32 Inch Plasma

easy, you do one for 6 months, and then continue yearly. rego's now 6 months apart. when we bought our secondhand car with 6 months rego, thats what i wanted to do, but Hubby went straight into yearly, so now we have rego in the first week of January and the insurance in Febuary. now back on topic, BribieG says the awa is quite a nice little unit. :)

i think thats just a queensland thing................i had a car that was due dec 23rd.................no luck changing the rego here

back on topic...................well done bribieg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys

I am in the market for a spare TV for my gaming room. I do not wanna spend heaps so I was looking at these 32" Plasma's for around $600-$700.00.

I have seen 3 different brands now, which are as followed.

AWA - BIG W

GVA - The Good Guys

Soniq - JB HiFi

They are all around the same price with the same Resolution of 852 x 480. Not sure what ones have HDMI inputs but I would like one with a HDMI input.

I think the GVA one at The Good Guys had written on the box - Supports 576i, 720p & 1080i which confused the hell out of me when the Resolution clearly states on the box - 852 x 480. I will be using this TV for my Nintendo Wii and TV watching now and then as I have my PS3 connected to my Sony Bravia 1080p Set. I also have a Sharp 32" LCD 1024 x 768 which I did use for some time with my PS3 and it did look nice, showed of the PS3 power quite well, not as good as my Sony tho. Just wondering tho, how will one of these 852 x 480 Plasma's running my PS3 compare to my Sharp 1024 x 768 running my PS3? Since it states on the box it can handle up to 1080i

I am new to the Plasma area as I have always purchased LCD. Do Plasma's suffer for the same problem that LCD's do with dead pixels? Is this common on Plasma's too? How about screen burn in on one of these Plasma's? Would this be a problem using it as a game TV??

If anyone could reply to this post with some helpful information and what one out of these three 32" plasma's is the best or if you have seen another brand one I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance!!!

Zoidy

You can get 32" plasmas with better resolution than these... I've got a 32" Philips in the bedroom with 1024 * 852 res.

Cost $6K in 2003, I bought it a couple of years ago on eBay for ~$800. The guy had won another 42" plasma in a club's raffle.

Specs here: Philips Spec sheet(PDF)

Has an ALiS panel so presumably from Fujitsu/Hitachi. Okay little bedroom plasma. No HDMI (a bit too early) but has one DVI port.

Cheers

Ron

Edited by hobotivo

Hi Guys

I am in the market for a spare TV for my gaming room. I do not wanna spend heaps so I was looking at these 32" Plasma's for around $600-$700.00.

I have seen 3 different brands now, which are as followed.

AWA - BIG W

GVA - The Good Guys

Soniq - JB HiFi

They are all around the same price with the same Resolution of 852 x 480. Not sure what ones have HDMI inputs but I would like one with a HDMI input.

I think the GVA one at The Good Guys had written on the box - Supports 576i, 720p & 1080i which confused the hell out of me when the Resolution clearly states on the box - 852 x 480. I will be using this TV for my Nintendo Wii and TV watching now and then as I have my PS3 connected to my Sony Bravia 1080p Set. I also have a Sharp 32" LCD 1024 x 768 which I did use for some time with my PS3 and it did look nice, showed of the PS3 power quite well, not as good as my Sony tho. Just wondering tho, how will one of these 852 x 480 Plasma's running my PS3 compare to my Sharp 1024 x 768 running my PS3? Since it states on the box it can handle up to 1080i

I am new to the Plasma area as I have always purchased LCD. Do Plasma's suffer for the same problem that LCD's do with dead pixels? Is this common on Plasma's too? How about screen burn in on one of these Plasma's? Would this be a problem using it as a game TV??

If anyone could reply to this post with some helpful information and what one out of these three 32" plasma's is the best or if you have seen another brand one I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance!!!

Zoidy

Zoidy,

I checked the Soniq out at JB today. For what I need it for (2nd screen in the bedroom) I reckon they're pretty good. Plasma's don't get the dead pixels like LCD's but they probably need a bit more TLC when you're using them with gaming machines - I turn my screen off if I'm leaving the room for any amount of time.

I wouldn't be too worried about the resolution - at that size you won't see much difference. Just because a screen says it can take a certain input doesn't mean much as it will scale it to what it can output but as I said, at that size you won't really notice. For around $650 they're hard to argue with and that's considerably cheaper than the equivalent LCD's. I'll be grabbing an extended warranty which will add another 50 to 70 bucks.

Thanks for the reply guys

So mcduck you think the Soniq would be the best one to go for?

Did you notice a HDMI input and did you see if it states like the GVA one did that it can do 576i, 720p and 1080i when you saw @ JB? What was the price again?

Edit - I also saw a AWA LCD 32" for $790ish or so at Big W. What are peoples thoughts on this compared to the Plasma?

Edited by DR.ZOIDBERG

You can get 32" plasmas with better resolution than these... I've got a 32" Philips in the bedroom with 1024 * 852 res.

Cost $6K in 2003, I bought it a couple of years ago on eBay for ~$800. The guy had won another 42" plasma in a club's raffle.

Specs here: Philips Spec sheet(PDF)

Has an ALiS panel so presumably from Fujitsu/Hitachi. Okay little bedroom plasma. No HDMI (a bit too early) but has one DVI port.

Cheers

Ron

errr, 32" Plasma's didn't come out till late this year, so I don't know how you could've bought one a few years ago, you either have the size mixed up and meant 42" or more, or you got the type of tv mixed up, it had to be LCD if it is 32" and was bought a few years ago.

errr, 32" Plasma's didn't come out till late this year, so I don't know how you could've bought one a few years ago, you either have the size mixed up and meant 42" or more, or you got the type of tv mixed up, it had to be LCD if it is 32" and was bought a few years ago.

errr, did you even look at the linked spec sheet? Clearly a 32" plasma and dated 2003 at the bottom of the second page.

We don't get every product released in Australia remember.

Edited by Shonky*

Hitachi used to have 32" screens years ago before LCD's were readily available in this size. They were a very nice set too

Thanks for the reply guys

So mcduck you think the Soniq would be the best one to go for?

Did you notice a HDMI input and did you see if it states like the GVA one did that it can do 576i, 720p and 1080i when you saw @ JB? What was the price again?

Edit - I also saw a AWA LCD 32" for $790ish or so at Big W. What are peoples thoughts on this compared to the Plasma?

the duck has no comments, i would still prefer one with a tuner, so i'm going to sit back and wait..but ......we've had no trouble with the awa brand

Try googling the model number then... 32fd9954

Probably used the same Panel as the Hitachi that chrig mentioned.

And it must have been released in AU because it came from Harvey Norman's Fyshwick store, I have the original receipt.

Cheers

Ron

I reported on the AWA further up this page. One thing I didn't mention was that although there wasn't an HDMI port, the blurb on the front of the TV stated "HDMI compatable", which I take it means you can use an HDMI adapter to connect an HDMI source to component or whatever it does?

Incidentally there were a few 37 inch plasma panels out there some years ago but I think they were mostly for commercial use in stores, airports etc.

And there were some very small plasma screens on early model 'luggable' computers but monochrome only, amber or green. Plasma didn't suddenly burst onto the scene with Pana loungeroom monsters :P etc, it's a farily old and mature technology that continues to improve.

And there were some very small plasma screens on early model 'luggable' computers but monochrome only...

Don't forget the fabulous IBM 3290 plasma display panel for mainframe systems... The first flat panel I ever saw! A huge (by the standards of the day) 19" amber plasma... We had 2 or 3 in the research lab at Westpac in 1984... My goodness, they were brilliant... You could have 1, 2 or 4 mainframe sessions running simultaneously and swap between them, which was never previously possible on one screen. Turned out to be too dear for general use, sadly :(

I just googled and there's photo of one here, about 5th pic down Haven't seen one for years, brought back memories!

Cheers

Ron

Edited by hobotivo

I went into JB HiFi today and had a good look at the 32" Soniq Plasma and thought I purchasing one until the sales guy said it was no good for gaming due to burn in's and the image quality it produced. The blacks on the screen looked gray compared to the LCD next to it, I thought this might be due to bad setup but the sales guy said its just the TV

Anyone agree of disagree???

What are your thoughts on this soniq 32" plasma image quality and is it good for Video games?

I went into JB HiFi today and had a good look at the 32" Soniq Plasma and thought I purchasing one until the sales guy said it was no good for gaming due to burn in's and the image quality it produced. The blacks on the screen looked gray compared to the LCD next to it, I thought this might be due to bad setup but the sales guy said its just the TV

Anyone agree of disagree???

What are your thoughts on this soniq 32" plasma image quality and is it good for Video games?

As you read the forums, you will note that for gaming, the recommendation is that LCD screens are better

Edited by robbie!

As you read the forums, you will note that for gaming, the recommendation is that LCD screens are better

thing about gaming is that if you are sitting fairly close then LCD's higher resolution would be far more noticeable. However, depends on your gaming. Arcade type shoot em ups would probably look ok on the plasma but forget anything requiring sharp graphics, like Age of Empires.

I was told by the sales guy from JB not to get a Plasma for gaming due to the burn in as games have life bars and information bars that dont go away and after some good gaming time, this will burn in. I really didnt wanna spend too much on a TV for my Nintendo Wii so I was looking at the 32" Plasma which is $600ish, a good $300-400 cheaper then a LCD. Oh well, better start saving again

I was told by the sales guy from JB not to get a Plasma for gaming due to the burn in as games have life bars and information bars that dont go away and after some good gaming time, this will burn in. I really didnt wanna spend too much on a TV for my Nintendo Wii so I was looking at the 32" Plasma which is $600ish, a good $300-400 cheaper then a LCD. Oh well, better start saving again

If burn in was such an issue with plasmas, wouldn't everyone be getting burn in with watermarks and pillarboxing on TV programs?

It sounds a bit extreme to say a plasma TV should not be used for videogames. Maybe if you're playing the same game 8hrs a day every day then maybe it's not good for the screen but a few hours of gaming a day shouldn't hurt it, I would think.

As soon as these 32" plasmas come down to ~$500 I'm getting one that's for sure :)

I was thinking the same Ikari but I keep getting advised that LCD is the way to go for gaming. I would like to get one of these 32" Plasma due to the price.

Soniq 32" Plasma $648

TCL 40" LCD $999

Almost $400 difference, and I have never heard of TCL before

Would the thousands of people who use their plasmas to play games like to let zoidy know. I'm not sure what you mean by "keep getting advised". I'm sure if I was a salesman, I'd prefer to sell you something for $1000 than $650 so I'd be telling you anything to convince you of that...