New Lg 1080p Lcd

LG's new model allows the user to plug in an external HDD

LG surprises with more plasmas

This Time Machine Link television features a fully-specified PVR, similar to the PG79, except that it doesn't come with a hard drive. Instead, you add your own via the on-board USB port, which potentially gives a lot more flexibility as you're not restricted by the amount inside the TV.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jeronim
3.) If an external drive is fitted, I assume via the USB port, has anyone worked out a way to use this drive to record to DVD?

This may help somebody: I haven't figured out how to get the recordings onto a DVD so that a DVD player can play them, but you can copy the files from the external drive onto a windows computer using this ext2 driver, and then watch them using Mplayer Portable.

• 3 months later...

I just called LG about the EPG porblem with the tv, they seem to think that there is no issue with the tv and nothing is wrong with it. It is doing as it is suppost to apparently. I think its a load of crap and somehting nees to be done to fix it. I put un a sugguestion to fix it but unless they get enough complaints about it they wont fix it.

• 5 weeks later...
This may help somebody: I haven't figured out how to get the recordings onto a DVD so that a DVD player can play them, but you can copy the files from the external drive onto a windows computer using this ext2 driver, and then watch them using Mplayer Portable.

I'm trying to do the same but a quick question is how did you manage to dismount the drive cleanly as my computer won't mount it as it detects it with ext3 format with transaction logs still to be completed? and have you figured out a way to transfer it onto DVD's? I'm thinking using mplayer to reencode.

Thanks

Thanks for that jeronim. Do you know of a way to convert these files to something more media friendly on other computers ? .mpeg or .wmv or similar.

• 1 year later...
Guest Pursya1

Just an update on my 47LY3DE.

With the start up in digital channels happening I found that ch80 had no sound. This was not a bother as at the time they only showed the same as WIN(9). But now 80 is a complete new channel called GEM so the tuner needs attention.

I have held off on doing this for a while and now 2 new problems have emerged, Firstly, when I hit the "guide" button, about 60% of the time this will cause the TV to shut down and reboot. Most annoying. I have of course reset the TV to "factory settings" but the problem persists.

And the newest problem. From the time I press the "On" button, startup time has gone from about 10 seconds to around 90!

TV was purchased in August 2008, so the 3 year warranty still applies. I also purchased another 4 years on top of that so the total warranty is 7 years. Happy I did that!

Guest Pursya1

Just an update on my 47LY3DE.

With the start up in digital channels happening I found that ch80 had no sound. This was not a bother as at the time they only showed the same as WIN(9). But now 80 is a complete new channel called GEM so the tuner needs attention.

I have held off on doing this for a while and now 2 new problems have emerged, Firstly, when I hit the "guide" button, about 60% of the time this will cause the TV to shut down and reboot. Most annoying. I have of course reset the TV to "factory settings" but the problem persists.

And the newest problem. From the time I press the "On" button, startup time has gone from about 10 seconds to around 90!

TV was purchased in August 2008, so the 3 year warranty still applies. I also purchased another 4 years on top of that so the total warranty is 7 years. Happy I did that!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Pursya1

Update.

Bit the bullet and took it off the wall and in to the service department last week.

Got it back yesterday and all is functioning correctly, including the EPG showing all channels.

They replaced the main board and a "couple of other components". All the recordings on the hard drive were still there so that was untouched.

software version is now 3.06.

Crossed fingers that that is the last of the problems, but I think this will not be the last time this TV will be off the wall!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Pursya1
Update.

Bit the bullet and took it off the wall and in to the service department last week.

Got it back yesterday and all is functioning correctly, including the EPG showing all channels.

They replaced the main board and a "couple of other components". All the recordings on the hard drive were still there so that was untouched.

software version is now 3.06.

Crossed fingers that that is the last of the problems, but I think this will not be the last time this TV will be off the wall!

Got to love LG's.

When I got the unit home there was breakup on the internal and external hard drive recordings.

So back in to the shop it goes. All fixed, but....

The external hard drive does not hold recordings any more. The unit rejects the hard drive and wants to reformat it. Reformatting it holds recordings for a time, but eventually they disappear and the hard drive is rejected. I have tried other hard drives with the same result.

So back to the shop we go!