Sign in to follow this  
skouta

New Samsung F81 Series

The 40" F81 on display at Myer Melbourne CBD is also displaying the wave.

Myer were stating they had 10 of F81 46" in stock at lunchtime Saturday.

Didn't ask about a price.

Which Myer store??? I was told there aren't any until Xmas....oops you did say Melb.... :P

Edited by Highlighter

hrmm so whats the deal with the 14day replacement policy if they dont have any instock and wont for several weeks?

I suspect this could be solved by firmware - has anyone asked Samsung what the deal with that is?

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, just joined today.

Bought the 52" F8 last week (preorder) got it delivered on saturday just gone.

4990 from Good Guys in Brighton, Melbourne.

The screen is awesome - still figuring out how to get the picture right - most of the time the modes I turn 100hz to off.

I do notice when flicking from Movie mode to normal and dynamic, the image on the screen seems to make the colours negative - I end up with green everywhere - the setting i changed was under detail settings for the YXYBYG or something like that. The setting in the manual with the sticker over the text. I quick input change and it goes right.

Have any of you used a usb device yet? I plugged in an IRiver with JPGs and MP3s. The mp3s play well and quick loading, but the JPGs are so slow at changing to the next image. I wonder if that is the usb or the device being read? anyone else had any issues?

One good thing to buy is a Power Surge Shield from dick smith for $19 on special - covers upto $25000 if your tv goes while plugged in directly to it. (no power boards though!)

Anyway, wonderful screen and i am happy to take the plunge and upgrade the sony 80cm :)

Cheers

Vape

Edited by r2vape

Which Myer store??? I was told there aren't any until Xmas....oops you did say Melb.... :P

If Samsung are saying to call the place of purchase to replace, does this mean the new batch

has been fixed?

They obviously must know what the problem is, and it doesn't appear to be a firmware fix,

otherwise you'd assume that would be their first recommendation.

Is it possible to get a refund with the wave issue? anyone knows ?

of course.. its a fault.. :)

Just spoke tosales rep N from Chatswood Myers and basically said that he will personally call samsung and find out exactly what is going on in regards to this wave issue. Will get back to me with further details. I shall post here as sson as i found out where SAMSUNG sits with this issue.

Man i hate being told to wait 2 weeks +/- for a replacement TV, i really hope theres enough in this second shipment to replace all of the faulty first shipments.. Also FYI rung Samsung regarding which serial number to fill out when doing the redemption Bonus 26" offer, they told me to use the original serial numbers even though the Tv is being replaced!!!

Hi BGH,

Have you tried 1080p/24 at 48Hz or 72Hz with your HTPC?

Philby

Haven't tried yet, running at 60hz at the moment which is what it defaulted to. Don't know how I will get it to 48hz, will most likely have to use powerstrip wont I?

BGH, do you see the wave from the following: select a radio channel (we want a black screen), then menu/input/edit name

Haven't noticed any waves, will let you know when I get home from work.

Can someone confirm this TV can not do Picture-in-Picture (PIP)? The PIP function on my TV is not active.

The manual mentions for PIP to work the TV needs two built-in tuners.

Ta

The only input I have used is DVI and the PIP functionality is disabled. I thought it might have just been for that particular input but that doesn't really make sense. So I am guessing PIP doesn't work.

Just spoke tosales rep N from Chatswood Myers and basically said that he will personally call samsung and find out exactly what is going on in regards to this wave issue. Will get back to me with further details. I shall post here as sson as i found out where SAMSUNG sits with this issue.

Aren't there any Samsung reps reading these forums???? any info on whats going on with the F81 would be appreciated. :blink:

OK the rep guy just called me back and he got in touch with a rep from Samsung and apparently he told him that they have become aware of the wave issue from this morning as they have received 4 calls thus far (is this from you guys? lol) in regards to this problem. the samsung customer service guy said that they are not aware of any issues with this particular model nor have they received any complaints up till this morning. He went on to say that the F81 has been in circulation in the US for over about a month and they have not received any complaints in regards to a wave issue with that particular model.(possible PAL issue then?)

Samsung customer service reiterated that if the customer wants to return the tv, to organise with retail of whom they purchased from and wait for a replacement which would arrive 17th December (SYDNEY CUSTOMERS!) or a full refund will be made.

Personally, I think some people are jumping the gun here and saying its a fault. Guys play with your settings and see if you can diminish the wave from appearing. Once you have, post your settings here so that others may try and see if they can eradicate the wave appearance.

With regards to the "wave" issue.

I cannot see any wave at all when I select Dynamic Mode for Picture Viewing. However when I select the Standard or Movie Mode this is where I can see the faint wave (and I mean very faint)

I don't see a situation where I would not be watching in Dynamic Mode so I would therefore not have the issue. I have watched DVD, Foxtel & FTA via Dynamic Mode and have no issue. I will try and see what happens when I play a DVD through it which has plenty of dark scenes so I can see if the wave is apparent.

I also spoke with Samsung Technical Support and the belief of the Tech was no matter what mode or how dull a picture I watch, the overall picture should still be sound...Therefore in his opinion (sight unseen) the TV is faulty...

agreed - it shouldn't matter what your settings are - there should be no weird picture problems... it may look shithouse thou :P

I actually prefer movie mode over Dynamic - especially for TV/movies so the wave is fairly apparent to me!

Is it possible to get a refund with the wave issue? anyone knows ?

I did ask Myer Chatswood about this and they said if I have all the packaging and invoice there shouldn't be a problem with a refund....I'll have to speak to the manager on Thurs......apparently he's not in until then <_<

I just took mine back for a refund. (My problem was much worse than the wave).

I figure with the current stock shortage and no idea whether or not this problem will be fixed with the next batch, that I might look at something else.

Hopefully Samsung fixes the problems soon!

OK the rep guy just called me back and he got in touch with a rep from Samsung and apparently he told him that they have become aware of the wave issue from this morning as they have received 4 calls thus far (is this from you guys? lol) in regards to this problem. the samsung customer service guy said that they are not aware of any issues with this particular model nor have they received any complaints up till this morning. He went on to say that the F81 has been in circulation in the US for over about a month and they have not received any complaints in regards to a wave issue with that particular model.(possible PAL issue then?)

Samsung customer service reiterated that if the customer wants to return the tv, to organise with retail of whom they purchased from and wait for a replacement which would arrive 17th December (SYDNEY CUSTOMERS!) or a full refund will be made.

I don't want my money back, but i do want a tv that works perfect.

You don't fork over 3k to have a picture that has waves in it like some el cheapo crt.

Like some other fellow forum members, i don't use Dynamic.. i find the pic too bright... mostly use Standard and Movie.. so i can see the wave in most things. But in any case, it should work properly under all settings.

I can sometimes see it on a white screen too... because it generates a very mild pulsing. I guess some people are more suseptible to that sort of thing.

The rep response does concern me. If they aren't aware of this problem, why are they making us go back to the retailer and ask for a replacement? I don't want it replaced with another 'faulty' unit. The TV does work.... its just an annoyance so i can deal with it until a proper fixed / replacement is available.

The biggest factor is TIME. If you wait for something to be sorted out by Samsung..... the 14 day return will expire. If you return to soon, there'll just be hassle and you might end up with the same issue in the next tv.

============

With regards to the comment about this TV being sold in the US with no problem... we are on different firmware which could be part of the problem.

Also do they not consider the 1080p @ 24 problems, and other issues with the motionflow a 'problem'?

I just took mine back for a refund. (My problem was much worse than the wave).

I figure with the current stock shortage and no idea whether or not this problem will be fixed with the next batch, that I might look at something else.

Hopefully Samsung fixes the problems soon!

Just out of curiosity, is your problem like mine?

see photos.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/3093/ph...ecent063zk2.jpg

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/269/pho...ecent060in8.jpg

Just did some research on the European AV forums and the wave problem has been an issue over there as well. As far as I know the European models get a different chipset (it’s supposed to be better) to their US counterparts. If us Aussies get the new chipset maybe that’s the problem? I personally think it’s the new chipset not functioning properly with the AMP feature (hence, the US TV’s don’t suffer). I reckon Samsung just used the same algorithm on both chipsets and it didn’t get favourable results on the new ones.

FYI, AMP cannot be turned completely off (even when you select off, it is still working). There is a great deal of information about this on the US avs forums. AMP is causing TBE (triple ball effect) and juddering, even when it is turned off. The only fix is to turn on game mode. Consequently, game mode disables a lot of picture settings. In the US this problem can be fixed via a firmware update. I don’t know about you guys, but the TBE and stuttering I am experiencing is far more annoying than the “wave” problem. :angry:

No offence to the people on these forums, but I recommend doing some reading on both the European and US sites, as they can be very informative and intelligent :P. It’s a lot to get through by myself, but I think with a bit of research we can get to the bottom of these problems.

Just did some research on the European AV forums and the wave problem has been an issue over there as well. As far as I know the European models get a different chipset (it’s supposed to be better) to their US counterparts. If us Aussies get the new chipset maybe that’s the problem? I personally think it’s the new chipset not functioning properly with the AMP feature (hence, the US TV’s don’t suffer). I reckon Samsung just used the same algorithm on both chipsets and it didn’t get favourable results on the new ones.

FYI, AMP cannot be turned completely off (even when you select off, it is still working). There is a great deal of information about this on the US avs forums. AMP is causing TBE (triple ball effect) and juddering, even when it is turned off. The only fix is to turn on game mode. Consequently, game mode disables a lot of picture settings. In the US this problem can be fixed via a firmware update. I don’t know about you guys, but the TBE and stuttering I am experiencing is far more annoying than the “wave” problem. :angry:

No offence to the people on these forums, but I recommend doing some reading on both the European and US sites, as they can be very informative and intelligent :P. It’s a lot to get through by myself, but I think with a bit of research we can get to the bottom of these problems.

Links?

The biggest factor is TIME. If you wait for something to be sorted out by Samsung..... the 14 day return will expire. If you return to soon, there'll just be hassle and you might end up with the same issue in the next tv.

============

This is a good point, if the replacement TV has the same fault when it is deleivered, does the 14 Day commence from the date of the new install or is it expired?Are we then stuck with a TV that Samsung will have to come and repair...

Links?

Here is a link to the official thread in the EU forums: official thread

There is some discussion about the wave problem as well as TBE / stuttering. If you want to find out more about AMP / TBE / stuttering, there is an abundance of information in the US avs forums: avs forums

Just to confirm, I can run my HTPC at 1920x1080 at 24hz

PIC

Just realised you cant really see squat in that pic but oh well, you get the idea.

PIC

Just realised you cant really see squat in that pic but oh well, you get the idea.

Is there anyway to see the resolution settings within the TV itself?

I've seen other panels that show the incoming souce as being 720, 1080 etc.

In this tv, there doesn't seem to be any options to enabel more verbose information.

Even the channel info just shows HD or SD.

I'd like to know what type of HD the stations are sending.

Any ideas post on this site and let me know.

Cheers

Chris

PIC

Thanks BGH, is that via HDMI, can you do 1080p 48Hz or 72Hz?

Edited by Philby

I'm another with the 'WAVE' problem! Going to ring Myer tomorrow and see if I can get a replacement. Its like what you see when you take a video of an old CRT or old TV.

I wonder how Samsung can not know about this problem, how they can sell these units when its so obvious.

Edited by ninjason