Samsung P9 (ps50p91fdx) Owners Thread

Hmm this is a bit of a worry, at the moment all i can try is 1080p 50hz and i am not getting any of these lines/dots so i hope it wont happen on 60hz when i eventually get a br player. Mine still has no buzz that is noticeable which is good and i just thought i would post a link if you havent already been to it about setup and break in i believe the p9.. is equal to the 5084 series in the US hope it helps.

http://www.samsungplasmatvfaq.com/index.php/Main_Page

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny thing is I had no buzzing or white lines - watched a whole movie at 1080P b4 it died.

So if anything else, maybe updating to the newer firmware will help a few of you out....

But I think I will go for the Pioneer. Just cant be bothered with it anymore - kinda pissed I wont get the free LCD though...

Hi all,

Purchased from myer late december, got tv couple days ago on the 14th.

Firstly, great PQ very nice!

No buzz so far.

The tv is tilted though to one side about 1.3 cm (called already, tech coming next wed).

I did however notice tiny white dots when playing xbox 360 via componet at 1080p 60hz. But when using my vga cable to play 1080p 60hz it looks fine, no dots.

Have yet to get ps3 or blueray and test hdmi.

I will show the tech when he comes about the dots but not sure whether to go through with a claim about it since it works fine using vga...... nevertheless cant put up with anything wrong since i spent so much on the tv!

Anyone have this problem with component on 360??

Real shame we are having these probs since the PQ of the tv is excellent.

Samsung must be getting fu+cked for all these probs with lcd and plasma, must be loosing allot of money because of it, they should spend more on quality manufacturing and product testing.

Does anyone have any other recommendations of tests i can do on my tv to check for probs??

Will tell all how it all goes,

Jacob

Well guys tried ps3 last night and no problems at 1080p at 50 60 and 24 hz, bloody excellent is all i can say, played some games and watched ghostrider crap movie but pq was stunning. Tried running direct to tv via hdmi then through my amp yamaha rx and no problem, no buzzing at all so after 3 panels i think i must have a good one . cheers

Well some good news at last guys , Tech come out today and replaced input / processor board and problem is gone in 1080P , Also noticed firmware on this new board is 27/10 same as Gumball posted was in his that didn't display the problem we were seeing .

No more sparkles where there shouldn't be :)

I did take a Pic of the board while it was apart so I'll post if anyone is interested .

Hi all,

Purchased from myer late december, got tv couple days ago on the 14th.

Firstly, great PQ very nice!

No buzz so far.

The tv is tilted though to one side about 1.3 cm (called already, tech coming next wed).

I did however notice tiny white dots when playing xbox 360 via componet at 1080p 60hz. But when using my vga cable to play 1080p 60hz it looks fine, no dots.

Have yet to get ps3 or blueray and test hdmi.

I will show the tech when he comes about the dots but not sure whether to go through with a claim about it since it works fine using vga...... nevertheless cant put up with anything wrong since i spent so much on the tv!

Anyone have this problem with component on 360??

Real shame we are having these probs since the PQ of the tv is excellent.

Samsung must be getting fu+cked for all these probs with lcd and plasma, must be loosing allot of money because of it, they should spend more on quality manufacturing and product testing.

Does anyone have any other recommendations of tests i can do on my tv to check for probs??

Will tell all how it all goes,

Jacob

I had the same thing when playing mass effect! (i havent got a vga cable to try it with only component). There was a certain fuzzyness and colour banding. Im not sure if its the game itself or the set. hmmm :)

Well some good news at last guys , Tech come out today and replaced input / processor board and problem is gone in 1080P , Also noticed firmware on this new board is 27/10 same as Gumball posted was in his that didn't display the problem we were seeing .

I did take a Pic of the board while it was apart so I'll post if anyone is interested .

Hey Jomac.. Luck you..

i wouldnt mind the pic.. xbicanic@optusnet.com.au....

i'm still waiting for tech to receive board from samsung.. atleast you didnt wait too long.. hopefully i get mine sorted out soon...

Are you getting your tv replaced or something?? Its the tv i think because other people are having similar problems with this tv. Do you think i should get mine replaced or fixed even though it still works through vga fine?? :)

I had the same thing when playing mass effect! (i havent got a vga cable to try it with only component). There was a certain fuzzyness and colour banding. Im not sure if its the game itself or the set. hmmm :)

Are you getting your tv replaced or something?? Its the tv i think because other people are having similar problems with this tv. Do you think i should get mine replaced or fixed even though it still works through vga fine?? :)

Does it happen with alot of games?

Great to hear that mate! I too have the same firmware, 27/10, and it has no problems. So hopefully we can draw some sort of conclusion from this :-) Samsung *could* have solved that problem by just giving out a firmware on their website - but meh. From what I've heard, they aren't very upto date with their firmware distribution techiniques for all their products. Enjoy your sparkle free TV :-)

I'm sure without the sparkles, the PQ would be comparable to a Pioneer one anyday :-P :-D

Hey Redleg,

Got an update, just recieved an email from Samsung confirming reciept of POP etc, seems a little coincidental that it happened a few hours after posting here but without sounding like a super paranoid wierdo wearing an armidillo hat, I guess it was just a coincidence.....

Still have no plasma though, was told 11th then 18th and now it is an open delivery date....getting a little irritated, really want to start playing around with it...

Let me know how you go with your confirmation and when you get your plasma, seems that certain stores are getting them faster than others...

Simo

It doesn't stop there - I got my email confirmation about 6.30pm yesterday as well.

Now to wait for the plasma - I don't have an eta yet but was told when I bought it mid-late Jan

Cheers,

Redleg

You have later firmware than mine ; Software Version: T-SAFFDAU0- 1012 , Date 2007-09-13 ,

Would be interested to know if all the problems sets have this same firmware especially considering you have later firmware and no problems ? , I have tried over the air download but it does nothing .

I just had a mate over with his PS3 and we ran it for 45 mins on input HDMI3 and no problems were noticed with buzzing or white spots while running the PS3 system menus and blu-ray played fine (I REALLY want one now!). GT4 played fine too without any noticeable problems.... It the problem isolated to particular HDMI inputs? I should have tried all three inputs I guess.

I have "Module: T-SAFFDAU0-1009, Date: 2007-08-25"

The buzzing can be heard when I have the HD tuner running, but it is with my ear near it. Pushing on the back shell does make it stop.

Guest jpamboris

Can someone please assist?

I have purchased my HDX & would like to know what to do to get the best picture quality in all formats. I do not have any set top box & i am only using a standard dvd player. I do have foxtel but not sure how much of a difference that is?

Sorry, i am new to all this?

Thanks

John

Can someone please assist?

I have purchased my HDX & would like to know what to do to get the best picture quality in all formats. I do not have any set top box & i am only using a standard dvd player. I do have foxtel but not sure how much of a difference that is?

Sorry, i am new to all this?

Thanks

John

Hi John,

It's a very long thread but I think you'll find the information your looking for here.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=&...st&p=655249

Edited by fast700c

I tested mine by having the TV turned on for > 1hr then switching over to HDMI input? Do you think the results would be different if I started testing using HDMI input from the start?

What will you be doing now to try to resolve this problem? :-(

I am very content with this TV and that it can be fixed.

In the meantime I can enjoy it's perfect picture on alternative connections / settings while I watch this forum thread to see what the fixes are.

I am at ease with a repair / update of parts because the picture quality is so good.

I am not considering swapping for replacemtent Samsung, getting a refund and a different TV.

By watching this forum the answers so far seem to be ;

If you are hearing an excessive electrical buzzing it can be greatly reduced by a Samsung techie replacing some parts.

See quote below from the topic Samsung P9 Buzzing, Resolution ;

Hey Guys,

There are indepth threads on the samsung P9 with quite a few people complaining regarding the buzzing sound. So i thought id make a thread specifically on the issue (seeing as the tech just left my home!)

A technician came out after i had made the call last week. At the time, my p9 sounded much like my refrigerator! To explain how loud....i could hear it slightly in the background with my xbox 360 running lol Im sure all xbox owners just said "wow" ;)

Anyway....the technician came out and replaced the coils. If i recall correctly he mentioned an x and y coil. 2 seperate parts of the grid at the back of the tv. He hooked everything back up...we switched on the tv and my jaw dropped. No buzz. I asked if i could try it with the aerial in and still...no noise!

It is finally like regular plasmas. You can only hear the lightest of buzz if you put your ear up against the grill and with the tv on, its noiseless.

So anyone having this problem. ring and get a tech out. They do everything on site and its over within half an hr. Finally!! I can enjoy this tv as it was meant to be enjoyed! Dont sit around like mr sucker here and hope for the buzz to go away. Just make the effort to call the tech and never worry about having to "ignore" that sound in the background of a quiet scene in a movie.

*one happy camper*

If your set is displaying a pattern of sparkling white dots using HDMI connection this can also be fixed by a Samsung techie replacing some parts and / or maybe updating the firmware.

See below quote from Page 14 of this topic;

If updating the firmaware ( - have to find if it can be downloaded of the Internet first - )

doesn't fix the sparkling white dots then I will make an appointment for a Samsung techie to come and do all these repairs.

Howdy All

I have been watching this thread like a hawk...one with contacts lenses that is. I purchased a P9 end of the first week of January at Narre Warren (Melbourne) Retra Vision. I was told 5 - 7 days a few days later, but I had been reading this so I knew that wasn't going to happen. Anyway, you all had me worried with this 1080P thing and the buzzing etc. I was also worried about the LCD offer ending before i get my TV. I was heading in to cancel the order and checked this thread before i left. Jomac got his 1080P issue fixed so I decided I would wander in and have a chat with the guy I dealt with.

Got there, it was his day off of course so I spoke to the home theatre guy who was quite good.

He rang Samsung while i was standing there and asked about the LCD offer, they told him that it's been extended till 29/02/08 (Did anyone read the PDF, it closes 15/01/08 and you have to have your paperwork to them by 29/01/07 YEAH 2007 )

I then told him about the issue of the HDMI 1080P 60 Hz. He said he was aware of an issue like this, but it only affects older blue ray players, the new ones are all 24Hz. I have no idea if this is true, but it sort of fits as a lot of the problems have been reported on Ps3 and Xbox which may have older players??

As for the buzz, I guess I will just wait and see. Hopefully those of us waiting for these bad boys all get the latest firmware. I asked if Samsung updated the firmware before shipping them to the stores and he says they do generally ( I dought it)

So back to waiting for now. This has sure been handy, I feel sorry for the salesmen though, must be hard having a customer walk in a tell you the price they are paying and it's less than there cost. I got mine for $3350 inc 26" LCD and extra 3 Years Ex Warranty and i see guys getting them cheaper still.

Cheers

Ok, my firmware was T-SAFFDAU0-1009

Tech just rang me... Samsung has said they have a fix... replacing the HDMI board (forget the tech term). There is a problem with some resistors being rated too low or something... The fix could be to solder replace the resistors... I said I want the whole board replaced. Board should be ready monday.

Apparently samsung hardware (blu ray players?) with this tv didn't exhibit the issue, only other manufacturers equipment.

The tech also asked me if I had a buzzing issue... I said I did. He said he fixed that on someones tv yesterday and will do the same. Something about contact between some copper coils and the back outer panel...

Supposedly there are service alerts out now on both issues.

So hopefully the tv will be 100% good next week....

I then told him about the issue of the HDMI 1080P 60 Hz. He said he was aware of an issue like this, but it only affects older blue ray players, the new ones are all 24Hz. I have no idea if this is true, but it sort of fits as a lot of the problems have been reported on Ps3 and Xbox which may have older players??

Cheers

The ps3 outputs blu ray at 24 Hz.