Samsung P9 (ps50p91fdx) Owners Thread

Thought I would create a new thread, seeing as there are bits and pieces of info all over the place in various threads relating to this TV.

So any setup tips, info, problems, lcd rebate stuff etc. could go in here. Hope thats cool.

Well after having mine going for a few days its starting to buzz a bit and also, its starting to "crackle" a little bit every few minutes, it seems to be coming from where the heat comes out the back of tv. Just noticed it while I am watching Iceage on it. Will keep monitoring it and see how it gos. Anyone else having such things happen? I am reluctant to send it back in case I get worse buzzing or pixel problems. Seems buying a perfect plasma without issues is not that easy.

Cheers and merry xmas everyone,

Justin

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have yet to install my P9 plasma. Looking for good stand with enclosed spaces for my foxtel decoder, AVR receiver, DVD/Blu-ray player etc...otherwise it just collects too much dust.

Will update this thread if I run into any problems...

As far as the 'crackling' sound is concerned, it just could be the aluminium heat shields expanding/contracting. This unit generates a lot of heat and thus needs good heat shields. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless the sounds gets worse.

In the same boat as Vinex i've been looking in ikea pretty reasonable prices but i dont want it to over hang even if it is just the side spreakers. The P9 should be coming monday fingers crossed, i'll post up first impressions and hopefully a few installation tips and tricks will be in this thread by then.

I have read of a few plasma's with the buzz problem if mine has this but is perfect otherwise i'll hang a cloth behind or something no one will see it.

Edited by Hellyeah

Well, I have only had my 50" P9 for about 24 hours so far and while it lasted, I was very impressed.

An hour or so ago though, while watching a DTV channel the display went black all of a sudden and it will not come back on now. I still get sound and can flip through the inputs like usual (sound source changes), but I dont get a display for any of them...completely blank screen. I pulled the power cable and left it for an hour but that didnt help.

I am guessing it will qualify as a DOA considering its only 24 hours old but the problem is being so close to xmas and the Myer stores in Adelaide getting all their stock from a Melbourne warehouse, I cant see myself getting a replacement anytime soon :(

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Is it best to call Samsung support or the store I bought it from (Myer)?

Edited by Nathan D

Hi Guys,

I have purchased a PS50P91FDX and have a question about audio setup.

I have my Playstation3 using HDMI to the PS50P91FDX which then passes the Audio to my Logi 5500D.

My issue is that if I use the above method for sound setup I do not get Digital sound when playing DVD's.

If I change to output sound from the Playstation directly the the Logi 5500D I get Digital correctly. But using this method I cannot use the TV as well since the Logi 5500D only has one optical input.

Is there a setting on the PS50P91FDX to just pass bitstream audio ?

I have not found it in the audio setup area and am hoping someone could point me to the correct area.\

Cheers

Wally

Is there a setting on the PS50P91FDX to just pass bitstream audio ?

I have not found it in the audio setup area and am hoping someone could point me to the correct area.\

As far as I know, the digital audio output will only send a 5.1 signal from a DTV channel. It does not pass through 5.1 when it is being input from other sources (HDMI, etc).

I think most TVs with a digital audio output behave the same way.

The sound output by the TV is 2 channel , it says so in the documentation , the advise to connect directly to your amp if you want surround ( which sux I think)

Im new to this HT stuff and I just got our new P91 50" going last night . Now Foxtel looks decent enough , but I just got the DVD set up and its way to bright for me , all light colours appear bright very white and alot of pale detail is lost or washed out eg sky is bright white desert scene shows all sand as bright white , areas of skin tone are also bright white . I have tried altering every setting available but it does not help . I can make the picture darker but then it doesnt bring out the detail , it just looks dark and crap , so Im back to default . Has anyone else had this problem ? I havent researched it yet as I thought you guys would know .

Also does plasma picture inheritantly lack depth ? Or is this part of my setup woes ?

On a seperate note - boy this thing pumps out some heat .

Any input on this would be great.

Edited by aussie-revhead

The sound output by the TV is 2 channel , it says so in the documentation , the advise to connect directly to your amp if you want surround ( which sux I think)

Im new to this HT stuff and I just got our new P91 50" going last night . Now Foxtel looks decent enough , but I just got the DVD set up and its way to bright for me , all light colours appear bright very white and alot of pale detail is lost or washed out eg sky is bright white desert scene shows all sand as bright white , areas of skin tone are also bright white . I have tried altering every setting available but it does not help . I can make the picture darker but then it doesnt bring out the detail , it just looks dark and crap , so Im back to default . Has anyone else had this problem ? I havent researched it yet as I thought you guys would know .

Also does plasma picture inheritantly lack depth ? Or is this part of my setup woes ?

On a seperate note - boy this thing pumps out some heat .

Any input on this would be great.

Hey

There are some in depth setup guides on another thread here, let me find them and paste them here, I'm sure the guys wont mind. Try those settings and see how you go. For me, I put it on dynamic/movie, then reduce the brightness, reduce the colour, change the colour to the white one (no bluish stuff) and put on the edge setting, and a couple other things. I advise tinkering with it a bit, especially the advanced settings. Yeh its a hot beast for sure, I can hear my heat sinks crackiling (think thats what it is!). The thing that amazes me is how the quality is so diverse according to what you play. SD digital = crap, then HD channels some are good, some are crappy, and then LOST was on HD the other night and it looked like Blu Ray, unreal picture. Some of my old dvds look awesome, some look crappy, it just depends. So its a premium tv, put premium media into it, thats what I plan on doing, ie Blu Ray player.

Will look for those setups and post here,

regards

Justin

Setup for P9 from Rhodesy - copied from another thread

QUOTE(rhodesy101 @ Dec 10 2007, 11:58 AM) *

Ok i have finally setup my Ps50p91hdx.

I have to say this has been one of the most difficult screens for me to setup only for the fact that I have tried just about everything in movie mode with warm and warm2 settings to get the picture right. But for some reason shadow detail is lost to the point it is like night and day when I tuned it in standard mode. it reminded me of the settings on the sony bravia x that sony tried to make people use when they had the clouding issues.

Standard mode tuning took me about 1-2 hour to do properly, not days on end like movie mode.

The settings I liked the best were those calibrated through DVD Essentials pal HDDVD in standard mode.

I borrowed my friends syder2 colour calibrater but I couldn't get it to look right no matter what setting.

All my devices are run though a denon avr 3808 from the hdmi output to hdmi 1 input of the samsung P9

Denon is set to all analogue devices to upconvert to 1080p and hdmi inputs to bypass internal video decoding.

These are my settings I use for all devices.

Mode standard

Contrast 77

Brightness 59

Sharpness 0 (around 30-40 for digital tv)

Colour 53

Tint g47 / r53 or g50 / r 50

Colour tone normal

Size just scan

Digital NR auto

DNie off

(detailed settings)

Black adjust medium

dynamic contrast off

Gamma 0 or -1

Colour Space auto

White balance default for now

Colour Control default for now

Edge enhancement off

Comparing this screen to my 52"m81 I use as a main tv.

digital tv especially hd content no difference

dvd's look better on the P9 (using a denon dvd3900 for both screens)

HD material (hd dvd blu ray, mg350hd files) looks the same on both, but no judder noticed on P9 for same source material

Foxtel no difference except when 3808 does upconversion and some material looks better

Divx material through MG350HD (set @1080p pal) especailly 640 x 352 material (low res compressed material) looks way better on P9. On the M81 it looks crap (pixelated and blurry). The P9 looks great no pixelation or blurry.

For the those wondering about 24hz playback on the P9, yes it does it according to the Ps3, denon 3808, P9 info screen.

For those wondering about black levels.

P9 is superior to M81

Im sorry but the black is black on P9 I don't consider a bluer shade of black of the m81 to be black.

P9 does have some humming noise when 1080 matrial is being presented, but I can only hear it if the volume of what I am watching set to 0 and I am closer than 0.5 meter to the screen.

YAY!

Mine delivered about 20mins ago thought i should give my first impressions and ask a few questions then i'm back to playing with it.

It says to use two people to carry it but have three when unboxing its a scary moment when you lift the tv and the padding comes out with it, the extra person should hold them down plus its one heavy tv.

Setup was incredibly easy found it found all the digital channels by itself and one of the first things i saw was the 7HD loop of the the great outdoors and its looked fantastic!

What have people done with their ferrite cores? i didnt loop the power cable through twice i only clamped it.

The tv itself is a fingerprint and dust magnet what are you all using to clean it? the supplied cloth?

Should i be messing around with all of the picture setting within the first 100 hours of use?

It is definitely putting out some heat and i can see my energy bill going up, but if i cared about that i would have gone lcd.

Overall the tv is better than i could have ever expected, now all i need is an upscaling dvd player until the format wars are over, or a nice combo drive comes along.

Edited by Hellyeah

Hi Guys

Have any of you wall mounted the plasma or thinking of doing it? How much did you pay for the entire install? Did you supply the wall brackets (if yes, how much did you pay)? How much should I expect to pay for it?

Cheers

I mounted mine using a Selby bracket I got off Ebay. I paid $26 plus postage (about$40 total) and installed it myself. It's pretty easy most people with modest skills should manage it.

I think JD71 is installing his as we speak so he'll report back how he found it.

I think they look even better when wall mounted.

I mounted mine using a Selby bracket I got off Ebay. I paid $26 plus postage (about$40 total) and installed it myself. It's pretty easy most people with modest skills should manage it.

I think JD71 is installing his as we speak so he'll report back how he found it.

I think they look even better when wall mounted.

Yes, looking forward to putting mine up, have the bracket here fast700c , dont know about modest skills though, will see if I can miss the studs and make a mess!. Your bracket was a steal, that would have to be cost price. Its stupid but kind of in limbo now, waiting to put it on the wall and get a cabinet to put the amp and stuff in and then off to get something to play on it, already have a upscaling dvd but its not the greatest, would like a blu ray really, thats my tip for the one that will take over. How ridiculous is it that there are two HD formats at the moment, its unreal! One of them will probably be the beta tape recorder of the future you know.

merry xmas everyone

regards

Justin

YAY!

Mine delivered about 20mins ago thought i should give my first impressions and ask a few questions then i'm back to playing with it.

It says to use two people to carry it but have three when unboxing its a scary moment when you lift the tv and the padding comes out with it, the extra person should hold them down plus its one heavy tv.

Setup was incredibly easy found it found all the digital channels by itself and one of the first things i saw was the 7HD loop of the the great outdoors and its looked fantastic!

What have people done with their ferrite cores? i didnt loop the power cable through twice i only clamped it.

The tv itself is a fingerprint and dust magnet what are you all using to clean it? the supplied cloth?

Should i be messing around with all of the picture setting within the first 100 hours of use?

It is definitely putting out some heat and i can see my energy bill going up, but if i cared about that i would have gone lcd.

Overall the tv is better than i could have ever expected, now all i need is an upscaling dvd player until the format wars are over, or a nice combo drive comes along.

Yeh its pretty heavy alright. I just put the ferrite core on the power cable, it said the other one was for the headphone lead or something. I read on here that they dont do much or something but I put mine on anyway.

The digital tuner is cool isnt it? Although I dont know why they always pick up multiple channels of the same kind, like 4 channel 7's. I dont think it matters if you tune the tv now, just watch out for static images on there. Its a hot tv for sure, will only be used at night mainly here though so shouldnt see much diff in power usage. Have fun with it, just in time for xmas hey )

regards

Justin

Can anyone else confirm they have cracking noises coming from the top? Sounds like heat sinks hotting up or something.

I would very much like to be an Owner of this TV, but a few things are putting me off at the moment.

I want to use it as a PC screen and also use it as a HTPC, I want it to my Main and onyl PC an dTV, Movies screen, but the Plasma burn in bit is putting me off. I have a PC CRT I am using now and Don't get any burn in, but not sure if a Plasma would be worse for burn in or not ?

Also I have heard that LCDs and Plasmas are noisy, thats one thing I don't want, I want it DEAD quiet or I would be very very angry. I pent a bit of time getting mY HTPC quiet and I don't want that to be for nothing. I would also get a HD DVD player and play me some HD movies as well.

Any feedback on my points would be nice, I want to give myself a nice Crissy pressie :)

Thanks.

Hi guys,

Merry Christmas! Some comments of mine for what it is worth!

I have found the default settings pretty good, but I will run my DVD calibration disc and have a fiddle with that today.

I find DYNAMIC picture setting too intense. I was watching Lord of the Rings the other night and the grass was fluro green with DYNAMIC, but on STANDARD all was well.

Speaking to some other sales reps, the bulk of them have said that the upscaling in the TV is as good as any upscaling DVD player. My DVD player doesn't upscale so I was thinking of buying one that does..... they said save your money and buy a PS3 for Bluray instead! I am happy to be told otherwise if others have found different.

i dont think that it even passes the inbuilt hd tuner in 5.1, ive watched numerous 10hd and 7hd shows and none have come thru in any format other than digital 2.0. very dissappointing so far.

I have found sound output depends on what you are watching on the HD/SD channels. I currently have VIDEO HITS on 10HD and my receiver is picking it up as a DD5.1 signal. I have connected the optical out from the TV to the receiver.

Flick to a SD channel and the DD5.1 light on my amp goes out. However, I assume on a HD channel it doesn't necessarily mean the source material is in DD5.1 even if my amp shows a DD5.1 stream present?

I agree picture quality varies greatly depending on the quality of the source material.

i have my tv setup the same. the paperwork does say that it outputs in 2ch mode only. seems pointless having it to me. but at least being dd2.0 my amp can us pl2 to mix it 2 5.1 or 6.1. not tru surround, but still sounds fuller. is it possible ur amp is just processing the 2ch signal.

The screen outputs DD5.1 from it's digital tuner via the optical out. It just wont pass 5.1 through from another digital source.

Check page 68 of the owners manual under the section "listening through a Home Theater".

Works just fine on my receiver.

OMG, I nearly died on the spot.

I went out from 3pm Christmas Eve until 5pm Christmad Day, to arrive home to find my beautilful new P9 turned on with No Signal and the component message in the top left hand corner burning itself into the screen.

I turned on my amp and sure enough it was burned it badly.

I could only assume the cat has rubbed against the on/off button and turned it on.

After madly browsing the web for a fix and flicking through the manual, I ran the White Wash screen from 6.30pm till 7am this morning.

Thankfully all traces of the burnt image has GONE.

One downfall I see with this TV (and I guess many others) is it doesnt have a physical proper on/off switch, just the "standby" button on the front of the unit.

I will now either make a hat out of the cat (joking) or turn the entire theatre system off at the wall before going out.

I hope this helps you all if you find yourself in the same situation. Rest assured the white wash feature works a treat.

Cheers

Scott