Samsung P9 (ps50p91fdx) Owners Thread

Two questions id like to ask my fellow P9 owners:

Is there a calibration thread for this tv? or even better could someone point me in the direction of how to calibrate my tv to the best of its ability??

And does anyone know where you can rent a ps3 in sydney so that i can check if i have any hdmi issues??

Thanks greatly guys :D

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two questions id like to ask my fellow P9 owners:

Is there a calibration thread for this tv? or even better could someone point me in the direction of how to calibrate my tv to the best of its ability??

And does anyone know where you can rent a ps3 in sydney so that i can check if i have any hdmi issues??

Thanks greatly guys :D

Because every source outputs the image differently, it is difficult to give a generalised calibration value. That is, if you calibrate one particular DVD player, and then plug another one into your TV, the image will once again be different.

You can use something like Digital Video Essentials to calibrate your DVD player output on your P9 but it calibrate the images/colours/contrast/brightness of free-to-air TV.

If you want all your sources calibrated, your best bet is to hire an expert to do it for you.... if you're that particular about it.

Well, I'm certainly starting to feel better about getting a P9, nothing worse than buying a lemon. 2 years ago me and 2 mates bought 3 x 42" Teac Plasmas ans they all died. All where fixed under warranty not without a **** fight though (within the first 12 months) The other 2 are now both dead, I'm just waiting for mine to die again....hense the new sammy with the spare LCD.

Noticed the Samsung 50in plasma at Myer Sydney City yesterday - with a tag of $3499 - and came in here for a quick look for views and comparisons to a Pana 50in next to the display - only to see that Samsung had just finished a free LCD promotion earlier this week :( (ok - this price can be bettered via the wiki !)

Since the LCD offer has finished - I'm know wondering if its just 'wait' for the next 'deal' time ?? I'm in no rush to get a plasma - but hey if these companies are willing to give something away as an incentive for purchase - why not wait it out ??

any opinions ??

Noticed the Samsung 50in plasma at Myer Sydney City yesterday - with a tag of $3499 - and came in here for a quick look for views and comparisons to a Pana 50in next to the display - only to see that Samsung had just finished a free LCD promotion earlier this week :( (ok - this price can be bettered via the wiki !)

Since the LCD offer has finished - I'm know wondering if its just 'wait' for the next 'deal' time ?? I'm in no rush to get a plasma - but hey if these companies are willing to give something away as an incentive for purchase - why not wait it out ??

any opinions ??

According to my supplier, the deal has been extended to the END of February!.

According to my supplier, the deal has been extended to the END of February!.

any further details on this ??

I might consider this set if thats the case - 2 sets - a LCD and Plasma for around $3000 seems OK (considering a mate bought a 42 and an LCD for this price around 5mths ago)

EDIT - DRATS read following post - no go / sale now for me :(

EDIT 2 - What about this in the other Samsung thread - http://www.current.com.au/2008/01/17/article/YQQZKKPKEC.html

Edited by tonyjg

Howdy All

I have been watching this thread like a hawk...one with contacts lenses that is. I purchased a P9 end of the first week of January at Narre Warren (Melbourne) Retra Vision. I was told 5 - 7 days a few days later, but I had been reading this so I knew that wasn't going to happen. Anyway, you all had me worried with this 1080P thing and the buzzing etc. I was also worried about the LCD offer ending before i get my TV. I was heading in to cancel the order and checked this thread before i left. Jomac got his 1080P issue fixed so I decided I would wander in and have a chat with the guy I dealt with.

Got there, it was his day off of course so I spoke to the home theatre guy who was quite good.

He rang Samsung while i was standing there and asked about the LCD offer, they told him that it's been extended till 29/02/08 (Did anyone read the PDF, it closes 15/01/08 and you have to have your paperwork to them by 29/01/07 YEAH 2007 )

I then told him about the issue of the HDMI 1080P 60 Hz. He said he was aware of an issue like this, but it only affects older blue ray players, the new ones are all 24Hz. I have no idea if this is true, but it sort of fits as a lot of the problems have been reported on Ps3 and Xbox which may have older players

Cheers

Hi Gianthead

I have the sparkling white noise problem using a pioneer DV400v upscaling player @50 Hz so don't believe your salesman, I am still awaiting a replacement which is due on the 24th of Jan. I purchased mine on th 21st of Dec and reported the fault on 3rd Jan and have been told by Clive Anthony's that there is a hold up at samsung's end with regard to stock (hopefully they are doing the quality checks that should have been done in Malaysia). Will update when i get my replacement.

Hi Gianthead

I have the sparkling white noise problem using a pioneer DV400v upscaling player @50 Hz so don't believe your salesman, I am still awaiting a replacement which is due on the 24th of Jan. I purchased mine on th 21st of Dec and reported the fault on 3rd Jan and have been told by Clive Anthony's that there is a hold up at samsung's end with regard to stock (hopefully they are doing the quality checks that should have been done in Malaysia). Will update when i get my replacement.

I don think they will replace it.....but they will come to replace the new HDMI board to fix the problem...... I am waiting for the part...goodluck guys

Well I ordered my unit from Myer (Knox) and was told it would be delivered on the 19th of January.

Today is the 18th and I just spoke to them by phone and they now tell me "some time" in mid February. So the bastards knew they wouldn't have stock in time and just bald-faced bullshitted me. On top of that, they are also holding my Yamaha amplifier that I ordered at the same time until they have the stock to deliver the TV as well.

My recommendation.... don't buy a Samsung at the moment... you have until well in to February before the LCD offer is over, so keep your money. On top of that, don't buy one from Myer Knox as they are complete liars (by the way, that's not liable as I have the order form to prove the delivery date and its in the public interest that they did not tell the truth).

Well I ordered my unit from Myer (Knox) and was told it would be delivered on the 19th of January.

Today is the 18th and I just spoke to them by phone and they now tell me "some time" in mid February. So the bastards knew they wouldn't have stock in time and just bald-faced bullshitted me. On top of that, they are also holding my Yamaha amplifier that I ordered at the same time until they have the stock to deliver the TV as well.

My recommendation.... don't buy a Samsung at the moment... you have until well in to February before the LCD offer is over, so keep your money. On top of that, don't buy one from Myer Knox as they are complete liars (by the way, that's not liable as I have the order form to prove the delivery date and its in the public interest that they did not tell the truth).

I am also on backorder until then with a different retailer. How does this affect the free lcd offer if you cannot update the serial number and all claims have to be in by the end of the month?

What do you mean by "you have until well in to February before the LCD offer is over" ?

I thought it was over on the 15th.

If you have payed for the amp, and they have it in stock, go in and ask for the amp or ask to cancel your order and get a refund, see if that changes their mind. Not sure why they would not give it to you, that is strange. How much did you pay for the amp and what model number?

Edited by Submariner

What do you mean by "you have until well in to February before the LCD offer is over" ?

I thought it was over on the 15th.

Samsung changed it to the 29th of Feb.

Samsung extends free LCD TV offer until February 29

By Chris Nicholls

SYDNEY: Samsung has announced it will extend its current ‘buy one, get one free’ LCD TV promotion until February, the company announced today.

The company’s ‘Bonus LCD TV’ promotion, which offered consumers who purchased a full high definition Samsung television a bonus 19-inch or 26-inch LCD TV free of charge (depending on the model purchased), was due to end today.

If customers buy any one of the following 1080p plasma TVs: PS50P91FDX, PS58P91FDX or PS63P71FDX, they will receive the following bonus LCD TV: LA26R71BDX (black) RRP $1,199.

If customers buy any one of the following 1080p LCD TVs: LA40F81BDX, LA40M81BDX , LA46M81BDX, LA40N81BDX, LA46N81BDX, they will receive the following bonus LCD TV: LA19R71BX (black) RRP $599.

If customers buy any one of the following 1080p LCD TVs: LA52F81BDX, LA46F81BDX, LA52M81BDX, they will receive the following bonus LCD TV: LA26R71BDX (black) RRP $1,199.

To claim the bonus TV, customers need to register online at: www.samsung.com.au/promotions and follow the prompts.

The promotion will be extended until the end of February to allow more customers to take advantage of the offer, according to a Samsung spokesperson.

http://www.current.com.au/2008/01/17/article/YQQZKKPKEC.html

Edited by Submariner

If you have payed for the amp, and they have it in stock, go in and ask for the amp or ask to cancel your order and get a refund, see if that changes their mind. Not sure why they would not give it to you, that is strange. How much did you pay for the amp and what model number?

The Amp is a Yamaha RX-V1800B, was purchased for a little over $1400.

The Amp is a Yamaha RX-V1800B, was purchased for a little over $1400.

Hey montey this amp rocks with this tv i have had mine since late nov paid $1400 and was one of the first ordered,for those p9 owners with no problems like me(after 4 panels) should i ring samsung to get it checked or just keep it as is would like some replies with people in the know.cheers

when is everyones Plasma due? mine was originally due 18/1 but havent had a chance to call them yet (myer), at this rate not expecting them till mid feb, doh

I have heard the same. Shipment was due in today. Didn't arrive as expected and the new date is 15th February. Purchased ours from Myer Adelaide inbetween Xmas and New Years. I had my order checked through the distribution centre in Altona VIC. I did phone Myer Adelaide to discuss and question the warranty period due to the delay of delivery. My understanding is that it does commence from point of purchase if you have paid in full. If you want to ensure that your warranty starts when your plasma arrives, Myer could cancel and reinvoice enabling the warranty to start from that day. ?? Would this process then confuse matters with the redemption of the LCD - date of purchase etc - my guess is that it would. Then again if the offer on the LCD has been extended to end of Feb as the forum comments indicate, maybe it will work.

I purchased mine at Myer Melbourne on 28/12. Went in to follow up delivery as originally quoted 18/1. Salesman showed me their mainframe system and approx 100 on backorder. There was about 30 something coming in end Jan and next order due 13 Feb which mine was in. Next order was due about a week later. When questioned about problems with noise, stand and "snow" he asked me whether I had been reading the DVA forum! He reckons 46 delivered last week from an order before Christmas and not one complaint.

Picked up my P9 & PS3 on the 17th October 07. Only problem i've experienced is the buzzing which is still as loud as the first day i got it. Gaming is fantastic and Blu-ray Movies are unreal. PS3 is runing on HDMI (Belkin Pure AV 0.9 Blue Series HDMI-HDMI).

Paid a little more than most people on here though :(

Call of Duty 4 = insane!!!!!!!

Edited by Chuckles

Was in Radio Rentals Rundle Mall today and they have a 12.5% sale on all LCDs and Plasmas.

Ticketed price on the P9 was just under $2900 - about $400 less than I paid on 31/12 and still haven't got the unit yet.

I comforted myself by thinking at least I got the free LCD TV (I have the confirm email) so didn't feel too bad until I read the last few posts re the time extension. Talk about rip my blanket away!

Oh well, price drops with new technolgy are to be expected I guess .

Cheers,

Redleg