Sign in to follow this  
myrantz

Htpc As An Idea Is Obselete?

You must be using Windows.. :lol:... I switched to Linux and hadn't look back since.

not too sure about the client side yet thought.. I just want something that boots up in 1s and less while generating zero heat/noise (is that too much to ask? :P)

The diskless media players are sorta-kinda there but you've always got the problem that some new codec arrives and the hardware doesn't cope. I'm hoping that since the industry is pretty much settled on 1080p the codecs will settle down too. Or maybe the Apple TV gizmo might finally become useful

As for Linux - I've been dual-booting since the early nineties but it's always lagged Windows when it comes to device support. The DXR2 was only useable under Windows until the initial Xing player crack for css showed up. The HDTV card I bought was one of the first supported under Linux, but that was a year after it was released. And xine/mplayer haven't always been great for viewing mpeg files due to the decoding overhead. Damn ATI to heck - they only just got xv accelerated video support working recently in their binary video driver. Sucks to be me for buying ATI but at the time I bought it, for games, the Radeon was the best card.

Probably the most frustrating thing is that (cruddy) Windows always works better as a HTPC but is next to useless for file sharing (sooooo sloooooow), where Linux will serve things like lightning with no CPU overhead, but the drivers and software on the HTPC side are rubbish, late or non-existent.

hi,

slightly off topic, but i'm unable to start a new thread.

i have an HTPC which i've been happily using with my Sony KVHX32M31 for a few years using the component out of an NVIDIA 6600GT.

I recently upgraded to a Radeon HD3870, but i cannot get a compatible component output adapter for this card anywhere.

so, i thought i would try and use the RGBHV capability of my TV and connect to this card via the DVI to VGA adapter (the DVI output on the card also contains pins carrying a VGA single) and a cable i purchased which breaks out the VGA to RGBHV outputs.

i am having problems.

the initial motherboard splash screen displays ok on the TV, then when the boot up sequence commences the writing becomes all garbled (like vertical and horizontal hold are both out of whack), then when it gets to the initial Windows screen it looks fine again, until the Windows boot up process has completed, then the picture becomes all ripped up again (as before).

i know the VGA output of the card is working as i've tested it on an LCD monitor.

so i'm thinking it may be an issue with the TV??

any ideas? i

hi,

slightly off topic, but i'm unable to start a new thread.

i have an HTPC which i've been happily using with my Sony KVHX32M31 for a few years using the component out of an NVIDIA 6600GT.

I recently upgraded to a Radeon HD3870, but i cannot get a compatible component output adapter for this card anywhere.

so, i thought i would try and use the RGBHV capability of my TV and connect to this card via the DVI to VGA adapter (the DVI output on the card also contains pins carrying a VGA single) and a cable i purchased which breaks out the VGA to RGBHV outputs.

i am having problems.

the initial motherboard splash screen displays ok on the TV, then when the boot up sequence commences the writing becomes all garbled (like vertical and horizontal hold are both out of whack), then when it gets to the initial Windows screen it looks fine again, until the Windows boot up process has completed, then the picture becomes all ripped up again (as before).

i know the VGA output of the card is working as i've tested it on an LCD monitor.

so i'm thinking it may be an issue with the TV??

any ideas? i

Change the refresh rate on your video card to something the TV understands. If you still have the manual for the TV, it will detail which resolutions and which refresh rates it can cope with (over RGBHV for example, it might only be happy at 50 or 60Hz and you'll have to adjust the refresh rate to suit). My guess is since you can see the Windows logo OK (standard VGA at 60Hz), when your computer starts windows properly, it's pushing out a resolution/refresh combination that the TV doesn't understand.

Change the refresh rate on your video card to something the TV understands. If you still have the manual for the TV, it will detail which resolutions and which refresh rates it can cope with (over RGBHV for example, it might only be happy at 50 or 60Hz and you'll have to adjust the refresh rate to suit). My guess is since you can see the Windows logo OK (standard VGA at 60Hz), when your computer starts windows properly, it's pushing out a resolution/refresh combination that the TV doesn't understand.

yes, i changed the resolution to 800 x 600, then finally to 1080i @ 30hz with some difficulty, swapping cables in an out.

but the picture is massively overscanned. unfortunately the ATI Catalyst software doesnt provide all the extra resolutions that i need (as it does with component) when i'm using VGA to RGBHV. If i were able to get a component HDTV adapter for this card, i know the software would support it however, these seem to no longer be available anywhere. (i proved this using an X800 adapter, i got the resolutions ok, but there was only 2 colours, as the dongle is not fully compatible with the HD3870).

it seems the refresh rate that the card puts out natively via VGA is not compatible with the TV, as its all messed up when its going through the boot up process. (this was never an issue with my old nvidia card)

so i'm stuck with VGA to RGBHV and i'm not sure how to sort out the overscan issues as the software only provides the adjustments when using component.

very frustrated. i'm considering selling my HD3870 and getting a 9600GT as i know that comes with a dongle and i always seem to have better luck with Nvidia cards.

Edited by ricecrackers

very frustrated. i'm considering selling my HD3870 and getting a 9600GT as i know that comes with a dongle and i always seem to have better luck with Nvidia cards.

I'll concur with that. ATI are just basically trouble when it comes to HTPC applications. I still have an unused dongle here that is supposed to dump out 1080i from the back of my old ATI 9600XT but do you think I can get it to talk any sense? Nope.

The overscanning issue is a bummer - likely you might get a working set of resolutions/timings if you played with something like Powerstrip for long enough, but in my experience the PC and the TV will both the obsolete by the time you get it working :rolleyes:

well i've managed to trick it into allowing me extra resolutions by plugging in my incompatible x800 HDTV cable, then selecting clone for the 2 displays, so i can effectively get 1728 x 952 via VGA.

however there seems to be a bug in the software, that when i adjust the screen position in monitor properties, it moves the whole screen up by the width of the taskbar and i cant get it back down.

i'm not liking ATI right now.

well i've managed to trick it into allowing me extra resolutions by plugging in my incompatible x800 HDTV cable, then selecting clone for the 2 displays, so i can effectively get 1728 x 952 via VGA.

however there seems to be a bug in the software, that when i adjust the screen position in monitor properties, it moves the whole screen up by the width of the taskbar and i cant get it back down.

i'm not liking ATI right now.

in case anyone is interested, i ended up buying and selling another brand HD3850 so i could get hold of the HDTV component adapter for that.

this adapter works fine with my HD3870 and gives far better results than the RGBHV solution. I can get 1080i @ 30Hz (as i could with my old Nvidia card) working fine with my Sony KVHX32M31.

the CCC software works much better with a TV using component than it does using RGBHV. the picture is aligned properly too. there seem to be a bug in CCC when using RGBHV has it would move the desktop up and across the screen, by about the width of a toolbar, and there was no way of getting it back.

Been a while since the intiial post, but I thought I would throw in my comments. In terms of Server / Client I must confess that Vista Media Center & XBOX 360's have been working like a dream for a long time.

I have a 1.5 terrabyte "Server" running Vista 32 bit in the HT room. That is connected Via HDMI to the Plasma & Projector. It's also connected to the Gigabit lan running throughout the house.

I have another 72" 1080P RPTV being run by XBOX 360 exclusively as a Media Center in the lounge room. I have a Plasma in the bedroom which has another XBOX 360 running of the server as well.

These systems are used mainly to watch Recorded TV. I am using IceTV and program one week in advance. The recorded shows pile up in VMC queue and I can watch them flawlessly via HDMI on any of my TV's. On all three, 1080i TV is sensational. I can also watch DVD movies (converted to MPEG2).

I'm please to say that the system is pretty much 100% stable.

The only slight hickup is Divx support on the XBOX's, though I understand this is now possible using the native XBOX interface, rather than the Media Center interface. This is more a problem for the kids than me. Given the size screens I'm using, a Divx file just doesn't cut it quality wise !

My only "Wish" is to be able to port Foxtel into the server. I have an IQ, so recording is not a problem, but would like to have the IQ in the HT room and be able to 'view' it remotely using the remote extenders via the COAX network throughout the house.

All in all though, I love the quality and the reliability and the ease of use.

Thanks to three Harmony remotes, the WAF is very high ! :)

God I love my Harmony Remote Controls !!!!!