Sign in to follow this  
skouta

New Samsung F81 Series

Thanks for the info on the wave issue.

I can see a very faint dark shadow that runs down the screen when I drop the picture settings and the backlight...This is the only time I can see something if this is actually it. The problem is I will never watch the TV at these low settings so when I turn the screen back to dynamic and raise the backlight, I have no issue...So is this the problem people are talking about or I am I getting this result based on the settings I changed....I suppose the question is should there be any change to the good picture no matter what I do to the basic settings...so even if the picture gets duller due to the settings I select should the picture be high quality but just a bit duller if you know what I mean...

The problem doesn't seem to happen as much on Dynamic because the screen is generally a whole lot brigher.

The best way to reproduce it is to use the Move or Standard picture setting, and then go to the Full Guide,

bottom left button.

Here the colors are pretty uniform across the screen, and its easy to see the pulsing (wave) effect.

It definately is more noticeable in the Movie mode.

I too am not sure if i should consider this normal or serious (its my first panel) but could see that after a while

it WOULD start to become annoying.. especially watching long movies in the dark, where you would definately turn down the brightness etc.

Waiting to see what others do, to determine my next action.

If i call samsung will they just tell me to arrange a return (from Myer).

Do i call the salesman i bought it from, or do i call Myer head office?

Is there a Myer hotline ?

Cheers

Chris

The problem doesn't seem to happen as much on Dynamic because the screen is generally a whole lot brigher.

The best way to reproduce it is to use the Move or Standard picture setting, and then go to the Full Guide,

bottom left button.

Here the colors are pretty uniform across the screen, and its easy to see the pulsing (wave) effect.

I too am not sure if i should consider this normal or serious (its my first panel) but could see that after a while

it WOULD start to become annoying.. especially watching long movies in the dark, where you would definately turn down the brightness etc.

Waiting to see what others do, to determine my next action.

If i call samsung will they just tell me to arrange a return (from Myer).

Do i call the salesman i bought it from, or do i call Myer head office?

Is there a Myer hotline ?

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm in the same boat as you. Not sure who should contact because I have called the place I purchased and they said to call Samsung to get them to organise a tech to inspect the TV and get a number....fault or report number.

Call Myer and ask for a replacement, they are the retailer so the 14 day replacement warranty will go through them.

Only problem is there isn't much stock at the moment, so you may have to wait like everyone else to get another panel.

That's right.

Stock is scarce so you will be waiting at least two to three weeks.

You'll find that, unless the retailer has stock , the only 1080p screen that are currently available are the "N" series which is the low end model.

The "M" and "F" series are currently hard to get.

All the initial shipment has been taken so we are waiting on the next shipment to arrive.

Ordering/Paying 2 x 52" F81 on Saturday, if lucky last two will be still in stock...

Got price too good to refuse, and the 26" freebie makes the deal even sweeter.

Sorry I can mention price its too sensitive but starts with $4???

Will let you know what they like, but already the forums are covering them as fantastic screens, and good value.

Hi TVbuddy, do you mind to send me a receipt of your 52F series, Binglee won't go anything below 5300 for it.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

bottom left button.

So is this the problem that people are talking about if it is then I have something similar only on the different settings.

I would be interested to hear if people had this on Dynamic Mode as well as the other modes.

On another note are Samsung asking people to phone the retailer and arrange a swap?? Does this mean they are aware of a problem otherwise you would think they would want to send a tech to find out what's wrong??? This is strange that sight unseen they would suggest an exchange...

Hi all,

Just ordered the 46" F81 today from Myer @ Southland (VIC) for $3,200 (plus $37.50 deliv).

Also got a MyerOne card and the points from the TV can be redeemed for a $60 voucher.

Overall deal makes the TV cost $3,177.50.

Then if you price the free 26" at around $800 ($999 retail in JB and Myer), that makes the 46" under $2,400...

SWEET!!

By the way, I mentioned to the salesman that two of my 'mates' had bought the TV from Knox Myer (as mentioned previously in this forum), and he matched the price!

Will be delivered 3rd Jan which is fine for me because I bought the t.v for a new place i move into in Feb.

Has anyone laid eyes on the White 26" LCD offered on the Samsung site? How do they look?

Thanks for all your posts guys - This forum saved me $300!!

Steve.

I too have just plunged on a 46" F81.

Got an awesome deal @ HN for $3100, No arm twisting at all!.

I notice that the free 26" is also available in white now-Is this new? I thought you could only get black.

What should I expect to be involved in installation/setup? Is this no brainer stuff or quite a task?

What about the 52" F81?

Has anyone got a good deal?

Edited by nova

This is strange that sight unseen they would suggest an exchange...

They didnt even ask a question and pretty much caught me off guard "replace it mate, is that all, see ya."

Had to ring back a second time to confirm in my own head by asking "have you had a lot of problems with these panels" Samsung rep replied "No, get it replaced, see ya" i think he may of been telling little white lies if going off the reports on this site indicates..

They didnt even ask a question and pretty much caught me off guard "replace it mate, is that all, see ya."

Had to ring back a second time to confirm in my own head by asking "have you had a lot of problems with these panels" Samsung rep replied "No, get it replaced, see ya" i think he may of been telling little white lies if going off the reports on this site indicates..

When they "Samsung" say replace it.......does it mean get the replacement from the retail store???

Yeah, this is exactly what they said to me too.

I rekon samsung are pretty aware of the problems with this panel now, seems like a very high number of the 1st batch all have problems. :angry:

When they "Samsung" say replace it.......does it mean get the replacement from the retail store???

Yep they do, just ring up the retailer.

I'm seeing the wave effect as well, although it is very hard to spot while watching something. However if I selected a radio channel (black screen), then press menu/input/edit name then there the wave.

I will call Myer tomorrow to get a replacement since you are all doing it.

Hey guys.

Sorry to hear a few of you are having problems with your sets.

I would like to ask you all as to firstly what made you all choose the Samsung, and secondly did you see it next to a Sony x series and what were your thoughts.

I ask this as I managed to get to see these running side by side from the same source and I was even allowed to have a little bit of a play (under the strictest of supervision of course) :).

I must say I personally preferred the Sony but the price of the Samsung and the free TV offer was almost to good of a deal to pass up, so I was wondering if any of you had come to the same crossroad but were swayed by the Samsung deal?

Cheers.

Got my 46" delivered on Saturday and all is going sweet. Shame some of you guys seem to be having problems.

I actually have to say I like the 100Hz option. Like people have said when you have it set to high the picture just looks really weird somehow, but if you have it set to low or medium it actually smooths the framerate out really well and makes it look quite cool. I thought it was just a gimick but I am going to keep it turned on.

Running everything through my HTPC at 1900x1080. Having a 1080p screen sure does make you realise how ass FTA looks :(

Got my 46" delivered on Saturday and all is going sweet. Shame some of you guys seem to be having problems.

I actually have to say I like the 100Hz option. Like people have said when you have it set to high the picture just looks really weird somehow, but if you have it set to low or medium it actually smooths the framerate out really well and makes it look quite cool. I thought it was just a gimick but I am going to keep it turned on.

Running everything through my HTPC at 1900x1080. Having a 1080p screen sure does make you realise how ass FTA looks :(

Hi BGH,

Have you tried 1080p/24 at 48Hz or 72Hz with your HTPC?

Philby

Edited by Philby

BGH, do you see the wave from the following: select a radio channel (we want a black screen), then menu/input/edit name

Can someone confirm this TV can not do Picture-in-Picture (PIP)? The PIP function on my TV is not active.

The manual mentions for PIP to work the TV needs two built-in tuners.

Ta

I'm seeing the wave effect as well, although it is very hard to spot while watching something. However if I selected a radio channel (black screen), then press menu/input/edit name then there the wave.

I will call Myer tomorrow to get a replacement since you are all doing it.

Me three :(. Wave is there regardless of the input source. Just put on something not so bright (I've seen it on DVD, PC input, and FTA even on dynamic mode but movie mode does make it more obvious) ... is there anyone out there who doesn't see the wave?!

Me three :(. Wave is there regardless of the input source. Just put on something not so bright (I've seen it on DVD, PC input, and FTA even on dynamic mode but movie mode does make it more obvious) ... is there anyone out there who doesn't see the wave?!

Has anyone called Samsung today about the 'wave' problem?

What has been their response?

The 40" F81 on display at Myer Melbourne CBD is also displaying the wave.

Myer were stating they had 10 of F81 46" in stock at lunchtime Saturday.

Didn't ask about a price.

Thanks alot bacco .

I have printed out your setting and config with my samsung . Now the wave seem to be disapper now . I can't really see it anymore .

Mode : Dynamic Contract : 69 Brightness : 45 Sharpness : 56 . Colour 55 Backlight 10 Digital NR off Active On Motion Plus 100hz off . Dnie on

Now i switch to Movie mode . Wave appear again . I do your config again apply all your setting correct just leave Mode on Movie Mode instead of Dynamic . this time . Wave gone again .

After playing around with it a little . i found out that have something to do with backlight feature . If i set backlight <=5 i can see the wave . If back light at max 10 i don't see anything . Bacco could you please apply your setting one more time and change backlight to 5 or 4 to see what happen .

The question is : Is this TV faulty or just we have to setting correctly . If you just reset all image setting and choose between 3 mode result is

Dynamic : you can see the wave but very hard to notice it

Standard : it visible

Movie : it very ovibious there is wave go up and down the screen . i already have my sister and my mom look at it and they also argeed there is wave running up and down the screen .

To matisha or anyother new F81 owner : If you read this message please try to do the same with your TV to see what happen .

Bye the way . i already called myer to get my tv replaced but they said they won't have stock until 17 December which is not very happy for me .

I have warranty problem with Samsung in the past and very happy with solution .

The wave does appear depending on certain scenes in a movie. As far as watching FTA, I haven't noticed the wave at all, only when watching a dvd film. When going into the menu option i can see the wave very faintly in the background, but again I have changed my settings and the wave appearance is very minimal now. When I get home tonight I will try and post the current settings of my screen. My opinion is that the wave appears due to the collaberation of the screen. Pick a dvd from your movie library where you can see the wave issue appearing consistently on the screen. Then try changing the settings around and see if the waves are gone.

If they are gone, its a collaborating issue.

If not then it could be faulty.

Like I said i'll try and post my settings tonight and see if you guys can replicate the wave issue with it

Edited by bacco

Has anyone called Samsung today about the 'wave' problem?

What has been their response?

I called Samsung this morning and was told to return to place of purchase and if the sales guy give you a hard time....ask them to call Samsung HQ and speak to the technicians there.

Myer Chatswood said there are no 46F until Xmas :( I guess I'll have to wait until then......