Sign in to follow this  
Brazzwald

New Lg 1080p Lcd

Can someone confirm wether any other HD Set Top Box shows other channels EPG's?

I think LG have misunderstood the question. They probably think you are complaining that not all channels have EPG info.

I can confirm that I have a $50 set top box which has a proper EPG that can display content from multiple channels at once.

Also I have an LG DVD recorder which has an EPG that looks quite similar to the one in the 42LY3DE, but it works properly and displays info from multiple channels.

I think that they just have a bad software implementation in these tvs

I called the LG service line. They put me onto a local service company who checked with LG to see if there was a newer software version - there isn't

They sent out a service technician anyway and even though I pointed out sections in the PDF version of the manual that shows that it is supposed to work properly, he did not seem entirely convinced that there was anything wrong with it. He said that he would send an email to LG.

As stated there are products out there that display the FTA EPG data really well - panasonic products with EPG support do this well IMO.

The EPG data available is 7 days for CH7, 9 & 10, 2 days worth for CH2 and Now/Next for SBS. This is what the braodcasters provide. It can vary in regional areas.

The other option is to see if you can change the 'view'. On my two DVB equipped gear (HD PVR and Plasma), you can switch the EPG between landscape and portrait modes. Portrait shows selected channel info only, whereas, landscape mode shows multiple channel info but only over a smaller time window - eg 2 hours.

I have a Topfield 5000PvrT, twin tuner SD, and it can receive and display 7 day EPG from all channels, and keep it when changing channels.

I also have a Beyonwiz DP-S1 and it can store and display the 7 day EPG from channels and keep it when changing channels.

Both machines store the EPG from each channel and display all channels available in a grid. It also uses that EPG Guide (as they call it) to allow programs to be selected for recording, and automatically titles the recording from the EPG.

Both machines do NOT lose that EPG information when switching channels, but they only update that particular channels EPG when you are on that channel.

To have a DVR function that cannot remember EPG information seems primitive to me.

Also, the LG's "Scheduled Recordings" do not remember the title -- if the set is not previously on the same channel as the recording when it starts, it gets the title "No title"!! (even if the EPG was present when you set up the recording event.)

Try having a page of "No title" programs in the "X-Menu" -- since the LG doesn't even time stamp the recording, it gets to be a challenge to rename a "full" evening of recordings....

LG's approach to customer complaints and enhancement requests leaves a lot to be desired...

Why can't they "actively" develop the firmware, allow us to download it to a USB stick, and just recognize a firmware update when that USB is inserted into the TV ??

Nah! That would be simple and effective, wouldn't it ??

Thanks Harry - Things are starting to make sense now.

By the sounds of things, the EPG is cached when you surf other channels.

I am guessing that my TV does not have a 'cache facilty', hence why i does not 'remember' the EPG from other channels.

Reading LG's response again, think they understood my question, and did not tell a lie in their response, just neglected to explain why it is possible on other hardware devices - clever people :-)

So - as a cache would require some form of hardware, I am guessing that any firmware update, if it exists, would not fix the problem.

What a pain, but still not a major inconvience.

Thanks Harry - Things are starting to make sense now.

By the sounds of things, the EPG is cached when you surf other channels.

I am guessing that my TV does not have a 'cache facilty', hence why i does not 'remember' the EPG from other channels.

Reading LG's response again, think they understood my question, and did not tell a lie in their response, just neglected to explain why it is possible on other hardware devices - clever people :-)

So - as a cache would require some form of hardware, I am guessing that any firmware update, if it exists, would not fix the problem.

What a pain, but still not a major inconvience.

I see no reason why this couldn't be an in-memory cache that only persists while the set is on -- even that would be a great step forward. BTW, LG HD set top boxes DO cache the EPG, so it really is only a firmware issue.

Timmysone

Purchased at HN Knox City - Melbourne.

$3,200 was a negotiated price - paid by credit card.

I wouldn't think that interest free would apply.

I gained an extra years warranty on a gold card payment i.e. 3yrs + 1yr.

Recycle...............

I am looking @ the same model (LG 47LY3DE LCD). Has anyone been able to beat 3k2 in Melbourne yet?

Thanks

Recently purchased the 42LY3DE and first impressions are fantastic. :)

I have checked, and noticed the same EPG issue as described above, however, I do get all Channel info when on the selected channel. E.G. 10HD and 10 full guide when ch 10 selected.

For those people wondering, it cost $2795 from Bing Lee on 4 yrs interest free.

I haven't had the time to sit down and play with all functions/settings, does anyone have recommendations on premium settings?

my step mum all most bought one of these today.

called me and asked if she should from harvey norman.

I said no get the hell out of there... let me do some research.

The specs actually look pretty good, didn't realise the DVR was HD.

Still its an LG? lol

I purchased a 47LY3DE (47") and so far am very happy with the picture quality and the new vastly improved remote layout and function. (previous LG remotes have been awful) I know because I own many LG products. I haven't played extensively with the tuners but it appears at first play to be able to record one channel and allow you to watch another (but not record 2 channels at the same time) Unlike my LG LS-5402 HD D/PVR which is disappointing. (Maybe I'm wrong and need to play more?) Anyway price was $2799.00 on 22 Months Interest Free at Harvey Norman.

I also considered the 42LY3DE (42") for my office to be used a computer monitor and multi-media entertainment system for when customers are not around. The best price I got offered on this was $2150.00 only a couple of days ago from Harvey Norman and $2350 from the Good Guys (though Good Guys "promised" to beat the best price from HN) these prices were based on cash/card (no terms). BUT in the end I went for the LG 42LB9DF (42") without the internal HD Recorder simply based on 2 factors. Price: $1740.00 (Good Guys after being best price quoted by HN $1800.00) and the fact I already owned the LG LS-5402 HD D/PVR. Again very happy with the screen/panel and remote (which is exactly the same as the 47LY3DE remote and would be again the same as the 42LY3DE)

I have my computer connected via 1 of the 3 HDMI ports and my computer recognised the LG Panel instantly. As a PC screen it is awesome, the picture is sharp, clear and clean.

Just waiting on some HDMI cables I have coming from HK to connect my HDMI upscaling LG RH1888H HDD/DVD Recorder.

All in all to date, a very happy camper with both displays.

Have just bought one and VERY happy with TV performance, but a little disapointed with DVR capabilities (although recorded results are fantastic!) Has anyone hooked up an external Hard Drive yet? I tried last night unsuccessfully, but will have another go tonight. A big Motorsport fan, and had intentions of keeping seasons F1 & MotoGP on a Back-up HD, but if I don't sort out how to do it soon, I'm gonna run out of space on the 160GB! Have purchased a Western Digital 1TB Essential HD - so should be good for a couple seasons if I get it all to work!

Cheers all

Have just bought one and VERY happy with TV performance, but a little disapointed with DVR capabilities (although recorded results are fantastic!) Has anyone hooked up an external Hard Drive yet? I tried last night unsuccessfully, but will have another go tonight. A big Motorsport fan, and had intentions of keeping seasons F1 & MotoGP on a Back-up HD, but if I don't sort out how to do it soon, I'm gonna run out of space on the 160GB! Have purchased a Western Digital 1TB Essential HD - so should be good for a couple seasons if I get it all to work!

Cheers all

I bought a 500 Gb Maxtor external HD & had the same problem. You have to format the external HD through the TV menu/ dvr /usb format option. It should work fine after that, But the only downside is a PC will not recognise the HD after you do this. Which leads to a new question how do you burn your recordings to a dvd disk?

I bought a 500 Gb Maxtor external HD & had the same problem. You have to format the external HD through the TV menu/ dvr /usb format option. It should work fine after that, But the only downside is a PC will not recognise the HD after you do this. Which leads to a new question how do you burn your recordings to a dvd disk?

Dam! Or even more important, you can't Edit either - I new about the reformat process, but I don't think it will recognise 1TB as I had to partition the drive to get it to work!

I am looking at one of these from HN this weekend. A couple of questions for long time users.

1.) Has any firmware update been issued?

2.) If so, has it resolved the EPG issue?

3.) If an external drive is fitted, I assume via the USB port, has anyone worked out a way to use this drive to record to DVD?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Edited by Pursya

I just bought a 47LY3DE from the good guys for $2640 + $209 for an extra 2 years warranty.

Only problem now is they did not have any in stock so i have to wait but they cant give me a ETA on it.

as the above poster asked i am curious about the firmware updates, is it possible to update your own or it something which LG has to do at their end?

I finally got around to contacting LG about the EPG issue today.

I recieved a reply that there is a firmware update available for my TV.

I have emailed back as to what this update does as I don't want to drag the TV to the service centre if it does not address the issues of the EPG.

Will keep you posted.

I finally got around to contacting LG about the EPG issue today.

I recieved a reply that there is a firmware update available for my TV.

I have emailed back as to what this update does as I don't want to drag the TV to the service centre if it does not address the issues of the EPG.

Will keep you posted.

so what's the go, did you get a new firmware and if so where can we get it from?

Kezza

Edited by test

so what's the go, did you get a new firmware and if so where can we get it from?

Kezza

I received no reply to my last email so I emailed again as if it was a new call.

I was told to ring the "software upgrade line" (1800 725 385 9-5 M-F) which I did today.

The "upgrade line" informs me that no such update exists!

Nasty letter on it's way to LG tomorrow morning. I would hope that all owners of the LG 42 & 47" Hard Drive models do the same.

Only if we speak up will they do something.

Send letters to;

Product Manager

LG Electronics

2 Wonderland Drive

Eastern Creek

NSW 2766

Edited by Pursya

I have this TV and I am keen to see the out come.

Have you written a letter to the above address?

Only way we will get satisfaction is weight of numbers.

Write now!

Let me try and give some frank opinions in dot point of my first impressions of

the 43LY3DE I Bought the 42LY3DE from HN.

I have foxtel (not digital foxtel) as a composite input.

I have Philips DVD as a component input.

* DVDs replay quite vividly through component inputs, even though by definition,

they don't use up to the rated 1080p definition (576 PAL in fact).

* I watched an old movie "Bridge on the River Kwai" it looked absolutely superb,

as if it was filmed recently. That's a credit to the dvd restoration job plus

the TV. I had progressive scan on - slightly sharper picture.

* I honestly can't imagine how blu ray (using full 1080p) can limprove on an already looks fabulous picture for standard DVD - it is that good. (I don't

have blu ray, perhaps someone who does can comment).

* There is no issue (at least for me) about fast action sequences (e.g. sports)

playing back on this screen. I say this because it has been mentioned that

sports sequences would be more enjoyable on more sophisticated, newer models than

this one, with higher refresh rates. I think this is an exaggeration and nitpicking.

* Ordinary satellite foxtel (not HD) which I have looks 'as expected'... It is on

par with watching it on CRT. So it is not as 'sharp' as one might expect. But

this is most probably to do with composite connections. Hope it improves with

component which I will do soon.

* The recording live TV, pausing rewinding feature is pretty neat and is

accessible any time. I am still playing with this, learning how to record one

channel while watching the other.

* I don't have a good aerial to pick up Free to Air, but when I get a signal, I

have had the chance to watch Neighbours (just for picture analysis I assure you)

which I think is shot in HD. Absolutely stunning, right up close also. But, I honestly cant say I can notice the difference between DVD quality on HD neighbours.

In a nutshell, DVDs replay excellently, it is affordable (less than $2K), useful DVR, built in speakers do a reasonable job of handling stereo and surround and bass effects in absence of a true surround sound speaker system, easy to setup, plenty of future proofed inputs (3x HDMI).

I am happy so far.

Hi All,

First post.

I purchased a 42LY3DE yesterday. I watched a blue-ray disc last night, and was impressed.

Was told by the salesperson that this TV was 100Hz, which I have since found out is not. (I'm quite annoyed as I normally research the product quite extensively first, but purchased this TV, as the picture looked great, also Full HD). As I watch alot of sports, I'm not too sure what I'll be missing out on having a 50Hz as opposed to a 100Hz.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Jase

I have a 42ly3de as a replacement to the previous version of this model. I had ongoing issue with the previous model in that all my recordings would be lost after a months worth or recordings and deletions of recordings.

After replacing the hard drives and motherboard it still did not resolve the issue. So they gave me this model as a replacement.

I can tell you the difference between the two and some are good and some aren't

The height of the TV is lower than previous model.

The plastic casing has shrunk to make it more compact and give impression of smaller TV than it is and also refinements also made it weigh about 20kg lighter than previous.

The subtitles text is smaller so it is now not as bad at blocking the picture.

The EPG is better than the previous model... actually has 7day guide and shows all channels at the same time. Previous one only shows the guide of the channel you are on. Note: the new model sometimes does not show guides of all stations.

It allows you to highlight the guide and add it to schedule recordings and if there's a conflict in schedule it will add it as a watch list instead and will change TV channel to it when time comes.

The recordings playback is slow to load the recording to playback and thus you will see a black screen for about 2 seconds before it plays the recording you want to watch.

Lost the looping function within the playback where you can use the mark button to mark a time in the playback and have it play that over and over.

Schedule recordings and manual recording changed from start time and end time to start time and duration time... this makes it hard for you to ensure you don't conflict with another schedule recording. They have also taken away Weekday recording as an option which forces me to set daily recordings and on weekend I have to re-adjust to force it to recording Monday and don't record the weekends. If I sent Weekly for each program from monday to friday as a work around, I run out of space to add more scheduled recordings.

New model has USB input to allow you to load mp3 and pictures and plug an external Hard drive to it. However, the External hard drive is only to serve as a space expansion as it formats the HD to their own raw format and move recordings over to it.

Oh, also anyone able to enable the Booster option in the setup?

I have ran into a few issues which I have not called LG about as it is intermittent. During playback of a recording, if I rewind to see a portion of missed event and resume at the spot I want, it doesn't do it. It looks like it did but on resume playback at the point it rewinded to, it would go back to the point before I rewinded. Work around seems to be to pause at the rewinded point you want... wait a sec or two and than resume playback... And this only work sometimes.

You may find this one really funny but it thinks it is Microsoft... It will reboot when the TV hangs. How it get to the point where it hangs you ask? It happened when I rewound to a portion of the live tv I missed and going back to Live. It stopped responding to anything and eventually it rebooted itself. But this has only happened once maybe twice.

This is with S/W Ver 3.06 ... which may answer some of the EPG questions. I had the TV change late in Nov 2008. Around there anyway.