Philips 47pfl9632d 47"

Guest monkey_boyau

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

havent checked back onto this page since i basically got my tv. A few months on how are people finding it??

One thing that pisses me off a little bit with it, is that when something like a person or car or whatever moves quick accross the screen, something in the imaging software tends to play with the image. Around the outline of the quick moving object it seems as though the background almost becomes compressed, kinda like a shockwave. Might be a little hard to get what im talking about unless you've encountered the same thing. But previously I thought it was the source material, TV or a crappy dvd player. But recently I got a blu ray player (PS3) and its still doing it, so cant be a source issue as this is sposed to be one of the best damn sources out there.

Anyone encountering the same problems? anyone fixed it? what to i have to turn off in the imaging settings to get rid of it?!

Crazy smurf, I've had this tv for about 2 months now and couldn't be happier with it. I've also noticed this 'shockwave' that you mention but it only seems to appear for a few seconds every now and again on fast moving objects. I haven't noticed it on dvd's, bluray or ps3 games though. Maybe try turning HD Natural Motion off.

Being in Perth (where all electronics cost an extra 10%) i got this TV from HN in Osborne Park for $2900. I was going to buy the Sony X 46" but decided on the Philips 47" instead.

I also got 4 years extended warranty (7 years in total) and a DVI-to-HDMI cable for a grand total of $3185.

They had it in stock so I took it there and then. Didn't need delivery as I have a 4WD so could throw the whole thing in the back.

My opinion. The Philips beats the Sony hands down in all areas.

Guest joedan
Has anybody seen or installed the latest version 000.064.014.018 on the philips web site?

Philips download page

Does anybody know what the fixes are from 064.014.017 to 064.014.018?

I wish Philips would document this on their website...

They have documented the changelog again, it's back in the end of the PDF page when you click on the firmware.

Hey guys..

Got my 47" this week and am pretty happy with it thus far.. agreed that the Philips beats the Sony 46Xs..

However, I was watching the French Open yesterday.. and noticed that I was seeing double of the tennis ball.. something like a ghosting issue?? Anyone encountering the same issue?

I tried turning the motion flow off etc.. but still same probs..

Would appreciate some feedback from fellow Philips users..

Cheers!

• 2 months later...

Hi, just a question for those who have bought this TV. There are people with this set in Europe who have either got their TV replaced or refunded due to the fact that this TV is not really a 1080p set (http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613872) - the TV does 1080p -> 1080i -> 1080p. I too have noticed the problem with 1080p material in both PC mode as well as interlacing defects. Has anyone here discussed it with Philips Australia? or am I the only one here having problems?

The TV is otherwise excellent but I kind of felt the TV should not have been advertised as Full HD 1080p. It does have an LCD screen capable of 1080p but the TV's processing can only handle 1080i...

Thanks.

Now that you mention it, and having read the last few pages of the thread on avforums, I initially noticed a flickering effect on my lcd as well through connecting my laptop to the tv through hdmi.

I thought that it might be linked to the fact that my laptop is not 1920x1080, but rather the res is 1400x900. The image would flicker when I moved my mouse around at 1080p resolution, but if I put the res to 720, the problem disappeared. So I assuemed it was the incompatiable native resolution between the two sources. I don't have a ps3 or other gaming console so can't test it out.

I wonder if anyone else can do a test?

Have you contact Philips Australia about this issue?

I might have a chat with Myer about this issue as I bought it from them.

I have not contacted Philips Australia yet about those problems as I have only noticed them recently after I got a new notebook with 1080P HDMI output.

With my notebook (mobility radion 3650), the resolutions without problems are 480p and 720p. Everything else either showed flickering (TV not in PC mode) or tearing (TV set to PC mode)-> the worst resolution is 1080p though.

I don't have a PS3 so can't comment on it. I just wanted to know what other owners are experiencing... Having read the thread on AVSforum, I thought it's best to collect all info first in order to put a strong case forward.

Perhaps someone with both PS3 and 1080p PC output can test?

Cheers.

I am a bit of SHOCK & ANGRY to find out that this TV is ONLY 1080i. :angry:

Have anyone contact Philips Australia about this issue?

I don't know where you got that info from, but it's incorrect.

EDIT: Just realised where you got that info from.

If that is trully the case then I'm PISSED OFF!.

But i've had 1080P content playing through my PC and through a PS3 no problems. I even played MOHAA on my tv without any jittering (once i turned off some features).

If this TV isn't a TRUE 1080P tv then I want my money back. What do i have to do to prove this tv is not 1080P?

Edited by CrazyNuts

No such thing as a “1080i” LCD. The display is definitely progressive but the input may not accept 1080p. Not that it matters much as you won’t see any difference provided the deinterlacing is decent. 1920x1080i from a PC should look pixel perfect.

No such thing as a “1080i” LCD. The display is definitely progressive but the input may not accept 1080p. Not that it matters much as you won’t see any difference provided the deinterlacing is decent. 1920x1080i from a PC should look pixel perfect.

That is not the point. The point is that the TV states in the manual/pamphlet that it is "flicker free 1080P" and that is what I want....exactly what's advertised.

Flickering and 1080i are separate issues, an LCD panel should never flicker no matter what input is used, if it does the video processing is no bloody good or the set is defective. 1080i input certainly never causes flicker on a good TV.

For those who are interested in the 1080p problem, you can see the demonstration on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ralphfx

From my limited understanding and knowledge (please correct if I am wrong), if you connect a 1080p pc in Blueray mode, you get flickering due to all the video processing. Those video processing are disabled in pc mode, but you end up seeing tearing/deinterlacing artefacts.

Just bought a 47pfl9632.

The warranty info that came with it says 1 year.

I am sure that in the shop the set was displayed as having a 3 year warranty.

Anyone got an answer to this?

Thanks

Hi, I contacted Philips customer care regarding the warranty recently, it is definitely 3 years. They also sent me a pdf file stating the 3 year warranty.

Hi, I contacted Philips customer care regarding the warranty recently, it is definitely 3 years. They also sent me a pdf file stating the 3 year warranty.

Did you ask them about the 1080i issue?

From what I could gather from the avforums website, the problem is that the panel is a 1080p panel but the processor can only do 1080i so you will never get 1080p.

Did you ask them about the 1080i issue?

From what I could gather from the avforums website, the problem is that the panel is a 1080p panel but the processor can only do 1080i so you will never get 1080p.

Hi, I have not because I experienced the 1080p problems after my call to Philips.

hmm this is sad but true story and its the same for my 42 inch 9632

the problem is the chip think its like the nxp5050 which does the 1080p to 1080i then to 1080p. And from wot ive heard phillips have said to change your tv to PC mode when watching bluray because this bypass's that chip. but then in turn u loose the motion and the flicker free which was the reason i bought this TV

Im gunna be another one making a call soon

kinda false advertising

Erin

It was a totally false advertising. I want my money back.

I rang Philips & the guy that answered the phone refused to accept it is not a "TRUE" 1080p even though he knew about the many complains in the "avforums". In fact he was quite rude about it.