Sign in to follow this  
jamie-w

Sharp Aquos D83 Series

You're right Hank...I actually noticed this after I'd posted my note. Maybe it means that with 24Hz, settigns are done automatically. Anyway I've gone back to Sharp with an email seeking clarification.

cheers

blairy

As I suspected Sharp have confirmed that 24Hz is automatically processed....

"The film mode in the menu is used for materials which converted from film to PAL/NTSC DVD and user have a choice to try to make the TV reverse this process to display in film mode. However for Blu ray material the output is 24Hz therefore the TV will automatically display in film mode to match that material."

cheers

blairy

JPP, in reference to FTA SETTINGS for LC46D83X (576i/p, 720p and 1080i)

going from one of your previous posts, this is a good starting point

AV SETTING (USER)

OPC ON

Contrast 30

Brightness 5

Colour 0

Tint 0

Sharpness 0

Backlight ?

In the Advanced Menu:

Colour Temp MIDDLE

Fine Motion ON

Film Mode ADVANCED

Active Contrast OFF

Range of OPC

MAX 14 MIN 0

Under the Digital Menu

DNR OFF

Under the Wide Button

FULL

I have a couple of Questions on the FTA Settings

1. Blacklight Setting ?

2. With the latest firmware ‘ver 1.47’ removing the white tearing lines issue, under the wide button set to “Full” or “Dot x Dot” mode for FTA

3. Recommend different settings for DVD / BLU Ray Playback via HDMI 1.3 ? Best port on the LCD to connect a Blue Ray via HDMI 1.3 ?

If so I would appreciate any help, I'am very much the novice here....

On a separate issue, I will be connecting a sharp BD-HP21X blu ray player to the LCD, noting that my Dig Amp for the surround is only capable of DTS 5.1 via optical. My question is as the dig amp is already connected to the LCD via the optical out on the LCD, do I also need to separately connect the optical audio out of the Blu Ray to another input source on the dig amp, or will the existing LCD to dig amp cable do the job of the 5.1 DTS for me when playing the Blu Ray ? hope this makes sense.

Edited by draheimy

In the absence of JPP, let me have a crack at these. :)

1. If you set the OPC to On, the backlight will be automatically adjusted depending on the light conditions in your room, so backlight setting is not important.

2. If you have the latest firmware installed, then it is best to set the wide mode to dot by dot.

3. Not sure what you mean here but basically plug your Blu-ray player into any HDMi port and it will be fine.

I recently picked up a copy of Digital Video Essentials on Blu-Ray and after calibration, had the following settings:

OPC: Off

Backlight: STD

Contrast: +31

Brightness: +1

Colour: -2

Tint: +1

Sharpness: 0

I was basically happy with these settings, except I turned the OPC back on as the light was too strong.

The optical connection from your TV to your amp will not pass through the multi-channel signal, it will output the 2 channel mix that gets played through your tv speakers.

You will need to connect a separate optical cable from your Blu-ray player to your amp to get DD/DTS soundtracks out of your Blu-rays.

JPP, in reference to FTA SETTINGS for LC46D83X (576i/p, 720p and 1080i)

going from one of your previous posts, this is a good starting point

AV SETTING (USER)

OPC ON

Contrast 30

Brightness 5

Colour 0

Tint 0

Sharpness 0

Backlight ?

In the Advanced Menu:

Colour Temp MIDDLE

Fine Motion ON

Film Mode ADVANCED

Active Contrast OFF

Range of OPC

MAX 14 MIN 0

Under the Digital Menu

DNR OFF

Under the Wide Button

FULL

I have a couple of Questions on the FTA Settings

1. Blacklight Setting ?

2. With the latest firmware ‘ver 1.47’ removing the white tearing lines issue, under the wide button set to “Full” or “Dot x Dot” mode for FTA

3. Recommend different settings for DVD / BLU Ray Playback via HDMI 1.3 ? Best port on the LCD to connect a Blue Ray via HDMI 1.3 ?

If so I would appreciate any help, I'am very much the novice here....

On a separate issue, I will be connecting a sharp BD-HP21X blu ray player to the LCD, noting that my Dig Amp for the surround is only capable of DTS 5.1 via optical. My question is as the dig amp is already connected to the LCD via the optical out on the LCD, do I also need to separately connect the optical audio out of the Blu Ray to another input source on the dig amp, or will the existing LCD to dig amp cable do the job of the 5.1 DTS for me when playing the Blu Ray ? hope this makes sense.

Firstly Hank, thanking you for your help & information.

Secondly is anybody making use of the "aquos link" compatibility. I will soon be purchasing a Blu Ray

player to couple with my aquos 46" D83. Was looking at purchasing the soon to be released into Australia (november) sharp 'BD-HP21' or 'BD-HP50' to utilize the 'aquos link' for simplicity of operation (common remote etc). Any opinions on whether Is 'aquos link' a useful feature worth influencing the purchase a sharp Blu Ray over other players (with potentially better features), or is 'aquos link' a bit of a sales gimmick ?

Edited by draheimy

Firstly Hank, thanking you for your help & information.

Secondly is anybody making use of the "aquos link" compatibility. I will soon be purchasing a Blu Ray

player to couple with my aquos 46" D83. Was looking at purchasing the soon to be released into Australia (november) sharp 'BD-HP21' or 'BD-HP50' to utilize the 'aquos link' for simplicity of operation (common remote etc). Any opinions on whether Is 'aquos link' a useful feature worth influencing the purchase a sharp Blu Ray over other players (with potentially better features), or is 'aquos link' a bit of a sales gimmick ?

I've got the BDHP20 and it too has the aquos link feature. Came for free with my panel. Based on quality and features I would not have purchased it.

Aquos link is ok. Turn on bluray player and tv turns on automatically, altternatively set tv to input used for bluray and player turns on automatically. Whilst this feature presently only works within same branded equipment, the hdmi standard 1.3 allows this function to work across brands...the manufacturers just don't use it.

Were this is intended to work well (again never tried it) is with a sharp hdmi linked recorder. Use the tv's epg to set recordings and the tv will turn on your recorder at the set time. Detailed in manual if you're fascinated by this.

I've now set my system up with all sources running thru my AVR. I presume aquos link won't work in this circumstance, although have never tried it. The sharp BD player was relegated to a second room.

Also, if you desparately need this functionality, a universal remote might be a better answer.

thinking about buying a LC52D83X what do guys think??? good???

My Brother-in-law picked one up for $3300. Go for it.

Have had my LC42D83X for a few months now and quite happy with most things. I have not fiddled much with the settings and honestly I did not notice huge differences when I did.

One problem I am having is with the PQ of the DVD signal. I have tried two DVD players, both older models but nothing out of the ordinary. Both I have tried with component video as they dont have HDMI. In both cases the PQ is horrible - mainly a resolution issue.

In the set-up menu I have selected component as the input source, but no improvement.

I realise DVD is only outputing 576i res, but surely it would not look as bad as it does? Put it this way, the DVD PQ was fine on my old analogue with the same DVD players.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

Bit of a tricky one to answer amonahan as PQ can be subjective.

Your DVDs aren't going to look as good on a 42" widescreen as they looked on your old CRT because the picture is being stretched over a larger area. But the PQ should still be acceptable, one of the reasons I bought my Sharp was the scaler did a much better job of displaying DVD and SD FTA than other units. My DVDs look quite watchable on my LC46D83X, played through a PS3 connected via HDMI. Component shouldn't be that much of a step down.

Perhaps you could post a picture to show us an example?

Edited by HankJones

Are you still running a yellow composite lead? Maybe the TV's auto select is picking the wrong input? Meaning I know you have the component input selected on the TV but the component input still has the composite lead available to aid set up. Change it from auto to component. (reading your post again I think have already tried this)

Do you have options on the DVD players for output type? Is it on component/YUV out? Turned off progressive out?

What exactly makes the picture bad? Small blocks, lots of noise?

Rob

Bit of a tricky one to answer amonahan as PQ can be subjective.

Your DVDs aren't going to look as good on a 42" widescreen as they looked on your old CRT because the picture is being stretched over a larger area. But the PQ should still be acceptable, one of the reasons I bought my Sharp was the scaler did a much better job of displaying DVD and SD FTA than other units. My DVDs look quite watchable on my LC46D83X, played through a PS3 connected via HDMI. Component shouldn't be that much of a step down.

Perhaps you could post a picture to show us an example?

I think you'll find the ps3 upscales the dvd image..I know mine does.

Have had my LC42D83X for a few months now and quite happy with most things. I have not fiddled much with the settings and honestly I did not notice huge differences when I did.

One problem I am having is with the PQ of the DVD signal. I have tried two DVD players, both older models but nothing out of the ordinary. Both I have tried with component video as they dont have HDMI. In both cases the PQ is horrible - mainly a resolution issue.

In the set-up menu I have selected component as the input source, but no improvement.

I realise DVD is only outputing 576i res, but surely it would not look as bad as it does? Put it this way, the DVD PQ was fine on my old analogue with the same DVD players.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

Simple solution is an upscaling dvd player. These can now be had for under $200 even if you factor in cost of hdmi cable

I think you'll find the ps3 upscales the dvd image..I know mine does.

Hi Blairy, fair point. Since I bought my TV, I have bought a PS3 which scales DVDs and got a Foxtel IQ2 box which scales TV, so the scaler on the TV isn't getting much use.

However, I think the scaler that the Sharp has should be doing a decent enough job.

how do you know what firmware you have.... and should i upgrade it?

how do you know what firmware you have.... and should i upgrade it?

If you put your unit onto a TV station, then go to Menu->Setup->Identification

There will be two white boxes with numbers on them, I believe the top one if the firmware version.

The firmware version on mine is M0807241, which I believe is the latest.

The latest drivers and install instructions can be downloaded from the Australian Sharp website, it's a simple process.

In the absence of JPP, let me have a crack at these. :)

I recently picked up a copy of Digital Video Essentials on Blu-Ray and after calibration, had the following settings:

OPC: Off

Backlight: STD

Contrast: +31

Brightness: +1

Colour: -2

Tint: +1

Sharpness: 0

I was basically happy with these settings, except I turned the OPC back on as the light was too strong.

These are an improvement on the out of teh box settings

...and what did you do with the advanced settings, colour temp, film mode etc?

Cheers

blairy

Hi all, long-time reader, first-time poster ... I'm about ready to take my first steps into the world of HDTV and have found the Sharp LC42D83X for $1899 delivered, which seems like an absolute bargain to me.

This thread has provided mostly positive accounts, bar the odd faulty panel or two ;) ... any other Aquos owners like to share their experiences?

Cheers,

Grantley Buffalo

Questions:

For FTA Digital TV, if I just connect my AV Receiver through the toshlink optical out of my LC46D83X will I get DD5.1 surround sound when its broadcasted ?

Are there any settings on the LC46D83X that I need to change and or check ?

These are an improvement on the out of teh box settings

...and what did you do with the advanced settings, colour temp, film mode etc?

Cheers

blairy

Hi Blairy, haven't checked back here for a while.

My advanced settings are as follows.

Colour Temp - middle

Fine Motion - on

Film Mode - advanced

Active Contrast - off

Questions:

For FTA Digital TV, if I just connect my AV Receiver through the toshlink optical out of my LC46D83X will I get DD5.1 surround sound when its broadcasted ?

Are there any settings on the LC46D83X that I need to change and or check ?

Yes you will get surrund sound when it is broadcast. This is covered in the manual on pages 38 - 39.

First step, connect optical fibre cable from tv to avr (p39)

Then: Menu>Option>Output Volume Select>Variable. This mutes the tv speakers and outputs sound via the digital cabel you just connected.

Next: Menu>Digital Audio Output>Dolby Digital will give you DD sound when it's broadcast, otherwise you get PCM.

Good luck

Colour Temp - middle

Fine Motion - on

Film Mode - advanced

Active Contrast - off

Thanks and I must say it looks very good. Was very pleased with settings I had previoously, but this blows me away.

Thanks

Colour Temp - middle

Fine Motion - on

Film Mode - advanced

Active Contrast - off

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two questions

1.Hank (or anybody else that would like to respond),

what have you set your 3D - Y/C to (STD, Fast, Slow, OFF) ??

2. If I do the following setting: Menu>Option>Output Volume Select> 'Variable'.

This mutes the tv speakers and outputs sound via the digital cabel.

Is this the case wheather or not my AV receiver is turned on ?

ie- under the above setting, if the AV receiver is turned off will I get the sound

once again back through the tv speakers, or will there be no sound at all meaning

I will have to toggle the setting back to 'Fixed' if not using the AV receiver ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by draheimy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two questions

1.Hank (or anybody else that would like to respond),

what have you set your 3D - Y/C to (STD, Fast, Slow, OFF) ??

2. If I do the following setting: Menu>Option>Output Volume Select> 'Variable'.

This mutes the tv speakers and outputs sound via the digital cabel.

Is this the case wheather or not my AV receiver is turned on ?

ie- under the above setting, if the AV receiver is turned off will I get the sound

once again back through the tv speakers, or will there be no sound at all meaning

I will have to toggle the setting back to 'Fixed' if not using the AV receiver ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll have a bash at these....

1. the y/c option is only shown when watching fta. On my panel the option is greyed out. How do you get it activated? Sorry that probably wasn't much help to you.

2. Setting output volume select to variable kills the tv's speakers and puts the sound thru the avr. You can also set it to fixed. This puts the sound out of both tv speakers and also to the avr (just tested it) but when using the avr you need to turn down or mute the tv speakers.

Hope some of that is helpful.

Cheers

I'm about ready to take my first steps into the world of HDTV and have found the Sharp LC42D83X for $1899 delivered, which seems like an absolute bargain to me.

Bump...

Is this a "go for it" price, or would I be better off spending about the same for a Pana plasma, considering I watch a fair bit of sport/movies/games.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

GB

Edited by GrantleyBuffalo