Sign in to follow this  
jd71

Samsung P9 (ps50p91fdx) Owners Thread

On another quick note, I notice people stating the number of hours their panel has been used for.

Is there a counter somewhere in the menu, or is this purely an estimate of its use?

Cheers

Scott

Copied from another thread:

Yes in the service menu.

To access the service menu

Turn off the power from the remote

Then press Info->Menu->Mute->Power

Accessing the service menu also resets all your saved settings !

OMG, I nearly died on the spot.

I went out from 3pm Christmas Eve until 5pm Christmad Day, to arrive home to find my beautilful new P9 turned on with No Signal and the component message in the top left hand corner burning itself into the screen.

I turned on my amp and sure enough it was burned it badly.

I could only assume the cat has rubbed against the on/off button and turned it on.

After madly browsing the web for a fix and flicking through the manual, I ran the White Wash screen from 6.30pm till 7am this morning.

Thankfully all traces of the burnt image has GONE.

One downfall I see with this TV (and I guess many others) is it doesnt have a physical proper on/off switch, just the "standby" button on the front of the unit.

I will now either make a hat out of the cat (joking) or turn the entire theatre system off at the wall before going out.

I hope this helps you all if you find yourself in the same situation. Rest assured the white wash feature works a treat.

Cheers

Scott

Wow thats bizarre, I agree it should have a proper off button, will have to remember that white wash thing if the need arises. Does yours make any buzzing or crackling noises from the back of set?

regards

Justin

Wow thats bizarre, I agree it should have a proper off button, will have to remember that white wash thing if the need arises. Does yours make any buzzing or crackling noises from the back of set?

regards

Justin

Hi Justin, as you know mine has a slight buzz (new one is quiter than the first one) but definately no crackling noises. The first one I had didn't make any crackling noises either. How loud and how often does it occur? Does it sound like expansion noises?

May be worth swapping the screen before you wall mount, or is it already up.

Mine has a slight buzz but it can only be heard when your basically right above the vents and it still happens when the tv is on in standby mode. The tv going into standby when you press the off button is my only real complaint about the tv as I was once told by a technician that it is bad to leave any electrical appliances on standby mode is this true?

Its nice to know the anti-burn technology works, I would have gone nuts if i saw a burnt image in the first week of a 5 year extended warranty which doesnt actually cover burn in.

Mine's on it's third day now - great set overall, that's caused some excitement and frustration all at once!

Best thing of all is I've reduced the cable clutter from the Pana 500a 42" that it replaced (and is currently an imposing beast in the bedroom!). Using the onboard tuner, and a PS3 with a single HDMI for all dvd/bd/game viewing/playing, and the occasional DivX that actually works (about a 70% success rate). With the trusty old pana xr25 digital amp.

Been stuffing around with all sorts of settings - the ones posted above produced a somewhat soft picture for my liking and some fluffy white crush (did I make that up?). Also played around with the CNET settings and wasn't overly impressed either (100 contrast?). Then I tried numerous little fiddles posted on AVS - and finally gave up.

So back to default everything went, I stopped stuffing around with all of the advanced settings and used my own judgment. Just about all 'enhancements' are switched off, contrast in the mid 80s, brightness/colour both in the mid 40s and sharpness in the 30-40 range. All else on default. Might give it a few more hours (about 20 so far) and give it another go in a few weeks. If anyone wants to post some calibrated settings with an external source, they would be most welcome.

But picture is absolutely stunning and further adjustment probably unneeded (without expert calibration). Can't believe I'm going to say this, but Dynamic (with severely reduced settings as above) on Cool1 provides the most vibrant colours, especially for daytime viewing - I have floor-to-ceiling windows for 2 out of 4 walls. Standard was a bit soft and I've settled on Movie (set on Warm2) for the best balanced picture.

Blu Ray via PS3 looks great as expected, managed to get rid of some substantial dot crawl by adjusting down a few things and getting rid of some of the enhancements - not sure if I'm 100% satisfied just yet, but certainly looks great. DVDs are quite good - a bit undecided if the 1080 upscaling of the PS3 is completely up to scratch. Some limited testing suggested a minimal difference between outputting 1080 as opposed to the standard 576 - in fact I think I preferred 576, but needs a bit more testing. The TV scaler certainly seems up to par and I'm not sure that I'd bother too much with an upscaling DVD player (unless it's some expensive reference).

EDIT: I think I'm noticing a slight 'pink' tint to the picture when compared to the pana - not sure if i'm just seeing things. Overall the quality is way better than the 500a (which is about 3 yrs old now?), blacks are miles ahead and I specifically bought the pana at the time because it was a recognized leader.

Otherwise all seems good. Justin, definitely haven't noticed any crackling either. The buzz seemed very noticeable at first, and seems a touch louder at switching on - then it subsides to s very soft humm, fan-type noise once getting to its nominal furnace-operating temperature (you can almost feel the heat by holding your hand a few cm from the set). The buzz is definitely NOT noticeable unless you have your head right up against it, specifically near the top right corner. Definitely unnoticeable from the couch (about 2.5 - 2.8m) even at low volume (the PS3 is louder).

Overall pretty impressed - now thinking the 58" might not have been a bad choice :). It's a great size for my bviewing distance, but it is in a pretty big open living area and not all that imposing - plus the more than 2x price difference :).

P

Edited by PeeJay

Hi Justin, as you know mine has a slight buzz (new one is quiter than the first one) but definately no crackling noises. The first one I had didn't make any crackling noises either. How loud and how often does it occur? Does it sound like expansion noises?

May be worth swapping the screen before you wall mount, or is it already up.

Hi Jared

Not wall mounted yet. I guess I want to make sure its fine before I do so. Its occasional crackling sound, sounds like a heat sink or something, just a little crack noise every now and then, I suppose its ok, but I will call Samsung to ask if its normal I guess. It pisses me off a bit as it would be nice to get a perfect product for something with a retail of just under 4 grand.

I cant hear the slightest buzz, but did hear crackling for a small period early on.

Other that that and the cat incident all is good.

Not wall mounted yet. I guess I want to make sure its fine before I do so. Its occasional crackling sound, sounds like a heat sink or something, just a little crack noise every now and then, I suppose its ok, but I will call Samsung to ask if its normal I guess. It pisses me off a bit as it would be nice to get a perfect product for something with a retail of just under 4 grand.

From page 2 of the manual:

The product is making a ‘cracking’ noise.

A ‘cracking’ noise may occur when the product contracts or expands due to a change of surrounding environment such as temperature or humidity. This is normal and not a defect of the unit.

From page 2 of the manual:

The product is making a ‘cracking’ noise.

A ‘cracking’ noise may occur when the product contracts or expands due to a change of surrounding environment such as temperature or humidity. This is normal and not a defect of the unit.

Wow, thanks Nathan, I read the inside of the manual, obviously not very well. Funny how no one else comments on cracking. Cheers for pointing this out, makes me feel better I spose, I am just hanging out to blow the crap out of the house with some nice surround setup, then I wont hear any crackling )

Wow, thanks Nathan, I read the inside of the manual, obviously not very well. Funny how no one else comments on cracking. Cheers for pointing this out, makes me feel better I spose, I am just hanging out to blow the crap out of the house with some nice surround setup, then I wont hear any crackling )

I had a careful read through the manual after a crack / popping sound on mine resulted in no picture any more :( Thats the only reason I found it.

With the weekend and public holidays as well I have now been 5 days with an essentially DOA TV in my living room...very depressing. Hopefully I can organise a replacement tomorrow.

bing lee was totally sold out when we purchased ours on the 23rd dec... they said they have 5 sets coming in on the 28th so we have secured one

cant wait to see this baby up and running

bing lee was totally sold out when we purchased ours on the 23rd dec... they said they have 5 sets coming in on the 28th so we have secured one

cant wait to see this baby up and running

any thoughts on what I should be able to pick one of these up for at the moment ?

I had a careful read through the manual after a crack / popping sound on mine resulted in no picture any more :( Thats the only reason I found it.

With the weekend and public holidays as well I have now been 5 days with an essentially DOA TV in my living room...very depressing. Hopefully I can organise a replacement tomorrow.

That sucks and I know exactly how you feel, I had a smashed one here for nearly two weeks waiting for a replacement,

any thoughts on what I should be able to pick one of these up for at the moment ?

Shoot for 2.5K with no extended warranty, that is the lowest on here and that would be a GREAT price, definitely gettable.

Otherwise all seems good. Justin, definitely haven't noticed any crackling either. The buzz seemed very noticeable at first, and seems a touch louder at switching on - then it subsides to s very soft humm, fan-type noise once getting to its nominal furnace-operating temperature (you can almost feel the heat by holding your hand a few cm from the set). The buzz is definitely NOT noticeable unless you have your head right up against it, specifically near the top right corner. Definitely unnoticeable from the couch (about 2.5 - 2.8m) even at low volume (the PS3 is louder).

Overall pretty impressed - now thinking the 58" might not have been a bad choice :). It's a great size for my bviewing distance, but it is in a pretty big open living area and not all that imposing - plus the more than 2x price difference :).

P

I was just wondering what the time length is before your buzzig turns into a hum? The buzzing is starting to annoy me and can be heard @ 2.5-3m away on a moderate low vollume, it changes intensity when you change channels, when ads come on etc. but it does seem to settle a bit now and then. I really dont want to return it as its russian roullette if I will get another buzzy one or a bad pixel or something, annoying to say the least.

Hmm, perhaps about 5-10 mins? It is definitely more apparent in that time and gets louder when there is more white, or a single dominant bright colour on screen, I've noticed.

It's definitely not what I would call a buzz afterwards though, seems like something that's there until it gets to operating temperature (my extremely unscientific observation). Very slight fan-like hum afterwards.

I've just noticed how much louder the old pana buzzes now that it is watched at extremely low volume at a 2m distance... and that's constant.

P

That sucks and I know exactly how you feel, I had a smashed one here for nearly two weeks waiting for a replacement,

Just spoke to Myer and they are now completely sold out, so I cant get a replacement until mid January at the earliest. This is fantastic...you pay $3k for something that lasts less than 24 hours, then I have to wait nearly a month to get a new one :angry2:

Just spoke to Myer and they are now completely sold out, so I cant get a replacement until mid January at the earliest. This is fantastic...you pay $3k for something that lasts less than 24 hours, then I have to wait nearly a month to get a new one :angry2:

Depending on how long you have had it, maybe you should ask for a refund. Definitely should get refund if DOA. I have heard the price is going down, sometime in January. Not sure if price is going down when the free LCD offer is over on the 15th, or sooner, but definitely a very nice price decrease.

Is it normal for this plasma to produce a fair bit of heat? i mean the screen is quick warm to touch and the back is hot after a couple of hours watching??

Hi all,

I posted this somewhere else in the forum earlier today but I think this thread is more appropriate. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

This is my first post and I think I have a problem. I went into the service menu of my Sammy P9 wanting to check the total hours of usage. I was really careful and made sure that I did not change any settings. However, I was not able to find the usage information. Anyway, to be sure I did not stuff anything up, I reset all settings in the service menu. Now I am regretting doing that as I am unsure whether resetting the settings actually changes the settings that were originally there. I had to re-tune the channels after doing that and everything seems to work fine. I also managed to find the usage information now but it is now displayed at 0hr. This is probably due to my reset.

Can someone please post the original settings in the service menu (all items) so that I can compare them against my "reset" settings to make sure everything is as expected? If not, is there somewhere on the net I can access these default settings? Please be careful not to change anything on yours. Your help is much appreciated. BTW, I am in NSW if that helps. Thanks again.

Is it normal for this plasma to produce a fair bit of heat? i mean the screen is quick warm to touch and the back is hot after a couple of hours watching??

Think of the heating savings over winter... :)

It does run very hot....

P

Ive got the same problem as a previous post about the htpc I realise burn in issues are far lower than in the past but is LCD still going to be better if im hooking up a PC everynow and then. It will mainly be used for a TV but I cant go past the 1080p res for some occasional gaming.

Also where abouts did anyone get one for $2500 the cheapest ive seen is $3100

Think of the heating savings over winter... :)

It does run very hot....

P

I think Samsung is a bit over ambitous by not putting fans behind the P9,

Both Pana. PZ and Pio. LX 1080p plasma has 3 fans behind the unit.

Perfectly normal. A 500W device naturally produces a fair bit of heat.

I think Samsung is a bit over ambitous by not putting fans behind the P9,

Both Pana. PZ and Pio. LX 1080p plasma has 3 fans behind the unit.

Im glad it normal thanks for the confirm

No fan = less noise :) as long the plasma doesn't melt im happy. Well aircond will be running when it hot any way and when it cold like some 1 above mention u get a free heater lol.