Sign in to follow this  
jd71

Samsung P9 (ps50p91fdx) Owners Thread

anyone living in Adelaide has gotten a better deal than $3097 radio rental price? if yes, can you send me a receipt? jarthel @t gmail d0t c0m. thank you

Edited by jarthel

Hi guys,

our just over a week old plazzy (this one of course) while looking pretty

damn good has lost its sound.Nothing out of speakers,not even the little tune it plays

when it fires up.

We are fairly peeved to say the least.

Samsung have already received a rocket from the wife hence the service

guy arriving tomorrow.

Dang shoulda waited for the Laser telly.

Cheers,

Shane.

(ps. maybe its just us and new gizmos? Our new aircon lasted about as long too :angry2: )

(ps again. should maybe keep the missus away from new gizmos.both fritzed while she was at the controls!!)

Edited by Vidiotic

Im going overseas in a couple of months,

so if anyone is looking to buy this TV,

mines only 3 months old with 5 year warranty.

Let me know if your interested (Im in sydney)

Sorry to take advantage of this thread ;)

how does upscaled DVD look like? also what player are you using?

thank you :)

how does upscaled DVD look like? also what player are you using?

thank you :)

Upscale DVD or SD material looks pretty good but Samsung is best with BD or HD-DVD.

I am using DVDO VP50 video scaler that upscale everything to 1080p and this is similar

to performance you can expect from DVD player like Oppo 983.

Quick question, can you turn the plasma off as opposed to putting it on standby without unplugging it???? If so I can't see a switch anywere

Quick question, can you turn the plasma off as opposed to putting it on standby without unplugging it???? If so I can't see a switch anywere

There is no off, just standby. Off is at the wall.

Hi guys,

our just over a week old plazzy (this one of course) while looking pretty

damn good has lost its sound.Nothing out of speakers,not even the little tune it plays

when it fires up.

We are fairly peeved to say the least.

Samsung have already received a rocket from the wife hence the service

guy arriving tomorrow.

Dang shoulda waited for the Laser telly.

How'd you ggo Vidiotic? Sure is a bad run...

As for Laser TV, why would that be any more reliable?

Upscale DVD or SD material looks pretty good but Samsung is best with BD or HD-DVD.

I am using DVDO VP50 video scaler that upscale everything to 1080p and this is similar

to performance you can expect from DVD player like Oppo 983.

I was in a local electrical shop (radio rentals) and they have a unscaling panasonic. Would oppo be better than regular brands?

thanks again :)

I was in a local electrical shop (radio rentals) and they have a unscaling panasonic. Would oppo be better than regular brands?

thanks again :)

Very few player under $2000 would have equal or better PQ than Oppo. Oppo DVD 983 uses one of the best deinterlacing and upscaling chipset from Anchor Bay Technology. Much of the video processing technology used in 983 is directly from DVDO scaler VP30+ABT 102 addon cards. I have been a long time user of DVDO scaler and the only product range that I think can compete with Oppo in PQ are the denon X930/X940 range of DVD players and Toshiba XE1 HD-DVD player. The first batch of 983 were sold for $450 and they are obviously more expensive than run of mill upscale dvd players from Sony, Panasonic and Pioneer but these products are targeted at videophiles who has more money and want the best quality dvd playback on a HD/Full HD displaying device.

Soory for noob question gents but this TV Channel selection is giving me some issues and frustration. I have deleted the stations and radios that I no longer require. I wish to change the Channels that the TV allocated them on the " Auto Store Process" ie Ten HD is Channel 1 & I wish to have this channel as number 10. I am looking at the Booklet pages 16 through 21 and nothing is there. Page 17 the bottom half of the "Maunal Store" I cannot access this screen at all to allocate number. Even the boss lady has had a look. I am doing something basically wrong but what??

I used the autoscan when we got the tv 2 weeks ago

Once again, apolgies for the noob query

Hey AC-Jacko, I want to do the same thing with my new P9, did you get a solution to this?? Thanks.

How'd you ggo Vidiotic? Sure is a bad run...

As for Laser TV, why would that be any more reliable?

Hi diesel,

sorry for late reply.

Yeah we had Samsung's contract repair guy come

out and replace a whole mainboard.

It actually sounds better than before.

Maybe board was dodgy from the start.

I did notice when the old board was out that one of the heatsinks on the second biggest

chip was not located properly.looked like it had been not stuck on properly at factory

or had got hot and melted glue so it started to slide off.

Probably the sound chip :angry2:

Anyway all fixed and must say picture is awesome.to me ar least.

As regards Laser TV.if i bought one no doubt it would last a week.

I was really just joking though after reading about them being the next gen of panels.

Cheers,

Shane.

Is anyone playing GTA4 on a Xbox 360 on the P9? I only hooked a 360 up to this machine last week and the juddery unsmoothness of GTA4 is a bit dissapointing. Was wondering what other P9 owners think of the tv when playing fast action games on ps3 or 360? Are they smooth enough?

My wife complains about juddery movement on the P9, mostly with tv shows but I dont know if its the source or the tv. I dont notice it too badly. I just dont think we are yet at a stage of perfectly fluid movement in big plasmas yet, what do others think?

One other thing, I was sure there was a setting somewhere on a menu, for games? I cant seem to find it now though and god knows where the manual is!

Any tips on game settings for best smoothness, that would be cool so I can tune the 360 in a bit better.

Other than that, its been a great tv really, never needed to call a service guy out on it.

regards

Justin

Is anyone playing GTA4 on a Xbox 360 on the P9? I only hooked a 360 up to this machine last week and the juddery unsmoothness of GTA4 is a bit dissapointing. Was wondering what other P9 owners think of the tv when playing fast action games on ps3 or 360? Are they smooth enough?

My wife complains about juddery movement on the P9, mostly with tv shows but I dont know if its the source or the tv. I dont notice it too badly. I just dont think we are yet at a stage of perfectly fluid movement in big plasmas yet, what do others think?

One other thing, I was sure there was a setting somewhere on a menu, for games? I cant seem to find it now though and god knows where the manual is!

Any tips on game settings for best smoothness, that would be cool so I can tune the 360 in a bit better.

Other than that, its been a great tv really, never needed to call a service guy out on it.

regards

Justin

Justin, I am using my Xbox 360 via my PS50P91FDX and have absolutely no complaints... works wonderfully. I don't use game mode all the time because if I forget to set it back to standard my wife and kids end up watching movies on the 360 in game mode, which looks yuck (they wouldn't care less, but game mode tends to increase the sharpness, colour and contrast). It's accessed under the plug and play menu - right button, scroll down and you'll see it on or around the second page down. I don't use it as much now as I used to.

It's a good mode for shooters since it tends to improve definition in some cases but it doesn't look as natural as non game mode. I use Home Theatre PC mode for my 360 and that tends to help - since we watch our movies through the 360 via VGA (it upscales DVD's to 1080P if you go via VGA).

But anyway, back to the original question - no, I have no complaints with fast action scenes on the 360 via my P9... I love it! Maybe try changing your 360 settings - set it to 1920x1080P, set colour range (or whatever it's called) to Wide and you should be fine. The only complaint I have about my TV is that it has somehow changed the input order around which means I need to re-program my Logitech Harmony... and it is painful when changing inputs as it keeps timing out and appearing to switch off... but that's another story and unrelated to this.

Justin, I am using my Xbox 360 via my PS50P91FDX and have absolutely no complaints... works wonderfully. I don't use game mode all the time because if I forget to set it back to standard my wife and kids end up watching movies on the 360 in game mode, which looks yuck (they wouldn't care less, but game mode tends to increase the sharpness, colour and contrast). It's accessed under the plug and play menu - right button, scroll down and you'll see it on or around the second page down. I don't use it as much now as I used to.

It's a good mode for shooters since it tends to improve definition in some cases but it doesn't look as natural as non game mode. I use Home Theatre PC mode for my 360 and that tends to help - since we watch our movies through the 360 via VGA (it upscales DVD's to 1080P if you go via VGA).

But anyway, back to the original question - no, I have no complaints with fast action scenes on the 360 via my P9... I love it! Maybe try changing your 360 settings - set it to 1920x1080P, set colour range (or whatever it's called) to Wide and you should be fine. The only complaint I have about my TV is that it has somehow changed the input order around which means I need to re-program my Logitech Harmony... and it is painful when changing inputs as it keeps timing out and appearing to switch off... but that's another story and unrelated to this.

Hi simopimo, thanks for the reply.

Is your P9 connected to the 360 with VGA? I read somewhere that sometimes this makes the games smoother for some reason? What resolution do you get on vga? I have mine connected with component, I wonder if HSDMI would make it smoother or faster? I doubt it though.

Ive tried the game mode, didnt seem to do anything really. Is the P9 50hz or 60 hz? I cant remember. Anyway, I will try some faster games (when I get them! ) on the machine and see what they look like, I think its a combination issue with grand theft auto 4 and the P9 being a large plasma, although you said yours is fine, so be interesting to see what yours is like with GTA4, you better go buy it, its a kick ass game )

regards

Justin

Is the P9 50hz or 60 hz? I cant remember.

Depends on the source. I play DivX thru my DVD player and sometimes it's 50Hz and other times 60Hz. But DVDs from my player is 50Hz. 50Hz seems to be smoother on my P9 IMO but I wasn't really looking hard.

Is the P9 50hz or 60 hz? I cant remember.

Depends on the source. I play DivX thru my DVD player and sometimes it's 50Hz and other times 60Hz. But DVDs from my player is 60Hz. 50Hz seems to be smoother on my P9 IMO but I wasn't really looking hard.

Hi simopimo, thanks for the reply.

Is your P9 connected to the 360 with VGA? I read somewhere that sometimes this makes the games smoother for some reason? What resolution do you get on vga? I have mine connected with component, I wonder if HSDMI would make it smoother or faster? I doubt it though.

Ive tried the game mode, didnt seem to do anything really. Is the P9 50hz or 60 hz? I cant remember. Anyway, I will try some faster games (when I get them! ) on the machine and see what they look like, I think its a combination issue with grand theft auto 4 and the P9 being a large plasma, although you said yours is fine, so be interesting to see what yours is like with GTA4, you better go buy it, its a kick ass game )

regards

Justin

Justin,

Yes, I am using VGA for my 360. I know that component is also an option, but component does not allow DVD upscaling to 1080P and since I do not have a separate DVD player, I wanted the better DVD performance via VGA. I'm not sure that VGA would make games smoother than component however, and I don't have an HDMI-capable 360 (mine was purchased June 2006). If I had an HDMI model I would definitely run the 360 via HDMI, so if you have that option available, order yourself a cable from foxtail (www.ezyhd.com) or Selby (www.selbyacoustics.com.au).

The P9 does 60Hz. If you press the info button on the TV remote whilst the 360 is running through it, it will tell you what frequency and resolution you are running at. You can always set it manually on the 360 via the setup blade. It should run nicely on 1368x720 as well. A mate with the Panasonic 50" full HD plasma had to run the 360 on VGA at 720P because his plasma only supported 1080P via HDMI. At least we have the option available with VGA as well. I haven't tried GTA4 yet - I need to "run that one by the Minister of Finance and Warfare" and see if I can push it through Parliament. As the Minister of Defence in my household, usually I end up defending myself from other unrelated matters and therefore have trouble justifying my position in relation to matters such as new release games!! Those who are married with kids would understand...

Anyway back to the point, I am looking forward to trying GTA4 and when I get around to it I will let you know how it looks. I'm not using a genuine VGA cable - I'm using a third party cable so it wasn't too expensive. Give it a try!

Justin,

Yes, I am using VGA for my 360. I know that component is also an option, but component does not allow DVD upscaling to 1080P and since I do not have a separate DVD player, I wanted the better DVD performance via VGA. I'm not sure that VGA would make games smoother than component however, and I don't have an HDMI-capable 360 (mine was purchased June 2006). If I had an HDMI model I would definitely run the 360 via HDMI, so if you have that option available, order yourself a cable from foxtail (www.ezyhd.com) or Selby (www.selbyacoustics.com.au).

The P9 does 60Hz. If you press the info button on the TV remote whilst the 360 is running through it, it will tell you what frequency and resolution you are running at. You can always set it manually on the 360 via the setup blade. It should run nicely on 1368x720 as well. A mate with the Panasonic 50" full HD plasma had to run the 360 on VGA at 720P because his plasma only supported 1080P via HDMI. At least we have the option available with VGA as well. I haven't tried GTA4 yet - I need to "run that one by the Minister of Finance and Warfare" and see if I can push it through Parliament. As the Minister of Defence in my household, usually I end up defending myself from other unrelated matters and therefore have trouble justifying my position in relation to matters such as new release games!! Those who are married with kids would understand...

Anyway back to the point, I am looking forward to trying GTA4 and when I get around to it I will let you know how it looks. I'm not using a genuine VGA cable - I'm using a third party cable so it wasn't too expensive. Give it a try!

Well this minister of finance bought new horses a couple weeks ago and so last weekend I went out with my 2 boys and grabbed a gta4 360 pack and a guitar hero 2 pack! And the minister didnt even ask how much it was, I was gob smacked! Im not finished yet though, let me tell you! Havent even got a proper stand for the P9 its just sitting on a box in the corner, I got a wall bracket for it but weve put it in a position now in a corner so cant even use that!

I think you have to get the 360 hdmi cables and not the generic ones unless you make an after market customisation of them due to the 360 configuration of the wires. To be honest the picture looks very sharp, just the juttery stuff in this game I dont like.

There is another matter that Ive started to notice on the P9, and I wonder if anyone else has noticed it or have worked out a fix for it. When things move ont he screen it takes a moment to become focused. For example I was watching my son play sega rally on the 360 last night and you can see how the objects are blury before they actually come into focus. If you see some action on screen often it wont focus until they are still. Im robably not explaining it right, maybe its the response time of the panel? I didnt even check that stat out when I got the P9. There are even some options I havent messed with on the P9 I could try I suppose. I will wait until I get GRID, the latest racing game and see how the blury and or jutter is on that game.

regards

Justin

I've had mine for 3 weeks now and haven't noticed any juttering, my only problem is a blue line or sometimes green line that appears at the very bottom of the TV (could be my HTCP not the panel) and a very annoying crackling/poppiing sound that's just started happening. Is this the capacitors or something in the TV? Happens when it's on and for like 30 mins after I have turned it off... no buzzing sound at all though which is good.

Does this popping sound fix itself or can the technicians fix it?

Is there any disadvantage to this only having HDMI 1.2 (As per the spec page?) also does it have HDCP?

I was going to pick up the new Panasonic 80A but I saw one in person today and found the picture to be pretty bad.

The Samsung PS50P91FDX 50" 1080p Plasma appears to be a pretty good value unit recently.

I thought I heard that this model has now been discontinued, and thus there would be a new similar Samsung model out (in Australia) soon?

Any advice on this?

The Samsung PS50P91FDX 50" 1080p Plasma appears to be a pretty good value unit recently.

I thought I heard that this model has now been discontinued, and thus there would be a new similar Samsung model out (in Australia) soon?

Any advice on this?

Don't know about the new model but I paid $2547 for a 50" true HD Plasma + a White 32" LCD (Plasma took 3 or so weeks to arrive in March and LCD took around 9 weeks April) - fantastic value - which is one of the main reasons I traded up from my 2yr old 42" plasma :)

I've had mine for 3 weeks now and haven't noticed any juttering, my only problem is a blue line or sometimes green line that appears at the very bottom of the TV (could be my HTCP not the panel) and a very annoying crackling/poppiing sound that's just started happening. Is this the capacitors or something in the TV? Happens when it's on and for like 30 mins after I have turned it off... no buzzing sound at all though which is good.

Does this popping sound fix itself or can the technicians fix it?

Crackling is normal according the manual (page 2 point 4). Sound like plastic expanding as th TV warms up.