Sign in to follow this  
skouta

New Samsung F81 Series

I've had my F81 for about 20 months now. Its been flawless till this month.

The TV takes about 2 minutes to start up and display a picture on the panel.

This happens especially if the TV has not been switched on for a period of more than 2-3 hours.

There's a lot of clicking noises at the back of the TV for about 2 minutes and thats when it decides to start up.

However, say I switch on the TV now and switch it off... and start it again in about 5 minutes time, then it doesn't take time to start up.

Its almost like the TV is warming up if it hasn't started for a while.

Anyone else had any issue like this? Gotta call up warranty soon !

Edited by Rocean

However, say I switch on the TV now and switch it off... and start it again in about 5 minutes time, then it doesn't take time to start up.

Within a few minutes the components haven't cooled down and the capacitors haven't drained their storage. Start the warranty process ASAP!

I'm not very confident that we will see many of these LCD TV's running in 20-30 years time as could be reasonably expected with many of the old CRT televisions. I guess its got a lot to do with the increased complexity of the newer TV's as well as component quality control.

I've had my F81 for about 20 months now. Its been flawless till this month.

The TV takes about 2 minutes to start up and display a picture on the panel.

This happens especially if the TV has not been switched on for a period of more than 2-3 hours.

There's a lot of clicking noises at the back of the TV for about 2 minutes and thats when it decides to start up.

Call on your warranty now... What you are explaining as happening is just the start, the time it takes to turn on will get longer and longer and all you will hear is the clicking sound until it turns on and then one day it just won't turn on... I remember specifically reading this problem on the US Forum, Trust me on this... Call on your warranty ASAP...

Edited by skouta

thanks for your prompt replies. will call warranty up tomorrow.

just to confirm, when the TV was released (2007/2008), samsung offered us 3 years warranty right?

@skouta: if you don't mind me asking, what was the replacement TV you were offered mate?

Edited by Rocean

thanks for your prompt replies. will call warranty up tomorrow.

just to confirm, when the TV was released (2007/2008), samsung offered us 3 years warranty right?

@skouta: if you don't mind me asking, what was the replacement TV you were offered mate?

This has started happening to me now well about 2 weeks ago it started. I called up about the warranty the other day and I am taking it in on Tuesday. Fingers crossed they cant fix it and give me a whole new tv :) (doubt it).

Rocean what happened to your one?.

Mines been taking about 5 minutes to come on now. Lucky I brought a new 22in a month ago otherwise would be with no TV.

This has started happening to me now well about 2 weeks ago it started. I called up about the warranty the other day and I am taking it in on Tuesday. Fingers crossed they cant fix it and give me a whole new tv :) (doubt it).

Rocean what happened to your one?.

Mines been taking about 5 minutes to come on now. Lucky I brought a new 22in a month ago otherwise would be with no TV.

My f81 has now started the clicking thing when started still under warranty can easily fix it myself,two hours work compared to who knows how long for warranty repair.I would go warranty if i would get a replacement LED tv,has anyone recently had the clicking problem and had there tv replaced with a new LED tv.

My f81 has now started the clicking thing when started still under warranty can easily fix it myself,two hours work compared to who knows how long for warranty repair.I would go warranty if i would get a replacement LED tv,has anyone recently had the clicking problem and had there tv replaced with a new LED tv.

I doubt that you will get a new tv when all they have to do is replace 4 capacitors,my set was just done and was a relatively painless.

Clicking problem exactly as described started happening here about december, samsung came and replaced a board.

I put my TV in under warranty 4 weeks ago and the company still has not even looked at my TV yet!.

I put my TV in under warranty 4 weeks ago and the company still has not even looked at my TV yet!.

My TV has been faultless for since I bought it but the clicking and slow start as described started about 2 weeks ago. I will be rining on Monday morning for a warranty service....Keep you posted re progress..

RG

We have had our 46" F81 since early 2008 and like a few of you have posted, we have been experiencing the same clicking and slow start up, as described by Rocean, for about a week or so now. And every day it seems it's taking that little bit longer to come on...

Have any of you contacted Samsung and what has been your experience? Does anyone know what warranty came with these TV's? I have the receipt but it doesn't say. Any advice would be appreciated. Thx

We have had our 46" F81 since early 2008 and like a few of you have posted, we have been experiencing the same clicking and slow start up, as described by Rocean, for about a week or so now. And every day it seems it's taking that little bit longer to come on...

Have any of you contacted Samsung and what has been your experience? Does anyone know what warranty came with these TV's? I have the receipt but it doesn't say. Any advice would be appreciated. Thx

You have no problems,it is a full 3 years.

I doubt that you will get a new tv when all they have to do is replace 4 capacitors,my set was just done and was a relatively painless.

Only had to replace two 2200uf caps the two 10v 1000uf caps were already replaced from factory with 25 volt caps.There was one 10 volt cap that was not changed from factory it was not damaged but i changed it to 25 volts anyway.

The saga of this lemon is coming to an end...

I first purchased this TV April 08.

I had to return it FIVE times in a matter of weeks dealing with DOA, Lines, Splodges, early death, clicks, failure to turn on etc.

In retrospect, I should've asked for my money back... but the picture was by far the best at the time.

2 years later the panel failed...

took 2 months replace the panel under warranty.

1.5 years later the panel is failing again...

Luckily, I had Extended Warranty Insurance, and as the repaires have stated "Not Economical To Fix" I should get a payout...

3.5 years of TV with about 6 months of out-of-commision is NOT good.

Yes, it had a 3 year warranty, but it seems to have barely limped over the line. I was personally expecting at least 5 years from this set. I have 20+ year old trinitrons which are still going fine.

Next set will have a LOOONG extended warranty. I'm looking into a Sony, as much as I like the look of the Samsung 55" D8000, I just can't quite trust Samsung.

Now, the problem is, I'm not very impressed with "how far" LCD technology seems to have come in the last few years... and I still dislike Plasmas

Sigh.

(PS: no its not the PSU)

Next set will have a LOOONG extended warranty. I'm looking into a Sony, as much as I like the look of the Samsung 55" D8000, I just can't quite trust Samsung.

To each his own I guess, but IMO extended warranty is just an excuse for poor QC. And transferring the costs from them to us the consumers...

If my TV die I'm not going to get a new TV until these makers start behaving ethically... (Touch wood... Already 1 blown pixel on my old TV :ninja:)

To each his own I guess, but IMO extended warranty is just an excuse for poor QC. And transferring the costs from them to us the consumers...

If my TV die I'm not going to get a new TV until these makers start behaving ethically... (Touch wood... Already 1 blown pixel on my old TV :ninja:)

Yep,

And what's worse is these days you can't seem to get a decent factory warranty.

I've begun to look at the Extended Warranty as "guarantee of useful service life"

And It annoys me that I have to pay 2-300$, but if I get a 5 year warranty out of it, then at least I can be reasonably confident the TV will at least be in service for 5 years, with necessary repairs or my money back (well, that's how my current Extended Warranty Insurance works).