Philips 47pfl9632d 47"

Guest monkey_boyau

Guest monkey_boyau

Hi All,

I am currently looking at purchasing a Philips 47PFL9632D 47" tv.

I would like any feedback on the best price people have been able to get.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone bought this lcd?

i am looking at this or the sony 46X3100. Has anyone been able to compare the 2 tvs and if so which one you recommend. Also, if anyone has bought the philips i too would be interested to know what sort of price i should be aiming for.

Harvey Norman Chatswood, $3400 plus $150 for an extra 4 yrs warranty, taking it up to 7 years.

Walked in ready to get either the 50 inch P series Samsung Plasma or the 46 inch Sony X Series LCD, walked out with the Philips.

Hoping I made the right choice, in the end all would have probably made me happy!

The free 32 inch made the decision a little easier.

Delivery on Sat

Harvey Norman Chatswood, $3400 plus $150 for an extra 4 yrs warranty, taking it up to 7 years.

Walked in ready to get either the 50 inch P series Samsung Plasma or the 46 inch Sony X Series LCD, walked out with the Philips.

Hoping I made the right choice, in the end all would have probably made me happy!

Delivery on Sat

Wow thats fantastic.

i just spent the afternoon comparing tv sets and it looks like the philips has come out on top. Just need to go in and negotiate a good price. Any chance you could send me a copy of your receipt to khanbubba (at) hotmail (dot) com. Would make bargaining easier if i can show the salesguy/girl a receipt.

Delivery on Sat

Hi ya

Please go back to Harvey and ask them to refund you the extended warranty that you will never able to claim should it happened on the 6th and 7th year.

If you read the Narta warranty terms and conditions, it should state the maxmium cover is 5 years including original manuafacture's warranty.

In your case, you should not be paying more then $179 for a two years extended warranty to make it total of 5 years.

just my 5 cents worth, I think 3 years waranty is more then enough so I suggest you just call up Narta and cancel the warranty and get a full refund within 14 days of purchase.

Especially the Sale man has the intention to misslead and rip you off by paying $100 more.... :angry2:

Edited by WrxStan

Hi guys,

I was in a similar position today. I was very much split between the 2 units.

The deciding factor for me was I found 2 main differences between the sony x series and the philips...

1) Black levels- On a blank black screen with nothing but an LG logo the sony displayed much better black levels and

2) Brighter colour- This is to the individuals taste but I found the sony displayed a very powerful colour in its picturs overall.

In saying this the philips looked less 'digital' if that makes sense at all....It had a more natural picture.

All in all after watching them side by side in a 2 Fast 2 Furious car scene I found the sony had the slighest of edges for example the Yellow dodge viper was a more true yellow where as the philips displayed a more off yellow.

Motion flow was pretty equal between the 2.....

However, I would not say there is a great deal of difference. The philips is a top tv and so is the sony.

It is important to note that both tv's were only running component cables. HDMI could well see different results.

In terms of price they are both priced very similar. A target range is the $3300-3400 bracket. I was quoted in this region for both, could of bought them both for about $3300.

Although the free 32" and 3 year factory warranty make the philips a better deal than the sony.

Either way I don't think anyone will be dissapointed with there choice.

Edited by joseph07

I am also interested in the Philips 47" and comparing it with the Sony 46" Bravia X.

A GG outlet had them side by side and the Sony looks slightly brighter and sharper.

However the free LCD offer by Philips is very attractive and comes with 3 years warranty. Sony only have 1 year warranty.

The best price I got was $3,600 for either models from a HN outlet but was put off by the salesman trying to sell me surge protector for $200, HDMI cables for $200 and extra 4 years warranty for $300 which add $700 to the price.

Listed the following differences between the Philips with the Sony.

1. Philips is an inch bigger.

2. Philips comes with a USB port to play images and music directly. Don't think Sony have this feature.

3. Philips had ambient light technology. Not sure it this is any good or just a gimmick.

4. Philips comes with 3 years warranty, Sony 1 year.

5. Philips bonus 32" LCD TV advertised at $1,299, Sony bonus PS3 worth $600.

6. Philips refresh rate 3ms, Sony 8ms

7. Philips comes with wall mounting and metal stand. Not sure if Sony comes with wall mounting.

8. Brightness, Philips 550 cd/m2, Sony 500 cd/m2

9. Philips made in China. Sony X made in Japan

10. Sony looks a slightly brighter and sharper in comparison.

11. Std contrast ratio, Sony 2200:1, Philips 1200:1

12. Dynamic contrast ratio, Sony 18000:1, Philips 8000:1

Would be grateful if owners of the Philips 47" could give their comments on this model and if they are happy with it.

I can also agree that the Sony is a touch brighter. The images that you see on the Sony are a little more artificial too, as mentioned by someone else a few posts ago. The Philips is a real attractive buy, with the LCD TV giveaway.

I guess if you don't have a PS3, then the Sony offer is something to consider.

I am also looking at a purchase between these two TV's, plus a Toshiba 52x3000. ATM you can get a HD-DVD player, and if my memory serves me, a universal remote (only if purchased at HN) valued at $399. They are via redemption.

The current pricing I have from these are: $3400 Sony 46X3100, $3300 Philips 47pfl9632, and $3300 for the Toshiba 52x3000. All with standard warranty. I am not overly concerned that the Toshiba has no 100hz.

I am auditioning the Toshiba today, I have only seen this running on HD-DVD, wish to see it on FTA TV.

So, I too require any personal responses regarding the Philips and the Toshiba. I know the Sony is a top TV, but wish to explore other options before making any final decisions.

I have been looking at the philips,sony but yesterday i saw a sharp lx46d83x and i was very impressed with it.

My mate has just bought a philips 42 and i thought the ambilight was a gimmick but when i saw it in action i really liked it as it softens the picture.

It would look really good on a wall i think to.

i am going to find some sharps to look at today but not alot of places have them yet as they have only just been released about a month ago i think.

The current pricing I have from these are: $3400 Sony 46X3100, $3300 Philips 47pfl9632, and $3300 for the Toshiba 52x3000. All with standard warranty. I am not overly concerned that the Toshiba has no 100hz.

$3300 for the Philips sounds a good price. Would you tell us which shop quoted it and is it in Melbourne?

I have been looking at the philips,sony but yesterday i saw a sharp lx46d83x and i was very impressed with it.

Seen the Sharp too, and the image does appear sharper and clearer.

But the retail price is about $500 more than the Sony and Philips.

It comes with a bonus Blu-Ray DVD player.

$3300 for the Philips sounds a good price. Would you tell us which shop quoted it and is it in Melbourne?

i just got quoted $3300.00 for the lc46d83x and that was over the phone to.

i rang about 8 places before and the best was around $3500-3600.

but the 3300.00 was without the blu ray player but these will be about $300.00 in 6 months i think.

the 42" was quoted for 2730.00 and also without the blu ray player.

Hi ya

Please go back to Harvey and ask them to refund you the extended warranty that you will never able to claim should it happened on the 6th and 7th year.

If you read the Narta warranty terms and conditions, it should state the maxmium cover is 5 years including original manuafacture's warranty.

In your case, you should not be paying more then $179 for a two years extended warranty to make it total of 5 years.

just my 5 cents worth, I think 3 years waranty is more then enough so I suggest you just call up Narta and cancel the warranty and get a full refund within 14 days of purchase.

Especially the Sale man has the intention to misslead and rip you off by paying $100 more.... :angry2:

Just read the terms and conditions for the HN extended warranty, and it's not part of NARTA, and cleary states that t can go up to 7 yrs (5 yrs only for Plasma)

Thanks for the heads up in any case. Also double checked Narta site and HN is not included in their retailers.

Will update all on the performance of the unit once I test it!

Just read the terms and conditions for the HN extended warranty, and it's not part of NARTA, and cleary states that t can go up to 7 yrs (5 yrs only for Plasma)

Thanks for the heads up in any case. Also double checked Narta site and HN is not included in their retailers.

Will update all on the performance of the unit once I test it!

$150 for extra 4 years warranty is good price. I was quoted $300, and it was from a HN too.

Look forward to hear your feedback on the TV.

I actually got it at a cheaper price that that, around the $3230 mark including delivery, but unfortunately I cannot say my source of purchase.

Something like mates rates and fringe benefits kind of thing I guess.

Here are my initial thoughts after day 1.

HDTV looks fantastic, the cricket looked great, as do movies. Also tested the Matrix thouugh DVD and it also looked great, and this was through a sub standard DVD player. Ambilight certainly adds something when viewing at night in the dark, you notice the difference when you turn it off. Not just a gimmick.

On the down side, some programs look unusual when you have the motion flow and 100hz smoothing on, it can look a bit artificial when people move. Doesn't seem to affect sports so much, but more on people moving on the screen. However, having said this I think this just an LCD thing, as I noticed this in the store when comparing to a Plasma with other brands. I think it also depends on the quality of the input from broadcasters.

Initially I thought Foxtel looked terrible on the unit, but with a bit of adjusting I think it looks ok now, not great. But once again, I think you will find that all LCDs will highlight Foxtels defiencies.

I am also interested in the Philips 47" and comparing it with the Sony 46" Bravia X.

A GG outlet had them side by side and the Sony looks slightly brighter and sharper.

However the free LCD offer by Philips is very attractive and comes with 3 years warranty. Sony only have 1 year warranty.

The best price I got was $3,600 for either models from a HN outlet but was put off by the salesman trying to sell me surge protector for $200, HDMI cables for $200 and extra 4 years warranty for $300 which add $700 to the price.

Listed the following differences between the Philips with the Sony.

1. Philips is an inch bigger.

2. Philips comes with a USB port to play images and music directly. Don't think Sony have this feature.

3. Philips had ambient light technology. Not sure it this is any good or just a gimmick.

4. Philips comes with 3 years warranty, Sony 1 year.

5. Philips bonus 32" LCD TV advertised at $1,299, Sony bonus PS3 worth $600.

6. Philips refresh rate 3ms, Sony 8ms

7. Philips comes with wall mounting and metal stand. Not sure if Sony comes with wall mounting.

8. Brightness, Philips 550 cd/m2, Sony 500 cd/m2

9. Philips made in China. Sony X made in Japan

10. Sony looks a slightly brighter and sharper in comparison.

11. Std contrast ratio, Sony 2200:1, Philips 1200:1

12. Dynamic contrast ratio, Sony 18000:1, Philips 8000:1

Would be grateful if owners of the Philips 47" could give their comments on this model and if they are happy with it.

As an owner of philips, I agreed with the above from point 1 to 9. but point 10 is questionable. Think about this, point 8 is correct (philips has 550 cd when sony has 500 cd), philips should be brighter. I compared them side by side, and can see that sony is "redder", so its image looks brighter. on the test pattern with white only, philips shows white but sony shows pinkish.

with point 11 & 12, these are only manufacturers' claims. The Japanese and Korean manufacturers are in the "big number" game. None of us watches tv in those tightly controlled testing environment. And differences are only identified by computer equipment, human eyes have limitations. More details here:

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.co...rast-ratio.html

Since picture quality are similar, i made my decision based on: one inch bigger, ambient light (it really works when watch in complete darkness); 3 years warranty and zero bright pixel (Sony 1 year warranty and max 3 bright pixel).

As an owner of philips, I agreed with the above from point 1 to 9. but point 10 is questionable. Think about this, point 8 is correct (philips has 550 cd when sony has 500 cd), philips should be brighter. I compared them side by side, and can see that sony is "redder", so its image looks brighter. on the test pattern with white only, philips shows white but sony shows pinkish.

with point 11 & 12, these are only manufacturers' claims. The Japanese and Korean manufacturers are in the "big number" game. None of us watches tv in those tightly controlled testing environment. And differences are only identified by computer equipment, human eyes have limitations. More details here:

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.co...rast-ratio.html

Since picture quality are similar, i made my decision based on: one inch bigger, ambient light (it really works when watch in complete darkness); 3 years warranty and zero bright pixel (Sony 1 year warranty and max 3 bright pixel).

Gadget Guy, I don't want to make a double post against forum policy. Please have a read of what I wrote here and let me know if you can offer any thoughts on your Philips. Thanks.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...mp;#entry892197

Hi,

I just bought one of these puppies last week (delivery 2 days ago) and for what it is worth, I say go for it! Very happy with the quality, price and the free 32" LCD (when it arrives). GOC Home Command loves the Ambilight too!

I have a question on the EPG on this TV (for those that have one), does the 7 or 8 day option work for you? I can only seem to get the Now and Next function. I live in Wollongong so could it be an issue with what is actually being transmitted or is there a secret option (that I can't find) in the set up to allow me to view a 7 or 8 day EPG? Looked every where but can't see a way to enable it.

Thanks

Mark

I have an answer to my own question, direct from Philips today (fast service I must say) and to quote the email I replied asking about the 7 or 8 day EPG:

"The TV is not capable of displaying the whole week of the EPG, this is due to when the TV set was released Free to Air TV only had a "now and next" EPG.

The TV was only designed to work with this.

There has been some recent changes to the EPG and how it works, the TV is not able to display the whole week.

Some enquiries have been made overseas to see if there can be a adjustment made to the TV, if this is possible it will be released as a software update.

Please keep posted on www.p4c.philips.com"

So maybe it will come sometime in the future as a firmware update?

Regards

Mark

Edited by Mark_b

Gadget Guy, I don't want to make a double post against forum policy. Please have a read of what I wrote here and let me know if you can offer any thoughts on your Philips. Thanks.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...mp;#entry892197

When I compared the X series and 9632 side by side, in a demo disc, there were some colour testing patterns, so it's more objective than watching demo clips. The testing pattern was from black to white. It showed how the panel handles grayscale. Philips handles the grayscale pretty well, while Sony has some error (the scale goes deeper while it should have been lighter). Although the philips handles well, it still shows a slight banding in the scaling (I could see each scale was separated by a fine vertical line and the fading was not 100% smooth. I would say the issue is multifolded - lighting source in the room, the quality of the video source, connections, and the processor in the panel. The demo disc was a DVD and the player was a $49 model, and connections was come-in-the-box component cable, and through a split box. Sony was connected with the same setting in the same room, so in my view, philips outperformed sony in grayscale processing.

Interestingly the error you spotted was the red colour. Perhaps check out other colour too since Sony's panel shows more (or brighter?) red than other panels.

About colour, it is very subjective as it comes down to personal preference. Since each base colour affects the picture differently and they are relative, so until panels in questions are calibrated, it's hard to compare. I used Digital Video Essentials DVD to calibrate my panel. After hours of fiddling, i still prefer the way i like it rather than "perfect".

About the edges and ghost images you saw in credit, I haven't experienced the same when watching DVD. In fact, when the credit comes up, it looks unnaturally clear comparing to the cinema. I haven't watched a movie from FTA channels, so can't comment if it is the same.

So far my viewing experience with Philips was impressive. FTA is better than DVD (HD channels). Because the panel is big, to get the most of it, I also upgraded my PVR (from SD to HD) and dvd player (with upscale function), and replaced component to HDMI. To prove to myself my money was well spent, I played around with different settings and connections, the difference in PQ was noticeable.

Hi,

I posted above that I had purchased the sony x series, but that has now changed.

After sleeping on it for a night or 2 I decided to go back to the good guys and have another look at the philips.

I ended up leaving with it and I am very happy. I got the screen for $3300.

The positives I have found with this particular set are that I can turn HD natural motion off and even (if I want) take perfect pixel off and the motion blur on any sort of fast moving/panning blu ray scenes is negligible...

Picture quality is also very good.......very natural.

The only negative or minor issue I have found with the screen is that of digital noise. Although this can only really be noticed in some lighter scenes...

The noise reduction feature on the screen is ok but not great. If a firmware update came out that minimsed the noise a little this would be an almost flawless screen.

As most other LCD's seem to each have an issue or two the philips is really as close to a flawless LCD as I could find.

I am very happy with the purchase. Bang for your buck, I also think the Philips wins hands down. The free 32" is a real bonus.

Edited by joseph07

Hi,

I posted above that I had purchased the sony x series, but that has now changed.

After sleeping on it for a night or 2 I decided to go back to the good guys and have another look at the philips.

The positives I have found with this particular set are that I can turn HD natural motion off and even (if I want) take perfect pixel off and the motion blur on any sort of fast moving/panning blu ray scenes is negligible...

The only negative or minor issue I have found with the screen is that of digital noise. Although this can only really be noticed in some lighter scenes...

The noise reduction feature on the screen is ok but not great. If a firmware update came out that minimsed the noise a little this would be an almost flawless screen.

As most other LCD's seem to each have an issue or two the philips is really as close to a flawless LCD as I could find.

I am very happy with the purchase. Bang for your buck, I also think the Philips wins hands down. The free 32" is a real bonus.

That's a good price. Well done!

Wrt to the digital noise, are you using any surge protector board.

Wonder if that will help to reduce it.

Hi,

Can you please advise at which GG you purchased this?

Ta