Sign in to follow this  
mcduck

32 Inch Plasma

What one was the best to get? Soniq, AWA or Aldi's one?

Zoidy,

I got the Soniq. No complaints but I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who will have enough experience with the 3 of them to recommend one over the other. IMO, buying from somewhere like JB is an advantage over BigW because you can get a 5 year warranty which I would highly recommend for these cheaper panels.

Whilst the display is ok, it's a little disconcerting how much ghosting remains on the screen after I bring menus up. It doesn't last long but it is definitely there and having a longer warranty gives me some piece of mind if burn-in occurs.

Thanks for that.

So does the channel 10 etc watermark stay there for a bit?

For $499 can you go wrong?

I saw a very similar TV being a Palsonic (not Panasonic) 32" HD Ready Plasma. At first I thought it couldn't be, someone made a typo, it has to be an LCD but it was a Plasma through and through. It had an SD tuner and poor resolution but back then, 5 months ago, it was $699 at Dick Smith. Check the Dick Smith website, it still might be around. The design wasn't so bad either. I'd rather save the $699 towards a better display though.

Thanks for that.

So does the channel 10 etc watermark stay there for a bit?

For $499 can you go wrong?

Haven't noticed the logos staying there to be honest.

thanks for the reply, might get me one when they come back in (if they do) was gonna get a 42" from Big W Sanyo one but I really only need a 32"

I have heard even tho its SD, on this size screen you cant tell, this correct?

thanks for the reply, might get me one when they come back in (if they do) was gonna get a 42" from Big W Sanyo one but I really only need a 32"

I have heard even tho its SD, on this size screen you cant tell, this correct?

Of course you can tell the difference between HD and SD on a 32". The thing you can't tell is the difference between HD and Full HD, and that too when viewing distance exceeds 2m.

Of course you can tell the difference between HD and SD on a 32".

Depends on your viewing distance. From 2m back it could be very hard to tell. I doubt it would have any sort of impact on the viewing experience.

Depends on your viewing distance. From 2m back it could be very hard to tell. I doubt it would have any sort of impact on the viewing experience.

Could someone please help a non techno dumbo.

I have a Panasonic 106cm plasma which I'm pretty sure I bought in 2000 for the Sydney Olympics.

It has been a great unit but just recently there seems to be a lot of pixilation and break up, particularlty on free-to-air.

Am I paranoid or is it simply coincidental that this started happening around the same time HD channels were added to Foxtel?

Or maybe the set is near its use-by date.

Thanks.

Adrian

Useless,

Sounds more like you are having reception issues. Perhaps something has happened to your antenna or cabling? Foxtel can't/won't affect free to air unless you are referring to watching FTA via the Foxtel rebroadcast.

Also you need 5 posts to start a thread - there are specific threads for this purpose to just throw junk posts into.

Edited by Shonky*

Of course you can tell the difference between HD and SD on a 32". The thing you can't tell is the difference between HD and Full HD, and that too when viewing distance exceeds 2m.

Yer I know but I was reading about it and it states it can handle 1080i. How does this happen with a TV with SD Res? I have heard and read some good things about this unit in regards to the PQ as its only a 32", if it was say the 42" Soniq that has the same Res then you can see the diff.

Does this make sence?

Could someone please help a non techno dumbo.

I have a Panasonic 106cm plasma which I'm pretty sure I bought in 2000 for the Sydney Olympics.

It has been a great unit but just recently there seems to be a lot of pixilation and break up, particularlty on free-to-air.

Am I paranoid or is it simply coincidental that this started happening around the same time HD channels were added to Foxtel?

Or maybe the set is near its use-by date.

Thanks.

Adrian

When you got your foxtel HD installed did the technician have to 'split' the existing antenna cable to the dish?

Sometimes they do this if they are too lazy or its too hard to feed the 2nd cable required for IQ fro mthe dish, down the wall cavity into your lounge room.

If you are unable to watch foxtel IQ and free to air tv at the same time then it sounds like the cable has been split and may be the cauase

of the pixellation caused by poor reception signal.

Yer I know but I was reading about it and it states it can handle 1080i. How does this happen with a TV with SD Res? I have heard and read some good things about this unit in regards to the PQ as its only a 32", if it was say the 42" Soniq that has the same Res then you can see the diff.

Does this make sence?

You can see the difference very clearly on a big TV because the screen size makes it a lot more obvious.

How will the Soniq TV take a 1080i signal ? It doesn't have a HD tuner (which grabs the 1080i signal from the air). If you plug in an external HD STB, you may get those channels but otherwise, not much hope. JB's claims sound weird to me.

Yer I know but I was reading about it and it states it can handle 1080i. How does this happen with a TV with SD Res?

Pretty sure it accepts 1080i over component or HDMI which would get de-interlaced and scaled to the screens res of 852x480.

Does this make sence?

If it were me, I'd ask the shop to plug in a HD source (STB, Blu-Ray) to both units and see what you'd be most happy with. If the 32" plasma still looks great 1080i scaled to the 852x480 screen - fantastic, buy it. If the Soniq 42" shites all over the 32" for PQ, then consider a bigger TV cabinet.

I believe JB currently sell a 32" plasma with 852x480 screen and a built in HD tuner for $599. I'd maybe go there just to compare the two and let your own eyes make the decision. Just make sure you measure up your lounge room viewing distance and stand the appropriate distance back from the screen in the shop.

You could go back to Big W and wait for the $499 special, but I'm not sure if the AWA 32" plasma would be the same as the 32" plasma at JB. Despite same resolution screen, they'd have different PQ processors possibly. So possibly a different PQ altogether. Unless Big W has a low res 42" to compare?

Another consideration, you can get the extended warranty from JB or Good Guys or whoever, but not Big W. Don't get me wrong, I love Big W for their bargins, and I ain't a JB fan that's for sure, but warranty is an option there. Even if it is just a $500-$600 telly you're covered better than the AWA 1 year warranty.

Edited by gtr73

I had a 1024 x 1024 32" Plasma and YOU COULD NOT tell the difference between SD and HD at all - even for 30cms away.

I then bought a 50" Plasma and using the same HD STB I can really notice the difference.

I had a 1024 x 1024 32" Plasma and YOU COULD NOT tell the difference between SD and HD at all - even for 30cms away.

I then bought a 50" Plasma and using the same HD STB I can really notice the difference.

Yer thats what I have heard. The 32" plasma does have a hdmi input and does take things like HD boxes etc. So if you have a bigger plasma then the difference is really there

There's no such thing as a 1024X1024 plasma. For that, the screen would have to be square !!! Must've been a 852X480 32" plasma and you couldn't tell the difference because it would've downscaled everything to SD.

There's no such thing as a 1024X1024 plasma. For that, the screen would have to be square !!! Must've been a 852X480 32" plasma and you couldn't tell the difference because it would've downscaled everything to SD.

Actually, the old Fujitsu/Hitachi 42" panels were 1024 x 1024.

I didn't think they made them in 32" though.

EDIT: Yep - rectangular pixels. Not unlike the 42" 1024 x 768 panels but even more rectangular. A square screen wouldn't be that attractive eh? Imagine the black bars!!

Edited by ponlesabor

Actually, the old Fujitsu/Hitachi 42" panels were 1024 x 1024.

I didn't think they made them in 32" though.

EDIT: Yep - rectangular pixels. Not unlike the 42" 1024 x 768 panels but even more rectangular. A square screen wouldn't be that attractive eh? Imagine the black bars!!

Pixel ratio and screen ratio are NOT the same thing.

Get a tape measure out if you have to. It will be 16 units wide by 9 units high. Not 16 x 16.

Pixel ratio and screen ratio are NOT the same thing.

Get a tape measure out if you have to. It will be 16 units wide by 9 units high. Not 16 x 16.

I don't recall mentioning in my post that they were the same thing. :huh:

I'm well aware our screens are 16:9 (or 16:10 with some computer monitors) yet the pixel ratios differ - that was the info I was trying to get across.

Anyone see the new dicksmith brochure with the 32" Plasma Vivo in it??? Any good?

Anyone see the new dicksmith brochure with the 32" Plasma Vivo in it??? Any good?

I believe this is what you're referring to -

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...duct/View/G6251

I can't understand what this TV is supposed to be. The specs say it has a response time less than 20ms, which is very poor. LCDs are now down to 4ms.

The resolution is 852X480 and they claim it has a built-in HD tuner. How is a downscaled 1920X1080 broadcast going to look like on this SD panel ?

Contrast ratio is 1800:1. Assuming this is static, most LCD TVs have static ratios around 2000:1 or greater.

This isn't great and I'd say people should avoid buying unknown stuff unless the price comes down to $300 (it's $600 now). A 32" HD (1366X768) Samsung/LG LCD can be had for around $800 so this TV doesn't make much sense.

Samsung LCD 32" @ $800??

Yer when I saw the specs of the Vivo I was all over the place :huh:

I have seen a 32" Plasma with a HD Turner built in with those specs, it was the Soniq one and it looked nice.

Also saw a Maxess or Maxees 32" Plasma at JB & Clives - How these go. So far the best 32" I have read about would have to be the Soniq

Edited by DR.ZOIDBERG

Samsung LCD 32" @ $800??

Yes. If you haggle hard enough. Check this out -

http://www.digitalcenter.com.au/p/523897/s...450-lcd-tv.html

The Maxess/Soniq/Vivo etc are all SD and in this day and age, they're all outdated. The cost difference between SD/HD (or outdated tech and new tech) is also quite small. Add to that the premium of a bigger brand and it looks even worse.

Yer when I saw the specs of the Vivo I was all over the place :huh:

I have seen a 32" Plasma with a HD Turner built in with those specs, it was the Soniq one and it looked nice.

Also saw a Maxess or Maxees 32" Plasma at JB & Clives - How these go. So far the best 32" I have read about would have to be the Soniq

All of these 32" plasmas (AWA, Soniq, VIVO, Maxess, Conia, Tevion) are probably the same OEM and LG panel with slightly different features but pretty much the same picture.