Samsung P9 (ps50p91fdx) Owners Thread

Im glad it normal thanks for the confirm

No fan = less noise :) as long the plasma doesn't melt im happy. Well aircond will be running when it hot any way and when it cold like some 1 above mention u get a free heater lol.

The fans are very quiet, its definitely better than the buzzing sound comming out from some plasmas.

As long as your have a 5 years extended warranty you should be fine. Without the fans samsung definitely runs significantly hotter than other brands. I been testing it many times at the shops putting my palm on the top part of the rear panel to compare.

Edit: Actually that's what I was thinking last time to buy the P9, get a good extended warranty from Myer or JB and hopefully it dies after the 4th year beyond repair and get a new one. hahahah LOL!

Edited by byt

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fans are very quiet, its definitely better than the buzzing sound comming out from some plasmas.

As long as your have a 5 years extended warranty you should be fine. Without the fans samsung definitely runs significantly hotter than other brands. I been testing it many times at the shops putting my palm on the top part of the rear panel to compare.

Edit: Actually that's what I was thinking last time to buy the P9, get a good extended warranty from Myer or JB and hopefully it dies after the 4th year beyond repair and get a new one. hahahah LOL!

Thats why I got a 5 yr full warranty, its a no brainer, I want full coverage for 5 years, and if it dies in a couple of years then we get a new model hopefuly )

Guys

With 550W of power consumption, my electricity bills will start going up in the coming months as my TV will be switched on for at least 8hrs a day. Does anyone know if this unit constantly consumes 550W of power or does it fluctuate depending on the picture displayed and brightness/contrast levels etc???

Cheers

Guys

With 550W of power consumption, my electricity bills will start going up in the coming months as my TV will be switched on for at least 8hrs a day. Does anyone know if this unit constantly consumes 550W of power or does it fluctuate depending on the picture displayed and brightness/contrast levels etc???

Cheers

AFAIK a plasma takes more power to display a bright scene, than a dark scene. The plasmas pixels are not used when displaying black, so that should use less power. Best way to find out is to buy a power adaptor from Jaycar (Cat. Number - MS6115) for about $39. Plug the plasma into the adaptor and you will get a real time read out of the power being used. This adaptor is great for checking the power usage on other power hungry devices as well.

Good morning all.. I can confirm I am getting 5.1 from the optical cable - my amp lights lights up "blue" and shows 5.1 from the Channel 9 tester loop.

i dont think that it even passes the inbuilt hd tuner in 5.1, ive watched numerous 10hd and 7hd shows and none have come thru in any format other than digital 2.0. very dissappointing so far.

AFAIK a plasma takes more power to display a bright scene, than a dark scene. The plasmas pixels are not used when displaying black, so that should use less power. Best way to find out is to buy a power adaptor from Jaycar (Cat. Number - MS6115) for about $39. Plug the plasma into the adaptor and you will get a real time read out of the power being used. This adaptor is great for checking the power usage on other power hungry devices as well.

Thanks for the feedback...

550W will be the peak usage, ie. when displaying a full white screen on max brightness. Typical power consumption will be significantly lower. I'd suggest if you want to keep costs down (and be nice to the environment) you turn on the power saving features and run it at lower brightness, particularly if you're not actually sitting in front of the set...

Guys

Cheers

I've Joined the P91 club. Got it from Retravision in Osbourne Park for $3235 (yes, I know others have got it for less, but after 3 days of going around haggling i just got one from a place that had them in stock. It fitted into the back of the cruiser and was the easiest TV to setup. I reckon it took as 15 minutes from the time we lifted the lid off of the carton until we got it running. Used 3 guys, two to lift it onto the cabinet and one to remove the foam from it's stand. While heavyish, it is nowhere near as awkward to handle as the CRT it replaced. Observations;

1 - yet to fiddle much with the set up, but it looks stunning.

2 - its internal receivers do a great job, but I'm running it via a toppy7000. Had to use component as the HDMI is not recognised, I suspect this may be a toppy issue?

3 - Got xbox360 hooked up via vga. Initially it looked washed out, but fooling with the colour and brightness etc fixed that.

4 - I played the HD-DVD movie Bourne Ultimatum (via Xbox HDDVD drive through the VGA) and it looked fantastic. I did get some jerkiness in panning shoots, and suspect that it may be the 24p issue. Maybe I'll need to fiddle with the xbox refresh rates?

5 - Xbox360 games look brill, Call of Duty 4 looks stunning, as does Assassin's Creed.

6 - Channel 10 HD looks great when broadcasting in HD, but even the SD stuff looks reasonable. The telly seems to upscale nicely.

Anyway, off to update the toppy's firmware to see if that lets me run it via HDMI.

Hey all.. Just got my p91 on the wall.. How awesome does it look.. Looks like Im in the market for a HDD/DVD recorder though, anything but hidef is a bit crap but man, when its on WOW!! and, not to mention, samsung are offering white tellys now in their bonus offer.. what a deal. I just cant imagine how much bigger TV's can get - but no doubt they can.. Anyone got a Samsung DVD/HDD recorder thingy? be keen to hear how the match is.

Out

Hey fellow P91 owners.. watching a DVD through my new TV and picture quality is down.. Assuming this is because my DVD player is not hidef??

How is it connected to the tv? On a side note does anyone have any thoughts on buying an upscaling dvd player(<$200) or just connecting my old one via compnent($30?) and using the tv to upscale, which would give a better PQ?

Hi all,

I posted this somewhere else in the forum earlier today but I think this thread is more appropriate. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

This is my first post and I think I have a problem. I went into the service menu of my Sammy P9 wanting to check the total hours of usage. I was really careful and made sure that I did not change any settings. However, I was not able to find the usage information. Anyway, to be sure I did not stuff anything up, I reset all settings in the service menu. Now I am regretting doing that as I am unsure whether resetting the settings actually changes the settings that were originally there. I had to re-tune the channels after doing that and everything seems to work fine. I also managed to find the usage information now but it is now displayed at 0hr. This is probably due to my reset.

Can someone please post the original settings in the service menu (all items) so that I can compare them against my "reset" settings to make sure everything is as expected? If not, is there somewhere on the net I can access these default settings? Please be careful not to change anything on yours. Your help is much appreciated. BTW, I am in NSW if that helps. Thanks again.

Hi all,

Can someone please help me on this? Your help is very much appeciated. Right now I am stuck as I need to know whether I have made any critical changes to the original settings. Thanks again and have a happy new year.

Hey - Just upgraded my DVD/HDD drive (sony, $1600 two years ago) to a samsung DVD-HR755.. It upscales to 1080i and made an stella differance.. Got it for $370 from HN on 25M interest free.. Awesome.. Before you ask, I know my TV does 1080P, but there is no DVD's that naturally produce that signal, so for the price, it lets me tape analog TV and watch my old DVD's in great quality...

How is it connected to the tv? On a side note does anyone have any thoughts on buying an upscaling dvd player(<$200) or just connecting my old one via compnent($30?) and using the tv to upscale, which would give a better PQ?

Hi all

Thought that i should come on in and let you all know that i got my Sammy 50" 1080p yesterday. What a brilliant picture. I ended up getting it for $3300 with a 1.5m Monster HDMI thrown in and a music dvd that was playing in HN Marion at the time cos i liked it!!... its amazing what a salesman will do to get a sale..... Thanks Link, ill be coming back to you again!!

I havent adjusted any picture settings and it is perfect, i have had to adjust the sound settings as i found it a bit shallow. There is no noise coming from the back of the panel like some people have said but yes it does get hot.

I have connected it to the Panny EX77 (why i originally went to HN in the first place to buy) and that works well too.

Huge thanks to everyone on this site with there posts, i have learnt so much from you guys and would probably still be standing in front of panels in JB and HN trying to work out which one to buy!

Lets just hope my free 26" LCD doesnt take 6-8 weeks delivery like they said!

I have one and it offers supoprt for 24p. However, it does this with pulldown - not an original 24p framing (AFAIK anyways). The website specs seem to confirm this.

It works perfectly - I tested it with Spiderman 3 on Blu-ray outputting at 24Hz on my PS3 the other night :-)

Anyone in brisvegas have a good fair price and a receipt to scan and PM me?? Also, which store??

:rolleyes:

Yes, in Brisbane, try around for that price with the same offer. I've heard people getting the same offer for $3100 from The Good Guys. However, I wasn't able to manage it. The best they could do for that offer was $3400.

I can gurantee that you would be able to get the same offer or better if you are persistant with them :-)

Edited by antler

I bought mine from The Good Guys at Chatswood.

A mate gave me his receipt that had the TV for $2776 (with a few extras which probably helped to bring the price down).

I ended up paying $3145 for the TV, 3yrs extra Warranty (Total of 5yrs), HDMI Cables and delivery.

Not a bad score if I say so myself.

Silly question alert!

I have my xbox 360 connected to my p9 via component. Its set to output at 1080p. While playing Mass Effect, the background in the game looks (how id describe anyway) fuzzy? Is this to do with my connection via component or the tv settings?

Its currently in game mode when i play the 360. I had to turn that on to help with the lag. Any suggestions guys?

Thanks!:)

The only silly questions are those "un-asked". simple answer is component cannot to digital 1080P. I would suggest using a "upscale" device like your DVD player or alike if you have something that will upscale. Had similar issues with my old DVD player until I upgraded.. Hope this answers your question.. P

Silly question alert!

I have my xbox 360 connected to my p9 via component. Its set to output at 1080p. While playing Mass Effect, the background in the game looks (how id describe anyway) fuzzy? Is this to do with my connection via component or the tv settings?

Its currently in game mode when i play the 360. I had to turn that on to help with the lag. Any suggestions guys?

Thanks!:)

The only silly questions are those "un-asked". simple answer is component cannot to digital 1080P. I would suggest using a "upscale" device like your DVD player or alike if you have something that will upscale. Had similar issues with my old DVD player until I upgraded.. Hope this answers your question.. P

Thanks for that. Ill have to read up on this! :) It doesnt look terrible as is...but at very least noticable.