Samsung P9 (ps50p91fdx) Owners Thread

Hi Kello,

Yes, I've got the buzzing problem too. The buzz varies depending on the content being displayed (HD vs SD, dark vs light) but most of the time I can hear it easily from 3.7 metres (viewing distance) over the top of the broadcast sound. Have had the TV for a couple of weeks now but the buzz isn't getting any better and I'm not getting used to it so I will be calling Samsung too. Would be interested to hear how you get on.

Keep us posted on the buzzing issues and fixes etc. A firm tap on the back (not too firm) will stop or make it go away temporarily, which is interesting, as I am sure that it would be fixable. On another thread on here relating to a kuro plasma, I read that the customer was told from one tech that the power supply needs so many hours to run in, and the buzzing would diminish, which could be the same for the samsung P9. The samsung support guy I got was not too helpful and just gave me the ole "all plasmas buzz" speal.

I get a bit annoyed but the crackling sound more than buzzing, but that is supposed to be normal according to manual.

regards

Justin

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just returned from Myers and saw the same display problem "white static outline around some boundaries" this was through a toshiba Blu-Ray player via 1080p. I have decided I will look at the panasonic 1080p display instead it was playing next to the samasung there was no problem. This would most likely be a firmware issue I would think.

I wonder for those who haven't experienced the problem have you tried 1080p blu-ray playback.

I could be wrong but i dont think toshiba make blueray players only hd dvd, is this what you saw ? I saw this tv run a sony blueray in store at 1080p and it was stuning, thats why i bought it.I dont have a blueray as yet but upscale dvd through my yamaha rx 1800 at 1080p and have no problem i did have buzzing from 1st and third set but 2nd and this one 4th it buzzes a bit but can hardly hear at 4m(this is my 4th set due to pixels out and dodgy tunner, cheers

I've had my ps50p91fdx for 7 weeks now and have no real major complaints. bought it for $3500 back in november 07 so didn't get as good a price as ppl who have bought it more recently.

Anyway I have my samsung blu-ray bdp1400 connected to it via an onkyo 875. Picture quality is great. I used the thx optimiser on starwars dvd to adjust my contrast, brightness etc settings.

I also have my macbook pro connected to the p9 using a dvi to hdmi cable. Picture quality was on par with the my blu-ray player when watching a 1080p version of transformers. the macbook pro even let me change my output settings to 24hz which the P9 managed to pick up. My one complaint is that when using the output from my macbook pro the image on screen does not fill the full screen with there being a 1cm gap on each side. This is probably due more to my settings on the macbook pro rather than the P9 itself.

I do hear cracking noises after i have turned it off, which appears to be the tv "settling" but this always happens with things that run hot and are then turned off to cool down.

Also the remote response is terrible slow. but other than that very satisfied with the TV.

sorry forgot to ask are you having any of the static image problems that some others are having running your blueray and also does the tv pick up 1080p at 24 hz off your blueray player,as i dont have blueray but want to purchase the 1400 soon and am getting a bit worried if it will have any issues. cheers

Hey Ags,

Samsung are hopeless..

I called them first thing in the morning and they said they would pass my details on to the local technician and that they should contact me before the end of the day..

luckily they gave me the name of the company. so i called just then and they said, they hadnt received anything from samsung. The lady on the phone was pretty nice and just took my booking... However they have a backlog of 4 days work.. so i wont be having any one look at it for about a week..

on a side note - my mate has the same tv and ps3 and he has no problems...

I could be wrong but i dont think toshiba make blueray players only hd dvd, is this what you saw ? I saw this tv run a sony blueray in store at 1080p and it was stuning, thats why i bought it.I dont have a blueray as yet but upscale dvd through my yamaha rx 1800 at 1080p and have no problem i did have buzzing from 1st and third set but 2nd and this one 4th it buzzes a bit but can hardly hear at 4m(this is my 4th set due to pixels out and dodgy tunner, cheers

It might have been a panasonic player, the Toshiba was providing HD-DVD to the pioneer next to it. The effect was noticeable I brought it to the attention of the salesman and he hadn't noticed it before. He sure does now.

Maybe it has something to do with the format that is selected when playing the blu-ray disks.

It will only happen when something is displayed at 1080p @ 60Hz via HDMI. If you can't see it at that, you're good to go.

Amigo - cheers for the update. What city are you based in? Perhaps I won't have to wait 4 days, but who knows I may also have to wait longer...

It will only happen when something is displayed at 1080p @ 60Hz via HDMI. If you can't see it at that, you're good to go.

Amigo - cheers for the update. What city are you based in? Perhaps I won't have to wait 4 days, but who knows I may also have to wait longer...

brisbane...

Guest Gregools

I have finally decided that this is the model I want to purchase.

The next big question is where and when to get it.

Primarily should I rush in before the 15th to get the bonus LCD that I could flog on eBay or will the price dive post the 15th?

I seem to be a magnet for Murphys Law for these things and always end up making the wrong choice.

Where would others who have done all the runing around already go to buy one today? I am located in the ACT but have no problem with travelling to get the best deal possible.

I have finally decided that this is the model I want to purchase.

The next big question is where and when to get it.

Primarily should I rush in before the 15th to get the bonus LCD that I could flog on eBay or will the price dive post the 15th?

I seem to be a magnet for Murphys Law for these things and always end up making the wrong choice.

Where would others who have done all the runing around already go to buy one today? I am located in the ACT but have no problem with travelling to get the best deal possible.

I got mine from Myer for 3200 with an extra 3 years warranty :-) I've had it since Christmas eve last year.

If you're wondering, I haven't had any probs with my TV yet (contrary to the problems people above seem to be having). I guess I'm lucky for now :-D

Guest Gregools
I got mine from Myer for 3200 with an extra 3 years warranty :-) I've had it since Christmas eve last year.

If you're wondering, I haven't had any probs with my TV yet (contrary to the problems people above seem to be having). I guess I'm lucky for now :-D

That is totally amazing, I was in Myers here at the Belconnen Mall in the ACT this afternoon and they had it on their "Clearance Sale" for 3999. I guess they are pulling the same stunt as Woolies and Coles and have a different price for every store. It is amazing how much extra they sting those of us in the "Regional Areas" over and above what the cities pay... I have noticed that the City store here in the ACT is often a different price to the suburban mall on smaller items but had no idea that on larger items it was this much... At this sort of price difference I may have to fly up to the Brisbane store as I am sure they are all dispatched from the same warehouse in Melbourne anyway... Although they will still probably sting me on the "Delivery Fee" anyway... Thanks for the feedback it is really interesting...

Well I am new to this forum and have been browsing for a while and we purchased the sasming from HN yesterday and there is a 4-6 week wait. Even the same wait for the pansonic model. The picture quality was better in ther Samsung and the bonus LCD was the clinche as was the price difference from the Panasonic. I have heard a few problems on the Sammy hence why visiting here but seems to be heating issue which is the main cause so please keep the feedback coming. I like peoples setups they have posted as that will help us greatly ;-)

Shopping around now for a unit to sit it on as we have corner unit with an old LG 68 CRT so this is a big step for us ;-)

cheers AC

That is totally amazing, I was in Myers here at the Belconnen Mall in the ACT this afternoon and they had it on their "Clearance Sale" for 3999. I guess they are pulling the same stunt as Woolies and Coles and have a different price for every store. It is amazing how much extra they sting those of us in the "Regional Areas" over and above what the cities pay... I have noticed that the City store here in the ACT is often a different price to the suburban mall on smaller items but had no idea that on larger items it was this much... At this sort of price difference I may have to fly up to the Brisbane store as I am sure they are all dispatched from the same warehouse in Melbourne anyway... Although they will still probably sting me on the "Delivery Fee" anyway... Thanks for the feedback it is really interesting...

Gregools that was the store I visited today also. If you looked closely (unless they changed the video from the 'singing couple') the white dotted outline issue was noticable.. I was there about 11:30am.

Oh yeah.. we had to haggle with them ofcourse. The Good Guys would only do 3400 with the extra warranty. Took it to Myer and they were nice enough to beat it :-) Some people seem to have got it for less than 3200 from the Good Guys, but the store we visted wouldn't go below that all - even when I mentioned to them other stores down south were doing it for that price!

We're really happy with the Myer one though - apparently the extended warranty is better (costs a fair bit more than the Good Guys as well). If they have had to repair the TV more than 4 times, they'll just replace the TV for you :-D But remember, for the first 2 years you'll be with the Samsung warranty, the other warranty kicks in after the first 2 years :-)

Lastly, if you use your Myer card, you'll get earn points as well which can be traded in for vouchers (after 3 months or so). So I believe we got ~$60 of vouchers from the purchase.

Edited by antler

Gregools that was the store I visited today also. If you looked closely (unless they changed the video from the 'singing couple') the white dotted outline issue was noticable.. I was there about 11:30am.

Hmm... I guess it depends from set to set for that problem :-S Is that a HDMI only problem? I saw the posted pic and I really feel sorry for those who've ended up with that.

I did another indepth checking of the TV (focussing on the HDMI ports). I forced the PS3 to do 60Hz and 24Hz on different ports on the TV (after having turned it on for a couple of hours). I did notice flickering picture when I initially switched to 60Hz but that went off after I switched the HDMI cables and rebooted the PS3. Everything seemed quite normal.

Gregools: make your choice wisely mate :-) You don't want to have to end up with this problem at the same time - not that I've noticed anything (and I sometimes sit < 1m to that 50" screen. LOL) . Ask the store about their policies as well on replacements/repair if you were to find a problem like this.

Edited by antler

Hi Guys, just recieved my Plasma today. Quick question. Anyone know where the serial number exists to send off the form for the free LCD?

Only number I can see came stuck onto the plastic rapping holding the instruction manual.

it was a AB12-34567C-89 type number. Is this it?

If not, anyone know where I can find it?

Cheers

Hi Guys, just recieved my Plasma today. Quick question. Anyone know where the serial number exists to send off the form for the free LCD?

Try the right hand side of your TV (i.e the side without all the inputs). There should be a sticker with the serial number, model number and some other info there :-)

Hi Peter

Yeh mine does this, I think its the heat sinks. its actually in the manual on page one or something and is normal. Glad someone else mentioned it though, my guess is they all do it or people have em up so loud you cant hear it.

Thanks for the infos. We almost rang Samsung up and complain LOL

which myer did you get it at if i may ask?

Hello, I am new to DTV Forum. I have been reviewing comments over the last couple of weeks now. I too purchased from Myer and purchased the Myer Warranty covered by AIG. Can you confirm that your warranty was included in the price of 3200? I paid 3100 plus 540 for extended warranty one week ago. Not expecting plasma until end of January at least even though I was given an expected delivery date of today. I phoned the Myer distribution centre and it will probably arrive in Altona VIC today which is where the centre is located. I was 24 in the backorder and they are only receiving approx 16 today. Another shipment due to arrive next Friday. So if I have some time to play around with purchase price I might just do that.

Hi all, another newbie! I've been looking through this forum for a few weeks now and finally decided on the Sammy P9 50". Went to HN Narre Warren twice to try and get one on 25 mths interest free and they were not interested in selling me one - tried to tell me all sorts of garbage including "no promo LCD's left", "be at least Feb before stock arrives in Victoria" and "interest free offer finished at the end on December so you better buy a different set today" (that was on 30/12, interst free offer still going....). Needless to say, won't be shopping there again.

Anyway, went to HN Dandenong last Sunday, got the 50" for $3,350 with minimal haggling on 2 years no deposit no repayments, TV got delivered 10am Monday morning! Very easy to set up and operate, amazing picture - can't wait to get a Blue Ray player now!

This forum has been very helpful and informative and made my decision making/buying process much easier as this is my first HDTV, so thanks to you all!

Called Samsung this morning regarding the "sparkling white outline" that a few of us have been experiencing when displaying at 1080p and found the tech support guy really helpful, there is a service centre near me so should get quick service, hopefully this afternoon. The tech guy hinted at a firmware issue anyone had any news?

I have just returned from Myers and saw the same display problem "white static outline around some boundaries" this was through a toshiba Blu-Ray player via 1080p. I have decided I will look at the panasonic 1080p display instead it was playing next to the samasung there was no problem. This would most likely be a firmware issue I would think.

I wonder for those who haven't experienced the problem have you tried 1080p blu-ray playback.

Yeah have tried 1080p 24thz playback and 1080p 60hz playback and have had no issues with either mode. Was using a samsung BDP-1400 and a macbook pro both via hdmi.

Yeah have tried 1080p 24thz playback and 1080p 60hz playback and have had no issues with either mode. Was using a samsung BDP-1400 and a macbook pro both via hdmi.

My P91 set also has this 'sparkling white dots' problem, but

* only after the unit has warmed up, and

* only in 1080p mode [not 1080i], and

* some sources are worse than others...