paid for my 47"

My head is full of questions at the moment but at least I have been provided with an option.

Cheers.

Did they specify 1 TV only? I suppose it all depends on how much you paid in the first place...

It's funny how we do go through cycles of emotions. I'm now quite dissatisfied with Philips and Myer.

Did a few tests this morning with my PS3.

PC mode -> no more flickering...but then experience tearing when things move on screen

Bluray mode -> tearing is minised but still there...but then flickers

I'm going to push for refund as Myer doesn't have any 9703s to swap and they want to rip me off by exchanging with other TVs at their listed prices.

I don't care about losing the 32" anymore...I'll get another one.

This false advertising is shocking...I worked hard for the money spent on the TV...

Good luck to all in the same position!!!

Edited by noisuf

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I am getting nowhere with Philips. Any1 has any luck?

Apparently what happens the Tv accepts a 1080p signal then downgrades to 1080i then upgrades it to 1080p but at 60Hz based on the processor it uses. It s this downgrading that causes the problems.

I notice that when I watch Planet Earth and some scenes in the Dark Knight for Blu Ray especially the first scene where the camera pans to the office buildings I see major flicking to the building on left hand side beside the black building and major motion blur for Planet Earth..does anyone have problems with theirs?

The problem with this issue is that no firmware is able to solve it due to hardware restrictions. The chips used in the 9632 are not capable of DIRECTLY outputting a 1080P signal, hence why it has to go through an "up-converting" process before it can output the picture. Even then, the picture is still 1080i even though the TV is showing it as a 1080P signal.

• 4 weeks later...

I applied the Firmware Upgrade - Software, Version: 000.064.014.020 to my 42pfl7682 an noticed no changes

(maybe some minor adjustments/changes of contrast/brightness, but I could be wrong )

Anyone else know what was/is changed --> changelog ins´t available

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi All,

Not sure if anyone is motitoring this forum still but I thought I would add in some info for you all. I am from the UK and currently trying to battle this case with Philips, I just thought I would share my findings so you can all quote the case against Philips there ... together we can win!

Here is the forum where all the discussion has taken place, its the 2nd thread to a 212(!) page one that was closed as it got too large. The main details are there.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-televis...d-part-2-a.html

My findings originally stem from this forum as it is the TV I own (same physical TV panel but with the Aurea surround)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-televis...ers-thread.html

Hope these are useful to someone!