Sign in to follow this  
jamie-w

Sharp Aquos D83 Series

Just an update on the white flickering lines: I believe Sharp are working on a software update that would resolve this problem. Not sure if the update can be done via the USB port ourselves or if it requires a technical service.

Got an email from Sharp on this very topic the other day....

we are analysing the symptom and if we came up with new software I will advise you. You can download it from the website and upload it in the unit your self via USB.

cheers blairy

Good one! Glad he asked for more info from this forum/thread. I've just had my 4th lockout/blackout tonight. As usual, a power cycle fixed it.

Turned on panel this morning and this has happended to em again too.

This time I think I left a dvd player, connected via hdmi, in pause mode for quite some time. Gotta remember to stop doing that - too much red wime me thinks :wacko:

cheers

blairy

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for your information regarding Sharp LCDTV. Your knowledge helps me a great deal. :D

Take care.

tdp

Another Gremlin?

I have been holding off to list this problem, but it has occurred three times now, so I think it's a genuine non-finger-trouble one.

I have my Sharp connected to a Video Processor via a HDMI port at 1080p.

All works well - no problems of any kind normally.

But, sometimes, the screen won't show a picture (remains black) on turn ON of the TV. I can bring up the Main Menu and Source selection menus, but it refuses to show a picture. I can't even change the source to TV. Although I can toggle up to it TV and press OK, or I press the DTV button as an alternative way to force it to its own internal tuner, nothing changes over and I am left with a black screen. On bringing up the source menu again, it again shows the available sources correctly, with the selection back on the HDMI input that is connected to the VP (Input 6).

Now, I have also reversed the power ON sequence so that the TV is switched on last, to maximise the chances to have HDMI/HDCP handshake protocol execute correctly, but that hasn't made any difference.

The ONLY way to get it back, that is get a picture again, is to turn it OFF at the power point. Pressing Standby on the Remote doesn't work.

Has anyone experienced this behaviour, either with a setup like mine, or under any other circumstances?

I have the 52" and I have experienced this problem twice. It happened when I had the dvd player connected to a hdmi input. I turned the set off and when I turned it on later it would not move from Input5. I could change it to TV or Input3 but it would keep going back to Input5 and it would not display a picture on this input. I called Sharp who said they never heard or the problem. His idea of help was to ask me for the model number so he could look at the user manual, he seemed to know nothing at all about the product. He gave me the number of the local service agent. I called and got a message saying he was away for 10 days. I called Sharp again and they gave me the number of the next closest agent who I rang and got told there was no way they were coming to my area. I called Sharp again and they told me there was nothing they could do. I asked about the firmware upgrade on their website and was told that they had no idea what it was for but if I uploaded it I would be in breech of my warranty.

I fixed the problem by doing a reset from the menu but then I had to reset everything back to the way I wanted it.

I have the 52" and I have experienced this problem twice. It happened when I had the dvd player connected to a hdmi input. I turned the set off and when I turned it on later it would not move from Input5. I could change it to TV or Input3 but it would keep going back to Input5 and it would not display a picture on this input. I called Sharp who said they never heard or the problem. His idea of help was to ask me for the model number so he could look at the user manual, he seemed to know nothing at all about the product. He gave me the number of the local service agent. I called and got a message saying he was away for 10 days. I called Sharp again and they gave me the number of the next closest agent who I rang and got told there was no way they were coming to my area. I called Sharp again and they told me there was nothing they could do. I asked about the firmware upgrade on their website and was told that they had no idea what it was for but if I uploaded it I would be in breech of my warranty.

I fixed the problem by doing a reset from the menu but then I had to reset everything back to the way I wanted it.

The latest firmware has nothing to do this with this issue nor the white flickering lines. It is something to do with improving reception for remote regional areas.

The difficulty with this issue is it that it is hdmi related and it is quite possibly your source equipment that is the cause of the problem. HDMI handshake issues are a real pita.

I haven't broached subject with Sharp, but with my setup, it could well be sharp, denon, oppo, hitachi, sony or microsoft who should be blamed. On top of that the problem is not consistent so very difficult to track.

On the rare occassions it's happened to me I can point to something a bit silly that I have done...left receiver on overnight, left dvd in pause mode for hours etc. This is not normal behaviour and the equipment onviously doesn't like it.

Are others experiencing this as a run of the mill day to day issue?

cheers

blairy

Another Gremlin?

I have been holding off to list this problem, but it has occurred three times now, so I think it's a genuine non-finger-trouble one.

I have my Sharp connected to a Video Processor via a HDMI port at 1080p.

All works well - no problems of any kind normally.

But, sometimes, the screen won't show a picture (remains black) on turn ON of the TV. I can bring up the Main Menu and Source selection menus, but it refuses to show a picture. I can't even change the source to TV. Although I can toggle up to it TV and press OK, or I press the DTV button as an alternative way to force it to its own internal tuner, nothing changes over and I am left with a black screen. On bringing up the source menu again, it again shows the available sources correctly, with the selection back on the HDMI input that is connected to the VP (Input 6).

Now, I have also reversed the power ON sequence so that the TV is switched on last, to maximise the chances to have HDMI/HDCP handshake protocol execute correctly, but that hasn't made any difference.

The ONLY way to get it back, that is get a picture again, is to turn it OFF at the power point. Pressing Standby on the Remote doesn't work.

Has anyone experienced this behaviour, either with a setup like mine, or under any other circumstances?

Yes, I have the same problem. Lately it has been occurring almost everyday, quite annoying. The only solution is to pull the power plug.

I have a Beyonwiz DP-P1 connected via HDMI, when starting up it get stuck on this input with no display, and you can't change inputs. The problem is escalated as we normally use this PVR when watching TV, and not the inbuilt tuner.

Hopefully someone can find a solution...

Billy

Yes, I have the same problem. Lately it has been occurring almost everyday, quite annoying. The only solution is to pull the power plug.

I have a Beyonwiz DP-P1 connected via HDMI, when starting up it get stuck on this input with no display, and you can't change inputs. The problem is escalated as we normally use this PVR when watching TV, and not the inbuilt tuner.

Hopefully someone can find a solution...

Billy

Billy have you reported this to Sharp?

Does it happen everyday or only when your PVR is recording something whilst the panel is turned off (say when you are out or asleep)?

Cheers

blairy

Billy have you reported this to Sharp?

Does it happen everyday or only when your PVR is recording something whilst the panel is turned off (say when you are out or asleep)?

Cheers

blairy

Hi blairy,

No, I haven't reported this to Sharp. They might just say that its my PVR's fault?

It hasn't happened the last 2 days, and I haven't recorded anything in the last couple of days. You might be onto something? It might be related to recording something on the PVR while the TV is off. But when the recording is finished the PVR turns off anyway?

Based on your suggestion, I will set a recording up tonight and see if I get the problem the next morning.

I will post my test results.

Billy

Hi blairy,

No, I haven't reported this to Sharp. They might just say that its my PVR's fault?

It hasn't happened the last 2 days, and I haven't recorded anything in the last couple of days. You might be onto something? It might be related to recording something on the PVR while the TV is off. But when the recording is finished the PVR turns off anyway?

Based on your suggestion, I will set a recording up tonight and see if I get the problem the next morning.

I will post my test results.

Billy

Yeah, let us know how it goes Billy. I suspect it's not so much to do with your pvr, but more to do with teh hdmi handshake issue.

Got an email from Sharp on this very topic the other day....

we are analysing the symptom and if we came up with new software I will advise you. You can download it from the website and upload it in the unit your self via USB.

cheers blairy

...and now back on the white lines on LHS panel when watching 1080i FTA broadcast....got an email from Sharp today...

We are testing the software at the moment, I will advise when I upload on the website.

Cheers

blairy

...and now back on the white lines on LHS panel when watching 1080i FTA broadcast....got an email from Sharp today...

We are testing the software at the moment, I will advise when I upload on the website.

Cheers

blairy

Interesting blairy, I hope they test it well, I really don't want to brick a $3000 TV. :o

Yeah, let us know how it goes Billy. I suspect it's not so much to do with your pvr, but more to do with teh hdmi handshake issue.

hi blairy,

well my tests found that it wasnt the pvr recording something while the tv was off.

back to square 1.

maybe you are right with the hdmi handshake being the cause.

its funny that ever since i first posted on this website, it hasnt happened... but then again its only a few days.

billy

Hi everyone

Sorry to butt in but as this is my first post I am not allowed to start a new thread. Sharp announced yesterday a promotion where you can win $1 million dollars. The link is here: www.winonemillion.com.au/

Interesting blairy, I hope they test it well, I really don't want to brick a $3000 TV. :o

There has been other firmware updates for these panels and also for the BD player. I haven't come across any reports of bricking, but yes you're right, they'd wanrt to test it well.

Of course as well as bricking, they'll need to make sure any changes only fix this issue and don't adversley effect anyhting else.

cheers

blairy

Edited by blairy

There has been other firmware updates for these panels and also for the BD player. I haven't come across any reports of bricking, but yes you're right, they'd wanrt to test it well. Of course as well as fixing the issue they'll also need to ensure that any changes don't adversley effect anything else.

cheers

blairy

There has been other firmware updates for these panels and also for the BD player. I haven't come across any reports of bricking, but yes you're right, they'd wanrt to test it well. Of course as well as fixing the issue they'll also need to ensure that any changes don't adversley effect anything else.

cheers

blairy

Everyone,

Sharp called today and said the new software is on their site for downloading.

Not tried it yet, but will do as soon as I get a chance.

Be good if others could try it and comment any +ve/-ve experiences. It is supoose to get rid of the tearing but I don't know of any other fixes that might have been applied.

Cheerio

Crypto

Cheers crypto I too have received an email advising firmware is now available for download.

Might try it later tonight and see how i go.

Heres the link

Sharp Firmware

cheers

blairy

Edited by blairy

Downloaded and installed. Powered up tv and it just kept running thru the update process even though USB key was removed (flashing lcd's etc). Powered off again and reinstalled firmware a second time - no big deal. Worked second time round. No need to redo channel install and settings not effected. With firmware updates this can be a case of pot luck, just cuz I got lucky doesn't mean that some who try this won't have to rescan channels and/or re-input settings.

White tearing lines on left of panel when viewing HD channels in dot X dot mode have gone which is good news.

On the down side in dot X dot mode not all HD broadcasts fill the screen, sometimes there is a border of a millimeter or so, others esp adverts) might have almost anm inch either all arond image or on the sides. At times on the left hand side there was obvious blurring or distortion. Need to do more viewing to determine if this is just me or what.

Cheers

blairy

I tried this out myself and it seems to have done the trick. Just in time for the olympics too.

I did notice the extra bars and also some nasty compression artifacts but i'm thinking it was the programs that were on at the time. This will at least make hdtv watchable until PlayTV arrives.

B):P

Edit: After a bit more watching it seems all is good, the white lines are gone and no new problems have been created, the talk before about the bars and compression artifacts was program related by the looks of things.

Edited by HankJones

I tried this out myself and it seems to have done the trick. Just in time for the olympics too.

I did notice the extra bars and also some nasty compression artifacts but i'm thinking it was the programs that were on at the time. This will at least make hdtv watchable until PlayTV arrives.

B):P

Edit: After a bit more watching it seems all is good, the white lines are gone and no new problems have been created, the talk before about the bars and compression artifacts was program related by the looks of things.

You're right Hank, issues with image not filling screen is program related. After my post last night, there were a number of (true) HD broadcasts (House, Cold Case) where this was not apparent.

Also checked with Sharp and this update does nothing other than fix up the white flashing lines.

Off to watch the olyroos beat serbia in hidef.

Cheers

blairy

Just got the LC42D83X from harvey norman, $2699 plus free delivery. If someone is asking more then this, just head to HN's. Just waiting on it to arrive, apparently SHARP is out of stock at the moment. Can't wait to hook it up to the ps3. I'll update it with the new software as soon as i get it. This thread has been good in answering any questions i had about this TV. Looking forward to getting it. Will post more later about how I find it and any other helpful tips.

hi blairy,

well my tests found that it wasnt the pvr recording something while the tv was off.

back to square 1.

maybe you are right with the hdmi handshake being the cause.

its funny that ever since i first posted on this website, it hasnt happened... but then again its only a few days.

billy

Had another HDMI handshake freeze issue yesterday. Thought I had isolated the problem to my Oppo DVD player...all my inputs go thru AVR...Oppo was giving an image with a major green tint (screen that should be black was green). I could change inputs on AVR and view other video sources without problem. Couldn't change input on TV though and then realised that tV was frozen. Another bloody reset...although I'm gettign pretty good at these now :mellow:

This experience indicates that the TV is the problem (although is not necessarily conclusive).

Of course when this happened I was testing the settings on my universal remote and had changed from tuner to internet radio to foxtel to FTA to DVD all rather more rapidly than you would normally do in real world use.

Is this issue still prevalent for others?

Cheers

blairy

Had another HDMI handshake freeze issue yesterday. Thought I had isolated the problem to my Oppo DVD player...all my inputs go thru AVR...Oppo was giving an image with a major green tint (screen that should be black was green). I could change inputs on AVR and view other video sources without problem. Couldn't change input on TV though and then realised that tV was frozen. Another bloody reset...although I'm gettign pretty good at these now :mellow:

This experience indicates that the TV is the problem (although is not necessarily conclusive).

Of course when this happened I was testing the settings on my universal remote and had changed from tuner to internet radio to foxtel to FTA to DVD all rather more rapidly than you would normally do in real world use.

Is this issue still prevalent for others?

Cheers

blairy

Hi Blairy. No, not since I sequenced my Harmony to always turn on the TV last. But, remeber that I only use the TV as a monitor and don't normally switch across to the in-built tuner or any other input for that matter.

first time poster

i've been looking at the lc52d83x - i've got a retailer down to $3199 delivered - thats a cracker isnt it?