Philips 47pfl9632d 47"

Guest monkey_boyau

Well, did you get it? No sign of mine yet. What have the other Myers purchasers heard?

Myers Garden City have told me they are expecting stock tomorrow. Fingers crossed. But I'm not especially hopeful given their record thus far.

Brad.

Edited by BradBateman

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I finally got a call from Myer Melbourne and mine is being delivered tomorrow night! :D

I got a call this arvo and it was delivered just over an hour ago. Hopefully all the other people waiting will be getting theirs shortly. Now just have to get some help setting it up. It sure is big! :rolleyes:

I suggest the best thing to do is go back through this topic and also look at a link from off the main page somewhere that has the best prices for all LCD and Plasma TV's. I don't have time to look the link up for you I'm afraid.

From memory, the best price for one of these 47" LCDs was about $3100, which appeared to be below cost price for some stores, but that may have changed by now.

Butcher,

Have you got your set yet? Hubby got a call from Philips and was reminded to send in the serial number when the LCD arrives. Philips guy also confirmed that the back log is at Philips' end.

Jamie,

The best price is just under $3100 at Myer Garden City in Perth, but I don't think that price is available anymore cuz the salesman has quit and is no longer with Myers.

I am surprised to see that the sets are still being priced at $3799 at many retail outlets here in Perth. Was expecting a price drop after the promo but it didn't happen.

Edited by wigglytuff

I ordered it early January and paid for it on the 31st.

Myer told me about 6 weeks a go that they received a box that was apparently meant to contain my TV but instead was full of bricks, so some one stole it from them during transit and they had to bear the cost. If that didn't happen then I probably would have got it much sooner.

I ordered it early January and paid for it on the 31st.

Myer told me about 6 weeks a go that they received a box that was apparently meant to contain my TV but instead was full of bricks, so some one stole it from them during transit and they had to bear the cost. If that didn't happen then I probably would have got it much sooner.

Happy for you that you are finally getting your set. I paid for mine 3rd week of Jan. Was told by the Myer guys that the sets arrived obn Thurs and they are only doing delivery next week.

Happy for you that you are finally getting your set. I paid for mine 3rd week of Jan. Was told by the Myer guys that the sets arrived obn Thurs and they are only doing delivery next week.

Yeah, I'll be happy when I get it. Glad you'll be getting yours soon too. :)

It certainly has been a long venture for me - I've been procrastinating for months but I'm glad that I've waited. I started looking at HDTVs back in August 07 and was initially considering the Panasonic 42" Viera PX70A for ~$2200 but decided against it because it wasn't a full HD TV, plus I was put off by the power consumption of plasmas.

I then almost bought a Sony 46X3100 LCD via a group buy for ~$4100 (including 5 year warranty) in September. This was a really good price at the time but then Sony dropped their RRP by $500 after only approximately 1 month and then near Christmas they introduced the free PS3 deal so I'm glad I held out.

In early December I nearly ordered the Samsung F8 for $3400, largely due to the bonus LCD but pulled out because of the long lead times, wave pattern and various other issues that people reported in the F8 thread. By this time I had read lots of reviews and overseas forums so I was aware that both the F8 and X3100 were very good TVs and I'm sure I would have probably been happy with either of these.

Anyway, after all this I finally decided to research the Philips and saw it to be comparable if not better in some aspects to the other TVs. After becoming aware of their free LCD promotion through DTV Forum I eventually went through with the purchase.

Incidentally, I spoke to Mario from Philips early this week to sort out my redemption form and after mentioning that I was a member of DTV, he said that he reads this forum (regularly I presume) and that he could see people getting frustrated with the delays, which was interesting to know. Going by the discussion I've had with Philips staff and the relatively low number of complaints for the 47PFL9632 at DTV and overseas forums, it seems to me that Philips' service and QA procedures are better than some other companies such as Samsung.

Hi,

I know this post is not related to price but i thought thought i would let people know the results of the latest firmware upgrade for the tv for those who have not done it...

The buzzing heard from the TV spreakers when the volume is low is now gone and...

The amount of digital noise produced by the screen has almost been eliminated. I am so impressed with the difference as one major negative of the screen has been the amount of digital noise, this is really noticeable on blu ray... This upgrade is well worth its while as the picture quality is now much better.

Thanks for the updates Philips!

Joseph

Well, after 6 months or more of research and two months of waiting, I got my first HDTV delivered on Monday and I'm very happy with it. The cricket and other shows in SD look superb and the small amount of HD content I've seen looks great too as you'd expect.

I do have two minor concerns though, one of which has been discussed on AvForums. I have measured the standby power consumption to be 30W when it should be ~1W. I will contact Philips shortly to see if there is a firmware fix, although I believe I'm already running the latest version.

Secondly, I've noticed a high pitched whisting noise when the TV is in standby which has been reported by many people overseas and it seems common with a range of Philips TVs. Some people say that the power supply is the cause where as in other cases it is the speakers. I think in this case it might be the power supply. Has any one else noticed either of these problems?

Both of these issues can be avoided by simply turning the TV off completely at the wall which I intended to do most of the time anyway. I'm not overly worried about the whistle noise, although I will do further testing but the standby power consumption is definitely a fault as it does not match the figures in the specification.

As for when the TV is running, the average power consumption is approximately ~150W but can drop to around 130W in some dark scenes or go up to 200W or higher for other brighter images. This is what I expected and it concurs with the CNET US review measurements. Assuming the TV is used 4 hours per day and electricity costs 20c per kW/hr, then on average it should use approximately 150Wx4hr*365days = 219kW per year which equates to (219kW/1kW)*20c = $43.8 per year which isn't too bad.

Finally got mine last Friday - woo hoo! It seems pretty good, although I am not living at home due to my renovations and I don't even have an antenna at the moment (rear section of the house roof is being rebuilt) so I can only watch stuff played on my old SD DVD player. But it looks great so far anyway! I don't mind the ambilight option either.

Edited by butcher

Hi,

I know this post is not related to price but i thought thought i would let people know the results of the latest firmware upgrade for the tv for those who have not done it...

The buzzing heard from the TV spreakers when the volume is low is now gone and...

The amount of digital noise produced by the screen has almost been eliminated. I am so impressed with the difference as one major negative of the screen has been the amount of digital noise, this is really noticeable on blu ray... This upgrade is well worth its while as the picture quality is now much better.

Thanks for the updates Philips!

Joseph

Hi Joseph, can you please post the version of the firmware patch you have applied (available from the menu on the TV) so we can compare ours and decide whether we need to upgrade or not? From memory my firmware was installed at the factory on 12th Dec 2007. The menu also lists the firmware version which is what we really need to see. Thanks.

Hi Joseph, can you please post the version of the firmware patch you have applied (available from the menu on the TV) so we can compare ours and decide whether we need to upgrade or not? From memory my firmware was installed at the factory on 12th Dec 2007. The menu also lists the firmware version which is what we really need to see. Thanks.

Check the firmware version on the tv, quite simple.

Latest is

Version: 000.064.014.015

Get the 24.65Meg file.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/...t=Link_Software

Edited by bosman

Already posted in other thread as well, but I though to let you know. I Just bought the Philips 42PFL9632D/79 for $2550 (including delivery) at Good Guys Pooraka (Adelaide, SA)

They could deliver tomorrow but won't be home, so have organised delivery for Tuesday (damn those Monday's Public Holidays!) :-)

• 1 month later...

Hey guys - I'm on a mission to track down a nice telly for the folks and I reckon the 47pfl9632d could be a goer.

I see this thread has been in existence for a few months now and the latest price mark has been around $3,100-$3,300. If I were to walk into a store (I'm in Canberra) and say "Johnny Forummer can get this unit for $3,100 and that's what I'm willing to shell out today" would I stand a chance?

Any advice on a realistic price would be hugely appreciated, as would advice re: extending warranty options (basically, is it worth it?)

Oh, I understand the practice of copying a receipt of the purchase can be used as a bargaining tool - if anyone has a sweet deal that they would be willing to e-mail me then that would be grand - also, if post your sagely advice(s) I get a sweet deal myself I'll post the receipt and details of store purchased for desperados like myself.

Thanks guys, rock on. :D

jordonix

@yahoo.com.au

Hey guys - I'm on a mission to track down a nice telly for the folks and I reckon the 47pfl9632d could be a goer.

I see this thread has been in existence for a few months now and the latest price mark has been around $3,100-$3,300. If I were to walk into a store (I'm in Canberra) and say "Johnny Forummer can get this unit for $3,100 and that's what I'm willing to shell out today" would I stand a chance?

Any advice on a realistic price would be hugely appreciated, as would advice re: extending warranty options (basically, is it worth it?)

Oh, I understand the practice of copying a receipt of the purchase can be used as a bargaining tool - if anyone has a sweet deal that they would be willing to e-mail me then that would be grand - also, if post your sagely advice(s) I get a sweet deal myself I'll post the receipt and details of store purchased for desperados like myself.

Thanks guys, rock on. :D

jordonix

@yahoo.com.au

jordonix

i paid $3100 in perth back in january when they had the free 32" promo. since then, i noticed prices across the large screen (40 inch and above) TV have dropped by about $500. I know I am making a generalisation here but I will expect that you should be able to get this panel for less than $3000. Perhaps someone who has purchased this screen more recently can comment?

Edited by sschen

jordonix

i paid $3100 in perth back in january when they had the free 32" promo. since then, i noticed prices across the large screen (40 inch and above) TV have dropped by about $500. I know I am making a generalisation here but I will expect that you should be able to get this panel for less than $3000. Perhaps someone who has purchased this screen more recently can comment?

Thanks for the heads up sschen!

Got a question. A mate purchased one of these LCD'S at a larger electrical outlet, and shortly after got a Pioneer AVR through a melbourne A/V store. Mate had trouble with HDMI from AVR to TV and was told by A/V retailer that HDMI was not possible between the 2 as they are not compatible. Mate said they work fine with component. Not sure what model the Pioneer AVR is but it is fairly new and cost approx.$700. Something is not quite right here, or is there a compatibility issue ???

Something is not quite right here, or is there a compatibility issue ???

Not that this solves your problem but here's some more anecdotal evidence (ok, hearsay) of these sets bugging out... I went in to HN to sort out my folks telly thinking said unit was a solid option but the sales dude reckons he's had a swag of calls from peeps saying that when they hooked up their ps3 (he didn't clarify whether they were using component or HDMI) the set couldn't handle what the ps3 was throwing at it and it projected some digitally nasty image. Apparently Philips tried to release a fix but it has failed and the end result is a lot of unhappy campers. No doubt there is a thread on this already...

FYI on the folks purchase - I ditched LCD and went plasma, Panasonic TH-42PZ700A for $2,250 at HN Fyshwick, ACT. In hindsight could of haggled more... cest la vie!