Philips 47pfl9632d 47"

Guest monkey_boyau

Stephen,

That is a fantastic price. Don't think anyone can beat this. Have you decided what you are doing with the extended warranty. Even if you pay $400 or so with Myers, you are still in front.

robbyw

Not sure what I will be doing with the extended warranty yet to be honest but I will most likely go back to get a refund. I don't think the sales rep is willing to move on the extended warranty so it won't be $400, more like either $449 or $489. I told myself $300 is the most I am willing to spend on the additional 2 years warranty. To be honest, my experience tells me if a TV is going to fail, it is most likely in the first 3 years. I have never had a TV failed after 3 years, that is why I thought paying more than $400 is a bit stiff. That said, I am not a TV repair technician, they are probably best qualified to know about this kind of thing.

I don't quite understand the logic, I know someone has already explained that you are paying for the age of the product with the Myer extended warranty but.... Haha. :)

Edited by sschen

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just received delivery of one of these set. Setting up was a breeze.

The stand is half the weight. It consists of a thick glass base with a solid metal stand.

Not the plastic looking type with piano finish on some brands. The stand can swviel around the base.

It also comes with an aluminium wall mount if ever you need it.

On my old set-top box, sometimes I have problems with reception to my old CRT, with weak signal.

But I must say this new Philips LCD impress me. I had done nothing to my aerial but the signal is strong.

The PQ is excellent even on default settings.

I guess when you only have one TV to look at, unlike in the shops where there are so many to compare, this LCD looks best.

Been watching the Australian Open, with the bigger screen, you feel you are almost there!

Those who are waiting for your set and those thinking to buy one, you won't be disappointed. Go for it!.

....and there's more, the happy story doesn't end here....a bonus 32" LCD on its way!

Just received delivery of one of these set. Setting up was a breeze.

The stand is half the weight. It consists of a thick glass base with a solid metal stand.

Not the plastic looking type with piano finish on some brands. The stand can swviel around the base.

It also comes with an aluminium wall mount if ever you need it.

On my old set-top box, sometimes I have problems with reception to my old CRT, with weak signal.

But I must say this new Philips LCD impress me. I had done nothing to my aerial but the signal is strong.

The PQ is excellent even on default settings.

I guess when you only have one TV to look at, unlike in the shops where there are so many to compare, this LCD looks best.

Been watching the Australian Open, with the bigger screen, you feel you are almost there!

Those who are waiting for your set and those thinking to buy one, you won't be disappointed. Go for it!.

....and there's more, the happy story doesn't end here....a bonus 32" LCD on its way!

robbie

good to know you are happy with it. I received mine this morning at 07:30am as well. My gosh, the box is huge. I agreed with what robbie said, it does not look all that big in the showroom but I can imagine how big it will look in the HT room already. As for the barcode, is this refering to the white sticker that is stuck at the corner of the carton?

I am getting my brother-in-law to drop by later to help move the TV. Can't wait!!

robbie

good to know you are happy with it. I received mine this morning at 07:30am as well. My gosh, the box is huge. I agreed with what robbie said, it does not look all that big in the showroom but I can imagine how big it will look in the HT room already. As for the barcode, is this refering to the white sticker that is stuck at the corner of the carton?

I am getting my brother-in-law to drop by later to help move the TV. Can't wait!!

Yes, believe it is, at the bottom corner.

There are two barcodes with the same serial number corner of each other.

Not sure if they need both or only either one of it.

Incline to send only one, in case if the mail goes missing there is another to standby.

Anyone who had redeem theirs, please throw some advice.

Thanks.

Re the barcodes:

I redeemed mine (the 32" arrived yesterday and I only posted the paperwork on 2 Jan 08!) and I only sent one of the barcodes in and kept the other one, just in case.

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

Does the 32" TV come with a wall bracket like the 47"? Does it has a 3 year warranty too?

Thanks.

Re the barcodes:

I redeemed mine (the 32" arrived yesterday and I only posted the paperwork on 2 Jan 08!) and I only sent one of the barcodes in and kept the other one, just in case.

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

Does the 32" TV come with a wall bracket like the 47"? Does it has a 3 year warranty too?

Thanks.

Brad

Just thought I will let you know that Myer Garden City does not have this screen on display. I am not sure where about you live, but the Philips 42", 47" & 52" were setup side by side very nicely at Good Guys Cannington, so this is where I will go if you want to see the screens.

Ask for Jonathan when you are at Myer Garden City, tell him you want the same deal he gave Stephen on saturday. He said he was doing $3300/TV for someone previously wanting to buy three so considering I only bought one, I think he gave me a very good deal? When I went and see him, I did say I am a friend of a DTV forum member that previously bought a 50" Samsung P91 plasma a couple of months ago from him so perhaps that helps. I did say I will be refering more sales to him. I did not even have to produce BJ receipt, I just said my best deal was $3300. To be honest, I am quite surprised he was able to shave $200 off.

In any case, I will forward you a copy of my receipt. There is only one left in the Perth warehouse as of late saturday afternoon, the next shipment is due 18/01. Good luck and do let us know how you go.

Stephen,

You are a gentleman and a scholar (there's not many of us left!). Took your receipt into Garden City this arvo and got the price matched. Didn't worry about extended warranty. I figure that if anything is going to go wrong, hopefully it will be within the factory 3 year warranty. Will put the extra cash toward a PS3... However, they did say that they are now out of stock :( and that more will be arriving on Jan 27. But I don't really mind as I will be out of town anyhow. And you can do the redemption until Feb 15...

Thanks again.

Brad.

Hi there,

Thank you to all those that contribute to this forum. Once I had informed myself about the best prices I was able to negotiate the Philips 47PFL9632d for $3300 + $150 for additional 4 years warranty from HN Auburn, including delivery. Not bad at all!

I'm happy to email my receipt to anyone that needs it.

Would be great to get some tips on the settings, etc if anyone has them.

Thanks again.

Sara

Hi Soraya,

i was hoping if you could please send me a copy of your receipt. or someone else please forward it to me. Thanks in advance.

I'm in the process of getting a refund from Samsung for my 46" M8, hopefully i get the money in a weeks time. I've been reading dozens and dozens of reviews on the Sony X/XBR, Samsung F8 and stubbled on the Philips LCD, after reading everyone's review from this thread i've converted to being a Philips fan as well. at first i didn't think id like the Ambilight feature, but after reading the reviews its seems as thought its not just another gimmick . Also wanted to check if this TV is/has the 100Hz feature as well?

Thanks for all you feed back on this TV guys, im sure Philips would be proud of you all! so long to Samsung and Sony! - all i ever read about their panels are problems that take forever for the company to acknowledge

Please send the receipt copy to chris.montealegre@gmail.com

Cheers :ph34r:

analLIATOR

We are also looking at buying the the Sony Bravia KDL46X3100 or the Philips 47PFL9632D/79 and have been comparing the two.

We were going to get the Philips as it has more positive features than the Sony eg. Swivel, 47", extra warranty, 3ms, 550cd, bonus tv (don't need playstation) etc

However, I just noticed that the Philips is HD Tuner "READY" and the Sony has a HD Tuner. I was told that this means that in order to tape/watch HD tv through the Philips (with no devices attached eg. HD-DVD), I would have to watch it through a device to get the best quality out of the tv. We don't have one of those...

Or is this something I am wrong about?

I was told I would notice the difference in quality not having the HD Tuner....

Specs from Websites:

Sony: Integrated HD Digital Tuner

http://www.sony.com.au/homecinema/catalog/...ategoryId=22400

Philips:

HD ready for the highest quality display of HDTV signals

Enjoy the exceptional picture quality of a true High Definition TV signal and be fully prepared for HD sources like HDTV broadcast, Blu-ray DVD or HD-DVD. HD ready is a protected label that offers picture quality beyond that of progressive scan. It conforms to strict standards laid out by EICTA to offer a HD screen that displays the benefits of resolution and picture quality of a High Definition TV signal. It has a universal connection for both analog YPbPr and uncompressed Digital connection of DVI or HDMI, supporting HDCP. It can display 720p, and 1080i signals at 50 and 60Hz.

Ref: http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/e...V+47PFL9632D-79

So if I was just to watch tv through the Philips would it be the same quality tuner as the Sony, without another device? * I am not vey techinical as you can see

Confused Sebza :unsure:

Philips:

HD ready for the highest quality display of HDTV signals

I think this Phillips panel can display HD contents but the built-in TV tuner is a SD, this tuner is not capable of displaying HD contents. For 3K+ TV one would expect a built-in HD TV tuner.

I think this Phillips panel can display HD contents but the built-in TV tuner is a SD, this tuner is not capable of displaying HD contents. For 3K+ TV one would expect a built-in HD TV tuner.

It has a built in HD tuner.

Most decent tv's have a built in hD tuner

It has a built in HD tuner.

Most decent tv's have a built in hD tuner

I want to second Goldy comment above. If it does not have a HD tuner, then it would not have been able to decode the HD channels. I set up the TV last night and was able to view the FTA HD channels fine.

Hi, I came very close to getting the Sony X series and Samsung F8 (I'm sure they are both great TVs by the way) but have now decided on the Philips 47PFL9632. This TV has an innovative Ambilight, handles fast motion well, comes with a 3 year warranty and also a bonus 32” LCD via redemption until Jan 31st. Overall, it compares well with Sony and Samsung but is generally said to have a slightly lower contrast ratio.

The Philips 47pfl9632d thread has more information but here are a couple of reviews if you’re interested:

* http://hometheatermag.com/lcds/1207lcd/index1.html

* http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/review/2...-47in-LCD-TV/p1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey lanek hows it going,

Thanks for info, i've also been advised of the Philips 47PFL9632. The TV does look good and the 3ms looks promising. i haven't seen one in the stores yet though so i haven't been able to see if its any good. the Ambilight things looks like it could be a good thing or annoying to some people. i really want to see the TV in the stores to see if id like it. and hey the 32" bonus LCD is a big Bonus better that the 26" that Samsung is giving away. this could be the deal breaker for me here.

So anyway would really love to see what your opinions are on the TV are like, if the colours are good and realistic, if the fast moving object are clean and not jerky, and also how Black looks if the are black enough.

Cheers

Chris.

BTW how much did you get the TV for?

Hi Chris, rather than hijack the Samsung F8 thread, I thought I'd post a reply here. B)

I have seen this in store displaying the cricket and tennis and thought it handled motion really well. The colours looked accurate and I couldn't see any TBE or motion related artefacts around the players or ball. However there was some noise/pixelation at a close distance, probably because it was a SD broadcast but this became negligible 2.5-3m back and was evident on all the other plasma and LCD displays. Perhaps a dodgy antenna or cabling in the store contributed to this because from what I've read and saw in another store, this TV handles SD quite well.

I haven't seen any content with a lot of black so I can't comment on that aspect but what they say in the reviews is fairly positive. If you refer to my post here, you will find a list of issues people overseas have found which we may encounter. One of these is input lag which may affect your PS3 gaming experience. If you read through some of the Philips 37/42/47pfl9632/9732 thread you will find some people say this isn't a problem though.

I've got my TV on hold at a Myer store in Adelaide and am paying $3350, plus $38 delivery. Might try and get them down a bit more, but it seems prices of ~3100-3300 are unattainable here. :(

I want to second Goldy comment above. If it does not have a HD tuner, then it would not have been able to decode the HD channels. I set up the TV last night and was able to view the FTA HD channels fine.

Phew, I'm sure glad it does have an inbuilt HD tuner because this was one feature I had overlooked since I also assumed any decent TV modern came with one.

Hi...

Could I please get a copy of your receipt, or any member's receipts from VICTORIA. I would rather not get interstate receipts in case they don't accept it.. ;)

* The lowest I can get is $3583 (cash) at the moment - from a HN store in Victoria.

Email: sebza@aanet.com.au

It would be great if you could include in your email any items that they threw in with the sale eg. delivery, cables etc

I would REALLY appreciate it!!!

Waiting in anticipation... Thanks

Edited by Sebza

ok fair enough, Phillips did not spell it out clearly, on their web page it says "Integrated Digital Tuner for DVB-T reception"

http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/e...V+47PFL9632D-79

Rowd - I purchased from Myer Melbourne yesterday and they were happy to match the $3300 (inc. delivery) price for BJ (I think his invoice was originally from a Qld store? - definitely not Melbourne) but no they wouldn't throw in any cables, which wasn't really a drama for me. An assistant called John looked after me there. He gave me a discount on the 2 yr warranty extension (from standard 3 years to 5 years) which I purchased for $350 (instead of $430 or something).

Sorry if I missed anyone who wanted receipts emailed today but I've been working but I can forward them now...

By the way, I have had a close look at the online specs and the 47" panel seems to me to be the same as the 42" Aurea and therefore must get the same rating for PQ as the Aurea has been getting - i.e. excellent reviews. Looking forward to it. Mine was on back-order, available on the 18th January. I understand the last of the Myer LCD's that were on back-order was purchased yesterday.

Hi Butcher,

Could I please have a copy of your receipt asap as stocks are running low?

sebza@aanet.com.au

Thanks - Sorry for the trouble,

Sebza

P.S. I am requesting a few in case they argue price, location of sales etc.

Edited by Sebza

Hi there,

Thank you to all those that contribute to this forum. Once I had informed myself about the best prices I was able to negotiate the Philips 47PFL9632d for $3300 + $150 for additional 4 years warranty from HN Auburn, including delivery. Not bad at all!

I'm happy to email my receipt to anyone that needs it.

Would be great to get some tips on the settings, etc if anyone has them.

Thanks again.

Sara

Hi Soraya,

Could I please have a copy of your receipt also?

sebza@aanet.com.au

Thanks - Sorry for the trouble,

Sebza

P.S. I am requesting a few in case they argue price, location of sales etc.

Hi Mark,

Thanks.

Lowtech,

No bracket with the 32" model unfortunately.

All the paperwork that came with it says 12 month warranty, but now you mention it I think I remember someone else write recently that all the Philips warrantys were for 3 years. Anyone verify that one? Maybe it will be a call to Philips to find out.

has anyone tried to play mpeg1/2 video from a USB stick?

See this review http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/review/2...-47in-LCD-TV/p1

"There's also PC interface support and even a USB port via which you can play JPEG, MP3, .alb slideshow and MPEG 1 and 2 video files"

Can it play divx ?

Hmmm... Thanks for the link to that review. The part about the TV being able to read MPEG1 and 2 video files is interesting. The manual only says it can display photos and play music through the USB interface, no mention of the TV being able to play MPEG files.

I will copy some MPEG files onto my USB drive and see if it can read them.

Hmmm... Thanks for the link to that review. The part about the TV being able to read MPEG1 and 2 video files is interesting. The manual only says it can display photos and play music through the USB interface, no mention of the TV being able to play MPEG files.

I will copy some MPEG files onto my USB drive and see if it can read them.

Yeah I noticed that the review mentioned it could play back mpegs too. Apparently this feature has been disabled on the 9632 but there is a way to hack around it.

Last week I found this thread which explains how to do it. It seems the file needs be a certain name for it work and there is the risk of losing all of your settings so make sure you write them down on paper. Here is what you need to do:

Playing mpeg1 and mpeg2 via USB is normally not support on new CINEOS 9x32 and AUREA TV. (Older models 9xx1 support this type of video).

In USB menu, there is only Picture and Music options. (not video)

But mpg video can be still play

Philips has backdoor to automatic playing mpg video via USB and here is instruction what you need to do, if you can watching mpg video file:

1. rename your mpg file to SuperShopDemo.mpg

2. copy this file on USB memory device to root sector (not to directory)

3. turn on your TV and put USB memory device to USB slot

Wait a couple of seconds... and watch

During playing is every function on RC disabled. Only Menu key is active (and also volume control).

I dont now why Philips blocked this function, but certainly it has some reasons.

When I get my TV I will probably try this because apart from watching full HD content over FTA I don't have any other sources. This should allow you to play 1920x1080 mpeg files.

Edited by lanek