Samsung P9 (ps50p91fdx) Owners Thread

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Samsung PS50P91FDX 50" 1080p Plasma appears to be a pretty good value unit recently.

I thought I heard that this model has now been discontinued, and thus there would be a new similar Samsung model out (in Australia) soon?

Any advice on this?

At the risk of sounding like a fanboi, if the new models are anywhere near the price of the P9 they'll be fantastic value. Although my bonus TV took a long time to arrive, it was an excellent deal. $3K for a 50" Full HD, 5 year warranty and a bonus 26"... and I'm very happy with the quality. If the new model is of similar quality then it'll be good value.

My only two disappointments are: 1) The input switching - very slow and it keeps switching itself off if it is powered on but there is no input on the current channel. Hopefully that's been fixed on the new model... and 2) The built in speakers don't have the greatest sound - good enough for general TV though.

If they have fixed those two issues with the new model then it would make a great deal even better.

As far as the 'crackling' sound is concerned, it just could be the aluminium heat shields expanding/contracting. This unit generates a lot of heat and thus needs good heat shields. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless the sounds gets worse.

I notice this is mentioned in the Samsung manuals too - is this common?

Does it always stop? I'm not a fan of noisy displays, it's normally due to cheap asian components being used during manufacture.

7 years ago, top end CRT's didn't buzz, 5 years ago they all buzzed :/

I notice this is mentioned in the Samsung manuals too - is this common?

Does it always stop? I'm not a fan of noisy displays, it's normally due to cheap asian components being used during manufacture.

7 years ago, top end CRT's didn't buzz, 5 years ago they all buzzed :/

Not sure what you mean by "cheap asian components". Last time I checked all these TVs we talk about with the exception of Philips come from Asia.

The buzz seems to be as a result of the design rather than "cheap" components. The Plasma buzz thread's got some pretty good info. Some are more susceptible to the noise than others.

Hi guys just wanted to post my setings for watching fta.I find these settings excellent for evening viewing.Try these let me know what you think.Firmware safa***********9

Movie

cont 63

bright 44

sharp 50

col 45

warm2

black adjust high

dynamic contrast low

gamma -1

col space auto

white bal r-offset 5

b-gain 14

my colour cont pink 10

green13

edge enhance off

just scan

digital n/r off

could someone confirm if this tv can do audio out via hdmi or does it have to be optical? just tried connecting it to my receiever and had no sound via hdmi.

has to be optical.

I didn't think there was a HDMI OUT on the back of that tv to begin with.

could someone confirm if this tv can do audio out via hdmi or does it have to be optical? just tried connecting it to my receiever and had no sound via hdmi.

This TV like other TVs does not have HDMI out and you need to connect the optical output on the TV to your receiver's optical in to get sound from its digital TV tuner. It has one optical output.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow up.

Had my tv since Dec '07. It initially had the white dot issue and the buzzing issue.

White dot issue (1080P @ 50/60Hz) was fixed with a replacement HDMI board.

Buzzing was fixed by tech whilst he had back off and was replacing the HDMI board. There are some copper coloured strips of metal which are touching the back panel. When you push on the back panel it seems to stop the buzzing as you are probably making the back panel/copper strip contact more and not getting the buzzing. The tech bent the copper strips back slightly so they don't touch/vibrate against the back panel. I don't know if the strips are there to transfer heat away and disperse via back panel... but by bending them slightly so they don't contact there is absolutely NO buzzing... It used to bug the hell out of me so am happy it doesn't buzz at all anymore.

Have had no other issues with tv so far and am very happy.

I also received the 32" LCD in lieu of the 26" which also made me happy.

Guys, what's the easiest (and cheapest) way for me to test the "white dots" issue?

At the moment I have no BlueRay, no Playstation 3, no nothing apart from the TV itself.

I'd like to know if I have the issue and get it fixed while I'm still underwarranty.

Can I just hire something, and if so, what's best to try?

Cheers,

Damian

Hi All

I've owned a p91 since the beginning of December 07... and am Very happy with the unit.

Just wondering if anyone is/has experienced an issue ive noticed.

With a PC or PS3 connected via HDMI, when switching to 24hz for HDDVD or Blue-Ray, the internal speakers make a very loud 'PSCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH' noise... kinda like a static noise from an untuned CRT on an analog channel.

Ive turned the internal speakers off, as i use an amp for all my sound.

Anyone had this occur before?

Guys, what's the easiest (and cheapest) way for me to test the "white dots" issue?

At the moment I have no BlueRay, no Playstation 3, no nothing apart from the TV itself.

I'd like to know if I have the issue and get it fixed while I'm still underwarranty.

Can I just hire something, and if so, what's best to try?

Cheers,

Damian

Do you know someone that can bring something around (HDMI 1080P @ 50 or 60 Hz input)?

Do you know someone that can bring something around (HDMI 1080P @ 50 or 60 Hz input)?

Possibly....

WHat's the most common thing that someone would have?

I have a mate with an XBox 360 - is that 1080P ?

Sorry for the dumb questions.......

Damian

EDIT - just looked up the XBox and it seems it's 1080i, so that won't help me will it?

XBOX360 : "HD Game Support All games supported at 16:9, 720p and 1080i, anti-aliasing

Standard definition and high definition video output supported"

If I can just borrow a PS3, and play a BluRay movie on it, will that do it? How do I know if it is 50 or 60 hz input?

Edited by BonsoWonderDog

If I can just borrow a PS3, and play a BluRay movie on it, will that do it? How do I know if it is 50 or 60 hz input?

Blu-Ray movies play at 24hz by default so that wont help you. I think the PS3 XMB ?(menu) will display 1080p @ 50hz so that will show the problem. Alternatively in the menu you can specify that the Blu-Ray playback should be at 50 hz not 24 hz but you will probably have to manually change this (and remember to change it back after the test). Another option (and I stand corrected here) is to set upscaling on in the PS3 and play a standard DVD, that will probably play at 50hz. Upscaling will only be an option if your mate has upgraded his firmware to a version that supports upscaling (the firmware that does this is a few months old now).

Pressing the Info button on the remote control will tell you the resolution and Hz currently being displayed.

Edited by Bumblefreak

Possibly....

WHat's the most common thing that someone would have?

I have a mate with an XBox 360 - is that 1080P ?

The Xbox 360 does do 1080P. I use it all the time on my PS50P91FDX. Support for 1080P was added in late 2006, so you might be seeing old info there.

So it would do the trick for your test.

Hi

I justed wanted to pass this experience on.

I bought a P9 in Jan when the bonus LCD offer was on. I was going through my tray in the office and found the paper work ..I had completely forgotten about the bonus TV. (26" LCD). I registed for it on the web etc. I rang my sister and she had got her's ok...months ago.

I called up Samsung on Thursday 10th July and waiting on hold for ages, then their system hung up. I tried again and it hung up. I tried again and got through. I ended up at reception. The women I spoke to was finishing that day, but she gave me a number to call, it's the promotions number, they don't do it themselves. She also said she would get someone to call me, Monday 14th at the latest. NO CALL

So today, Wednesday 16th I call the number ( 1300 780 910 ) , I go straight on hold and wait ages, it then hangs up. I call again, wait ages and it then hangs up. I ring again, this time I wait a while and get through (I'm wondering if you have to ring 3 times??? )

Anyway , I give the guy my name and address etc, he says, yeah, I can see you here. I will get it sent out , you should get it in a few days via Australia Post.

I'm like WHAT THE..... obvoiusly they were not going to send it until I called ...that is bxxxshxt in my opinion.

That aside I have been very happy with the TV (50" model)

I just bought a PS3 and have been watching a few bluerays, it looks great. As for the buzzing, it's there, I will have to get them to come and fix it. I only notice it sometimes though and have been ignoring it.

Cheers

Nick

Blu-Ray movies play at 24hz by default so that wont help you. I think the PS3 XMB ?(menu) will display 1080p @ 50hz so that will show the problem. Alternatively in the menu you can specify that the Blu-Ray playback should be at 50 hz not 24 hz but you will probably have to manually change this (and remember to change it back after the test). Another option (and I stand corrected here) is to set upscaling on in the PS3 and play a standard DVD, that will probably play at 50hz. Upscaling will only be an option if your mate has upgraded his firmware to a version that supports upscaling (the firmware that does this is a few months old now).

Pressing the Info button on the remote control will tell you the resolution and Hz currently being displayed.

Hi Bumblefreak,

Well I have the borrowed PS3 plugged in via HDMI now.

I have viewed the menus, as well as a BluRay disc ("I am Legend").....I see no white dots so far.

I notice that it comes up with 1920 x 1080i @ 50hz when initially starting viewing. As that's 1080i and not 1080p, I guess I haven't proven that I don't have the problem?

I tried to change the setting as you suggested, but all I can change is the "24hz setting" from OFF or ON or AUTO.......which didn't seem to make any difference....

I'm not good with the controls, as I've never used a PS3 before. I have no remote......only a controller.

Can anyone give me clear instructions how to test 1080p @ 50 or 60hz?

Thanks SO much,

Damian

<br />Hi Bumblefreak,<br /><br />Well I have the borrowed PS3 plugged in via HDMI now.<br /><br />I have viewed the menus, as well as a BluRay disc ("I am Legend").....I see no white dots so far.<br /><br />I notice that it comes up with 1920 x 1080i @ 50hz when initially starting viewing. As that's 1080i and not 1080p, I guess I haven't proven that I don't have the problem?<br /><br />I tried to change the setting as you suggested, but all I can change is the "24hz setting" from OFF or ON or AUTO.......which didn't seem to make any difference....<br /><br />I'm not good with the controls, as I've never used a PS3 before. I have no remote......only a controller.<br /><br />Can anyone give me clear instructions how to test 1080p @ 50 or 60hz?<br /><br />Thanks SO much,<br /><br /><br />Damian<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

For you to test your tv with 1080p/60 you can go to the above PS3 setting set 24hz setting to Off, this will force the PS3 to output 1080p/60, when you set the same setting to ON it will display the picture in 1080p/24Hz. You can only test the 1080p/50hz using a PAL DVD and using the upscale feature in PS3 . ( of course you need to enable dvd upscale in DVD/BD settings). I don't think there is any other way to test 1080p/50hz because our HDTV broadcast is only broadcast at 1080i/50hz. Your TV's internal scaler will deinterlace the 1080i/50hz signal to 1080p/50hz and the only thing is the internal scaler of a TV is usually of just average standard.

• 2 months later...

Had mine since Dec 07 and the buzzing is now at an annoying level (it was unoticable at first but has slowly gotten louder). I've also often got a wierd, usually green, line at the bottom of the screen when viewing FTA via toppy 7000 via HDMI, but not when switching to component. Hence I'd better get this looked at before the factory warranty expires. Anybody know who the Sumsung Service people are in Perth, north of river?

Cheers

Excuse a Noob :rolleyes: , but can someone advise what the refresh rate is for the PS50P91FDX. A local retailer is selling a limited number for under $2k - a great price - but I have been told by others that I should not bother with anything under 100Hz. Checked online, but can not find rate for the PS50P91FDX listed anywhere. I am assuming from the last posts that the rate is 60Hz

Had mine since Dec 07 and the buzzing is now at an annoying level (it was unoticable at first but has slowly gotten louder). I've also often got a wierd, usually green, line at the bottom of the screen when viewing FTA via toppy 7000 via HDMI, but not when switching to component. Hence I'd better get this looked at before the factory warranty expires. Anybody know who the Sumsung Service people are in Perth, north of river?

Cheers

Update - Service guy came out and fixed it. a) buzz, by placing silver conductive tape on inside of back panel, showed me the scratch marks where the copper straps from the heat sinks were vibrating against the back cover/panel. Interesting to note that in earlier posts these were fixed by bending away, but the tech said they are actually earthing on the back cover, so hence the use of condictive tape. The recent versions apply this fix in the factory.

B) Repalced the HDMI board to rev 1016, fixed my green line issue, but it took some talking to get him to do it, tried to blame my toppy etc. I told him about the sparkles etc, and he said he's never heard of this. Anyway, the swapped it out and all is good.