Sharp Aquos D83 Series

From what I've read, the new Sharp series (the D92U models from overseas) are using the Micronas FRC 94xyH chip and calling it 'FineMotion Advanced Technology' (ref: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread....53&page=18).

I suspect they would be using the same chip in the D83X series here in Australia since these models also do 100Hz/120Hz although it would be a good idea to ring or email Sharp here in Australia to verify this.

If Sharp are using this new chip, then 24p would be played back at 120Hz using a 5:5 pulldown meaning no judder. As for inverse telecine, I'm sure this TV is capable of doing it even my 2yr old Sharp has an option called 'Film Mode' and it does work although it must use the 3:2 frame pulldown to convert 24p to 60p which as we all know is gives us judder.

Is that what 'Film Mode' is? I've got a 3 yr old Sharp and have never understood what that was. Manual isn't really helpful explaining what it is but may have another read to see if what they wrote makes sense now!

Yeah makes me wonder what it does with the 24p if it can't display it (my old one I mean). I don't have many ntsc dvd's so haven't really looked into it.

Thanks for the links, I'll look into it further!

Rob

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that what 'Film Mode' is? I've got a 3 yr old Sharp and have never understood what that was. Manual isn't really helpful explaining what it is but may have another read to see if what they wrote makes sense now!

Yeah makes me wonder what it does with the 24p if it can't display it (my old one I mean). I don't have many ntsc dvd's so haven't really looked into it.

Thanks for the links, I'll look into it further!

Rob

Film Mode is also called Inverse Pulldown where the extra fields and frames that are created by converting 24p into 60i are removed and the remaining fields are woven back to the original 24p source (in essence no deinterlacing is performed like in video 50i or 60i).

If you have some NTSC Film on DVD, find ones where there are scrolling credits at the end of the movie. When the credits are rolling, switch Film Mode On to Off to see the difference. I've also tried PAL Film and my Sharp TV manages to lock into film mode after a few frames resulting in a better quality of picture (note: with PAL film there's no inverse pulldown. The fields are just woven together and the progressive frames are repeated in a 2:2 cadence).

Had a re-read of the manual and it now makes sense but haven't tried it out yet. Looks like it can do 72hz (from the pc input specs) so in theory it can do SD 24p!

If it can do 72Hz, then you should see judder free motion with NTSC Film (use scrolling credits as a test).

So what is 3D-Y/C?

I believe that only applies to composite connections (yellow cable for video). My manual states that it 'provides high quality images with minimal dot crawl and cross colour noise". I think I did some tests with this setting when I first got the TV but then realised the connection I was using namely composite was a poor one.

Nowadays, I don't use composite connections for viewing, it's either s-video or component (or HDMI which I don't use atm) and with these connections the 3D-Y/C setting is disabled.

Owners of the Sharp 46D83X.

Your opinion on this TV would be appreciated.

...and what is the price paid for it.

Thanks.

I got one yesterday but I have not installed yet as i am mounting it on the wall but in store and just watching free to air standard def looked excellent and hd fta even better and the processing chip it uses must be very good as with movement it is very crisp and clear and no ghosting and the colours look very natural and deep.

cost me 3100.00 which was a very good price as no one else(about 9 stores would not go under 3550.00).

some of them even rang the store cos they thought i was lying lol, and then i had a few others telling me i must be looking at the older model or hn had the wrong sticker price on it(especially clive peters guy tosser) who even rang me after i bought to see how i went and i told him it was in the back of my car lol.

It's also a very nice panel to look at,very slim 95mm, and very thin border with black piano finish.

I got one yesterday but I have not installed yet as i am mounting it on the wall but in store and just watching free to air standard def looked excellent and hd fta even better and the processing chip it uses must be very good as with movement it is very crisp and clear and no ghosting and the colours look very natural and deep.

cost me 3100.00 which was a very good price as no one else(about 9 stores would not go under 3550.00).

some of them even rang the store cos they thought i was lying lol, and then i had a few others telling me i must be looking at the older model or hn had the wrong sticker price on it(especially clive peters guy tosser) who even rang me after i bought to see how i went and i told him it was in the back of my car lol.

It's also a very nice panel to look at,very slim 95mm, and very thin border with black piano finish.

Goldy,

Thanks for your response.

I read from another posting you had bought it from HN Knox.

I believe you had compare it with the Philips 47" and had decided to go with the Sharp instead.

I am also considering between this and the Philips and perhaps the Sony.

I have no doubt in HD, the picture quality is good.

I hope when you installed it you can let me know how the PQ is like on FTA, SD DVD. Foxtel if you have.

Sometimes in the shop they may have amplified the reception and looks better.

There are some members having concerning with the "banding" problem, whatever that is.

Also any advice on the features with the Sharp that the Philips and Sony lack in your opinion. Pros and cons.

That's an amazing price, Goldy! I asked my friend for the staff price on this TV (LC46D83X) and it was $3330. You must be some kind of negotiator. Did you get it at HN Knox and do you think they'd do another one for that price?

That's an amazing price, Goldy! I asked my friend for the staff price on this TV (LC46D83X) and it was $3330. You must be some kind of negotiator. Did you get it at HN Knox and do you think they'd do another one for that price?

It was actually 3160.00(typo error).

I rang first and he gave me a price of 3332.00 which i thought was very good and then i thought he was quoting me the 50 htz model(older one) so i went down there and the ticket price was 3332.00 on the 46" and 2773.00 on the 42"!

So i rang moorabbin hn and clive peters(complete idiot) and they both said there was no way they could do that and they rang knox to check as they thought i was doing a shifty.

So i just said to the guy at knox whos name is sam(nice bloke) what is your best and final price and he said 3160.00.

He said it was the last one they had in a box in the 46 and they had 3 or 4 42" tv's there but i am not sure if there next batch will be the same price as i think they might have got the current lot very cheap or done some deal with sharp but they still have one on display( as of yesterday) so you should call them first thing in the morning and just ask for sam(young guy as i think there are two sams) and just say to him you sold a sharp to a friend of mine on sat(i'm dave) for 3160 and you should get one the same price or maybe get the display one cheaper.

I am going to mount it during the week as i am going to get a wall mount from selby electronics online which are about 55.00 and have to get some 5-6 metre component cables for the bose as i am putting everything neatly in a corner of the room.

I have foxtel to so will be interesting to see how it looks but a mate got a phillips and has foxtel and it looks pretty good so it should be ok.

i looked at sony x series and philips to and there give aways they are doing makes it a hard choice but i think if you are buying a tv you have to focus on which is the one that you like the best and the freebies are just a bonus.

the sony looked good when people were not moving to much but when there was some quicker movement it looked a bit ghosty and the sharp looked clear and crisp and when watching standard def the sharp stil looked excellent.

To be honest if you have any of the 3 you would be happy but i do like the ambi light on the philips and the sony looks a bit like a toy with the glass bezel which would probably date in a few years.

The sharp is very slim and a neat looking panel and the fact it has a 3 year warranty and the panel is made in japan from there new plant there and they actually supply lowve(however u spell it) with there panels to and it s_its me how sony charge an arm and a leg and give you a one year warranty.

Also if i wanted the sharp bluray player price would have been 3550.00 but i thought blu rays will be $300.00 in 3 or 4 months time anyway but if u buy before 31st of dec(tomorrow) u get 8 free movies which is pretty good.

I believe the Sharp PQ is sharp ( :rolleyes: ) and a natural colour. AFL also came up clear. I was able to see the Samsung, Sony and the Sharp side by side using FTA and HD. So I think its a good purchase, however the Sony 46" X bundle is hard to ignore.

Best price I have seen - so far ;-) - is $3550 for the Sharp 46" with BD and 3 years warranty.

Come on retailers/Sharp make it more compelling to buy this unit over the Sony! :D here is your challenge for January

Huh we just bought a Sharp 46D83X and we are VERY disappointed in the picture quality. Although, the problem I think surely must be with how we set it up using foxtel digital (we don't have an external antenna) or something. But we don't know what to do. =/

Could anyone help please? =)

Huh we just bought a Sharp 46D83X and we are VERY disappointed in the picture quality.

Although, the problem I think surely must be with how we set it up using foxtel digital (we don't have an external antenna) or something. But we don't know what to do. =/

You should be able to adjust some settings on the TV to improve the picture from foxtel. Also connect Foxtel to the TV using s-video or component if you haven't done so.

I'm not sure what additional settings Sharp have put in their new models. Try switching to some predefined TV modes and see which one you like. Also note that some of Foxtel's channels are heavily compressed except the movies channels. It would be a good idea to select a movie channel to calibrate your TV.

Huh we just bought a Sharp 46D83X and we are VERY disappointed in the picture quality. Although, the problem I think surely must be with how we set it up using foxtel digital (we don't have an external antenna) or something. But we don't know what to do. =/

Maybe try a lower resolution. Maybe Foxtel only transmit in SD not HD.

Thanks for the help guys. I've been having a look at the setup (brother did it yesterday) and it seems we firstly, have composite cables.

Secondly, I think Foxtel only transmit in SD. Can someone verify please?

Regarding the banding problem, I'm not sure what that means =p. If someone could tell me, I'll have a look. =)

Also, how do you turn up/down the resolution? I can't find the option.

Hello Villavilla,

Great price for LC46D83X!

Can you let me know which Bing Lee and also provide a copy of the receipt minus any personal details to me?

It would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

DEM.

dem_968@yahoo.com.au

I see, so what is the most accurate way to see if there is any 'banding'? With the naked eye, it looks fine.

Have you changed your foxtel settings?

you can do it yourself or call foxtel and they can do it for you from there end.

if you don't your picture will look crap and cos there is a setting that changes over to component cable on the foxtel.

Maybe try a lower resolution. Maybe Foxtel only transmit in SD not HD.

Hmmm... Try a lower resolution... How do you propose one does that eh? Set the panel so that it doesn't use all of it's pixels? Maybe poke some with a needle so they stop emitting? Sure, you can set the input type so that the LCD HDTV panel is adjusting for an SD feed from a component/composite/s-video input, but you can't dial up the actual screen resolution. The resolution is the number of pixels manufactured into the panel. My Aquos is 1366x768, which is the available pixels that ALL inputs are scaled to fit within. Some data is therefore 'lost' from my 1080 HD camcorder footage, but anything lower than 1366x768 must have data 'added'. Quite simply: the less info to work with for upscaling, the worse the end result.

Foxtel is SD, and very crappy SD at that... If the same process as what you propose were applied to viewing an image on a computer (LCD is now standard computer technology after all) for instance; if you display a really, really compressed JPEG of about 35-40kilobits at full screen dimensions on a 1024x768 LCD computer monitor, it'll look like pixellated and artifact ridden crap as well. Lowering the computer screen rez to 800x600 ain't gonna improve the situation.

Foxtel looks even more like crap on any HDTV when it's compared to a true HD signal.

Many a Poxtel user has decided to ditch Poxtel after realising there's no way the image quality is going to improve. Of the 5-6 former Poxtel users/families/households I know, all eventually conceded that it was poor economics to continue paying for a service that was so evidently substandard compared to FTA SD let alone HD.

I just purchased the Sharp LC52D83X to replace my Sharp LC45GX (1080 Panel).

This is now my 4th Sharp Panel, as I already have 2x Sharp LC45GX and 1x Sharp LC32.

Picture quality is amazing on this new unit, the black detail is better than my previous reference unit the LC45.

The 6 series that are around most stores are made in Malaysia and the image quality is no where near as good as these 8 series that are made in Japan,

just like to previous LC45GX that was made at the Kameyama plant.

The inbuilt HD tuner provides a sensational HD Image, certainly the closest image to HD or Blu-ray that I have seen from a LCD or Plasma.

It is such a shame that most retailers are promoting the Sony as the best LCD's as they are not even in the same league.

Foxtel looks even more like crap on any HDTV when it's compared to a true HD signal.

Many a Poxtel user has decided to ditch Poxtel after realising there's no way the image quality is going to improve. Of the 5-6 former Poxtel users/families/households I know, all eventually conceded that it was poor economics to continue paying for a service that was so evidently substandard compared to FTA SD let alone HD.

I agree the Foxtel picture isn;t much good compared to FTA SD.

However, connect it via S-video (there is no need to move to component only if your TV does not have a spare s-video socket as the picture difference is negligible between the two via Foxtel) and adjust the sharpness, and other settings for that input and it can look quite good on some channels. On the 42" Panasonic Plasma it looks quite good, even better on my HD CRT Panasonic.

The image will improve this

I just purchased the Sharp LC52D83X to replace my Sharp LC45GX (1080 Panel).

This is now my 4th Sharp Panel, as I already have 2x Sharp LC45GX and 1x Sharp LC32.

Picture quality is amazing on this new unit, the black detail is better than my previous reference unit the LC45.

The 6 series that are around most stores are made in Malaysia and the image quality is no where near as good as these 8 series that are made in Japan,

just like to previous LC45GX that was made at the Kameyama plant.

The inbuilt HD tuner provides a sensational HD Image, certainly the closest image to HD or Blu-ray that I have seen from a LCD or Plasma.

It is such a shame that most retailers are promoting the Sony as the best LCD's as they are not even in the same league.

Thanks HD TV GUY,

Can you let us know what price you paid for the 52?