32 Inch Plasma

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased the tv yesterday and hook it with an aldi std tv box through s-video and a dvd-player through Y...B something.

Both are working fine.

The std box is $35 not $100.

The plasma uses LG panel made in China in 0108 and the tv outside finish is acceptable but quite distant from perfect.

The picture is quite good but the color is a little bit over-saturated. I can change the color mode to soft in watching tv but switch back natural in watching dvd.

I think the overall quality of the tv in my 24hrs ownership is quite good and I don't think you will buy the same thing at a lower price even in China.

10/03/08

The std box is $35 not $100.

Onya jiancheng, I've seen a few of the new plasmas in stores now and they look just fine compared to the few CRT tvs that are still around. When I said $100 of course I was referring to the HD set top box. The SD box won't get you 10 Hd, 7 HD or any new multichanneling that 9 eventually decide to put out, but that's not a problem, at the moment, for a second TV. I'm in the same situation with a small CRT in the bedroom running off a $40 SD box. If I want to watch 10HD I just go into the lounge room and watch on the 'good' tv :D

For anyone interested in perth,the good guys osbourne pk have a SD NEC 32plama with a HD tuner,price on it was $999 but im sure could be had for less,PQ wasnt to bad was tempted for my bedroom.

NEC PXT-32XD3 Review comes with built-in HD tuner. Though the extra resolution of HD programming will be lost on this screen, at least the content from those services is accessible.

At AU$900 the NEC 32XD3 may have some issues, but when viewed in the context of its LCD competition, the picture quality is mostly strides beyond. If you're looking for a cheap TV then this unit represents a good buy.

• 2 weeks later...
I reckon the Soniq 32" plasma ( no inbuilt tuner, it looks better than the one with it onboard) from JB at $599 is a pealer. add the 5 year warranty to protect your interests.

That's exactly what I did (and you can haggle with JB so just don't except the sticker price either). Fantastic tele for the bedroom and matched it with a toppy masterpiece it's perfect.

Guest vooder

Got the 32" Soniq Plasma for $530 yesterday. Got a few dollars off plus JB is running a 10% off TVs promotion at the moment.

I've looked at both the AWA at Big W (currently $574) and the Soniq and found them to be almost identical. Peering through the glass, beyond the boundaries of the viewable area of the panel, you can see the same assemblies. The patterns made by the dithering used by the chips driving the panel look the same (diagonal lines can sometimes just be made out when standing up close to the screen).

The AWA displays the AWA logo in big red letters when switched on. I don't remember seeing anything like that on the Soniq. The Soniq has a better, more modern looking bezel than the AWA in my opinion.

Something a videophile might have an issue with is the black levels which are more like a very dark gray than black when you are watching in a dark room. It does not look much different from the kind of black levels you get from a cheap LCD. I don't feel it detracts from the overall enjoyment of the TV. I couldn't tell during the day or with a light on.

The glass covering the panel does not seem to have an anti glare coating but I didn't find that to be a major problem.

As a previous poster said, the screen door effect is visible from a distance of 1 metre. Beyond that, the picture resolves nicely.

When studied closely, it is obvious that the panel can not generate nearly as many real colours as an LCD panel can. I believe this is the case with most plasmas. Dithering, when done badly, I have found can be really distracting. Fortunately the dithering used on this panel is very good. Darker colours are represented quite well. There is very little (if any) banding on colour gradients, better than I have seen on many cheap panels. From greater than a distance of about 1 metre, this

dithering successfully fools the human eye into seeing a much greater array of colours. Quite pleasing PQ overall. Also I could not see any dead/lit pixels.

The colours are very vibrant and bright, I think it is a strong suit of plasmas. Like another poster here I had to make some minor adjustments to the settings to get the best picture. When I first turned it on flesh tones looked orangy-red. With adjustment they look perfect. I think manufacturers do things like this to make them stand out when used on demo at a retailer.

As suggested by another forum member I used an STB running component video at 576i. The SD STB signal over component looks very good. I didn't notice any flickering or interlace artifacts. I doubt that feeding it with an HD signal is going to look any better. I don't think the unit with the HD tuner for an extra $200 is really worth it, except that you'll be using the one remote to control both the TV and STB devices which is handy. There are buttons on the remote that came with my TV which are obviously meant for this purpose.

There are plenty of inputs, 2 component, s-video, composite (seperate from S-Video), HDMI and VGA. There is an audio connection for VGA through a headphone socket.

The speakers came set with default settings of bass 0 and treble +8. This indicates to me that the manufacturer doesn't feel they are particularly special. I'd tend to agree, they sound a bit boxy and unexciting. With a little extra treble and a little less bass I found them to be less boxy and quite acceptable. My main TV has always had a decent Yamaha sound system connected, so anything built in to this unit was always going to be a step down.

Overall I am stoked with my budget purchase at the very low end of the plasma market. This unit seems to be very good value for money. Once I got it away from the shop and played with it at home it worked much better than I expected. I am very glad I opted for this screen over a cheap (and likely smaller) LCD panel. :D

Edited by vooder

• 2 weeks later...
Got the 32" Soniq Plasma for $530 yesterday. Got a few dollars off plus JB is running a 10% off TVs promotion at the moment.

Overall I am stoked with my budget purchase at the very low end of the plasma market. This unit seems to be very good value for money. Once I got it away from the shop and played with it at home it worked much better than I expected. I am very glad I opted for this screen over a cheap (and likely smaller) LCD panel. :D

Hey Vooder,

After your comments I checked out this panel and the HD tuner version.

Nice indeed, I myself may get one for the bedroom.

http://www.digitalhome.com.au/Home_Audio_V...ch_Plasma/22020

Cheers

Struggo

Aldi have the Tevion 32" SD plasma again, and this time it's $499

http://aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_4865.htm

Did anyone get it last time?

At this price, thinking about it for the bedroom....

Wow $499, I might just get one!

On the other hand I did see the soniq with HD tuner showing 10HD , the program was 9am with david and kim , and it definitely looked wayyyy clearer than the SD picture on the soniq next to it.

I think this screen really shines with a HD signal.

Guest eelynot
Anyone got any feedback on the Tevion 32" plasma from Aldi $569? It uses a LG panel, is that good? It says it has an analogue tuner but has the DVB and Dolby Digital symbols in the ad so does this mean it has at least a SD digital tuner? Do Aldi do extended warranty? At least they offer a 12 month in home warranty.

Feedback, lasted 21 days before it went black, has sound , have rung the warranty people didnt sound interested but are supposed to send someone in two days, will back it in I have to ring them back and I end up at Aldi for a slanging match

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to decide between the Soniq 32" which is now $499, and the 42" which is $799.

Which one would you guys get? I am interested to hear your opinions.

Edited by pneu

Wow $499, I might just get one!

On the other hand I did see the soniq with HD tuner showing 10HD , the program was 9am with david and kim , and it definitely looked wayyyy clearer than the SD picture on the soniq next to it.

I think this screen really shines with a HD signal.

Hi

I bought one of these when they were on sale a few weeks ago at $499. I am very happy with it, it is much better than what I was expecting for $499. I? have seen some other cheap plasmas and they were very ordinary compared to this one. I got it to replace an old 68cm CRT in the bedroom; the size, brightness and vividness of the colours are almost overwhelming in the bedroom. It has a good array of inputs and outputs with the only notable exception being a headphone socket. I have some wireless headphones for late night TV watching which keeps the peace with the other half.

Overall I'm very impressed with it and Aldi also have a good warranty and returns policy.

• 1 month later...

I was told by JB they'd sold out of the 32" Soniq plasmas and awaiting another shipment.

Aldi will get them again and Big W's AWA 32" Plasma (also $499 on sale in the past) will be back I'm sure.

I'd say the Chinese factory can't pump them out fast enough but I'm sure retailers are doing everything possible to get them back on the market in time for the Olympic Games coverage. ^_^