Sharp Aquos D83 Series

I have searched google for days trying to find pro reviews of the Sharp LC-52d83x and found only http://www.smarthouse.com.au who indeed gives a glowing review of this model. Can I believe their review is not biased in some way?

I'm itching to purchase but that $4800 price surely cant have been for this TV with a RRP $7099 and released just in recent weeks? If so, is there a problem such as banding? Has anyone actually purchased this model yet? Would really appreciate any feedback on it.

Give them ago haggling if you are interested in buying one, you may be surprised with what you get :-)

Ignore the standard comments: "we are not making any money", "this impacts my commission", "thats below cost". "that person who quoted that price will get sacked", "well if you can get it buy it", blah blah.. I should start a new thread with these Salesman lines...

Be patient and passive and the discounts come - I am still working on these skills, my brother is an expert :rolleyes:

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sabs, what is your email address? I can get a good price for you if you are after the 52'' Sharp...

Adam...

I have searched google for days trying to find pro reviews of the Sharp LC-52d83x and found only http://www.smarthouse.com.au who indeed gives a glowing review of this model. Can I believe their review is not biased in some way?

I'm itching to purchase but that $4800 price surely cant have been for this TV with a RRP $7099 and released just in recent weeks? If so, is there a problem such as banding? Has anyone actually purchased this model yet? Would really appreciate any feedback on it.

Does anybody know where I can find a LC46D83X on display in Adelaide?

And what is the lowest price somebody has paid for it in Adelaide?

Ok, let me answer my own question - there is one on display at Radio Rentals at West Lakes. Price $3999, but obviously this could come down a bit (I didn't ask at the time, since I am not in a position to purchase yet).

It was interesting to see this model next to the old model (GD I belief?), and some other models (Samsung and Pioneer). And out of all models, I belief the colours of the Sharp were definitely the best of all.... They were playing FTA HD TV (Oprah Winfrey), which wasn't really a great quality broadcast and I would have rather seen it while the cricket was on... However, the colour aspect was really clear to me, and convinced me even more to go for this model.

Also, I have visited several shops now, and I have noted that on allmost ALL Bravia's they play Blue-ray, and hardly ever FTA HD TV. Is this just me? Obviously blu-ray gives the best picture, however it makes it for the consumer pretty hard to compare! Also, most of the time the Bravia's have their own "stand", and never really next to any other model...another obstacle to compare them....

Probably the only downside of the Sharp is that they don't have any specials going on, but I suppose the 3 yr warranty makes up for that :-)

I have been busting to get myself a wide screen hi-def TV for a fair while now and I am glad I have waited this long because the prices keep coming down, the technology gets better and 100hz LCD panels have recently been introduced to the market place. I've been doing the research and checking out TV's in the stores. While Pioneer plasma's look fantastic but are just way too expensive and the big brands have plenty of marketing hype, the Sharp 83x series seems to be just what I have been waiting for. Am I on the right track? Will Foxtel look ok through video s? I have been quoted $2799 for the 42in model from Bing Lee at Moore Park. Any feedback would be great.

I have been busting to get myself a wide screen hi-def TV for a fair while now and I am glad I have waited this long because the prices keep coming down, the technology gets better and 100hz LCD panels have recently been introduced to the market place. I've been doing the research and checking out TV's in the stores. While Pioneer plasma's look fantastic but are just way too expensive and the big brands have plenty of marketing hype, the Sharp 83x series seems to be just what I have been waiting for. Am I on the right track? Will Foxtel look ok through video s? I have been quoted $2799 for the 42in model from Bing Lee at Moore Park. Any feedback would be great.

i was quoted $3200 for the 42 at h/n in hobart about 4 weeks ago yours sound like a very good price

hi everyone, i'm new to the forum, just ordered a 46d83x, should be receiving sometime next week, what sort of settings have you guys been running to get the most outta the tv? cheers

I have had my 46d83x for a week or two and I was actually going to ask the same thing.

I have just been watching on standard mode but i have been playing around with the settings though.

so what other settings are people using?

Thanks guys, I have cp down to $6500 for the 52D83x and a pioneer dvd recorder (dvr-lx60d $1099) and a wall bracket for the LCD. Is that price any good in a country town?

How much is the wall bracket normally?

I've been offered without any hagglling $5100 in December for the 52D83x so it doesn't really sound like they are taking much off for the other items.

I think I remember reading earlier in the thread someone was offered $4800.

Do you really need to mount the tv?

Rob

I have had my 46d83x for a week or two and I was actually going to ask the same thing.

I have just been watching on standard mode but i have been playing around with the settings though.

so what other settings are people using?

For a new tv best thing you can do to properly view what each feature does is to go through the menu and turn everything off so see what the standard picture is and make your basic brightness, contrast and backlight adjustments. Then go through each picture enhancement feature one by one separately turning them on and off so you can see what they do individually to work out what you like.

Getting colours right is difficult and is often a personal preference in any case.

Rob

You should be able to do better than that. 2 work mates bought the LC42D83X from HN Knox for $2600ish w/o delivery.

Cheers, Monty.

hi Monty

did this include a bdhp20x blu-ray

any chance of a copy of your mates receipt as by far the best price

email rrb113@hotmail.com

thanks Bob

You should be able to do better than that. 2 work mates bought the LC42D83X from HN Knox for $2600ish w/o delivery.

Cheers, Monty.

I got my 46d83x from knox hn for 3160.00 and that was without the blu ray player and i remember seeing the 42 for 2773.00 there and that was without the blu ray to.

HN Knox were by far the cheapest prices.

I noticed in the paper clive peters were selling the 46 with a bluray via redemption from sharp for 3999.00.

so maybe sharp are giving away the blu rays now as before it was just a store by store thing.

hi Monty

did this include a bdhp20x blu-ray

any chance of a copy of your mates receipt as by far the best price

email rrb113@hotmail.com

thanks Bob

Congo,

This didn't include the BD player. You shouldn't need any receipts. HN Knox has the sticker price @ $2772 which is very good anyway.

i was quoted $3200 for the 42 at h/n in hobart about 4 weeks ago yours sound like a very good price

Thanks jamie-w. Can anyone tell me how to get the best picture from foxtel. Will video s help or does foxtel look crap on hi-def TV no matter what you do? Monty could you tell me where Knox is? Thanks guys.

Picked up 52" last saturday and been giving it a bit of a workout since.

PQ great on BD and HD-DVD. FTA not quite as good but certainly impressive (hey even the epg works - is this first digital tuner that does :rolleyes: Foxtel pretty much as anticipated - poor (via component thru avr; no upscale I'm afraid to say).

Issue I do have is smudges around edge of screen (principally along top and bottom). These are most noticeable on panning scenes (eg camera running sideways across football field/cricket pitch or sky scenes). Basically large cloud like smudges that don't move.

Ran dead pixel buddie and doesn't appear to be any issues.

Kinda looks like finger prints; cleaned screen as per instructions to no avail; maybe finger prints on inside of glass :wacko:

Anybody got any clues as to what this and how I might get rid of it?

cheers

blairy

Thanks jamie-w. Can anyone tell me how to get the best picture from foxtel. Will video s help or does foxtel look crap on hi-def TV no matter what you do? Monty could you tell me where Knox is? Thanks guys.

Hi Doogza,

Knox is a outer eastern suburb of Melbourne.

Monty.

PQ great on BD and HD-DVD. FTA not quite as good but certainly impressive (hey even the epg works - is this first digital tuner that does :rolleyes: Foxtel pretty much as anticipated - poor (via component thru avr; no upscale I'm afraid to say).

Issue I do have is smudges around edge of screen (principally along top and bottom). These are most noticeable on panning scenes (eg camera running sideways across football field/cricket pitch or sky scenes). Basically large cloud like smudges that don't move.

Kinda looks like finger prints; cleaned screen as per instructions to no avail; maybe finger prints on inside of glass :wacko:

cheers

blairy

hi there,

what is dead pixel buddy and how do you install it?

i have the 46d83x.

cheers

blairy

How much did you get it for?

Thanks

Rob