Sign in to follow this  
jamie-w

Sharp Aquos D83 Series

Hi blairy,

I posted this the next day at work and I was pretty sure that I did see it on ABC HD, but I've done another full review and I think I may have got it wrong... I must of been on another 1080i transmission channel.

Anyway, I will state that I have confirmed the white tears on all 1080i HD transmissions.

I wonder if anyone has Foxtel HD and the same problems with the re-transmitted HD channels? (I don't have Foxtel HD).

Cheers newgas thanks for clearing that up. I was especially confused as I don't even get dot X dot mode in ABCHD :mellow:

As suggested by newgas and others I've tried inputting other sources at 1080i as well to see if these get tearing....well little white flashes down LHS of image

Xbox 360 input via avr and hdmi at 1080i @ 60Hz - no tearing. (Arguably this is not relevant to the problem at hand.)

DVD via oppo hdmi into receiver hdmi to panel at 1080i @50Hz - again no tearing. 1080i @50Hz is the same as HDTV via FTA.

Also took foxtel, upscaled via receiver to 1080i @ 50Hz and again no tearing. (Don't have foxtel HD.)

Presumably this means there is something wrong with the broadcast itself (need to view on other panels) or there is someting wrong with the deinterlacer on the sharp.

I have another small LCD (second tv) that does not exhibit the white flashes, however it is HD only not FullHD.

blairy

I'm looking at a Sharp lc42d83x . I was just at JB in Mitcham where they have them for $2696

Anyone got any other recent prices on this model?.

I'm also tossing up between this and the following lcd's

- Samsung LA40A650AIF or LA46A650AIF

- Sony 40x3100

They all seem to be good screens (100hz, 24p etc) and with the new deals coming out in july its hard to say which is the best value (free PS3 etc!!)

The sony seems a little "big" for its size, with a large bezel / glass around it.

The Samy and the sharp and similar, with the sharp looking a little better because of it very thin bezel.

Anyone have any input/ thoughts / prices?

Thanks

Well, I ran the HDMI input on 1080i, Dot for Dot, for a few hours which included plenty of 4:3 material as well, and did NOT see any streaks.

This suggests that this problem is indeed confined to the internal tuner, rather than the scaling or de-interlacing circuitry.

I hope Sharp can come up with a fix for this in the near future.

As suggested by newgas and others I've tried inputting other sources at 1080i as well to see if these get tearing....well little white flashes down LHS of image

Xbox 360 input via avr and hdmi at 1080i @ 60Hz - no tearing. (Arguably this is not relevant to the problem at hand.)

DVD via oppo hdmi into receiver hdmi to panel at 1080i @50Hz - again no tearing. 1080i @50Hz is the same as HDTV via FTA.

Also took foxtel, upscaled via receiver to 1080i @ 50Hz and again no tearing. (Don't have foxtel HD.)

Presumably this means there is something wrong with the broadcast itself (need to view on other panels) or there is someting wrong with the deinterlacer on the sharp.

I have another small LCD (second tv) that does not exhibit the white flashes, however it is HD only not FullHD.

blairy

Well, I think that's pretty well confirmed then that it's the internal tuner. The de-interlacer is in operation when you look at a 1080i input, whether it be from FTA or HDMI input. The panel needs a progressive signal, so it will always de-interlace and interlaced signal. The only way to de-activate the internal de-interlacer is to put a progressive signal into one of the HDMI or component ports, or select a 720p broadcast on the internal tuner.

There's nothing wrong with the broadcasts as all my tuners via my VP don't show any streaks.

What is still a bit puzzling though, is why 576i broadcasts don't show the streaking. 576i signals are first de-interlaced and then scaled to the display's native res of 1080 x 1920.

Edited by JPP

Anybody tried a SD transmission at full and moved the image to view the LHS?
Well, I tried it. Shifted picture to extreme right side on 576i broadcasts and even shrunk them to Normal with the Wide button. No streaks.

Next tried good old analog channels as these are normally 4:3 anyway. Again, no streaks.

Looking more and more like it's "just" a Digital tuner problem and then only on 1080i.

Mine is a 52" panel. Am I right in presuming this problem occurs regardless of panel size?

Mine is a 42" panel. Seems the white line issue occurs regardless of panels size. Probably because the tuner and most of the electronics would be the same.

Not heard anything back from Sharp, so I've send them an email to see whats doing.

Good to see that we are starting to recognise this issue as a fault rather than a peculiarity :blink: .

Thx Crypto. I too have sent an email - only this afternoon.

I'll post response when it is to hand.

Thx

blairy

Another Gremlin?

I have been holding off to list this problem, but it has occurred three times now, so I think it's a genuine non-finger-trouble one.

I have my Sharp connected to a Video Processor via a HDMI port at 1080p.

All works well - no problems of any kind normally.

But, sometimes, the screen won't show a picture (remains black) on turn ON of the TV. I can bring up the Main Menu and Source selection menus, but it refuses to show a picture. I can't even change the source to TV. Although I can toggle up to it TV and press OK, or I press the DTV button as an alternative way to force it to its own internal tuner, nothing changes over and I am left with a black screen. On bringing up the source menu again, it again shows the available sources correctly, with the selection back on the HDMI input that is connected to the VP (Input 6).

Now, I have also reversed the power ON sequence so that the TV is switched on last, to maximise the chances to have HDMI/HDCP handshake protocol execute correctly, but that hasn't made any difference.

The ONLY way to get it back, that is get a picture again, is to turn it OFF at the power point. Pressing Standby on the Remote doesn't work.

Has anyone experienced this behaviour, either with a setup like mine, or under any other circumstances?

Edited by JPP

Another Gremlin?

I have been holding off to list this problem, but it has occurred three times now, so I think it's a genuine non-finger-trouble one.

But, sometimes, the screen won't show a picture (remains black) on turn ON of the TV. I can bring up the Main Menu and Source selection menus, but it refuses to show a picture. I can't even change the source to TV. Although I can toggle up to it TV and press OK, or I press the DTV button as an alternative way to force it to its own internal tuner, nothing changes over and I am left with a black screen. On bringing up the source menu again, it again shows the available sources correctly, with the selection back on the HDMI input that is connected to the VP (Input 6).

Now, I have also reversed the power ON sequence so that the TV is switched on last, to maximise the chances to have HDMI/HDCP handshake protocol execute correctly, but that hasn't made any difference.

The ONLY way to get it back, that is get a picture again, is to turn it OFF at the power point. Pressing Standby on the Remote doesn't work.

Has anyone experienced this behaviour, either with a setup like mine, or under any other circumstances?

Similar issue yes, however I am loathe to blame the TV in my case.

Sources in my sig connected to avr via hdmi and then avr via hdmi to panel. Sources scale and avr scales (if need be) to 1080p. A while back I paused a dvd...for well over 15 mins....tv froze with a green screen. Menu worked and rather than power off at power point I simply reset the panel.

Similar thing with HD-DVD player (can't recall what I'd done) but panel froze and only menu could be accessed. Again reset tv and all working fine.

In my experience this has happened when I've done something a little weird and I cannot point the finger at the panel.

Now fairly careful about rapidly changing inputs, having multiple sources on at same time and yes, pausing a dvd for an extended time.

How is your source equipment connected to the panel? Is it all on at once and do you switch between sources haphazardly or give everything a chance to catch up with itself (eg HDMI handshake)?

cheers

blairy

Another Gremlin?

I have also experienced that same problem, it has only happened to me once though and it was a few days ago, I've had the TV since about December so I'm hoping it is just a one off thing and doesn't become a regular thing..

Another Gremlin?

I've had it happen about 3 time as well. Only solution I found was to turn it off at the wall. Hasn't happened for a while, not sure on the trigger...using HDMI from my Beyonwiz S1. Pretty sure from memory the composite didn't work either.

Rob

....How is your source equipment connected to the panel? Is it all on at once and do you switch between sources haphazardly or give everything a chance to catch up with itself (eg HDMI handshake)?

cheers

blairy

Sorry to get back this late - missed your post somehow.

No, the ocurrances have happened on a straight switch on. The VP drives the panel vai HDMI (input 6).

I have changed or set up the turn on sequence (via my Harmony 890 remote) so that the TV comes on last.

So far, I have not had another occurance. I don't have any access to the back of my TV as it's a tight fit on both sides in my cabinet - plenty of room top and bottom though - so I can't access the rest switch to see if that clears up the freeze as well.

If it happens again, I'll contact Sharp. This is a bit of a curly one, being so intermittant, so I don't expect a whole lot to happen. I will make a copy of the posts here though and add that to the letter so that they at least know that it's not an isolated fault.

Edited by JPP

... - so I can't access the rest switch to see if that clears up the freeze as well.

What reset switch?

Thx Crypto. I too have sent an email - only this afternoon.

I'll post response when it is to hand.

Thx

blairy

Sharp response tio my email...

Wants to know, in need, can he come and view problem at my house (I'm quite close to their base at Blacktown) and asks for link to this forum topic so he can review others input too. The latest firmware does not address this issue.

Will respond and await further response.

Wants to know, in need, can he come and view problem at my house (I'm quite close to their base at Blacktown) and asks for link to this forum topic so he can review others input too. The latest firmware does not address this issue.

Good one! Glad he asked for more info from this forum/thread. I've just had my 4th lockout/blackout tonight. As usual, a power cycle fixed it.

If Sharp is looking! I am still waiting for my response.

Hope they are not playing silly buggers, as they have been aware of this for a couple of months. Indeed my old replaced TV with this issue is in their hands, and the last comunication I had with Sharp was that "the issue had been escalated to their design engineers". They do not need to see your TV, they know about the tearing, they just need to fix it or come clean if they can't. Just wish that these organisations would treat customers as being a bit more than dummies that can be appeased with false attention. I wanted to build an all Sharp integrated home theatre system, but I am holding of until the TV is as it should be.

Another Gremlin?

Hi, I have something pretty similar. I have a LC-42D83X and I've hooked up my new Home Theatre PC running Windows Media Centre via HDMI.

The picture was displayed perfectly on one of the HDMI inputs (EXT6), but I noticed that if I changed channels away and back, or if I turned the TV off and on again, I might sometimes get a blank display. It annoyed the hell out of me, and also I was getting a poor picture on the other 2 HDMI inputs (EXT4 and 5), so I took the unit back to the store within 7 days to exchange it.

This one seems to display a great picture on all HDMI inputs, but last night I left the PC downloading and transcoding overnight with the TV off. This morning when I turned the TV back on, I had a blank display once again, even though the PC was running and the HDD led was busy.

Hi everyone, sorry to hear that this quirk of mine is actually quite common. Perhaps we need to send a group letter to ACCC os some such, documenting our issues and Sharp's lack of response?

Hi all,

I intend to buy one, a 52D83 series....and now reading those problems with Sharp and the way they response ...it makes me nervous....Any suggestion ?

Thanks in advance

tdp

Hi all,

I intend to buy one, a 52D83 series....and now reading those problems with Sharp and the way they response ...it makes me nervous....Any suggestion ?

Thanks in advance

tdp

Hi tdp, I have had mine for a couple of months now and cannot fault the unit as a display panel. The issues I have had have all been with the inbuilt digital tv tuner.

As well as the flickering white lines on the left hand side in 1080i transmissions that have been discussed. I have encountered a few more problems.

1. When flicking between HD channels, the screen will lag and judder for a few seconds. (This is on top of the screen going black for a few seconds in between channel changes) This can be especially annoying to chronic channel surfers. :)

2. Sometimes a channel will not have sound when you change onto it, so you have to change off it then back onto it.

3. Crappy IR remote, which annoys me becuase my old telly had an RF remote which is much easier to use. i.e. no line of sight issues and having to press buttons repeatedly.

Despite all of these complaints, i do not regret buying the unit as it's performance in displaying pictures input from other sources is excellent, particularly older sources such as DVD and SD digital where it's scaler puts it way ahead of everything else I have seen.

So as a display I still think it is the best, just buy a proper HDTV tuner for it.

Hope this helps.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

tdp

I have had my 46d83x since january and it is great.

You will find alot of other brands have slow tuners when changing channels so this is a common thing

In trems of digital tuners, I've had the dodgytec footy, a topfield pvr, an LG panel, a hitachi panel and this sharp.

The sharp is the best of the lost and the epg is beaut too.

Of course, where it counts is pq and the sharp has it in spades.

good luck

blairy

Hi tdp, I have had mine for a couple of months now and cannot fault the unit as a display panel. The issues I have had have all been with the inbuilt digital tv tuner.

As well as the flickering white lines on the left hand side in 1080i transmissions that have been discussed. I have encountered a few more problems.

1. When flicking between HD channels, the screen will lag and judder for a few seconds. (This is on top of the screen going black for a few seconds in between channel changes) This can be especially annoying to chronic channel surfers. :)

2. Sometimes a channel will not have sound when you change onto it, so you have to change off it then back onto it.

3. Crappy IR remote, which annoys me becuase my old telly had an RF remote which is much easier to use. i.e. no line of sight issues and having to press buttons repeatedly.

Despite all of these complaints, i do not regret buying the unit as it's performance in displaying pictures input from other sources is excellent, particularly older sources such as DVD and SD digital where it's scaler puts it way ahead of everything else I have seen.

So as a display I still think it is the best, just buy a proper HDTV tuner for it.

Hope this helps.

Just an update on the white flickering lines: I believe Sharp are working on a software update that would resolve this problem. Not sure if the update can be done via the USB port ourselves or if it requires a technical service.