Samsung P9 (ps50p91fdx) Owners Thread

I have an xbox360 plugged in HDMI 1, ps3 in HDMI2 and Foxtel IQ2 in HDMI3.

After about 5 - 10 minutes watching the foxtel the bottom of the screen jumps up slightly and there is a thin green line the whole way across the bottom. If I turn the tv off and back on (don't touch the foxtel) it is fine for another 5 - 10 minutes.

I have tried plugging the HDMI cable into the xbox and ps3 and get a "mode not supported" message. Occasionally I was getting a bright lime green screen from the xbox, sometime with the xbox dashboard visible through the green...

Any ideas, anyone else had troubles with their HDMI3 input?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an xbox360 plugged in HDMI 1, ps3 in HDMI2 and Foxtel IQ2 in HDMI3.

After about 5 - 10 minutes watching the foxtel the bottom of the screen jumps up slightly and there is a thin green line the whole way across the bottom. If I turn the tv off and back on (don't touch the foxtel) it is fine for another 5 - 10 minutes.

I have tried plugging the HDMI cable into the xbox and ps3 and get a "mode not supported" message. Occasionally I was getting a bright lime green screen from the xbox, sometime with the xbox dashboard visible through the green...

Any ideas, anyone else had troubles with their HDMI3 input?

na tazz the only drama i have with mine is the sound keeps cutting in and out when i run optical out from my plasma direct to my amp when im watching HD ...it has done it on both amps that i have had and it has apparently been fixed up but still doin it...i have changed cords but still the same stuffed if i know

Can someone tell me if there is a seperate thread for the 60 inch Samsung plasma's?

Thanks in advance

Hey supa, wanted to ask if you think your new screen is alot better than the last, i am thinking of upgrading my p9 to the 63 would like your comments on pq differences etc cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, been a while since I posted in here! :) ..

Question (sorry if its been asked in here, but its like a trying to find a needle in a haystack), have any of you had any issues with your P9 turning itself on just for fun by itself?

To claify what i mean is, the TV is in stand by mode (turned off from the remote) and the screen is completely off. Then the noise comes on when you turn on your TV but the picture does not display. The screen shows a dark grey colour on the TV but thats about it. The picture does not come up, it just turns on and goes to that intermediate position you could say. Its happened to me around 3 times now.

Has this happened to anybody else? And if so, how did you fix it or any recommendations to suss out what the problem is?

Cheers

Sanchez

Pretty sure you have the automatic standby software update turned on, which means that your tv is turning on just to check if there is any software to update then turning off. Change this in the menu i forget where it is just look for the software update thing and turn it off, i had same problem :rolleyes:

Hi Guys, been a while since I posted in here! :) ..

Question (sorry if its been asked in here, but its like a trying to find a needle in a haystack), have any of you had any issues with your P9 turning itself on just for fun by itself?

To claify what i mean is, the TV is in stand by mode (turned off from the remote) and the screen is completely off. Then the noise comes on when you turn on your TV but the picture does not display. The screen shows a dark grey colour on the TV but thats about it. The picture does not come up, it just turns on and goes to that intermediate position you could say. Its happened to me around 3 times now.

Has this happened to anybody else? And if so, how did you fix it or any recommendations to suss out what the problem is?

Cheers

Sanchez

• 5 months later...

Hey Guys,

I have a PS50P91FD thats almost out of warranty and have had issues with green sparkles in black scenes when the TV heats up, probably after 30-60mins after being turned on. I got the tech support guy out to have a look at it and they swapped over the motherboard in the TV but due to the power being tunred off and the TV cooling down I could not test it properly while he was still here, anyway the problem is still occuring. I read back a few posts and see that others are having similar issues but I get the problem over HDMI (HTPC) and component (XBOX 360). It does seem much more of a problem in HD stuff or much more noticeable and only appears in areas which are black or very dark. Does anyone know what this issue might be caused by if it is both HDMI and component? Also I still get a crackling noise as well after it has heated up, I mentioned it to the guy who swapped over the motherboard and he bent that metal strips at the back but it is still doing it, any suggestions here?

thanks

• 2 months later...
Hey Guys,

I have a PS50P91FD thats almost out of warranty and have had issues with green sparkles in black scenes when the TV heats up, probably after 30-60mins after being turned on. I got the tech support guy out to have a look at it and they swapped over the motherboard in the TV but due to the power being tunred off and the TV cooling down I could not test it properly while he was still here, anyway the problem is still occuring. I read back a few posts and see that others are having similar issues but I get the problem over HDMI (HTPC) and component (XBOX 360). It does seem much more of a problem in HD stuff or much more noticeable and only appears in areas which are black or very dark. Does anyone know what this issue might be caused by if it is both HDMI and component? Also I still get a crackling noise as well after it has heated up, I mentioned it to the guy who swapped over the motherboard and he bent that metal strips at the back but it is still doing it, any suggestions here?

thanks

Haven't been to this forum for ages. Thought I would log in to see if anyone has mentioned green pixels flashing about in dark scenes when watching high def playback and I found I am not alone. I noticed this the other night when watching the new Star Trek on Blu-ray. The picture was full of green (and a few red) pixels in all the dark scenes. It was BAD. I tried connecting my PS3 to the TV using 3 different HDMI cables and it happened with each cable. I have been looking on the net and it seems this is a problem with a lot of plasma's (seems mainly LG). One solution is to get the voltage adjusted but many forums claim this is a temporary fix and that the only way to stop the problem is to change the Y-SUS, Z-SUS and control boards (whatever that means). I am also still experiencing the buzzing sound even though I had a tech fix it ages ago. The tech replaced the copper clip thingies and it was OK for about 10 days and then came back. It doesn't really bother me anymore but I am going to ring Samsung tomorrow and have a go at them about the green sparkles I may as well get the buzzing fixed again! Now I understand why Samsung only offer 2 year warranty on Plasma's !!!

p.s. I don't think the cracking noise you are hearing is anything to do with the metal clips that the tech would have bent, it is the heat sinks causing the crackling. The metal strips cause buzzing when the TV is cold and the heat sinks cause cracking when the tv is hot. I am not aware of a fix for the crackling sound.

They couldn't fix mine so Samsung are swapping it for a new PS50B850 which I am pretty happy about and only a couple of months away from end of warranty. Should get it in the next week or so.

Also I do think this is a fairly common problem with Plasmas one of my mate has a 4-5 year old NEC Plasma and it has the same problem, if I ever have this problem again with a Plasma I will be switching to LCD.

Edited by Brent80

They couldn't fix mine so Samsung are swapping it for a new PS50B850 which I am pretty happy about and only a couple of months away from end of warranty. Should get it in the next week or so.

Also I do think this is a fairly common problem with Plasmas one of my mate has a 4-5 year old NEC Plasma and it has the same problem, if I ever have this problem again with a Plasma I will be switching to LCD.

Interesting they are swapping.....they told me they couldn't do that!

Gave me a full refund however..... I added $2k to this and got the 63 inch!!! :lol:

Hey, i had the same problem with mine the techs said it is called maldischarge and affects 1 in 10 plasmas they ordered a y distain board but didnt need it as they adjusted it in workshop, they also said that pq would be heaps better as it was not adjusted properly at time of maufacture , i agree as the picture is 10 times better my p9 rocks. cheers

In the early days, I had the buzzing & sparkles issue. Also if there was a light static object in a black scene, you would get the effect similar to oil on water streaming left to right with a trail made by an object in the water. I found that this occurred only when using HDMI 1. Got the tech out & he replaced the board & bent the copper fins up to stop the buzzing. Months later the oil effect came back. I didn't bother to get them out again & now just use HDMI 2. Later still the buzzing returned. This time I just removed the back myself & put a small spot of left over CPU thermal grease on all the contact points. Haven't had an issue since. While I was doing that, I also took the opportunity when screwing back the stand to pull it out a smidgen so that the screen would sit level again (something the repair guy buggered up when he worked on it)

Okay. Thought I would post an update to my mission to get the green pixel problem fixed.

I had the exact same thing happen as the bloke a couple of posts up, when the tech cam the TV had been off and I couldn't show hin the problem. He believed me however and said they will replace the power board. A couple of days later they replaced the board. This time I left the TV on before the tech came and he saw the problem. He replaced the power board and lit all looked good so he left. 20 minutes later the green pixels appeared dancing around all the dark areas in all their glory. As an added bonus the new power board buzzed loudly. It sounded like a cricket in the room with me. I phoned Samsung immediatly and they said they would send the tech back. This time he said they would replace the whole panel. This happened today. Basically everything in the inside of the TV was replaced (including the noisy power board). Tonight the bloody pixels came back !!!

Now I found the following: When I switch to PS3 and see the pixels , if I go into the PS3 menu and change the output to 720p and then back to 1080p they go away. What the hell?

I really don't know what to do now warranty runs out next month :(

Okay. Thought I would post an update to my mission to get the green pixel problem fixed.

I had the exact same thing happen as the bloke a couple of posts up, when the tech cam the TV had been off and I couldn't show hin the problem. He believed me however and said they will replace the power board. A couple of days later they replaced the board. This time I left the TV on before the tech came and he saw the problem. He replaced the power board and lit all looked good so he left. 20 minutes later the green pixels appeared dancing around all the dark areas in all their glory. As an added bonus the new power board buzzed loudly. It sounded like a cricket in the room with me. I phoned Samsung immediatly and they said they would send the tech back. This time he said they would replace the whole panel. This happened today. Basically everything in the inside of the TV was replaced (including the noisy power board). Tonight the bloody pixels came back !!!

Now I found the following: When I switch to PS3 and see the pixels , if I go into the PS3 menu and change the output to 720p and then back to 1080p they go away. What the hell?

I really don't know what to do now warranty runs out next month :(

I take it that you are using HDMI 1? Have you tried using HDMI 2? As I mentioned in my post, I found that using that port fixed my issue when using my PS3.

I take it that you are using HDMI 1? Have you tried using HDMI 2? As I mentioned in my post, I found that using that port fixed my issue when using my PS3.

I'm actually going through an AV receiver so all my equipment goes into the receiver and I only have one HDMI into the TV(HDMI 1). However when I got the green dots I tried different HDMI cables in all the HDMI ports 1,2 and 3 I connected the PS3 directly to the ports bypassing the reciever but the problem was evident in all ports with all cables. I haven't had the green pixel problem since changing the PS3 to 720P and back to 1080P but I'm sure they will rear their ugly green pixely heads soon.

I'm actually going through an AV receiver so all my equipment goes into the receiver and I only have one HDMI into the TV(HDMI 1). However when I got the green dots I tried different HDMI cables in all the HDMI ports 1,2 and 3 I connected the PS3 directly to the ports bypassing the reciever but the problem was evident in all ports with all cables. I haven't had the green pixel problem since changing the PS3 to 720P and back to 1080P but I'm sure they will rear their ugly green pixely heads soon.

OK, so it happened again last night. Green pixels like green snow in all the dark areas of the picture. Changing resolution in the PS3 did not help. They were visable in 1080P, 1080i and 720P. I couldn't see them in the 567 resoltion but they came back when I changed it one of the other resolutions. I could see them in my PS3 as well as Foxtel through HDMI and Component. So that rules out it being a PS3 problem or an HDMI issue. I turned the TV off for about 10 minutes and they were gone when I turned it back on.

I think I am going to ring Samsung now and see what they have to about this. My problem is that it occurs at random intervals so I cannot guarantee that I can show a tech if they send one out again.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up getting my replacement TV (PS50B850) great picture, looks very nice but has the worst buzzing sound. Tech came out again and heard it and said he couldn't fix it now I will be pushing for a refund.

Kinda done with Samsung I think it's impossible for them to make a TV that doesn't have problems. I will replace it with either a Panasonic (Plasma) or Sony (LCD)

I ended up getting my replacement TV (PS50B850) great picture, looks very nice but has the worst buzzing sound. Tech came out again and heard it and said he couldn't fix it now I will be pushing for a refund.

Kinda done with Samsung I think it's impossible for them to make a TV that doesn't have problems. I will replace it with either a Panasonic (Plasma) or Sony (LCD)

A UK web forum had this to say about the PS50B850 buzzing: "Serious buzzing (Samsung after denying problem, now advising engineers to retrofit dampers to logic board)" so maybe you can get them, to fix it.

Samsung have had my set for about a week and a half. They didn't bring me a loan unit like they said they would so minus points for them there just as I have been telling people how happy I have been with their support. When I phoned for an update they said the tech had fixed the problem by replacing the power supply. If by this they mean they have replaced the power board then this will be the fourth power board and it does NOT fix the problem. They said it will be dlivered tomorrow. In a way I hope it is fixed as after what happned to you I do not want a replacement that comes with new problems and I don't feel for shopping for a new set after a refund.

• 4 weeks later...

Well my old issues with the green screen were fixed... thanks to the guys that emptied the house on us Jan '09.....

I now have a PS50A650T1FXXY... I have the occassional coloured pixel interference with this model with my ps3 via HDMI in 1080p mode. I run everything through my Yamaha 1900 amplifier so there is only the one HDMI back to the tv but the PS3 is the only item I have this issue with... I turn both the amp and the tv off and on and it usually fixes it first time and I don't see it again for days/weeks.... Apart from that I haven't had any issues.

• 2 weeks later...
OK, so it happened again last night. Green pixels like green snow in all the dark areas of the picture. Changing resolution in the PS3 did not help. They were visable in 1080P, 1080i and 720P. I couldn't see them in the 567 resoltion but they came back when I changed it one of the other resolutions. I could see them in my PS3 as well as Foxtel through HDMI and Component. So that rules out it being a PS3 problem or an HDMI issue. I turned the TV off for about 10 minutes and they were gone when I turned it back on.

I think I am going to ring Samsung now and see what they have to about this. My problem is that it occurs at random intervals so I cannot guarantee that I can show a tech if they send one out again.

I've been having a fair few issues with my p91 since the start of December. They've been out 4 times so far (3 in the last 5wks, 1st time at the start 2008 with the sparkling picture issue). Was getting random white pixels all over dark areas on all sources. The tech replaced the mainboard again, then another visit for the panel, and then another for the power and voltage adjustment. The white pixels have just been made black and now affects all mid-tones instead. Got a call from Samsung directly last week, told them of the issue and they told me to report back to the tech and if they can't fix it, then Sammy will look after me.

Reported to the tech today and just waiting now. As much as I like plasma's, wondering if its worth grabbing an LED instead. A real shame about all this, really like Samsung and the TV was great for so long....

• 2 weeks later...
I've been having a fair few issues with my p91 since the start of December. They've been out 4 times so far (3 in the last 5wks, 1st time at the start 2008 with the sparkling picture issue). Was getting random white pixels all over dark areas on all sources. The tech replaced the mainboard again, then another visit for the panel, and then another for the power and voltage adjustment. The white pixels have just been made black and now affects all mid-tones instead. Got a call from Samsung directly last week, told them of the issue and they told me to report back to the tech and if they can't fix it, then Sammy will look after me.

Reported to the tech today and just waiting now. As much as I like plasma's, wondering if its worth grabbing an LED instead. A real shame about all this, really like Samsung and the TV was great for so long....

So after many many ... many phonecalls to Samsung I finaly got given store credit. I am no longer a Samsung owner and have jumped into the Panasonic camp. Samsungs policy is 3 attempts and then a replacement or refund. In my case the technicians replaced my panel with a dodgy one that had burn-in and dead pixels !! To cut a long story short I got store credit for the full amount I paid for the TV almost 2 years ago including a refund on the extended warranty. I was not happy with the amount of phone calls I had to make in order to progress the refund but I am happy that Samsung came to the party.

In your case it sounds like they have had their 3 attempts at repairing the unit so you could push for a refund or replacement. Good Luck !

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well, my P9 is out of warranty, and the green sparkle is driving me nuts.

Can anyone tell me of a Melbourne based repair centre that actually knows about this problem?

Sorry to hear this mate. It's very unlucky you didn't catch it while the set was still under warranty.

Sound & Vision are the lot that tried to fix mine. It turns out they misdiagnosed the issue with my set and were trying to fix something else which explains why they didn't fix it. On my set they replaced the power supply and the panel. Then they realised the problem was with something else but I got fed up and didn't let them try again. I suspect that the board they needed to replace is the board that has the firmware and all your picture settings etc on it. I say this beacuse even after replacing the panel my set retained all my settings so it maust have stayed in place.

The last engineer that came out said the problem they were trying to fix would have only caused a small section of the screen to have green sparkles, my set had them in all the dark areas. Also he said that the problem they thought it was would have been there all the time, on my set it was only there after the TV had been on a few hours and then after many hours would go away.

Your best bet is to ask for a quote of how much to fix the problem, then give them the info you have and let them have a go. If they can't fix it then you don't pay and if it takes them a few goes to fix it then make sure you hold them to the original quote. Best case scenario is that they will stuff the unit up like they did mine and give you a replacement. Just make sure that there is no small print saying that they are not responsible for any damage to your set.

So after many many ... many phonecalls to Samsung I finaly got given store credit. I am no longer a Samsung owner and have jumped into the Panasonic camp. Samsungs policy is 3 attempts and then a replacement or refund. In my case the technicians replaced my panel with a dodgy one that had burn-in and dead pixels !! To cut a long story short I got store credit for the full amount I paid for the TV almost 2 years ago including a refund on the extended warranty. I was not happy with the amount of phone calls I had to make in order to progress the refund but I am happy that Samsung came to the party.

In your case it sounds like they have had their 3 attempts at repairing the unit so you could push for a refund or replacement. Good Luck !

Hey there Bumblefreak, I had pretty similar problems to you - sparkles in the picture when it warms up, same TV (I think I remember you buying at around the same time as me actually). I didn't do anything about it for a while until about 2 months ago - reported it to Samsung who put me onto a local repairer. The local repairer was useless - no communication, complete lack of customer service. After 6 weeks or so of delays, Samsung called us and said they were giving us a new TV! An 850 series 8. It just arrived today. Very happy with this, excellent customer service and this time we didn't have to push.

I remember when everyone was buying the P91 back in early 2008 and hearing about all of the delays and difficulties dealing with Samsung. Well this time I am very happy - great service and well handled by Samsung. It's a shame that they didn't give you a new TV straight away. We didn't even have a tech visit us - they replaced it sight unseen. Must be a common issue and judging from the posts here, it certainly appears to be that way.

I'd buy another Samsung for sure, although I understand why you jumped camp.