Sharp Aquos D83 Series

these are my settings but i have just bought a dvd of the video digital essentials which i have not used yet but when i do i will post the settings.

here is my current settings which look good to me.

OPC-off

backlight +7

contrast +31

brightness +7

colour +3

tint 0

sharpness +5

your saying yours looks dark i think it might be that you have the light sensor on.

i turned mine off and it brightens it up alot.

Thats what the OPC is.

Thank you very much for these Goldy. Just 1 other question - which mode are you using these settings in - eg. Dynamic or Standard?

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Confused or decieved?

HELPPPPPPP

Hi all in cyberland! I've spent the evening reading thru all the threads on the Aquos 83X with great interest. I want to by a 42" and have been waiting for the 100 Hz model to arrive in the stores. They're in but now but I'm getting annoyed trying to to decide which is the best on the market. I'm currently considering the sony or the sharp but our friends at HV and others make sure that the two LCD's are not set up side by side and I suspect only the preferred unit is ever tuned to the optium picture. Depending on which store I visit, Samsung, sharp or Sony can look quite superior. The specs don't seem to solve the problem either.

Does anyone know where or how I can establish which is the best picture? I'm in Melbourne

Tkx

Edited by Confused or decieved?

HELPPPPPPP

Hi all in cyberland! I've spent the evening reading thru all the threads on the Aquos 83X with great interest. I want to by a 42" and have been waiting for the 100 Hz model to arrive in the stores. They're in but now but I'm getting annoyed trying to to decide which is the best on the market. I'm currently considering the sony or the sharp but our friends at HV and others make sure that the two LCD's are not set up side by side and I suspect only the preferred unit is ever tuned to the optium picture. Depending on which store I visit, Samsung, sharp or Sony can look quite superior. The specs don't seem to solve the problem either.

Does anyone know where or how I can establish which is the best picture? I'm in Melbourne

Tkx

Harvey Norman in south rd moorabbin have both there and even though i did not buy from there they wil let you play with the settings as the sony is always set to vivid which is very bright and also the sharps are put on dynamic.

Put them both on standard mode and just adjust the picture settings from there.

Also clive peters in moorabbin have them both to but they are complete tossers.

Hi All,

I've been reading this forum for sum time, and throught that I would share my experience with all.

I've now had my Aquos 46 D83 X for a few weeks. I must admit my first choice was the Sony 100Hz. However, with the only other 100Hz model on market being the Aquos the ultimate choice for me was from these 2 models. My wife struggled with the visual appearance of the Sony set - I have read on other forums a description of of the Sony set both complimentary and non complimentary, and the description of it looking like a "Cheese grater" we throught was the most accurate. The Aquos on the other hand had only complementary comments - and I must admit after getting the TV home, the Aquos does look fantanstic.

I have never experienced high definition before, and don't have pay TV. However, the Aussie Rules season will be starting soon - so I may just subscribe until September. I have no blue ray player - I'll wait until the prices come down a bit - not many Blue Ray DVD's available in my locals stores anyway.

I was amazed at the setup of the TV, you switched it on, and it all started up with the date and the time all starting up automatically. The only issue I had was associated with the set up of the Analogue stations - they are preset to major Melbourne stations, so I needed to run a manual setup to pickup the local region stations.

After a few days, I added some naming convention to the Analogue stations. However, the digital stations disciptions were fixed.

I went through the menu and made all sorts of adjustments, and for those interested I have set my TV as follows;

OPC - On

Backlight -Std

Contrast - 32

Brightness - 0

Colour +8

Tint - 0

Sharpness - +4

Colour Temp - Middle

Fine Motion Advanced On

I found the OPC when switched to "ON" actually moved the brightness of the screen to a higher level if the brightness was set too low.

In regards to dead pixels - well if you have a few dead pixels, I definately won't be able to see it. I have one inactive blue pixel, which I cannot see(on black background) when I move more than 2 metres away from screen - as my viewing distance is 3-4 metres away - its not a problem. The manual suggests that a few inactive pixels(blue, green, red) are within tolerance eg " THis is within product specifications adn does not constitute a fault". I suspect dead pixels could be manually picked up if you had a white background and closely inspected the screen - I'm not going to worry about setting a laptop to measure this at this stage.

I find the major factor influencing the picture is the original film - Can't wait until all films are HD TV standard - I'm very happy with the way my television is travelling at present - I decided to be safe and took out an additional 2 years warranty on the std 3 years because its all new technology.

If you can wait, from what I have been able to find. It appears that these TV's are released elsewhere, and a new Aquos with 3000:1 native contrast ratio (up from 2000:1) is now available in some markets overseas. Not sure when they will be available in Australia. You may wish to checkout these sites;

http://www.reviews-lcd-tv.com/Sharp-LC-52D...lcd-review.aspx

Sharp LC-46D92U (2000:1 Contrast Ratio - Looks the same as the 83X)

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelLand...58,1814,00.html

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelLand...58,1815,00.html

LC-46D82U ( 3000:1 Contrast Ratio - this might be similar to next model than comes to Australia)

Cheers,

Grecko

Using standard mode

Thanks for the help, Goldy. These settings have helped a lot as my screen is much nicer to view now. So far, so good. I am very happy with this set, no sign of dead pixels, banding etc. although to be honest i am not going out of my way to look for these incase I get paranoid! Sound is excellent quality too - I don't own a surround sound system and had thought of buying one now i have a TV to do it justice but the sound is so good I may not bother for a while yet.

Hi All - long time member - but first post for little while.

I am after a 40-42 inch flat panel display...its seems that the Sharp Full HD LCD is the go...

BUT can anybody, advise me of any diffinitive difference between the D83x and D63x...besides the 100Hz thing...?

I would be happy to pay the $500 buck or so more if those of you out there who have experienced and use it "really" think it is worth it?

but the D63x represents good value - I think?

As far as I can tell the current crop of 100Hz display are a bit hit and miss...

Also any comments on the LC42PD7X, also...

I am after a 40-42 inch flat panel display...its seems that the Sharp Full HD LCD is the go...

BUT can anybody, advise me of any diffinitive difference between the D83x and D63x...besides the 100Hz thing...?

I would be happy to pay the $500 buck or so more if those of you out there who have experienced and use it "really" think it is worth it?

As far as I can tell the current crop of 100Hz display are a bit hit and miss...

I saw the LC46PD7x next to the latest Samsung and Sony and the PD7x did not compare well with the other 2 sets. It was not as crisp a picture as the Sony X3100 and the Samsung F81. It was not a correct comparison though...the PD7 is 3 generations older. It was 2k cheaper though :blush: I think if you get the D63X you may be happier than if you went back to the PD7X series.

Excellent Monty - ta...was thinking that PD7 might be a step in the wrong (or older tech) direction.

Any body have comments on the D63x - which seems to be a D83x without 100Hz - as far as I can tell...?

or any comments on your use of the 100Hz feature...?

As I am going to deal tomorrow...Thanks in advance. APP

Found this review - which I think is our D83x model in Asia (please advise me otherwise) - which has almost convinced me that Advance Motion / 100Hz is not a necessary feature...just a nice addition or picture tool to "play" with...

any comments?

We have exactly the same debate going on in the Samsung F81 thread. Everyone there is convinced that the 100Hz motion flow or whatever Sharp calls it is not worth paying for and is best switched off. Save your money and get the cheaper model.

The Sharp D63/D83 panel is really slim and I like its looks. Too expensive for me, though :-(

Found this review - which I think is our D83x model in Asia (please advise me otherwise) - which has almost convinced me that Advance Motion / 100Hz is not a necessary feature...just a nice addition or picture tool to "play" with...

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/tvs/p...1081c-39000542q

any comments?

Hi,

Looks like a different one to me. 2 quick differences I noted were;

a. Remote only has one button under flap in reviesed model- the D83X in Au is full of buttons.

b. Inputs 4, 5 and 6 on the D83X based on manual are 1080P/24 hz compatible.

b above is described as follows in manual;

Antenna In

Input 6 HDMI (HDMI input) (480I, 576I, 480P, 576P, 720P50Hz, 720P/60Hz, 1080I/50Hz, 1080I/6-Hz, 1080P/50Hz, 1080P/60Hz, 1080P/24 Hz), Audio in

Appears a lot of gripes have been overcome

Hope this helps

Hi Mate,

I have had a 46pd7x since Nov & could not be happier. Fantastic picture on FTA SD & HD, DVD's look brilliant. I sit about 2.5 mtrs away.

The sound from the set is so good I only use my HT for DVD's.

I got it for $2750 but would be cheaper again now I would think.

Judging in a shop can be a challange - I find Myer / David Jones have much better setups then HN or GG's.

Good luck,

Jas

Guest Confused or decieved?
Harvey Norman in south rd moorabbin have both there and even though i did not buy from there they wil let you play with the settings as the sony is always set to vivid which is very bright and also the sharps are put on dynamic.

Put them both on standard mode and just adjust the picture settings from there.

Also clive peters in moorabbin have them both to but they are complete tossers.

Thanks Goldy

I'll have a look in both stores today...Dare I say it - I'm probably not the type of person you guys want to here from - I know not what I do!!...I went into 2 stores yeserday and they both told me I'd be better to pick the pioneer plasma 42"!!! I have a room with quite a lot of light coming thrugh north facing windows (& dont want curtain) which is one reason I thought LCD would be best. another was that the High def in the future would continue to make available better viewing and future proof the technology. I'm procrastinating further because I've agreed to join with 1/2 mates to get te big group discount - so I want to get it right.

Any ideas from you guys will be appreciated

Well I picked up my replacement d83x tonight and i have just finished watching the cricket and all I can say is SENSATIONAL.

No dead or stuck pixels and the screen looks excellent.

Good to hear your replacement set is great. My replacement however I am not 100% happy with still. The picture quality on my first LC46D83 was excellent except for the whopping great horizontal line which showed up on certain backgrounds but this new one doesnt seem to be as good quality. It seems to be quite fuzzy on certain images (i have tried most setting combinations), and still has a slight horizontal line (which I can put up with as it is nowhere as bad as the other one) and I also noticed last night a movie with the end titles that on the black bakground the previous image of the movie had stayed on the screen resulting in what looked like a splattered paint effect on the black background (hard to explain what it looks like). The scrolling titles cleared part of the screen but the paint splatter effect lasted for a good couple of minutes. To me this is still not good. Before this one I had a sony set and the picture quality was always awesome (when it was not in the repair shop though) Am I being too picky? Does anyone else find this on their screens including the horizontal line?

I purchased a Sharp LC52D83X 5 weeks ago and use it as a 2nd display. so therefore it does not get many hours, since installed I have used it on average twice a week for no more than 20 hours in total.

Turned it on today and about 1/4 of the way down the screen their is a horizontal thin black line that across the whole screen.

Rang Sharp customer service and they are refusing to replace it, they say I must goto a service centre and let them have a look at it.

Ran recommend service agent Chromatv and no answer at all.

starting to get very worried.......................................

I purchased a Sharp LC52D83X 5 weeks ago and use it as a 2nd display. so therefore it does not get many hours, since installed I have used it on average twice a week for no more than 20 hours in total.

Turned it on today and about 1/4 of the way down the screen their is a horizontal thin black line that across the whole screen.

Rang Sharp customer service and they are refusing to replace it, they say I must goto a service centre and let them have a look at it.

Ran recommend service agent Chromatv and no answer at all.

starting to get very worried.......................................

The problem is Sharps policy is they will replace the unit within 14 days I think if there is a fauly and it is from the retailer not through Sharps warranty directly.

I purchased the 46" a few weeks ago and have already had a bit of advice from a few of you (very kind) people about picture settings. I think the pictures are way too "red" - only way I can think to describe them. Dynamic Fixed - well, that is awful.

Dynamic and Standard modes - I can't get a picture in general and especially skin tones that don't lean too much towards red, no matter how much tweaking I do. The only mode that gives me decent picture colour quality is Movie - does anyone else have this problem or do you think it may just be that my set is not callibrated correctly?

Any advice for getting decent picture quality on Dynamic or Standard mode?

Does it matter which Mode you watch - is it fine for me to be watching Movie mode all the time?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I purchased the 46" a few weeks ago and have already had a bit of advice from a few of you (very kind) people about picture settings. I think the pictures are way too "red" - only way I can think to describe them. Dynamic Fixed - well, that is awful.

Dynamic and Standard modes - I can't get a picture in general and especially skin tones that don't lean too much towards red, no matter how much tweaking I do. The only mode that gives me decent picture colour quality is Movie - does anyone else have this problem or do you think it may just be that my set is not callibrated correctly?

Does it matter which Mode you watch - is it fine for me to be watching Movie mode all the time?

You might like to try changing the colour temp in the advanced picture menu to mid-high or high. I certainly have not found pictures to be too red at all. They look very natural and quite vivid. Much will depend on the quality of the source. US sitcoms usually look terrible no matter what you do to them, whereas Australian current affairs/news etc should look pretty good.

Edited by dorevim

Dynamic ("Torch Mode") is included on your TV to make it stand out on the showroom floor. This is because the light levels are much higher in Harvey Norman, JB, etc than in your living room. You should never use it at home as it is way too bright and all the colours are oversaturated and inaccurate.

Most reviewers recommend that you use Movie mode as it is likely to be the most accurate setting on your TV, unless you are prepared to pay for professional calibration. Just tweak it a little to suit your personal preferences.

You have made the right choice.

APP Master

I'm in the same boat

after reading the samsung F81 threads it seems that the concensus is that the 100Hz is NFG

Goldy can you or someone else give us a report if the advance motion/100Hz works on the d83x as in most of the settings

posted it is turned off

APP Master

I'm in the same boat

after reading the samsung F81 threads it seems that the concensus is that the 100Hz is NFG

Goldy can you or someone else give us a report if the advance motion/100Hz works on the d83x as in most of the settings

posted it is turned off

I have had mine turned off and I have been watching cricket and tennis and it looked perfect with it switched off but when the footy starts i will have a play and see what it does.