Sign in to follow this  
jamie-w

Sharp Aquos D83 Series

first time poster

i've been looking at the lc52d83x - i've got a retailer down to $3199 delivered - thats a cracker isnt it?

That's about half RRP -definitely a cracker

Sharp LC52D83X

Is retailer talking about 52"? Are you sure this is current model? If so go for it.

That's about half RRP -definitely a cracker

Sharp LC52D83X

Is retailer talking about 52"? Are you sure this is current model? If so go for it.

yep - phoned him today after hn couldnt get near it - buying on wed, then will post where and the name of the rep. will see if i can push further! anyone know if they usually chuck in free brackets/cables etc

on another note, i'll then have a 42inch sd lg to get rid off - cash converters or ebay?

What happened to the Sharp range, bought the aquos 8 months ago and havent heard anything in the wind about a new line.

What happened to the Sharp range, bought the aquos 8 months ago and havent heard anything in the wind about a new line. Plus JB stopped stocking them, is there going to be a new model?

Just got the LC42D83X from harvey norman, $2699 plus free delivery. If someone is asking more then this, just head to HN's. Just waiting on it to arrive, apparently SHARP is out of stock at the moment. Can't wait to hook it up to the ps3. I'll update it with the new software as soon as i get it. This thread has been good in answering any questions i had about this TV. Looking forward to getting it. Will post more later about how I find it and any other helpful tips.

OUCH! The D63 is almost half price.

OUCH! The D63 is almost half price.

Well thats good to know but this is the D83 thread not the D63 thread. If i wanted to know about other tv's I would have asked a question like "whats a good tv under 2699?" (which im sure there are heaps better options then the D63). And I think think you are having abit a of a play with youreslf if u reckon you can get the D63 delivered for $1350. But it doesnt matter anyway because I was just telling everyone, in the D83 thread, how much i paid for the D83, which was a good price. Wanker

Two freezes in the last three/four days.

Hhhhhmmmmm

Both occassions involved youngest boy and the Xbox. Eight years old and he's convinced the tv has a virus :lol:

On previous occassions I was blaming the Oppo DVD player.

Might be time to flag this issue to Sharp.

blairy

Yes, I had another freeze too a couple of days ago. Thought I had it licked what with my specific power on sequence (through my Harmony). Maybe I could add a long delay between all the other gear and the TV - that is if that's what a play of course. Anyways, this issue should certainly be brought to Shaps's attention - I thought soemone already had?

Well, touch wood I haven't a freeze for over a week now.

I changed the HDMI input from input five to input six and so far no more freezes.

Can't imagine why.

What inputs are others using?

blairy

Well, touch wood I haven't a freeze for over a week now.

I changed the HDMI input from input five to input six and so far no more freezes.

Can't imagine why.

What inputs are others using?

blairy

Have always used input 6. Freezes occur around once a month.

Yesterday I saw the lateset brochure from JB hifi, the LC52D83X have drop down to $3492 retail price. Unlucking 2 months ago I bought the LC52PD7X with $2999 even are included 2 years extending warranty and delivery fee. Anyway have anyone seen the new Sharp Aquos LC65RX1X in the market yet? I saw it from the Bing Lee web site they sell it $10,999 (RRP).

From the specifications the new 65" model only increase the contrast (Dynamic contrast 15,000:1/native contrast 3000:1), overall the features are same as the D83 series. The only thing I wondering is the LC65RX1X is still 4ms? Sharp didn't mention the response time in the offical website. Hopefully the model is 2ms if possible if not than the only differences properly are the new screen size and better contrast compare to D83 series.

Hi all, Binglee now has LC42D83X for $2499 on the no deposit and no interest until 2011. I thought it's a pretty sweet deal and thinking about getting one. Prolly can knock off 200-300 if you were to pay it in one go.

I wanted to ask if anyone had any real issues with the 42". Some issues were mentioned for 46" such as dead pixels, PQ and movement. In the CNET review for 46" it had mentioned the issue with movement (quote and link are below).

Has anyone had any of these issues with the 42"? Thanks in advance!

CNET review quote

"But where the television falls down slightly is on how it handles movement. While it will do 24p without much in the way of judder on compatible Blu-rays it's not able to handle other forms of movement quite as well. Despite being fed a progressive source in the form of a Blu-ray at 1080p, the Sharp had some minor combing or interlacing issues on moving scenes. Large slabs of background or moving figures would dissolve into a fine grille, and this was visible up to two metres away. And it wasn't only Blu-ray but most content showed this interlacing problem — whether the TV's noise reduction was turned on or not. As a result, we've had to dock the otherwise impressive TV a few points.

On a related note, until now we've yet to see a 100Hz mode we'd use on a full-time basis and the Sharp did nothing to change this. While, the "Fine Motion Advanced" mode was a little subtler than on other TVs we've seen recently, it was still subject to some minor artefacts. "

Link: http://www.cnet.com.au/tvs/lcd/0,239035307,339290887,00.htm

CNET review quote

"But where the television falls down slightly is on how it handles movement. While it will do 24p without much in the way of judder on compatible Blu-rays it's not able to handle other forms of movement quite as well. Despite being fed a progressive source in the form of a Blu-ray at 1080p, the Sharp had some minor combing or interlacing issues on moving scenes. Large slabs of background or moving figures would dissolve into a fine grille, and this was visible up to two metres away. And it wasn't only Blu-ray but most content showed this interlacing problem — whether the TV's noise reduction was turned on or not. As a result, we've had to dock the otherwise impressive TV a few points.

On a related note, until now we've yet to see a 100Hz mode we'd use on a full-time basis and the Sharp did nothing to change this. While, the "Fine Motion Advanced" mode was a little subtler than on other TVs we've seen recently, it was still subject to some minor artefacts. "

I'm a little surprised at the comments on 1080p performance - I don't get the combling or interlacing they mention. Perhaps it's because I use a Video processor between my sources and the Sharp or perhaps because I have yet to feed it 1080p24. I certainly don't get this on 1080p50 and 1080p60. I do know though, that it doesn't handle 24Hz refresh rate completely natively as there is some judder visible, which is not the case for 50 and 60Hz where it is totally smooth.

I agree that although I really like the Fine Motion, and have it ON all the time, it's not perfect by any means and when motion/panning gets too fast, it gives up and shows the normal judder of 24fps film (on film sources). When you are used to seeing smooth panning 90%+ of the time, the 24fps judder really jarrs the eye.

Edited by JPP

I'm a little surprised at the comments on 1080p performance - I don't get the combling or interlacing they mention. Perhaps it's because I use a Video processor between my sources and the Sharp or perhaps because I have yet to feed it 1080p24. I certainly don't get this on 1080p50 and 1080p60. I do know though, that it doesn't handle 24Hz refresh rate completely natively as there is some judder visible, which is not the case for 50 and 60Hz where it is totally smooth.

I agree that although I really like the Fine Motion, and have it ON all the time, it's not perfect by any means and when motion/panning gets too fast, it gives up and shows the normal judder of 24fps film (on film sources). When you are used to seeing smooth panning 90%+ of the time, the 24fps judder really jarrs the eye.

Cheers for that JPP.

I forgot to mention that in the Good Gear Guide's review for LC42D83X that they countered the problem with judder by changing the refresh rate to 120hz. Ever tried that?

GGG quote and link:

"The LC42D83X also comes with 100/120Hz playback and 24p support which helps improve smoothness and remove juddering. As most film is shot at 24 frames per second, when they are played back on standard screens that refresh at 60 frames per second they look a little unnatural. By having a refresh rate that is a multiple of 24 (i.e: 120) everything is viewed as it was intended. The image was definitely noticeably smoother on the Sharp, and there were none of the artefacts we spotted when using Sony's Motionflow technology. "

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/index.php/...1;pid;5103;pt;1

Hi housejunkie, I don't believe there's any way to manually change the refresh rate on the set. I think the article is pointing out that the sharp has 120hz processing which has it's advantage over a 60hz set, I don't think the article is saying that they switched the refresh rate from 60hz to 120hz on the Sharp. That's the way I read it anyway.

If it is possible to play around with the refresh rate, then I would like to know as I get significant judder on panning scenes in a lot of Blu-rays, running at 24p.

Edited by HankJones

Hi housejunkie, I don't believe there's any way to manually change the refresh rate on the set. I think the article is pointing out that the sharp has 120hz processing which has it's advantage over a 60hz set, I don't think the article is saying that they switched the refresh rate from 60hz to 120hz on the Sharp. That's the way I read it anyway.

If it is possible to play around with the refresh rate, then I would like to know as I get significant judder on panning scenes in a lot of Blu-rays, running at 24p.

Don't forget though, that you'll always see more judder on a standard TV on film material than you do on Video stuff. We speed up the films on TV here to 25fps so that we don't get the 3:2 pulldown judder they do in the USA as they run at 60Hz when displaying 24fps film.

So, you'll see the same amount of judder on a film shown on our PAL TV system here as you do on a 24fps Blue Ray movie. It's only when you bring into play the 100/120Hz features of the new TVs that you can potentially get the smooth panning that Video offers, provided the set does the interframe interpolation of each frame. Simply showing the frame 5 times in the one video frame does not make panning smoother. That's the same as the movie theatres chopping up each film frame 3 times. It cuts down on flicker, but does nothing for judder.

Edited by JPP

thanks guys. my question now would be that how does the tv choose when to use 100hz or 120hz?

i did have a chance to check out the unit in myer tonight but they only had chicken little blu-ray showing as they can't show G rated materials (i really wanted to ask the sales dude if anyone under 13 would be able to afford tv like that but i decided not to because he was nice enough). nevertheless, the picture was nice and smooth. good natrual colours unlike any of the sony imo. the PQ is definitely better than any of the LG and SAMSUNG ones nearby. the only thing that had similar quailities was the pana 37" pz800a. wonder where i can go and check out a proper movie with PEOPLE in it??! they could have at least be showing mr shervington doing a run!!

The TV will detect the type of signal and apply the best settings automatically. No user interaction required.

If you live in Melbourne, then I would recommend going to Carlton AV to check out the Sharps.

The TV will detect the type of signal and apply the best settings automatically. No user interaction required.

If you live in Melbourne, then I would recommend going to Carlton AV to check out the Sharps.

Cheers, I thought figured it out after I made that post lol.

In sydney. Prolly will have to wait till myer finishes the renovation.

what are some latest prices for the 42"?

Unless it gets it wrong. If it thinks it's receiving an interlaced source but actually receiving a progressive source wouldn't you get the combing effect?

On the point of tv hdmi freezing, I get that about once every 3 months so hasn't been a big issue for me. Pretty much only use it as a monitor via hdmi from my beyonwiz PVR. Given it seems to happen with various other devices I would think it's the sharp at fault. Oh this is on the 52" version for reference.

Rob

To turn on the 100/120Hz feature you need to use the Fine Motion Advanced setting. Once set to on a 60Hz/NTSC signal will be displayed as 120Hz and a 50Hz (PAL) signal will be displayed as 100Hz. Just got an email confirming this from Sharp. And no they didn't address what it does with 24Hz so I've asked that and am awaiting reply.

cheers

blairy

To turn on the 100/120Hz feature you need to use the Fine Motion Advanced setting. Once set to on a 60Hz/NTSC signal will be displayed as 120Hz and a 50Hz (PAL) signal will be displayed as 100Hz. Just got an email confirming this from Sharp. And no they didn't address what it does with 24Hz so I've asked that and am awaiting reply.

cheers

blairy

So simple when you think about it...

Fine Motion gives you 50/60 Hz at 100/120 Hz. To get the full benefit of 24 Hz turn on the Film Mode.

Cheers

blairy

yep - phoned him today after hn couldnt get near it - buying on wed, then will post where and the name of the rep. will see if i can push further! anyone know if they usually chuck in free brackets/cables etc

on another note, i'll then have a 42inch sd lg to get rid off - cash converters or ebay?

EBAY for sure but start the price high. Did you end up getting the TV?

So simple when you think about it...

Fine Motion gives you 50/60 Hz at 100/120 Hz. To get the full benefit of 24 Hz turn on the Film Mode.

Cheers

blairy

I'm not sure that's quite right, Blairy. When I play a Blu-ray, the film mode option is disabled.

I'm not sure that's quite right, Blairy. When I play a Blu-ray, the film mode option is disabled.

You're right Hank...I actually noticed this after I'd posted my note. Maybe it means that with 24Hz, settigns are done automatically. Anyway I've gone back to Sharp with an email seeking clarification.

cheers

blairy