There's no such thing as a 1024X1024 plasma. For that, the screen would have to be square !!! Must've been a 852X480 32" plasma and you couldn't tell the difference because it would've downscaled everything to SD.

You are partly correct - it was 1024 x 854 and called a High Definition Panel. Hitachi had an identical model. They both used ALIS technology - whatever that is.

See link (32pd9954)

http://www.plasma-televisions-online.com/p...s_plasma_tv.php

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of these 32" plasmas (AWA, Soniq, VIVO, Maxess, Conia, Tevion) are probably the same OEM and LG panel with slightly different features but pretty much the same picture.

Thats what I thought, all the Soniq have LG panels so they world be almost the same as a LG unit correct?

Thats what I thought, all the Soniq have LG panels so they world be almost the same as a LG unit correct?

The quality of the electronics is often as important as the wuality of the panel itself. If these models are jsut rebadged versions of one another then buy the cheapest.

If they just use the same panel - then be careful.

No. First of all, as Doug mentioned, the electronics matter. Just as there's no sense in having a crappy graphics card feeding a good-quality LCD PC monitor, there's no sense in having cheap graphics chips controlling the TV's display panel.

Apart from that, these no-name brands are all using outdated technology (hand-me-down factories and assembly lines from the big manufacturers). There's a reason why LG isn't selling these panels any more, not even in poorer Asian countries - and that's because it's outdated junk which doesn't even have the ability to wear the "LG" badge (and that says a lot about their real worth !).

There is NO such thing as a big brand 32" PLASMA. There are 32" big brand LCDs, which do not cost $500 more but they will cost $300 more. That $300 buys you a high def panel with better specs and a 3-year warranty instead of a standard def panel with lower specs.

I've said what I wanted to. If you want to spend $500 on the plasma, it's your decision.

Valid point kulfi but at $499 for a 32" Soniq Plasma, can you go wrong? Seeing the big brands are approx $500 more.

I can tell you the blacks on it are much worse than LCD blacks and theres a fair bit of image retention. If you can live with that then it might be worth it.

• 3 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

All those 2008 32" plasma models are looking pretty much the same, at least the NEC, the Soniq and the Vivo. The NEC and the Soniq are glossy and the Vivo is matte but the shape is exactly the same.

• 3 months later...
Anyone see the new dicksmith brochure with the 32" Plasma Vivo in it??? Any good?

I have a vivo. My wife took off a few months ago and took my Benq va321. I find little differnce in picture quality.

http://www.hdtvreview.com/BenQ-VA321-hdtv.html

The Benq had a SD tuner, so I had to get a HD set top box. The Benq is 1080i, 1366 x 768 native resolution. It was a good set I could hook up to my PC.

I had to choose another TV fast and a friend had a Vivo, I had looked at it for some time before chosing, I went with the Vivo. The problems with Vivo is that although it is 1080i also, the basic resolution is like 578, and that is diplayed when you turn on the TV.

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/9270

The picture on both sets were similar, but screen ratios options on the Vivo are less, and sometimes you have a more narrow screen on some dvds and Movies. There is no headphone input on the Vivo, and I used an FM Transmitter to get surround sound with my Stereo, while watching DVDs on the Benq

MY opinion on the Vivo, is a good one for the money. I am trying to make my own lead up to adapt the FM transmitter. When playing DVDs or some DVDs the volume has to be wound up to full volume? I dont know why, but if I can adapt the FM transmitter, it wont matter.

Response time of 20ms has not been a problem.

Dont forget this is a 32 inch screen and picture quality is geared to display size. The same set up with a 42 inch screen would not be a good experience. For what it is and the price, I am not complaining. I would have prefered if the ex wife, had taken the new Vivo and left me the Benq, but that is life. When our friend bought the Vivo, I told her the difference, and she was "informed" with her choice.

I think to get 1080i from the Vivo, you would still need a 1080 hd stb, or I would have to have a Bluray DVD player in my PC as both the Vivo and PC video card have a hdmi input/output.

Anyone see the new dicksmith brochure with the 32" Plasma Vivo in it??? Any good?

I have a vivo. My wife took off a few months ago and took my Benq va321. I find little differnce in picture quality.

http://www.hdtvreview.com/BenQ-VA321-hdtv.html

The Benq had a SD tuner, so I had to get a HD set top box. The Benq is 1080i, 1366 x 768 native resolution. It was a good set I could hook up to my PC.

I had to choose another TV fast and a friend had a Vivo, I had looked at it for some time before chosing, I went with the Vivo. The problems with Vivo is that although it is 1080i also, the basic resolution is like 578, and that is diplayed when you turn on the TV.

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/9270

The picture on both sets were similar, but screen ratios options on the Vivo are less, and sometimes you have a more narrow screen on some dvds and Movies. There is no headphone input on the Vivo, and I used an FM Transmitter to get surround sound with my Stereo, while watching DVDs on the Benq

MY opinion on the Vivo, is a good one for the money. I am trying to make my own lead up to adapt the FM transmitter. When playing DVDs or some DVDs the volume has to be wound up to full volume? I dont know why, but if I can adapt the FM transmitter, it wont matter.

Response time of 20ms has not been a problem.

Dont forget this is a 32 inch screen and picture quality is geared to display size. The same set up with a 42 inch screen would not be a good experience. For what it is and the price, I am not complaining. I would have prefered if the ex wife, had taken the new Vivo and left me the Benq, but that is life. When our friend bought the Vivo, I told her the difference, and she was "informed" with her choice.

I think to get 1080i from the Vivo, you would still need a 1080 hd stb, or I would have to have a Bluray DVD player in my PC as both the Vivo and PC video card have a hdmi input/output. I also have a HD adapter on my PC and a 22 inch LCD LG monitor which gives me HDTV on my PC. The Monitor has a 1680 x 1050 resolution. It is a good HD experience in the family room where the PC is placed. The HD tuner for the PC was only about $70. Looks like a thumb stick hhoked up to the usb port, very tiny but big performance.

Edited by Richard777