Sign in to follow this  
mcduck

32 Inch Plasma

Would the thousands of people who use their plasmas to play games like to let zoidy know. I'm not sure what you mean by "keep getting advised". I'm sure if I was a salesman, I'd prefer to sell you something for $1000 than $650 so I'd be telling you anything to convince you of that...

My seven year old son uses an old ps1 (yes 1 they are still around ) on our panda px70a HD plasma & we have no problem with burn in . the image is surprizingly good as well.

As said earler as long as you be smart about it & don,t leave it on the same game 24/7 you should be alright

In the manual for the Soniq 32" it says there is a menu option called Fine Shift on/off which "minutely move pixels on the PDP in horizontal or vertical direction to minimize after image on the screen"

Could be useful for preventing burn in.

Well, the other day I bought for my Dad, the Soniq 32 inch plasma for $648 from JB Warringah Mall....

http://www.soniqav.com/Qvision.php?mdm=ec5...f4e5deb94b11209

He mostly watches ABC, SBS, a bit of commercial TV, and the occasional DVD. He's reasonably unfussy - as long as it's a good clean picture.

I took it home for testing and callibrating before taking it to his place. Here's what I found...

* Resolution may only be 852x480, but for a 32-inch, this is just fine for undemanding ex-CRT owners who sit 2 or more metres away, and just want a smooth, natural picture for regular SD viewing.

* Chassis is simple and fairly elegant.

* Swivel stand can be very handy - certainly for him.

* 2 component inputs are also handy.

* No dead pixels.

* No sound sync problems.

* Blacks are not as deep as - say - a Panasonic, but given the overall high contrast, they're fine unless you're a real stickler.

* Permanent burn-in is hard to achieve, despite what many say. Fine-Shift was better switched off. When it's on, the picture will bump occasionally.

* No inbuilt Digital TV Tuner, of course. I've given him my old DGTEC HDTV set-top box. After a lot of testing, I found that the smoothest, cleanest, most noise-free results were obtained by outputting 576i from the set-top box. Any other rez (576p, 720p, 1080i) resulted in quite a lot of digital processing noise. 1080i resulted in occasional de-interlacing problems, depending on the program. So 576i is the way to go - even with HD channels.

* As the TV won't accept 576i over HDMI, I went Component instead. DEFINITELY the best way to go with this TV.

* For his purposes, this TV gives a MUCH more natural tube-like picture than even a $1500 32" HD LCD would, so I'm very happy with the purchase. So is he. At $648, it's an excellent buy.

The TV really needs callibrating. Here's how to get the most accurate pictures...

Use Component with 576i (not HDMI).

Picture Mode: USER

Contrast: 48

Brightness: 54

Sharpness: 50

Color: 43

Hue: 0

Color Temperature: STANDARD

Digital Noise Reduce: LOW

Edited by Haggis2

Sounds great, as I posted earlier if these units take off in the market place (and especially if they edge down to around $500) they will become the de-facto CRT replacement for those people who don't want or need a 60 inch monster in their small lounge room or bedroom - roll over 32 inch LCD or lift your game B)

Thanks for the review Haggis, I'm leaning towards the Soniq now :)

If anyone else could post their reviews too this would be great.

I was wondering about a few things though:

1. How is the de-interlacing for 576i? Does it have any of that nasty bob de-interlace flicker?

2. Did you try 576p, 720p and 1080i via HDMI or component? I would have thought 1080i via HDMI on this plasma should look the best?

3. Can you elminate overscan by using the horizontal/verical size/position settings, and does it remember the settings for each input/display mode?

4. Can it display 50hz and 60hz video natively (i.e no frame rate conversion/judder)

Thanks!

Edited by Ikari

Sounds great, as I posted earlier if these units take off in the market place (and especially if they edge down to around $500) they will become the de-facto CRT replacement for those people who don't want or need a 60 inch monster in their small lounge room or bedroom - roll over 32 inch LCD or lift your game B)

Damn straight. Been thinking about a 26" lcd for the kitchen, but if the pic on this thing is acceptable, for $650 I reckon this might be a goer. Only annoying this is that it doesn't have a digital tuner which will necessitate an external stb which is going to have pretty low WAF. Hoping I can work something out with a tiny stb and a universal remote so that two remotes aren't requires and the stb can be hidden behind the tv.

tiny stb

I remember seeing these small (~15cmx15cm) Telefunken stb's that you clip onto the back of your panel TV. I think it was from Kmart/Target/BigW but can't remember which one, sorry.

universal remote

How about the Harmony 360 at Officeworks for $49?

I remember seeing these small (~15cmx15cm) Telefunken stb's that you clip onto the back of your panel TV. I think it was from Kmart/Target/BigW but can't remember which one, sorry.

How about the Harmony 360 at Officeworks for $49?

Yes, thanks for pointing out the telefunken. Dick Smith sell the same one, just with the DSE brand on it. Problem is that it's SD only (which is fine, I guess, although I would like access to 10HD), but mostly that it only has composite out. Wintal have an SD box that's a little bigger than that telefunken one (about hand sized), that has an IR emitter on a cord, so it's meant for hiding. Will do component though, which makes me a bit happier than a composite only unit (even if it is really, really small).

I actually have a spare Harmony 880 lying around so could use that, but it's quite big - the Harmony 360 could be better, but the problem with getting an extra stb and extra universal remote is that suddenly the $650 tv, costs you $750, so maybe I should just consider a 26"lcd with HD tuner built in (sure i'll be able to find something for under $800 soon), just 'cause it's easier to have everything integrated...

Edit: $49 for a harmony remote??! Wow, I'm tempted to get one for everyone I know at that price, because it's so cheap and they're awesome. (Actually, a search on the OW site is only showing the 525 for $189. Is this an instore only or catalogue special?)

Edited by jakes

Okay, I have a question about this Soniq, having looked at the manual I haven't been able to work out the answer:

Is the stand permanently attached? The dimensions don't indicate whether they're just panel, or panel with stand, and there's no instructions for removing or attaching the stand in the manual. Assuming that the stand does come off, are there holes on the back for wall mounting?

The one I saw on display @ JB had a stand.

Anyone know how my Nintendo Wii would look on this 32" Soniq Plasma? The Wii can only do 480P but can this TV handle that??? Also the Wii has a few 60hz games, can this TV handle 60hz??

The one I saw on display @ JB had a stand.

Anyone know how my Nintendo Wii would look on this 32" Soniq Plasma? The Wii can only do 480P but can this TV handle that??? Also the Wii has a few 60hz games, can this TV handle 60hz??

Specs in the manual say it will do 480p over hdmi (definitely) and component (I think).

I hope component as thats all the Wii Does

Well the manual states 'compatibility' with 480p. Since it specifies hdmi compatibility separately, I would assume it's referring to component (as composite or s-video don't do progressive, and if they were talking about VGA they would have described it as a pc type resolution, I think). Anyway, I reckon it'll connect to a wii @ 480p without problems (although you could always take your wii in store to check).

$49 for a harmony remote??! Wow, I'm tempted to get one for everyone I know at that price, because it's so cheap and they're awesome. (Actually, a search on the OW site is only showing the 525 for $189. Is this an instore only or catalogue special?)

Unfortunately the special for the 360 has ended and they are back to $69, which is still pretty cheap, but I see your problem with having to spend all this extra money on a STB and remote when really the TV should have an inbuilt tuner.

.... but I see your problem with having to spend all this extra money on a STB and remote when really the TV should have an inbuilt tuner.

Dead right, with HD boxes now available for far less than $100, how much would it actually cost these companies to put a HD tuner in -- $20, $30 ??? Who knows.

However if they are aiming their products to people upgrading from their old Rank Arena who don't want to pay $2k for a big TV, they should look at putting tuners in ASAP. Joe and Jane average expect to be able to take a product home, switch it on and start enjoying straight away. My last CRT came pretuned to Brisbane - our local Retravision used to do that for all their sets as the poor old ladies (and a few of the blokes as well) used to complain otherwise :lol::lol:

Dead right, with HD boxes now available for far less than $100, how much would it actually cost these companies to put a HD tuner in -- $20, $30 ??? Who knows.

the poor old ladies used to complain otherwise :lol::lol:

:lol:

Still going strong I hope? Excellent little plasma for the bedroom!

Yep , great still PQ - has been moved to the study and replaced by a Philips 50" that is also great.

Don't know about this burn-in talk - never had any problems in over 4 years.

Have you guys seen the latest WOW Catalogue (Qld, Darwin, Coffs Harbour and Albury residents get it only judging by the store locations)? On the back page it has an NEC 32" Plasma, 852 x 480 resolution with HDMI and HD Tuner built in. Price is $879 and the pic on the catalogue shows a nice all black plasma. Might try and check it out on the weekend.

Brazzwald

Sounds good but for that price you could get a Soniq 42" without a HD Turner. NEC might have a better name tho. No Idea

Edit - Just checked out the Catalogue and it seems ok.

Edited by DR.ZOIDBERG

Have you guys seen the latest WOW Catalogue (Qld, Darwin, Coffs Harbour and Albury residents get it only judging by the store locations)? On the back page it has an NEC 32" Plasma, 852 x 480 resolution with HDMI and HD Tuner built in. Price is $879 and the pic on the catalogue shows a nice all black plasma. Might try and check it out on the weekend.

Brazzwald

Yep. Betta Electrical have it listed for $899 on the back of their latest brochure.

I'm sure it'll be a better quality panel than the Soniq, but you never do know till you test 'em.

Model number is PXT32XD3.

Had a look at the Soniq 32" plasma today and here's what I noticed:

• you need to be about 1m away from it to not see the pixels (aka screen door effect)
  • the de-interlacing is ok, it weaves sections of the video where there is no motion and bobs things that are moving. I did notice that if there was motion around fine text or a watermark, you could see that area flicker as it resorted to bob for that part of the screen (other panel TV's seem to suffer from this too though)
  • not 100% sure but there seemed to be a bit of blurring with moderate speed pans. The image was not rock solid, but this couldve been due to shutter speed. Looked at some pans on the tennis and cricket and it seemed a bit blurrier than I wouldve expected from a plasma. Would I be wrong to expect the same crystal clear motion you get with a CRT?

The cheapest price I could get was $650 (apparently this is pretty close to cost price)

Overall I think it's a good buy at that price but would be much keener if they were around the $500 mark.

Found out there is also a Soniq 32" with built-in HD tuner for an extra ~$100.

Had another look at it again today, here are my findings:

• Sound quality was a bit poor
  • When setting the screen to all white I could see the 10 watermark burned-in, and some other burned-in graphics in the centre of the screen.
  • Comes with 12 month warranty, $70 extra for 3 year warranty

added:

Despite the above, I'm still kinda willing to buy one of these with a 3 or 4 year warranty.

Edited by Ikari

Found out there is also a Soniq 32" with built-in HD tuner for an extra ~$100.

Had another look at it again today, here are my findings:

• Sound quality was a bit poor
  • When setting the screen to all white I could see the 10 watermark burned-in, and some other burned-in graphics in the centre of the screen.
  • Comes with 12 month warranty, $70 extra for 3 year warranty

added:

Despite the above, I'm still kinda willing to buy one of these with a 3 or 4 year warranty.

How did you go about setting it to all white in-store? Interested to use this to check on my 2yo+ soniq 42"

Are your review findings all from a 1 metre viewing distance?.

How did you go about setting it to all white in-store?

There was an option in the menu to set it all white. I could only notice the burn in on white screen, otherwise I couldnt see it. The manual says the all white function "refreshes the display" - I guess this means if you leave it on white screen for a while it should remove burn in over time?

Are your review findings all from a 1 metre viewing distance?.

Well I had to stand around 1m to notice the de-interlacing at work, but I did move back about 2m which I would view it from at home and it looks quite good from that distance.

The colours are quite nice too.

But I just realised the TV does not have any audio outs or headphone jack :(

They really need to put a headphone jack and a HD tuner to make it worth buying IMO. I don't think I'll buy one just yet.

Checked out the LG 32PC5RV whilst in Singapore.

Honestly, it's stunning - was being fed by a Blu-ray player. It was flanked either side by a Sony and Sharp Full HD Bravia/Aquos and and despite being thousands less, clearly had the superior PQ.

If these cheaper plasmas are using the same LG panel then lucky us!

Be interested in peoples experience with the PC in i.e. will it do 1:1 pixel mapping over VGA or HDMI and does it support the Wii's 480p output via component?

+ Would love photos of all the 32 inch plasmas discussed!

Edited by strayan