[eoi] - Samsung 50" P9 Group Buy

Hi,

Does anyone know the name of the salesman/woman at the Hurstville store?

I went to Myer City Sydney and the guy said he would match it, but they needed a name to call and verify. Otherwise they would only do $2600.

Incidentally he also said their cost price was $2400.

Thanks!

That's a good price, does that incl. delivery? The original amazing price from Hurstville was $2537 + $189 (1 addtional year warranty) + $35 delivery=$2741, so $2537 + delivery is $2572, so $2600 is not far off.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to those that provided me with copies of receipts.

I ended up with one for $2537.

Myer Brookside and Chermside (QLD) were both happy to honour the price. The salesman told me on more than one occasion that it was a very good price I had - but I already knew that.

Also took the 1 extra year warranty for $199 (expensive for Myer I guess) and $35 for delivery.

Very happy - now the wait begins - they were talking 15th of Feb, due into their warehouse.

gibby157

Well thanks again Gibby!

I purchased one for $2537 at Myer Northland (Melb), just walked in, showed the receipt and asked if they could match this price, salesperson called their manager to check, and agreed! :D

I also picked up the extra 3 year warranty to make it 5 years total, and I don’t think I got that much of a bargain at $528!? (HN had quoted $380) I argued with this price but he showed me the Jan 08 price list and mentioned it would be the same across Melbourne, I didn’t really believe him but didn’t feel like running around Melbourne trying to save $140! :huh:

In the end I am happy with the total price of $3076 with 5 year warranty, it beat the best price I was able to manage by approx $600 :D

Now waiting for delivery, expected to be mid Feb at this stage.

Sorry guys I don’t have a copy of the full receipt yet, just the sales docket, will let you know when I do.

Andrew

That's a good price, does that incl. delivery? The original amazing price from Hurstville was $2537 + $189 (1 addtional year warranty) + $35 delivery=$2741, so $2537 + delivery is $2572, so $2600 is not far off.

No, delivery is also $35. It's still not far off, but if I can save an extra $63 why not! :)

No, delivery is also $35. It's still not far off, but if I can save an extra $63 why not! :)

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie here chasing the PS58P91FDX.

It sounds like 2600 (inc delivery) is about right. (2yr st warranty)

If we add another year (total = 3) we get 2800 ??

If we add another 3 (total=5) it seem 3k is about right ??

I'd be going for 5years. My cousin has put two lamps in his rear pro samsung at about 1300 a go :wacko:

Every time I look at the 100Hz LCD's and hear about the plasma crackle I wonder if plasma is such a great idea.... :blink:

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie here chasing the PS58P91FDX.

It sounds like 2600 (inc delivery) is about right. (2yr st warranty)

If we add another year (total = 3) we get 2800 ??

If we add another 3 (total=5) it seem 3k is about right ??

I'd be going for 5years. My cousin has put two lamps in his rear pro samsung at about 1300 a go :wacko:

Every time I look at the 100Hz LCD's and hear about the plasma crackle I wonder if plasma is such a great idea.... :blink:

I agree it's a hard decision -- I've been running around Sydney all day looking at TVs and trying to get some honest opinions from the dealers. Some prefer LCD to Plasma, others the opposite.

Here's what I heard:

LCD -- runs cooler, uses less electricity, very sharp picture but still some problems with sports and "motionflow" (despite 100hz)

Plasma -- runs hotter, uses more electricity (and thus costs more to run), no issue w/"motionflow", great picture for sports, great picture for SD TV.

I have been trying to choose between a Bravia 46X and the 50in Samsung p91. Ultimately I think I'll choose the Samsung because it comes with the extra 26in LCD and is cheaper. So basically for a little over $3k I'm getting one incredible TV and one little LCD, as compared to spending nearly $4k and getting one incredible TV and a blu-ray player.

Just my 2cents..

I agree it's a hard decision -- I've been running around Sydney all day looking at TVs and trying to get some honest opinions from the dealers. Some prefer LCD to Plasma, others the opposite.

Here's what I heard:

LCD -- runs cooler, uses less electricity, very sharp picture but still some problems with sports and "motionflow" (despite 100hz)

Plasma -- runs hotter, uses more electricity (and thus costs more to run), no issue w/"motionflow", great picture for sports, great picture for SD TV.

I have been trying to choose between a Bravia 46X and the 50in Samsung p91. Ultimately I think I'll choose the Samsung because it comes with the extra 26in LCD and is cheaper. So basically for a little over $3k I'm getting one incredible TV and one little LCD, as compared to spending nearly $4k and getting one incredible TV and a blu-ray player.

Just my 2cents..

AFAIK the Samsung promotion ended a week or so ago? I was in the same boat a couple of weeks ago, choosing between the Sony Bravia 46X3100, and the Samsung 50" P9 but along the way I ended up looking at the 47" Philips. Personally I think the picture quality of the Philips 47" LCD is comparable to that of the Sony Bravia 46X but none of the stores had them side by side so it is hard to judge. I get 3 years manufacturer warranty with the 47" Philips and the promo comes with a 32" LCD instead of the Samsung 26" which is way too small unless it is for your bedroom.

AFAIK the Samsung promotion ended a week or so ago? I was in the same boat a couple of weeks ago, choosing between the Sony Bravia 46X3100, and the Samsung 50" P9 but along the way I ended up looking at the 47" Philips. Personally I think the picture quality of the Philips 47" LCD is comparable to that of the Sony Bravia 46X but none of the stores had them side by side so it is hard to judge. I get 3 years manufacturer warranty with the 47" Philips and the promo comes with a 32" LCD instead of the Samsung 26" which is way too small unless it is for your bedroom.

The promotion NOW ends on the 29th FEBRUARY!. (Extended)

Haven't heard much about the Philips LCD or the promo -- can you provide more details and links to reviews?

I'm still pretty much set on the Samsung, but would like to hear about your experience.

Cheers!

Haven't heard much about the Philips LCD or the promo -- can you provide more details and links to reviews?

I'm still pretty much set on the Samsung, but would like to hear about your experience.

Cheers!

Free 26" LCD with all 1080p displays (incl. P9) extended to 28th Feb 2008

http://www.samsung.com/au/experience/promotion/index.html

Check out P9 owners thread for experiences/problems

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=58937

Hi all,

So I ended up back in Myer City Sydney this afternoon and I got to talking with the manager, Hamid. I ended up doing the TV for $2461 plus 5 yrs for $539. All up it was $3k, plus $35 for delivery -- total $3035.

Also, I signed up for the new Myer points card (they're no longer taking flybuys), and the guy said I get $20 for every $1k I spend -- so another $60 in store credit.

Cheers,

grphone

Hi all,

So I ended up back in Myer City Sydney this afternoon and I got to talking with the manager, Hamid. I ended up doing the TV for $2461 plus 5 yrs for $539. All up it was $3k, plus $35 for delivery -- total $3035.

Also, I signed up for the new Myer points card (they're no longer taking flybuys), and the guy said I get $20 for every $1k I spend -- so another $60 in store credit.

Cheers,

grphone

Great price! Did you get the TV price first then got the extended warranty or was it a package price? If you can get it for $2461 without the warranty then that's excellent.

Yeah, when buying from Myer, make sure you get a Myer One card for the credit vouchers and pay by gold credit card for 1 extra year warranty (if your not getting extended warranty)

Great price! Did you get the TV price first then got the extended warranty or was it a package price? If you can get it for $2461 without the warranty then that's excellent.

Yeah, when buying from Myer, make sure you get a Myer One card for the credit vouchers and pay by gold credit card for 1 extra year warranty (if your not getting extended warranty)

I got mine as a package -- otherwise I doubt they'd do it for just $2461. He was willing to do it for the Hurstville price ($2537) but when I pushed them on the extended warranty they bundled it all together for $3k.

I also paid with AMEX Platinum which should give me added protection.

Cheers,

grphone

WOOAHH !! thats $539 for an extra 3 years on warranty !!! IMO this is OUTRAGEOUS !!! Who's getting commission here ???? 1/5 of the price for warranty.

I totally agree. But when I went to other stores (HN, JBHiFi, etc) they couldn't get close to the total bundled price -- $3k with 5 yrs warranty. So yes, I'm guessing Myer are making heaps on the warranty and getting less on the TV -- which for the sales guys is probably what matters, since they are probably highly incentivised to "upsell" these warranties.

I'll try to post a scan of the receipt in the morning.

Rgds,

grphone

One more thing -- mine's arriving Feb 15 also. There must be a huge Samsung container floating into Sydney harbour around then... :)

My guess is that the prices will continue to go down. The manager was very quick to agree to my price. So probably if I had waited another 2 weeks I could have gotten another few hundred off...

Oh well. My wife will be pissed no matter what, so who cares. :mellow:

One more thing -- mine's arriving Feb 15 also. There must be a huge Samsung container floating into Sydney harbour around then... :)

there's a few of us on that same ship - as long as it doesnt go to the 'bottom of the harbour' !! :blink:

WOOAHH !! thats $539 for an extra 3 years on warranty !!! IMO this is OUTRAGEOUS !!! Who's getting commission here ???? 1/5 of the price for warranty.

I agree, then again I don't believe in extended warranty....unless it's free :D

I got mine as a package -- otherwise I doubt they'd do it for just $2461. He was willing to do it for the Hurstville price ($2537) but when I pushed them on the extended warranty they bundled it all together for $3k.

I also paid with AMEX Platinum which should give me added protection.

Cheers,

grphone

Amex Platinum extends your warranty to 3 years, which overlaps your Myers warranty. Not all extended warranties are the same. Plenty of threads on extended warranty...very interesting reading.

At least you get 5 years piece of mind...

Edited by Geoff888

Amex Platinum extends your warranty to 3 years, which overlaps your Myers warranty. Not all extended warranties are the same. Plenty of threads on extended warranty...very interesting reading.

I just tried to get Good Guys Nunawading (VIC) to match the $2741 price (inc 5 yr wty) on a Myer recpt that gibby157 sent me, no luck.

The best they would do was just under $3K, but they said that their extended warranty is far better

than others. as it covers failure due to wear and tear (so they say). Not worth an extra $250 to me, but I'll have a look at some of these warranty threads as it may affect which shop I try next for a price match. I've decided to go for 5 yrs warranty as I reckon there is a good chance that the screen will need repair within that time, if only because of the heat and buzzing issues we've been reading about.

I've been planning on using Good Guys or Harvey Norman by preference, purely because of the price match promise for the next 30 days, but now you've got me thinking.

Also, if anyone has a receipt from a store in VIC that sold a PS50P91FDX for under $2600, I'd appreciate it at emckissock@yahoo.com.

I just tried to get Good Guys Nunawading (VIC) to match the $2741 price (inc 5 yr wty) on a Myer recpt that gibby157 sent me, no luck.

The best they would do was just under $3K, but they said that their extended warranty is far better

than others. as it covers failure due to wear and tear (so they say). Not worth an extra $250 to me, but I'll have a look at some of these warranty threads as it may affect which shop I try next for a price match. I've decided to go for 5 yrs warranty as I reckon there is a good chance that the screen will need repair within that time, if only because of the heat and buzzing issues we've been reading about.

I've been planning on using Good Guys or Harvey Norman by preference, purely because of the price match promise for the next 30 days, but now you've got me thinking.

Also, if anyone has a receipt from a store in VIC that sold a PS50P91FDX for under $2600, I'd appreciate it at emckissock@yahoo.com.

I'm getting the impression Myers has better buying power and therfore a better "cost price" or the price drop has yet to filter thru to the other retailers (or they're not willing to pass it on).

At least you get 5 years piece of mind...

Yes, I guess it's going to be covered one way or the other...:) In any event, I've found that for high-end TVs extended warrantys are actually worth it -- I've had one of my LCDs replaced after 2+ yrs for no cost.