Sharp Aquos D83 Series

Just changed Foxtel IQ over to Scart->Component and 80% improvement to the terrible PQ I was getting with composite on my new 46d83x. So much so that I think there could have been something wrong with composite input I was using perhaps (on the right side of the tv).

Also bought an antenna amplifier to try to improve FTA. Not much noticeable difference.

Now I'm extremely happy with my purchase. Thanks for all with their help and suggestions.

Good to hear.

What settings are you using?

I am still fiddling with my settings a bit.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was at Goods Guys again today and didn't really notice the TBE or trailing this time on either the 42" and 46" Sharp D83X that I noticed last week. One of the tennis players was the same as last week so I assume that she was bouncing the ball before service at the same speed also.

However this time (and I guess I'm now being particular) I noticed that the seven logo had very jagged edges while the same logo on Philllips LCD, Sony Bravia and Panasonic PZ700A all had smooth edges. In fact the Sharp didn't seem to be as good in overall picture quality though I guess that is always a subjective comment. Again I don't know if this is related to the setting or the way the Sharps were interpreting the signal feed but I'm now starting to be put off this TV. This is a shame because the Sharp D83X is probably the sexiest looking TV on the market and I need a new TV.

Has anyone had a chance to compare PQ on the D83X with other LCD TVs when using SD FTA or SD Foxtel. I know the line that the D83X is meant for 1080p but the reality is that alot of my viewing with be at 576i - and I would like it to look at least as good as other TVs at 576i even if I then start viewing more HD.

I have been watching alot of FTA and it looks fine to me.

Some foxtel channels are good and some are average but it's because of foxtel and not the tv.

Just thought Id post my buy of the 42" D83.

I am quite happy with the TV, even though I have only seen Foxtel as I have no antenna ATM :angry2:

I bought it from HN Auburn for $2550. Considering I was quoted $3450 at JB Parramatta I thought it was a pretty good buy.

I am also wondering what ppls settings are using?

cheers

Hi Track Side - any chance of a copy of that receipt being sent on please? Not able to PM you for some reason - sorry!

My email: amonahan@iprimus.com.au

Many thanks.

"I have read somewhere a few panels got through sharps quality control at there new plant but they jumped on it pretty quick so maybe we have some of these as i got the last one from hn knox so they must have got an early shipment i am guessing but they phoned me yesterday to say they have ordered mine and it will be in late next week".

Do you happen to have a link to where you read this? I would be interested to see how this happened. Thanks.

i just picked up my 46d83x and 8 dead pixels, 6 dead pixels on a black screen and 2 on white screen.

Sharp is f*()ked im going to get a panasonic 50" plasma instead i think!

Many people seem to be complaining about dead pixels. What is the best way to pick this up?

Edited by dorevim

I am quite happy with the TV, even though I have only seen Foxtel as I have no antenna ATM :angry2:

I bought it from HN Auburn for $2550. Considering I was quoted $3450 at JB Parramatta I thought it was a pretty good buy.

cheers

Hello Track Side,

Great price, would you mind also sending me a copy of the receipt or anyone else who may already have it.

dem_968 at yahoo.com.au

Much appreciated.

Regards,

DEM.

cheers

Hi Trackside

Cannot get near that price in Adelaide but DJ said they would match if I showed them a receipt.

would it be possible for you to send a copy to

rrb113@hotmail.com

thanks Bob

Bro, if i was you, i would keep away from Sharp LCDs unless you want back customer service and a variety of dead pixels on your screen.

Try Sony or Samsung, or Panasonic apparantly Sony have lifted there game with both their products and especially customer service.

Guest LoadsaMoney

I saw the sharp and the bravia side by side and I chose the sharp because I felt the picture looked more natural. I already have a 40" V series panel which I am happy with I just wanna put it in my bed room and have a 1080p screen in my main viewing area.

Geez!!! I was quite happy with my purchase of my sharp 42" Sharp D83X plus their free blu-ray disc player for $3350.

Now I read some of the posts in here and i'm worried

1. did i get a decent price after all?!?! :angry2:

2. Is the price higher because I live in Perth and we don't have the buying power of the other Oz capital cities?

3. Is the QA for sharp panels as bad as ppl say. I liked the fact they had a 3yr warranty on their panels. It was gonna cost me another $600 to increase the warranty of my sony up to 3yrs. Maybe that was going through sony and not the retail store.

Ahwell, to late now :rolleyes:

hopefully, some of this -ve talk will make me appreciate it all that more :D

Take care Peeps,

LoadsAMoney (I wish :))

I saw the sharp and the bravia side by side and I chose the sharp because I felt the picture looked more natural. I already have a 40" V series panel which I am happy with I just wanna put it in my bed room and have a 1080p screen in my main viewing area.

Geez!!! I was quite happy with my purchase of my sharp 42" Sharp D83X plus their free blu-ray disc player for $3350.

Now I read some of the posts in here and i'm worried

1. did i get a decent price after all?!?! :angry2:

2. Is the price higher because I live in Perth and we don't have the buying power of the other Oz capital cities?

3. Is the QA for sharp panels as bad as ppl say. I liked the fact they had a 3yr warranty on their panels. It was gonna cost me another $600 to increase the warranty of my sony up to 3yrs. Maybe that was going through sony and not the retail store.

Ahwell, to late now :rolleyes:

hopefully, some of this -ve talk will make me appreciate it all that more :D

Take care Peeps,

LoadsAMoney (I wish :))

So how does it look with blu ray?

That is not a bad price as in melb i could have got the 42" for about 2650.00 without the blu ray but i got the 46" for 3160.00 and i could have got the blu ray for an extra $400.00 and that was just before the 31st of dec when sharp had the 8 free movies with the blu ray.

I am surprised how good free to air looks on this and even some foxtel channels are good.

I will be watching the 20/20 cricket on fri which is being shot in HD so will be could to see and looking forward to the AFL on HD10 this season.

So how does it look with blu ray?

That is not a bad price as in melb i could have got the 42" for about 2650.00 without the blu ray but i got the 46" for 3160.00 and i could have got the blu ray for an extra $400.00 and that was just before the 31st of dec when sharp had the 8 free movies with the blu ray.

I am surprised how good free to air looks on this and even some foxtel channels are good.

I will be watching the 20/20 cricket on fri which is being shot in HD so will be could to see and looking forward to the AFL on HD10 this season.

hello goldy so how is your tv going have you had any probs with it so far none of the dead pixels that have been mentioned

would be interested to hear how its going

thanks jamie

hello goldy so how is your tv going have you had any probs with it so far none of the dead pixels that have been mentioned

would be interested to hear how its going

thanks jamie

Hi Jamie,

TV is great but I am getting it changed over on friday due to a horizontal strip running through the centre of the screen.

It's hard to explain but it is hardly noticeable and my wife cant believe i am changing it but i can pick it up when there is a solid colour on the screen the contrast looks a tiny bit different in the middle of the screen.

Could be a backlighting issue but i rang HN Knox and they said no problems we will get you another one and they called yesterday to say it had arrived so i will pick it up on fri night.

I found 1 stuck red pixel but to be honest you cannot see it unless your nose is pressed against the screen and i think if you looked closely at all lcd's you would probably find at least 1 stuck pixel.

but even after saying all of that i am impressed with the panel and hopefully my 2nd one is fault free.

I just think the the LCD/plasma technology is not foolproof and i even saw on another thread that a guy has gone through 3 pio lx608 cos of dead pixels so it even happens to the so called best panels.

After reading the 2 smarthouse stories about the philips tv's i am still glad i got the sharp.

Hi All,

I bought the 46" D83 on the weekend and am finding the picture a bit dark. Cany anyone help me out with their settings for watching FTA? I will be very grateful for any help.

these are my settings but i have just bought a dvd of the video digital essentials which i have not used yet but when i do i will post the settings.

here is my current settings which look good to me.

OPC-off

backlight +7

contrast +31

brightness +7

colour +3

tint 0

sharpness +5

your saying yours looks dark i think it might be that you have the light sensor on.

i turned mine off and it brightens it up alot.

Thats what the OPC is.

For those in Adelaide who are thinking of buying one... As mentioned in a previous post, Radio Rentals West Lakes has one (refering to LC46D83x) on display. Also, Myers city store has one display. Both displayed for $3999. Interesting that in both stores they are closely located to the Sony 46X. However in the West Lakes store it was tuned in such a way that it was clearly a better picture than the 46X, while in the Myer store it was the other way around... I think this just proves, that they can display a screen in such a way that one looks better than the other.

Also, Betta Electrical on Main North Road (Rosewater) doesn't have it on display, but offered $3700 (including installation and delivery) and that is without bargaining. I am pretty sure that would come down to 3400-3500 which is my budget (yes!).

For those in Adelaide, I hope this helps....

ps. Is there anybody here from Adelaide with a LC46D83x?

Hi Jamie,

TV is great but I am getting it changed over on friday due to a horizontal strip running through the centre of the screen.

It's hard to explain but it is hardly noticeable and my wife cant believe i am changing it but i can pick it up when there is a solid colour on the screen the contrast looks a tiny bit different in the middle of the screen.

Could be a backlighting issue but i rang HN Knox and they said no problems we will get you another one and they called yesterday to say it had arrived so i will pick it up on fri night.

I found 1 stuck red pixel but to be honest you cannot see it unless your nose is pressed against the screen and i think if you looked closely at all lcd's you would probably find at least 1 stuck pixel.

but even after saying all of that i am impressed with the panel and hopefully my 2nd one is fault free.

I just think the the LCD/plasma technology is not foolproof and i even saw on another thread that a guy has gone through 3 pio lx608 cos of dead pixels so it even happens to the so called best panels.

After reading the 2 smarthouse stories about the philips tv's i am still glad i got the sharp.

I had exactly the same problem with mine (LC46D83X) with a horizontal strip in the centre with slightly different contrasts at the top and bottom. Whenever certain backgrounds were shown you could see the line distinctly and it was annoying as I was always focused on it and not the rest of the picture. I got mine replaced as well and picked my new one up today and with the little time that I had to check it it looks ok. It still has a slight line in there but it is nowehere as near noticable. It must be the way they manufacture the LCD panel that casues this.

I had exactly the same problem with mine (LC46D83X) with a horizontal strip in the centre with slightly different contrasts at the top and bottom. Whenever certain backgrounds were shown you could see the line distinctly and it was annoying as I was always focused on it and not the rest of the picture. I got mine replaced as well and picked my new one up today and with the little time that I had to check it it looks ok. It still has a slight line in there but it is nowehere as near noticable. It must be the way they manufacture the LCD panel that casues this.

Goldy and Slysi,

Under what conditions (ie screen content) is the line most visible? I would like to see if I can see it in the shops. Interesting comment from Slysi above - this would imply it is a manuafacturing issue that should affect ALL panels. Perhaps as you say above, it is not visible under most settings but in some circumstances it is very noticeable. It would be interesting to see if other forum members can reproduce this issue - again to establish whether a handful of sets or all sets are affected. Perhaps those with the panel can try Goldy's settings posted above.

Thanks for all the useful feedback - I have not yet pulled the trigger but very keen on this panel!

I am picking mine up on friday night so hopefully that one is ok.

I bought the digital video essentials dvd and i will use it when i set the new one up.

Goldy and Slysi,

Under what conditions (ie screen content) is the line most visible? I would like to see if I can see it in the shops. Interesting comment from Slysi above - this would imply it is a manuafacturing issue that should affect ALL panels. Perhaps as you say above, it is not visible under most settings but in some circumstances it is very noticeable. It would be interesting to see if other forum members can reproduce this issue - again to establish whether a handful of sets or all sets are affected. Perhaps those with the panel can try Goldy's settings posted above.

Thanks for all the useful feedback - I have not yet pulled the trigger but very keen on this panel!

I found that it was noticable while watching the tennis with the blue background but basically any static background it showed to some extent. The most obvious time I ever saw it was when there was a grey background. I could hardly see it when playing Bluray movies or games through my PS3 but was evident when watching FTA TV both from the inbuilt tuner and a HD PVR STB. I will let you know of what the new one is like once I have some time to test it out. I never saw this in the 3 shops I saw this TV so hopefully it isnt all screens. The number on my old serial number and the new serial number was about 60 numbers different with the newer TV being higher (newer) so maybe there was a batch of them which had this issue which got through QA.

I found that it was noticable while watching the tennis with the blue background but basically any static background it showed to some extent. The most obvious time I ever saw it was when there was a grey background. I could hardly see it when playing Bluray movies or games through my PS3 but was evident when watching FTA TV both from the inbuilt tuner and a HD PVR STB. I will let you know of what the new one is like once I have some time to test it out. I never saw this in the 3 shops I saw this TV so hopefully it isnt all screens. The number on my old serial number and the new serial number was about 60 numbers different with the newer TV being higher (newer) so maybe there was a batch of them which had this issue which got through QA.

i heard some early ones got through there QA at the new plant and they picked up on it so hopefully these ones are ok.

i will know fri night when i get my new one.