Sign in to follow this  
jamie-w

Sharp Aquos D83 Series

IAM THINKING OF BUYING THE 42INCH D83X IT SEEMS TO HAVE EVERY THING I WANT IN A TV BUT DO PEOPLE KNOW THE GOOD AND BAD ON THIS TV

DO SHARP HAVE A GOOD REPUTATION

THANKS JAMIE

IAM THINKING OF BUYING THE 42INCH D83X IT SEEMS TO HAVE EVERY THING I WANT IN A TV BUT DO PEOPLE KNOW THE GOOD AND BAD ON THIS TV

THANKS JAMIE

interested as it seems it's on sale in jb hifi's catalogue.

thank you

THANKS JAMIE

I just bought this TV (exact same size) last week. Great screen - HD free to air, blu-ray, & dvd all show up really well. I was thinking of buying a Sony X Series but the ghosting on those screens really put me off. I got it from Harvey Norman for $3465 which included a 7 year warranty (3 year manufacturer + 4 years from HN) and a FREE Sharp Blu-Ray Player (BDHP20X). Sharp are also giving away a free return flight if you buy before xmas. You'd think with that many extras that there would have to be something wrong with the TV but so far I can't fault it. I guess when you don't have to pay for massive advertising campaigns (Sony, Samsung, etc) you can offer other extras.

I just bought this TV (exact same size) last week. Great screen - HD free to air, blu-ray, & dvd all show up really well. I was thinking of buying a Sony X Series but the ghosting on those screens really put me off. I got it from Harvey Norman for $3465 which included a 7 year warranty (3 year manufacturer + 4 years from HN) and a FREE Sharp Blu-Ray Player (BDHP20X). Sharp are also giving away a free return flight if you buy before xmas. You'd think with that many extras that there would have to be something wrong with the TV but so far I can't fault it. I guess when you don't have to pay for massive advertising campaigns (Sony, Samsung, etc) you can offer other extras.

Is the BD player a Sharp or HN promo? I usually do not like to buy from HN due to their inflated prices (I've worked for them before and I know how their pricing works)

thank you :)

Are you sure you bought the LC42D83X? Full HD + 100Hz. If so, $3465 with free Blu ray player & xtra 4 yr w'ty is a great deal :excl:

Cheers.

when i priced this tv at hn $3500 inc 4year warr no mention of blue ray this was in hobat tas

yes pic looked great unfortunatly i have to wait a couple of months to get funds so should be cheaper

Yes of course I'm sure - on both counts. It's a LC42D83X TV and the player is definitely a Sharp BDHP20X. The Harvey Norman @ Alexandria said the Sharp Rep used to work at their store so he still looks after them with great deals. I never thought I'd be buying a Sharp and definitely not from Harvey Norman but their deal was the best.

The D63X is also meant to be a good screen but doesn't have 100Hz imaging - which may or may not be important to you...

Yes of course I'm sure - on both counts. It's a LC42D83X TV and the player is definitely a Sharp BDHP20X. The Harvey Norman @ Alexandria said the Sharp Rep used to work at their store so he still looks after them with great deals. I never thought I'd be buying a Sharp and definitely not from Harvey Norman but their deal was the best.

The D63X is also meant to be a good screen but doesn't have 100Hz imaging - which may or may not be important to you...

That's a fantastic deal coz my friend bought the LC42D83X, alone, for $2800 and this was as a staff discount. I suppose my friend could have got the BDHP20X for another $300-$400, but your deal is only a couple of hundred off that and with 7 year warranty! Well done!

HOW IS THE 100HZ IS THERE A BIG DIFFRENCE OVER THE SHARP 50HZ MODELS

AND 4MS RESPONSE

THANKS JAMIE

HOW IS THE 100HZ IS THERE A BIG DIFFRENCE OVER THE SHARP 50HZ MODELS

AND 4MS RESPONSE

THANKS JAMIE

HAVE YOU CONSIDERED NOT TYPING IN CAPS LOCK?

HAVE YOU CONSIDERED NOT TYPING IN CAPS LOCK?

HAVE YOU CONSIDERED GETTING A LIFE IF THATS ALL YOU DO ALL DAY GOING AROUND SITES SEEING WHO TYPES IN CAPITALS

Just seen the sharp LC37D63X which is full hd with a bonus blu ray player and 8 BR movies included....

do u think $2000 cash is a good price for this system ?

This will be my first lcd purchase so looking for any help....

Just seen the sharp LC37D63X which is full hd with a bonus blu ray player and 8 BR movies included....

do u think $2000 cash is a good price for this system ?

This will be my first lcd purchase so looking for any help....

sounds an ok price have you tried to get the price down at all see how you go

if you buy would be intrested see how it go's

jamie

HAVE YOU CONSIDERED GETTING A LIFE IF THATS ALL YOU DO ALL DAY GOING AROUND SITES SEEING WHO TYPES IN CAPITALS

Chill out man ;-)

In stead of apologising for your inappropriate use of caps on this forum, you go on the attack. :wacko:

Hope you get all the assistance you deserve.

No they are crap and lazy. They used to be a market leader 5-6 years ago now they just follow the pack. I feel sorry for anyone that has a TV that breaks and is sent to them for repair (or their authorized service centre). I waited 7 months and it was only after a call to Japan that magically the next day Sharp Australia had fixed the TV.

No they are crap and lazy. They used to be a market leader 5-6 years ago now they just follow the pack. I feel sorry for anyone that has a TV that breaks and is sent to them for repair (or their authorized service centre). I waited 7 months and it was only after a call to Japan that magically the next day Sharp Australia had fixed the TV.

And then - in the interests of some equity and balanced opinion... I've enjoyed my Sharp Aquos 81cm LCD since the day I bought it two years ago. The build quality and features - let alone the picture quality, were streets above what was available in HDTV LCDs at the time.

I've been keeping my eye out for the latest Sharp 100Hz LCD panels with a view to upgrading at some point, as my experience with Sharp LCD HDTV panels to this point in time has been very pleasant indeed.

I can well imagine that poor sales staff or under-performing after sales service could taint the brand perception for an individual, however; from my particular perspective, it's ultimately the quality of the Sharp LCD image that would/should be what one is buying... anything else, in terms of a "good deal" or "a broken panel with lousy repair centre and staff", is either a bonus or a quirk of fate.

I had no problems with the set and was all praise for them prior to them "fixing" my tv. After they screwed me around for 7 months it is my mission to let all people know about the "care" they give customers when a problem occurs. Just be thankful you have not had any problems that required their intervention.

I had no problems with the set and was all praise for them prior to them "fixing" my tv. After they screwed me around for 7 months it is my mission to let all people know about the "care" they give customers when a problem occurs. Just be thankful you have not had any problems that required their intervention.

Believe me when I say that I am truly thankful - not just for the reliability of my Aquos LCD HDTV, but for the reliability of many of the other HD related techno-items that I've taken a punt on by investing my hard earned funds.

I've had a JVC HDV camcorder go the way of the dodo, after having the thing out of my hands at a techno-centre that hadn't even seen an example of the camera before for months being supposedly repaired; so empathy isn't something I lack - it's just I'm old enough to know that technology isn't perfect and there's always going to be "gremlins in the machine".

The more tangible gremlins, as I have found, are the human elements - especially the one's that we assume are meant to know their stuff, but can only demonstrate an immense capacity for self-promotion that isn't matched by any true competence. <_<

Fortunately (and I'm making a calculated assumption here...); Sharp's factories in Japan don't appear as full of such gremlins as the local Aussie repair centres and retail outlets have displayed to you.

In stead of apologising for your inappropriate use of caps on this forum, you go on the attack. :wacko:

Hope you get all the assistance you deserve.

thanks owen iam learning heaps from the kind people on this site . i mean at least they give good advice and don't think they run the site like others yes they don"t let little things worry them

thanks for yor good help everyone keep up the good work

thanks jamie

THANKS JAMIE

I have been looking at sony and philips and today i went to a hi fi place which did not sell sharp and the guy told me to have a look at the d83x series which i did at harvey noman and it was the best lcd i have seen.

the cricket was on and compared to the sony it looked very very clear and the colour looked very natural and they have 4ms refresh rate and the movement looked very good.

they are a japansese panel with a 3yr warranty.

i was very impressed to say the least.

I have been looking at sony and philips and today i went to a hi fi place which did not sell sharp and the guy told me to have a look at the d83x series which i did at harvey noman and it was the best lcd i have seen.

the cricket was on and compared to the sony it looked very very clear and the colour looked very natural and they have 4ms refresh rate and the movement looked very good.

they are a japansese panel with a 3yr warranty.

i was very impressed to say the least.

I'm keen on the 83 series but haven't found one on display in town (sydney) yet. They all seem to be trying to get rid of the previous model at prices higher than the new models. As with electronics new ones probably are cheaper (despite the rrp) but doesn't help the retailer with existing stock.

The new models promise 24p input which is all well and good but from reading the numerous topics on the subject that's not the end of the questions.

Seems some tv's will accept the 24p signal but can't display it at the end of the day so convert it to 60i and introduce the hated judder. Anyone know how the Sharp 83s handle the 24p signal and even further can they do inverse telecine (hope I got that right, I mean the 60i to 24p) if possible? ie cover both bases

The US models don't give any insight from what I have read either...

Thanks Rob

I'm keen on the 83 series but haven't found one on display in town (sydney) yet. They all seem to be trying to get rid of the previous model at prices higher than the new models. As with electronics new ones probably are cheaper (despite the rrp) but doesn't help the retailer with existing stock.

The new models promise 24p input which is all well and good but from reading the numerous topics on the subject that's not the end of the questions.

Seems some tv's will accept the 24p signal but can't display it at the end of the day so convert it to 60i and introduce the hated judder. Anyone know how the Sharp 83s handle the 24p signal and even further can they do inverse telecine (hope I got that right, I mean the 60i to 24p) if possible? ie cover both bases

The US models don't give any insight from what I have read either...

Thanks Rob

From what I've read, the new Sharp series (the D92U models from overseas) are using the Micronas FRC 94xyH chip and calling it 'FineMotion Advanced Technology' (ref: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread....53&page=18).

I suspect they would be using the same chip in the D83X series here in Australia since these models also do 100Hz/120Hz although it would be a good idea to ring or email Sharp here in Australia to verify this.

If Sharp are using this new chip, then 24p would be played back at 120Hz using a 5:5 pulldown meaning no judder. As for inverse telecine, I'm sure this TV is capable of doing it even my 2yr old Sharp has an option called 'Film Mode' and it does work although it must use the 3:2 frame pulldown to convert 24p to 60p which as we all know is gives us judder.

Are you sure you bought the LC42D83X? Full HD + 100Hz. If so, $3465 with free Blu ray player & xtra 4 yr w'ty is a great deal :excl:

Cheers.

I got quoted $3300.00 before from harvey norman in moorabbin on the lc42d83x with the blu ray player and 3900.00 for the 46 but the was not his last crack either.

but will wait for good guys to get them in in a week or two.